• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria - Details on battle system (Graces-like), characters, and screens

BY2K

Membero Americo
0010rkku.jpg

They're not even hiding it, now. This is straight up Link in front of the Master Sword.

Also, dem colors. This looks so much better than Xillia, graphically.

Ahahaha a dual audio Tales? You mean like the last billion times people asked for a dual audio Tales? Well, there's always hope, but you're dreaming.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles has dual audio and IIRC Tales of Xillia 2 will as well.

raven777

They're not even hiding it, now. This is straight up Link in front of the Master Sword.

Also, dem colors. This looks so much better than Xillia, graphically.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles has dual audio and IIRC Tales of Xillia 2 will as well.

source?

Suzzopher

This is from the EU blog:
Xillia 2, like Xillia, will be English audio. But as you can tell with Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, we hear the demand for Japanese audio! And we hope to make it a standard in the future.

Does anyone know if the battles take you out of the regular world? I want to get into this series but the ugly environments and that make it hard. Also, how were load times in Xillia?

FSLink

Banned
Does anyone know if the battles take you out of the regular world? I want to get into this series but the ugly environments and that make it hard. Also, how were load times in Xillia?

No one knows yet but all other games did, could change this game... and they were minimal.

Soriku

We don't know yet. They might, but they seem to be trying to make the environment transition more seamless in this game either way. Unless you don't normally play many JRPGs, this shouldn't be a problem...

Environments are decent. They're not amazing, but they still look fine for the most part.

Xillia had some of the fastest load times in any RPG I've played.

demidar

Honestly I don't think there will be seamless transitions (like Xenoblade where battles and exploration are on the same map). At most, touching an enemy would lock an arena around you and you enter "combat mode".

Honestly I don't think there will be seamless transitions (like Xenoblade where battles and exploration are on the same map). At most, touching an enemy would lock an arena around you and you enter "combat mode".

I'll be happy with a traversable world map

Like Symphonia

So much improvement over Xillia graphically.

Still looks like a poor man's version of Xenoblade (a freaking Wii game), especially on the fields. Some screen of a mountain passage in another thread might be the ugliest screenshot I've seen in years.
I don't understand why they don't go back to superior cel shading but instead still keep the crappy Xillia (/Graces?) base.

Soriku

Since they announced the English release for Zestiria at the same time of it's JP announcement, I imagine they'll be working to have dual audio this time. It probably will IMO. We'll see about Hearts R too.

Still looks like a poor man's version of Xenoblade (a freaking Wii game), especially on the fields. Some screen of a mountain passage in another thread might be the ugliest screenshot I've seen in years.
I don't understand why they don't go back to superior cel shading but instead still keep the crappy Xillia (/Graces?) base.

Xenoblade had grass everywhere to make its fields less plain...which was a good idea really. Namco should add more foliage (not expecting it), but otherwise fields look OK to me. Those shots are terribly compressed though.

Graces F and Xillia both looked great at times, Xillia especially. The art style is far from crappy.

I'll be happy with a traversable world map

Like Symphonia

Not happening, but the fields look good this time around compared to Xillia's copy/paste relatively boring areas.

3Kaze

Tales devs can't get IQ right. My eyes are bleeding.

Jaggy mess (and 1278x723p?)
FrF5gOT.jpg

While Vesperia had an ugly blur filter
hs0eBUI.jpg

I think Graces (F) has the best IQ, which is sad.

Rpgmonkey

Dungeon design still doesn't look like it's improved much. The dungeons don't look like cramped black/brown tubes like far too many of Xillia and Xillia 2's were at least, but they still seem like the usual simple pathways of recent Tales games that you follow easily and quickly to get to exit/boss. Oh well.

I think the major landmarks on the fields look nice, I really like city in the background, but the surrounding environments seem a little plain...

Philippo

I'm starting to believe that the jump to next-gen will make just a slight change to graphics.
I guess it will be way more until we get some serious evolutions (like Ni no Kuni or the latest Guilty Gear which are almost on par with anime).
If only Tales teams would partner up with CyberConnect2...

Soriku

Maybe Vesperia was too expensive to develop or something?

They changed the art style so they could have a more realistic portrayal of the characters/world.

Granted that shouldn't be an issue when games like DQ VIII which are cel shaded and to-scale exist, but that's the reason they gave.

Ew. What is this? The textures are dull and muddy and the aliasing... ick. Tales looks so much nicer when they go for simpler-looking hand-drawn textures and vibrant colors instead of this (IMO) poor attempt at adding detail.

Thankfully, design wise, this field looks a lot better than any of Xillia's and far less linear than Graces' world map. Hopefully they finally hit that sweet spot between a structure and openness for their non-traditional world map.

Oh my god at that "sub genre" for this particular game.

Regardless, I'm super excited.

Ew. What is this? The textures are dull and muddy and the aliasing... ick. Tales looks so much nicer when they go for simpler-looking hand-drawn textures and vibrant colors instead of this (IMO) poor attempt at adding detail.

Thankfully, design wise, this field looks a lot better than any of Xillia's and far less linear than Graces' world map. Hopefully they finally hit that sweet spot between a structure and openness for their non-traditional world map.

I'm hoping it'll be improved somehow before release.

I think The Tales team should get into contact with Arcy System Works (for their next game maybe).

3D looks good and all, but I think games that base their aesthetics on stylistic designs generally benefit a lot from the kind of shading you would see in something like GGXrd for example.

Rpgmonkey

Another attempt at cel-shading after Zestiria would be nice. The inconsistency in style between games works in the series' favor imo. I could see if it was like Final Fantasy where you're literally switching from space travel to knights and kingdoms and everything inbetween from game to game, but since most Tales games frequently have very similar settings and character designs the style differences prevented them from blurring together.

Anyway, there was an interview with Baba and he brought up a few details:

Describing whether the world starts out in a chaotic state: said:
No it’s not in that kind of condition currently. In this game we created something called “corruption”. If I were to explain it in a simple way I would say it’s the negative emotions that come from living things, like hatred and envy towards other people. The hearts of humans and animals change, and lead them down a path they shouldn't have taken. Throughout the world’s history there are specific times where this occurrence becomes more common. It has accumulated up to the era in which Slay lives, and now the world is reaching a state where it is more easily taken over by the corruption. So it doesn't mean that the world starts out from the beginning as very chaotic.

His response to humans not being able to use Tenkyoujutsu (magic): said:
No [they can], but since there are various mechanisms to that, I’ll keep it a secret. I’ll just say for now that humans and tenzoku have different fighting styles in the game.

He makes a brief comment about attributes said:
Here’s one small thing I’ll let out. Edna is an Earth Tenzoku. Normally, earth attributed things are resistant to the water attribute, but for some reason Edna has an umbrella. Please try and keep an eye on that.

Other stuff said:
- He confirms that they’ll have more announcents at the Tales of Festival, including a (new?) trailer, and that there are even more differences between Tenzoku and Humans than what we know so far. Sounds more likely now that there'll be a big info blowout there.

- Probably obvious but he confirms that there’s a little more to Slay and the whole doushi thing than we currently know.

-He’s still not really confirming anyone’s ages but I think he confirmed that Lyla is the oldest character (so far anyway).

- There’s a theme to the colors of Miculio, Lyla, and Edna’s clothing (this is obvious I guess…).

- Lake Pirrow is at a point in the game where Slay and his friends first come to the lower world.

-Seems like videos and updates are going to start becoming more frequently soon.

- A number of dungeons are ruins from a bygone era where Tenzoku and Humans lived more closely together.

The comment about humans and magic kinda suggests there's going to be more human party members that'll be like Sophie and Hubert and be fighters with a few spells mixed in with their X button artes.

Xillia load times were fine, there weren't anything to note on the battle transition in term of speed that weren't in other games in the 3D Tales of realm , pretty similar.
Xillia 2 is a little bit faster

Here’s one small thing I’ll let out. Edna is an Earth Tenzoku. Normally, earth attributed things are resistant to the water attribute, but for some reason Edna has an umbrella. Please try and keep an eye on that.
Damn i can already smell a TWIST .looking forward to it , BABA

a745

New character: Dezel. Voiced by Ono Daisuke and designed by Daigo Okumura. He's the Tenzoku for the Wind element. He uses a Pendulum as a weapon.

He's searching for the one who took his friend from him in order to exact revenge. In order to do so, he has been secretly moving through the shadows of human society.

Battle system also confirms Around Step. Other features are Blast Gauge and Spirits Chain Gauge.

Shojx

New character: Dezel. Voiced by Ono Daisuke and designed by Daigo Okumura. He's the Tenzoku for the Wind element. He uses a Pendulum as a weapon.

He's searching for the one who took his friend from him in order to exact revenge. In order to do so, he has been secretly moving through the shadows of human society.

Battle system also confirms Around Step. Other features are Blast Gauge and Spirits Chain Gauge.

He kind of looks like he came straight out of Bleach. I want to see what he looks like when (or if) he's not hiding his face. Interesting character but honestly, the cast of Zestiria in general doesn't really appeal to me so far. The same could be said for the world it takes place in, though I'm sure there's much more to see...

Maybe time can sway that opinion. I can't remember not feeling hyped for a new Tales of game before.

Labadal

He kind of looks like he came straight out of Bleach. I want to see what he looks like when (or if) he's not hiding his face. Interesting character but honestly, the cast of Zestiria in general doesn't really appeal to me so far. The same could be said for the world it takes place in, though I'm sure there's much more to see...

I feel the same. Graces like system is keeping me interested.

Soriku

Battle system info from AC:

The "Fusionic-Chain Linear Motion Battle System." Features of the battle system include Around Step, which, like in Tales of Graces f's Around Step, allows you to quickly move around the enemy in an arc-like manner, allowing for quick movements and evasion from attacks. Another is a Blast Gauge which when used gives a recovery and a blasting away effect. The new Spirits Chain Gauge freely allows the characters to link together artes and attacks when being consumed.

Datschge

Hope those gauges are interlinked with potential negative effects as done in Rebirth. As currently described Spirits Chain Gauge sounds like CC and Blast Gauge like some new variation on Overlimit with added recovery, which is kind of boring...

Cornbread78

Looking good so far, but they should have put this out on PS4 and upgraded it in NA, it would have gotten a ton more hype being a "next gen" jRPG.

Top Bottom