• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn - A historical thriller about America’s first spy ring - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Based on Alexander Rose’s book Washington’s Spies, AMC’s 'Turn' tells the untold story of America’s first spy ring. A historical thriller set during the Revolutionary War, 'Turn' centers on Abe Woodhull, a farmer living in British-occupied Long Island who bands together with his childhood friends to form the Culper Ring -- an unlikely team of secret agents who not only went on to help George Washington turn the tide of the war but also gave birth to modern spycraft.

'Turn', from AMC Studios, is written by showrunner Craig Silverstein (Nikita) and executive produced by Barry Josephson (Bones, Enchanted) from Josephson Entertainment.

The two hour series premiere airs Sunday, April 6 at 9/8c.

Cast

• Abe is a young farmer from Setauket who gets pulled into the Revolutionary War against his will.
  • Mary is Abe’s wife and the mother of their one-year-old son, Thomas.
  • Anna is Abe’s former fiancée and has been friends with Abe, Ben, and Caleb since childhood.

• Ben is a childhood friend of Abe’s and a Continental Dragoon in Washington’s army.
  • Caleb is a Patriot courier who has known Abe since childhood.
  • Richard is Abe’s father and the local magistrate of Setauket.

• Major Hewlett is the prideful and paranoid commander of the British garrison in Setauket.
  • Simcoe is a soldier in His Majesty’s Army serving under Major Hewlett’s command in Setauket.
  • Major André is the experienced and cunning head of British Intelligence.

Origins Comic

What events led Abe Woodhull, Anna Strong, Caleb Brewster and Ben Tallmadge to form what would eventually become the Culper Ring? Find out by reading the 'Turn: Origins' online comic, which traces the roots of their friendship back to their childhood and shows how a British occupation of their hometown of Setauket turned a farmer, a tavern owner, a whaleboatman, and a rebel soldier into Washington’s most valuable assets.

Videos

Turn - Trailer
A Look at the Series: Turn
America's First Spy Ring

Joy Williams & Matt Berninger - Hush (opening credits and theme from Turn)
The Loyalists: The Characters of Turn
The Spies: The Characters of Turn

The Ring - Teaser
Against - Teaser
Oath - Teaser
The Handler - Teaser
The Agent - Teaser
The Signal - Teaser
The Courier - Teaser

Promo Photos

haydDRF.jpg

rbn22dz.jpg

eWpn2q3.png

FivnuQN.png

Reviews

Washington Post
Despite some stiffness (and a whole lot of words crammed into the characters’ mouths, hastily delivered in an array of accents) Turn succeeds in making the War of Independence seem like a vital and fresh saga.... But the show struggles to lay out its characters and conflicts in a way that feels instantly addictive.

Philadelphia Inquirer
An uneven, if promising, period drama set during the American Revolution.

Philadelphia Daily News
I just wish that its 90-minute premiere was a tad more entertaining, because I found a lot to like in two subsequent episodes.

Variety
For all those neatly appointed trappings and period touches, Turn simply feels hollow at its core. And that, ultimately, is something even an accomplished spy ring can’t disguise.

New York Times
Once the ring gets going and the espionage kicks in, the story becomes clear and exciting. The battle scenes are disturbingly vivid, and most of the characters are interesting right off the bat.... But the premiere episode assumes that viewers are so familiar with the period and this more obscure chapter of history that the main characters’ allegiances, motives, and struggles will be clear from the outset. They are not.

San Francisco Chronicle
Turn is a fairly standard spy story. That doesn't mean it's bad, just not up there with what we've come to see as the gold standard for AMC: "Breaking Bad," "Mad Men" and "The Walking Dead."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sounds like they've got another Hell on Wheels on their hands. I'm a sucker for period stuff though, so I'm still looking forward to it.

I just cannot believe that those hairstyles were actually accepted at one point in history.

Just terrible.

Looking forward to the show though.

Effnine

Why would they put this against Game of Thrones?.

Why does this even matter anymore in the age of DVR? I mean, who doesn't have DVR capabilities at this point? (not to mention HBO GO and all the other ways people can watch TV shows nowadays) ...

That being said, I've already set the series to record and am looking forward to it ... hoping it's good ...

Sounds like they've got another Hell on Wheels on their hands. I'm a sucker for period stuff though, so I'm still looking forward to it.
Same. I always give any period pieces a chance and while this looks pretty interesting I really hope it's not another Low Winter Sun.

