• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria - Details on battle system (Graces-like), characters, and screens

TaiKH92

Banned
Now I want to play Graces just to have an idea of how this game will play, why does people say Graces' story sucks?

Now I want to play Graces just to have an idea of how this game will play, why does people say Graces' story sucks?
It's the definition of generic, and the protagonist is as exciting as a calculus exam.

It's not horrendously awful, just very by the numbers and cliche. The majority of the cast is pretty cool though, and the skits are really funny.

Rhapsody

Banned

Some of the ideas it had weren't too bad on paper. The script and directing made it pretty bad though.
Like all/most Tales, you're better off just getting more out of skits when concerning dialogue.

demidar

It's the definition of generic, and the protagonist is as exciting as a calculus exam.

It's not horrendously awful, just very by the numbers and cliche. The majority of the cast is pretty cool though, and the skits are really funny.

I've said this before, but the reason why the story works or makes sense is because it forces the characters to be pants-on-head stupid. Without the story sabotaging the characters' intelligence, they range from tolerable to good.

Soriku

Graces should've been entirely focused on Lhant and territorial feuds instead of
Lambda/Richard.

Rpgmonkey

Thought someone else would bump the thread for this, but in case anyone didn't know there'll be a new trailer this weekend. It'll have a live stream.

Should just be our first taste of Alisha, Miculio, Edna, and maybe Lyla in battle, in addition to usual melodramatic story scenes and dialogue they throw into every Tales trailer.

Not strictly Zestiria related, but Bandai Namco Studios has a page where employees are interviewed. It's interesting as they include plenty credits, photos and info but not their names (easy to put together tho). Tales related: Go Shiina, Yuri Suzuki (interface design ToV, ToG, ToX), Hirokazu Kagawa (effects, battle programmer, essentially Udo's assistant, ToDR, ToG, ToX), Tatsuro Udo (first time I see photos of him, as geeky as expected ^^)

With the strong resemblance to Graces in terms of the visual style of the combat, arte names, and controls, I guess it's likely Kagawa and Udo are together again for this one?

Not strictly Zestiria related, but Bandai Namco Studios has a page where employees are interviewed. It's interesting as they include plenty credits, photos and info but not their names (easy to put together tho). Tales related: Go Shiina, Yuri Suzuki (interface design ToV, ToG, ToX), Hirokazu Kagawa (effects, battle programmer, essentially Udo's assistant, ToDR, ToG, ToX), Tatsuro Udo (first time I see photos of him, as geeky as expected ^^)

??? Udo looks fine. He does look driven and intellectual, though.

LuuKyK

Thought someone else would bump the thread for this, but in case anyone didn't know there'll be a new trailer this weekend. It'll have a live stream.

Should just be our first taste of Alisha, Miculio, Edna, and maybe Lyla in battle, in addition to usual melodramatic story scenes and dialogue they throw into every Tales trailer.

With the strong resemblance to Graces in terms of the visual style of the combat, arte names, and controls, I guess it's likely Kagawa and Udo are together again for this one?

Where? NicoNico?

Soriku

vJvyX

poOvu

BSr8l

These new shots look great.

Between Hearts R getting localized, Xillia 2 finally having a release date, and Zestiria getting a new trailer in a couple of days, it's been a pretty cool week.

God damn, they come out with more Tales games than Dynasty Warriors and Madden combined. I'm a fan of the Tales series but you'd think Activision or Ubisoft is publishing these games.

I can't keep up.

Heyt

Banned
As the lifespan of PS3 won't last much longer (sadly) I am inclined to think Zestiria's launch window in 2015 will be more closer to Symphonia HD than Xillia 2 this year. Symphonia HD is the only Tales besides Zestiria that was announced for ww release and got here pretty fast. I think release dates for both games are going to be very simmilar.

God damn, they come out with more Tales games than Dynasty Warriors and Madden combined. I'm a fan of the Tales series but you'd think Activision or Ubisoft is publishing these games.

I can't keep up.

Not really. Most of the games we're getting this year are old games released 2 years ago on Japan.

demidar

I can't keep up.

Someone has to fill in the Big JRPG Franchise slot in the west.

I can't keep up.
Not really with the mainline entries. Hearts (well, the original) and Xillia 2 have both been out in Japan for quite a while. It's more that Namco is just now getting around to localizing everything before Zestiria comes out.

ChrisG683

Argh, I know I'm one of the few people with this sentiment, but I didn't like Graces' combat system. It was ok, but it was way too button mashy for my liking.

On the other hand while the traditional Tales combat feels more satsifying, it definitely feels clunkier and more dated, and could use some shaking up.

They need to work on finding a happy medium, hopefully they do that with Zestiria.

FSLink

Banned
Argh, I know I'm one of the few people with this sentiment, but I didn't like Graces' combat system. It was ok, but it was way too button mashy for my liking.

o_O
Yeah I don't know what difficulty you were playing but it's definitely not button mashy on higher difficulties. At least much less so than other entries where it's attack x * + arte spam and occasional Overlimit.

I do think with the limited arte movepool that Graces ended up having similar combos near the end, and a few late artes were crazy good (Infernal Torrent/Inceneration Wave ahoy). Adding the artes ball to Graces' battle system and increasing the movepool would make it much better, as well as increasing the overall speed...maybe adding aerial stuff as well?

That's what easy mode does.

o_O
Yeah I don't know what difficulty you were playing but it's definitely not button mashy on higher difficulties. At least much less so than other entries where it's attack x * + arte spam and occasional Overlimit.

I do think with the limited arte movepool that Graces ended up having similar combos near the end, and a few late artes were crazy good (Infernal Torrent/Inceneration Wave ahoy). Adding the artes ball to Graces' battle system and increasing the movepool would make it much better, as well as increasing the overall speed...maybe adding aerial stuff as well?

dA9vc.gif

Soriku

o_O

Maybe have a higher CC pool? It was easy to deplete CC with moves like Infernal Torrent.

Proven

One other thing not talked about much is how Graces made a more interesting (for me) battle system for spellcasters. Just for Cheria, the fact that for every A-arte you used you lowered the cast time of any B-artes you did in the combo meant one could quickly cast healing artes while still helping combo chains, or cast Indignation in almost a third of the usual time. It was excellent.

Going into Overlimit in that game was wonderful...

DNAbro

Graces had a great battle system but too bad the story was so bad and cliche that I dropped the game 10 hours in.

Thorgal

One other thing not talked about much is how Graces made a more interesting (for me) battle system for spellcasters. Just for Cheria, the fact that for every A-arte you used you lowered the cast time of any B-artes you did in the combo meant one could quickly cast healing artes while still helping combo chains, or cast Indignation in almost a third of the usual time. It was excellent.

Going into Overlimit in that game was wonderful...

I would go even further and say Graces for the first time actually made me want to play as the mage types .

With Malik or Pascal . you did not have to get away from enemy 's when they got to close but could just as easily beat the living crap out of an enemy with melee .

Hell . even the the healer of the party could do some serious damage !

I would say , give me graces combat with each character being just as good to use and a vertical factor ( aerial combat ) and they can have all my money !

Top Bottom