• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria - Details on battle system (Graces-like), characters, and screens

demidar

New character looks good, for as little material there is. He got a nice hat.

Now when they say pendulum, does it have a stiff shaft :)3) or is it attached with a wire? I couldn't see the weapon.

Rpgmonkey

No CC huh, I approve. The basic description of SC doesn't make it sound any different but that's just the bare minimum of what a Tales game is gonna have now. Curious to see what other quirks it has.

The wording in the magazine implies that the Blast Gauge has more effects than healing and blowing away the enemy, by the way. It's probably something that varies with the character, or has effects you can set to it.

And for people curious about battle transitions, Baba recently said that it works like previous Tales games in that you touch an enemy and you transition into battle, but the transitions will be more natural than before. So it sounds like Zestiria won't be completely seamless like Final Fantasy XII or Xenoblade, but will be closer than the games before it.

kewlmyc

Another VA from Valvrave?

Haha, yep. Wonder what anime costumes we're getting :p

Also the voice of freaking Jotaro.

His character design is pretty cool. He looks like a thug-ish cowboy which really sets him apart from the rest of the cast. Look forward to seeing how he fights.

Pretty interesting how different he looks.

A pendulum is an interesting new weapon too. Unless it's just a fancy way calling a scythe or something.

Sagitario

Not a fan of design/artwork with hidden eyes, honestly. It's something that has always bugged me.

Pretty damn excited for the battle system, though! I kinda want to replay Graces, but my backlog wouldn't allow it.
I got Rebirth for both the PS2 and PSP, but could only get so far without understanding the battle system.

Not a fan of design/artwork with hidden eyes, honestly. It's something that has always bugged me.

Pretty damn excited for the battle system, though! I kinda want to replay Graces, but my backlog wouldn't allow it.
I got Rebirth for both the PS2 and PSP, but could only get so far without understanding the battle system.

But think of all the mystery of what his faaaaaaaaaaaaaaace looks liiiiiiiiiiiiiike!

Damn, Dezel looks so damn awesome! Uuuuugh! I cannot wait for this game! The battle system is going to kick ass! Thankfully there's Xillia 2 and hearts to tide me over! :D

R0ckman

Where the hell is the new character?

Edit: ah nevermind. Looks cool. Should be main character. Don't see how these two characters are in the same game.

R0ckman

Is this a worldwide release as in its releasing at the same time everywhere? If not, I'm just gonna import. Can't damn wait.

kewlmyc

Is this a worldwide release as in its releasing at the same time everywhere? If not, I'm just gonna import. Can't damn wait.

No, that hasn't been confirmed. They just said worldwide release so they don't have people begging them to release it in the west for an entire year.

JoRo

Does this game have open-field type of battles? I know the other Tales games are like an arena, but some of those screens look open-field. I guess it could just be a background, kinda hard to tell. Already got it pre-ordered anyway, lol.

Levyne

Banned
RE6 has some pretty good ideas at its core, which you really can only experience in Mercenaries.

I mean that a little more nuanced than the typical "the story is bad but the gameplay is good I promise!" . Because the way you play the game within the campaign is entirely different and, in my opinion, worse. Too many limiting set pieces and qtes and reliance on interacting with the secondary characters. Oddly enough, I felt like there weren't enough arenas to just park in and take on some enemy waves. Basically, I guess I wish it played more like Mercenaries :v

On topic, the new character looks fine I guess. I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Proven

RE6 has some pretty good ideas at its core, which you really can only experience in Mercenaries.

I mean that a little more nuanced than the typical "the story is bad but the gameplay is good I promise!" . Because the way you play the game within the campaign is entirely different and, in my opinion, worse. Too many limiting set pieces and qtes and reliance on interacting with the secondary characters. Oddly enough, I felt like there weren't enough arenas to just park in and take on some enemy waves. Basically, I guess I wish it played more like Mercenaries :v

On topic, the new character looks fine I guess. I don't have a strong opinion either way.

What this guy said. The combat is fun and it's true, a lot of the campaign doesn't work to the game's strengths. I'm also a little annoyed that some of the co-op aspects (like sharing ammo) was made worse, along with the overall inventory system. But bring a partner along and things are still pretty gravy.

Kinda like going from Abyss or Graces F to Xillia (systems-wise).

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between Zestiria and Sega's next Shining series installment? Even the focus upon dragons, character designs, and artstyle in general resemble each other at least to my peasant eyes.

l_53708e8058e72.jpg

i like the new guy**. on design alone it feels fine to me.
**This opinion is subject to change when a battle trailer featuring this guy is released **

Shengar

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between Zestiria and Sega's next Shining series installment? Even the focus upon dragons, character designs, and artstyle in general resemble each other at least to my peasant eyes.

Holy shit, they ruined a potentially good design by giving big cleavage on the armor just because they can, aren't they?

Soriku

i like the new guy**. on design alone it feels fine to me.
**This opinion is subject to change when a battle trailer featuring this guy is released **

If anything he'll look cooler when blasting off artes, like pretty much every other Tales character.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The character designs are really all over the place. It seems like they're going for a more ancient/mystical look with Mikulio and Leila while going for a modern look with the new character and the umbrella girl.

Proven

The character designs are really all over the place. It seems like they're going for a more ancient/mystical look with Mikulio and Leila while going for a modern look with the new character and the umbrella girl.

Who knows. Maybe there's a modern/futuristic area somewhere in this game too.

Top Bottom