Madness

Hopefully it's not ruined by filler and commercials like Walking Dead is these days. Can you imagine how Game of Thrones, True Detective and other shows would be with commercials every 3-4 minutes.

Will watch though. Will be nice to see how they've captured the period and the tension right before the revolutionary war.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Same. I always give any period pieces a chance and while this looks pretty interesting I really hope it's not another Low Winter Sun.

I think everyone hopes it's not another Low Winter Sun. :p

Hopefully it's not ruined by filler and commercials like Walking Dead is these days. Can you imagine how Game of Thrones, True Detective and other shows would be with commercials every 3-4 minutes.

If you're bothered by commercials that much why don't you just skip them?

Btw, what is wrong with Hell on Wheels?

Nothing, really. It's varying degrees of decent and good, but it's also wholly unremarkable.

Leunam

Never been a fan of the period but I was definitely interested in watching this. Not the best first impressions in the OP, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Finally something on AMC that I might enjoy. Haven't had a reason to watch since Breaking Bad ended.

Sober

I'll take a look at this. Nikita's showrunner is on this? Slightly more interested now than before.

The impressions of the first episode don't sound too good. Hopefully it's just a weak start. I LOVE Mad Men, but that pilot episode is pretty damn dull. I'm hoping this is the same scenario. Please be a good show. Please.

Desi

I remember reading a book that details spying and espinoge during the Revolutionary war. was dope.

Saty

Turn is a fairly standard spy story. That doesn't mean it's bad, just not up there with what we've come to see as the gold standard for AMC: "Breaking Bad," "Mad Men" and "The Walking Dead."
Wat.

Laieon

I'm really looking forward to this, you don't get many things that are set in the Revolutionary War era.

Madness

If you're bothered by commercials that much why don't you just skip them?

You mind telling me how I can "skip" commercials as I'm watching live? If I change the channel, I not only run the risk of possibly missing out on when the show quickly comes back on, or start to focus on another show.

I guess I can record the shows and choose to watch at a later time, but I like to view things as they air. If I'm free and waiting to watch a show.

Enthus

Did the San Francisco Chronicle really call The Walking Dead AMC's Gold Standard?

I'll probably end up watching this Monday. Gotta watch GoT and Silicon Valley tomorrow.

sant

I gave up on Hell on Wheels at the beginning of season 3, could not see the show going anywhere. I don't know whether I should bother with this show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You mind telling me how I can "skip" commercials as I'm watching live?

Record on like a 15-20 minute delay. You can skip the commercials and it's almost like watching live!

I gave up on Hell on Wheels at the beginning of season 3, could not see the show going anywhere.

Season 3 was easily the best season yet and was the first season to make the show feel like it was actually going somewhere. The progress they made on the railroad was palpable.

I don't know whether I should bother with this show.

Well, there's a totally different team behind Turn, so the quality of Hell on Wheels doesn't effect Turn at all! Even if you didn't like HoW, you might end up liking this one!

sant

Well, there's a totally different team behind Turn, so the quality of Hell on Wheels doesn't effect Turn at all! Even if you didn't like HoW, you might end up liking this one!

I just don't trust AMC anymore when it comes to new shows. These are the guys that put Low Winter Sun and that arm wrestling show on the air...

faridmon

Isn't Rupert Wyatt working this as a Director? Why isn't that mentioned anywhere? Or is that a small role he is playing on the whole series?

as You can tell, I love Rupert Wyatt

Record on like a 15-20 minute delay. You can skip the commercials and it's almost like watching live!
This. Most hour long TV shows have an actual run time been 40 and 45 minutes. Even when I watch stuff live, I DVR it and then start watching the DVR'd version about 15 minutes after it starts. FF through the commercials and at the top of the hour I'm caught up.

Edit: great OP, Ratsky!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The 90 minute series premiere airs tonight!

Series Premiere

The story of America's first spy ring is told in this drama, which opens with Long Island farmer Abraham Woodhull being recruited to spy on the British during the Revolutionary War.

~

I just don't trust AMC anymore when it comes to new shows. These are the guys that put Low Winter Sun and that arm wrestling show on the air...

Low Winter Sun was a travesty, but the arm wrestling thing is a reality show and I don't count those alongside their scripted stuff.

Isn't Rupert Wyatt working this as a Director?

Yes. He directed the pilot.

Is this AMC's answer to The Americans?

No...?

great OP, Ratsky!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom