• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

JDSN

Banned
believe7pk2h.png

That whole IGN Preview quote is ridiculous.

"You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should" But i have a decent pc ? "But your couch and the Xbox Live community will be the ecosystem it's best enjoyed in" How so? "crickets" M$

This must be quoted forever.

PnCIa

This clown is still around? He's on the same level as hip hop gamer. All the way at the bottom.
Still a couple of levels above IGN so yeah...i wonder why they are still around.
And holy shit DAT QUOTE. Last time i could get hyped up like the autor of this i must have been 15.

Majestad

Banned
Angry Joe. LMAO. I remember I was at PAX 2011 lining up for the AVGN panel, and this dude showed up and people booed at him. I didn't know he was still around.v

I'm starting to believe that the only significance the number behind the decimal point has for an IGN review is to show how well the publisher bribed IGN.

It seems like IGN will review a game as an 8 and then depending on how much they got in kickbacks from the publisher they will then assign a corresponding decimal point.

I thought it was common knowledge that each magazine/website had a key to their rating scale? By pandering over the 8.9, Stapleton is probably saying that Titanfall doesn't fit into their definition of a 9 game (probably due to the campaign) but is still top tier for the 9. Taking info from a preview and then tacking the review score on it seems a bit misleading. I mean, is there any media outlet who hasn't previewed a game, played a brilliant portion, and then played the final only to be disappointed? I know I did this plenty of times. Now, arguing with Angry Joe (who is, in my opinion, more of a joke than an actual reviewer) seems silly.

To the people who keep saying there is a conspiracy to "buy in" to a good rating, explain to me why some high budget games don't get good ratings?

Dead Man

I thought it was common knowledge that each magazine/website had a key to their rating scale? By pandering over the 8.9, Stapleton is probably saying that Titanfall doesn't fit into their definition of a 9 game (probably due to the campaign) but is still top tier for the 9. Taking info from a preview and then tacking the review score on it seems a bit misleading. I mean, is there any media outlet who hasn't previewed a game, played a brilliant portion, and then played the final only to be disappointed? I know I did this plenty of times. Now, arguing with Angry Joe (who is, in my opinion, more of a joke than an actual reviewer) seems silly.

To the people who keep saying there is a conspiracy to "buy in" to a good rating, explain to me why some high budget games don't get good ratings?

Even if they played a brilliant portion and then the rest of the game was less good, you should never assume that a game will be consistent if you have only played a portion of it. At the very least that preview is hopelessly naive. Hence, useless.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
8.9 is a good score.

9.0 is an amazing score.

He said it right there!
What's the point of a 10 point system if you're just gonna add that decimal shit. It's like "oh it's a really great 8!" As opposed to an average 8? Just do a 100 point score system then.

US GAMERS

FartOfWar

Banned
believe7pk2h.png

That's the environment I best enjoy video games as well. Why is that so funny or unbelievable to you?

That I prefer to play competitive shooters with a mouse, keyboard, and monitor is subjective, same as your insistence that your couch and controller are more comfortable, or more conducive to your performance as a player than my fine office chair. The writer here is not stating their personal preference, but instead asserting that, although you may have already invested in a powerful gaming PC (presumably because you, you know, are satisfied playing games on that platform), you should purchase an Xbox One in order to play Titanfall on it. He supplies no support whatsoever for this wisdom. He writes that in the way an infomercial depicts a task as ordinary as tying one's shoes as an exercise in frustrating physical comedy finally made avoidable by a modestly-priced miracle product. In other words, he writes that as a pitchman.

modsbox

It's pretty impressive that both guys were able to make people think considerably less of them. That's where I'm at following this. That preview was a joke, and Angry Joe's name-calling wasn't necessary. Both of them made themselves look like idiots.

As far as picking sides... though I see Dan's point, it almost seems as if people are forgetting that he started the whole thing with this passive aggressive BS line: "I can't wait to see which reviews you maliciously misquote when you cover it!"

I don't really care too much how it proceeds from that point, that was a ridiculous thing to do. Send him an email telling him you noticed and you'd prefer that he not do that in the future because it's disingenuous. Don't force him in to an argument with that line on Twitter; he clearly has to respond when you make that kind of accusation in a public forum.

kick51

Banned
and we're also talking about people lining up to hear AVGN speak at PAX

that's what makes "Angry" Joe kinda lame though. There's already a monolithic, super popular video game personality that uses the word in their name. (well, that and the goatee and the excessive amounts of hair gel.) also "Angry" in relation to AVGN fits, where "Angry" in relation to "Angry Joe" makes him seem like a not-too-bright, unreasonable gamer dude.

gogoud

I think Joe is a twat. The whole "bro tough guy" persona is stupid. I don't like "bro's"
I've seen couple of his reviews and he doesn't come off as a bro. A fanboy gamer sure. But not as a dude bro. He is annoying though but a lot of YouTube reviewers are annoying. It's the persona that sells. Js comes of as annoying too. It's just joes reviews are sooooo long that the shtick gets tiresome after 8 minutes and you got 12 more at least to go through.

Ign guys are the dude brahs. They carry themselves as if their opinion on any subject matter is gold.

jtenma

Banned
I am going to make an observation here and say that I am shocked that argument went on as long as it did.

I am also shocked that there are always "haters" for someone or something incredibly popular -- whether it be a video game like Call of Duty, or a gaming personality like Angry Joe.

There are always "those few" people who do the whole "hating" thing. I feel like I have been on the internet too long. The cycle continues...

...just an observation.

kick51

Banned
I am going to make an observation here and say that I am shocked that argument went on as long as it did.

I am also shocked that there are always "haters" for someone or something incredibly popular -- whether it be a video game like Call of Duty, or a gaming personality like Angry Joe.

There are always "those few" people who do the whole "hating" thing. I feel like I have been on the internet too long. The cycle continues...

...just an observation.

yes, sometimes people are critical of one side or even both sides of things. great observations.

fvng

That I prefer to play competitive shooters with a mouse, keyboard, and monitor is subjective, same as your insistence that your couch and controller are more comfortable, or more conducive to your performance as a player than my fine office chair. The writer here is not stating their personal preference, but instead asserting that, although you may have already invested in a powerful gaming PC (presumably because you, you know, are satisfied playing games on that platform), you should purchase an Xbox One in order to play Titanfall on it. He supplies no support whatsoever for this wisdom. He writes that in the way an infomercial depicts a task as ordinary as tying one's shoes as an exercise in frustrating physical comedy finally made avoidable by a modestly-priced miracle product. In other words, he writes that as a pitchman.

That's a very fair counterargument, I just wish you posted that instead of "is this comedy?" Not sure why GAFers sometimes prefer ambiguity to a clearly worded articulate post that you're clearly capable of doing. Your post could have easily been misconstrued as 'PC Master Race" quote, when what you really meant was much more nuanced.

PK Gaming

While I think that Angry Joe is an immature kid who is popular because he tends to pander to circlejerks and rarely has anything insightful to say (unlike Jim Sterling which panders but does have insightful things to say), it really takes a lot to one up his immaturity. Dan managed to do that in spades by quibbling over 8.9 which any reasonable person knows its irrelevant compared to a 9. Dan must really be in a complete bubble over there at IGN if he cant see how they over hyped Titanfall to the Nth degree. Honestly as review systems go a yes, no, maybe is good, a 5 point system like Giant Bomb is good, and 10 point system is not so great, but IGNs 100 point system is total bollocks. How can someone even comprehend what the difference between 8.9 and 9.0, its so esoteric that you might as well start pulling magic numbers out of your ass.

Also as for Yahtzee, his Zero Punctuation have never been called reviews, ever. The only people who call them reviews are people who cant wrap their head around that or seem to have a personal beef with he mocks a game. I like his videos for games I both love or dismiss and he often has good points about silly mechanics or game tropes

Excellent post, I couldn't agree more

Anura

While I think that Angry Joe is an immature kid who is popular because he tends to pander to circlejerks and rarely has anything insightful to say (unlike Jim Sterling which panders but does have insightful things to say), it really takes a lot to one up his immaturity. Dan managed to do that in spades by quibbling over 8.9 which any reasonable person knows its irrelevant compared to a 9. Dan must really be in a complete bubble over there at IGN if he cant see how they over hyped Titanfall to the Nth degree. Honestly as review systems go a yes, no, maybe is good, a 5 point system like Giant Bomb is good, and 10 point system is not so great, but IGNs 100 point system is total bollocks. How can someone even comprehend what the difference between 8.9 and 9.0, its so esoteric that you might as well start pulling magic numbers out of your ass.

Also as for Yahtzee, his Zero Punctuation have never been called reviews, ever. The only people who call them reviews are people who cant wrap their head around that or seem to have a personal beef with he mocks a game. I like his videos for games I both love or dismiss and he often has good points about silly mechanics or game tropes

His written review of MHtri is JUST as bad perhaps worse in some regard without the pretense of comedy. At least try to get things right and play the game a decent amount before doing either of those things. Sorry but he's still worse than joe

FartOfWar

Banned
That's a very fair counterargument, I just wish you posted that instead of "is this comedy?" Not sure why GAFers sometimes prefer ambiguity to a clearly worded articulate post that you're clearly capable of doing. Your post could have easily been misconstrued as 'PC Master Race" quote, when what you really meant was much more nuanced.
I honestly owe thoughtful responses to a ton of threads. I tend to toss out snappy retorts that assume an audience understands my intent when I'm on the toilet (which is where I am now).

SegaShack

Why does Joe feel like he can call out ign because their opinion of a game is higher then he thinks it should be?
Because it is the big evil game companies who hate consumer rights and only exist for money, Joe needs to have angry rants and twitter fights to counter act this. It is the only logical thing right? Gamers aren't entitled at all right?

(joking)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Angry joe a joke? 8.9 is the joke. 8.9 just means they want to please both sides want to give it high praise (pleasing metacritic) and yet still want to be edgy and not give it the full 9. Angry joe's review of the game was spot on and the score he gave it.
I've just watched a video of pewdiepie, I honestly had never heard of him before, I now wish it had stayed that way. I don't see what's so appealing, maybe I'm out of touch.

Ive only seen his outlast video and he is petty funny and out there. Sort of makes him cute.

fvng

I honestly owe thoughtful responses to a ton of threads. I tend to toss out snappy retorts that assume an audience understands my intent when I'm on the toilet (which is where I am now).

I understand. Still not really conducive to a constructive gaming discussion, I'm sure you'd agree.

I've just watched a video of pewdiepie, I honestly had never heard of him before, I now wish it had stayed that way. I don't see what's so appealing, maybe I'm out of touch.

It's sort of an open secret that utilized a pay service to give him subscribers, and I think that was enough to get the ball rolling and pick up more actual subscribers. This is why most gamers haven't heard of him despite the fact that he's the #1 Youtube channel, pulling in about $7-$20 million so far.

Matt

DragonSworne said:
I'm starting to believe that the only significance the number behind the decimal point has for an IGN review is to show how well the publisher bribed IGN.

It seems like IGN will review a game as an 8 and then depending on how much they got in kickbacks from the publisher they will then assign a corresponding decimal point.

That's not what happens.

Reading the first handful of pages I'm not sure how many people keep pinning immaturity only on Joe here. Dan definitely isn't being an adult or professional from the very beginning. Give crap, get crap.

pelican

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you are over 12.

I honestly can't see any rational adult enjoying pewdiepie's videos.

Top Bottom