• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix confirms US, EU layoffs as part of restructuring

square-enix-1024x616.jpg

Square Enix is set to make an unconfirmed number of layoffs as part of its ongoing company restructuring, it told staff in an internal meeting on Monday, VGC understands.

According to people who were in attendance, Square Enix president Takashi Kiryu said that both the company’s American and European arms would be hit with layoffs, which will happen over the course of the next month.

The scale of the layoffs wasn’t shared, but staff were told that people working in publishing, IT, and Square Enix’s Collective indie games division would be predominantly affected.
Those affected will be informed this week. In the UK, employees will enter into a one-month consultancy period, as per local employment law, while US-based staff could leave their roles before June.

Following the internal meetings on Monday, many of Square Enix’s main Slack channels were locked, VGC was told.

VGC has asked Square Enix for comment on this story.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I love Final Fantasy and Square Enix big tent pole games but if this means they are cutting down on their smaller, more experimental games by "restructuring" the company only to focus on FF, then fuck that!

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It's funny, though, how ⬛ Enix has left certain cash-cows out to dry, like Chrono Trigger, DQ 3, etc. ..

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I seriously doubt Chrono Trigger is a cash cow in any way. People said FFVII Remake was a cash cow too.
The only cashcow they have is Final Fantasy and I think we know how well that seems to be turning out for them. I feel like the revenue of FFXIV is doing the heavy lifting. Their other core franchises in KH and DQ don't do as much?

Chrono Trigger has been a dead IP for a long time. Last time there was anything CT/CC related were the remasters on the NDS and I think the CC port that butchered the music.

Not really sure what kind of future SE has.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I guess the "Square just shot themselves in the foot." guy was right after all.

Three

Dang, looks like their last couple of big games must have missed internal projections.

Hope the effected land on their feet.
Nope, it's cancelled projects which we didn't see and smaller games hence why "Square Enix’s Collective indie games division would be predominantly affected".

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
If they were smart, they would have released their games on PC and PS5 simultaneously, charging Sony just a little less for the console exclusivity, after all, PS5 and PC are 80-90% of the market for games like theirs.

Myths

Some of these smaller teams are making uninteresting and absurd titles when they could be developing smaller scale FF/RPG/Hack ‘n Slash projects (similar to FF1-FF6). Something more in the field of a VAGRANT STORY… or a CHRONO CROSS … independent, original titles. OCTOPATH TRAVELER, BRAVELY DEFAULT, PARASITE EVE (or a very distant reimagining since rights were lost).

Instead, it’s a focus on nonsense mobile “cute” games.

Last edited:

Woopah

Some of these smaller teams are making uninteresting and absurd titles when they could be developing smaller scale FF/RPG/Hack ‘n Slash projects (similar to FF1-FF6). Something more in the field of a VAGRANT STORY… or a CHRONO CROSS … independent, original titles. OCTOPATH TRAVELER, BRAVELY DEFAULT, PARASITE EVE (or a very distant reimagining since rights were lost).

Instead, it’s a focus on nonsense mobile “cute” games.
I'm playing through Octopath Traveller II right now and it's fantastic. Glad Asano got promoted.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They put out a fair amount of games every year. Or have been the last few years. With various approaches from sequels, high budget and low budget, to new IP, etc.

A lot of it is just “ok” games. Valkyrie Elysium, Diofield chronicle, etc are “ok” games.

I wish them success like capcom.

Top Bottom