• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Face-Off (PS3/PS4/PC)

Dezzy

I'm surprised they didn't mention or test the resolution option in the settings. Due to having a 720p TV, I usually play on the lower resolution and I'm assuming I get a better framerate out of it. Very surprised they missed it off.

This makes me wonder, does the PS4 downsample to 720p, or will it actually render 720p natively if you set it that way? That could squeeze out more performance for games with unlocked framerates.

dahuman

Neo Member
I feel like the OP only posted positive stuff which is weird, no reason to bold the PC parts if you don't also post the negative comparisons, so here we go:

"Looking closely through the shots in our Final Fantasy 14 triple-format comparison gallery, the only real difference between the PS4 and PC is the visibly lower level of anisotropic filtering on Sony's console. The PC version operates with 16x AF in our shots, while reduced effect on PS4 leads to texture details becoming blurred when viewed from sharp angles, although otherwise the artwork remains relatively crisp and clear."

"This is the kind of thing we'd like the PS4 to match, offering both greater consistency and a smoother experience where game play is concerned, but unfortunately it isn't the case. A Realm Reborn does hit 60fps in some circumstances, but the truth is it's inconsistent. For the most part the game averages 30-45fps across an extended gameplay session, very occasionally dropping into the twenties during large battles featuring many players."

"The PlayStation 4 version of Final Fantasy 14 is an impressive port that comes close to delivering a PC-quality experience on a console. The PC version is still the best option overall"

Kinda amazing how making some stuff bold and selective quoting can go. I'm not knocking on the PS4 of course, I just don't like these "look on the bright side and lets be happy" quotes because we all need to cover the negatives as well.

MogCakes

Most of the content is recycled from 1.0, actually. I was an original XIV player and a lot of the stuff they've 'added' - Good King Moggle Mog, for example - is just recycled content rebranded as new.

So no, they haven't added that much. And still have a ways to go. I'm also not a fan of this "give a game years and it will have plenty of content." Well, yes, reason would dictate that is the case with MMORPGs. But they should start out of the gate with much more than they do, not fly by the logic that 'we'll make the real game over time'. All themepark MMORPGs are guilty of this, really. That's why we need more with user-generated or randomly-generated variables. Takes a great deal of strain off the devs too. If someone figures out a proper way to do that sort of content one day, that is. EQN might be that game, but we'll have to wait and see.

Until then, XIV is a blast, but if you're even a moderate player (1-3 hours/ per night) you could get bored fast. The instance grind and endgame really is a special kind of tedious too.

In XIV's case they had to overhaul the game in 2 years, adding lots of end-game content probably wasn't on their priority at the time.

the touch pad really doesn't work well as a mouse pointer though.

I would suggest one of these if you need mouse functionality.. I believe the ps4 can use it.. pretty sure the ps3 can.

B005DKZTMG_K400_FOB_US_lg.jpg

microsoft's AIO keyboard

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/all-in-one-media-keyboard

mk_amk_otherviews02.jpg

not BT though.

MogCakes

Kinda amazing how making some stuff bold and selective quoting can go. I'm not knocking on the PS4 of course, I just don't like these "look on the bright side and lets be happy" quotes because we all need to cover the negatives as well.
I really didn't get that feeling at all. It's etiquette to read the linked article in full so it's assumed everyone posting has read it. What's quoted in the OP was really just the introduction + a few tidbits from the article, I don't think that's a good base off which to accuse the OP of positive bias.

Mokujin

Taking fates as a sort of indicator of fps performance in the game its just not right, most of the time you are going to be fighting with a lot less character/enemy stress on screen. And even PCs are going to take a hit on those for the same reasons if they are not really overpowered over your standard quality settings.

ciddative

A Realm Reborn on PS4 was also supposed to be targeting a consistent 60fps frame-rate, but the final version of Realm Reborn actually comes with an unlocked frame-rate (capped at 60Hz) and the goal of keeping things north of 30fps. It's a similar set-up to Square Enix stable-mate Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, and suggests the game is more demanding to run than its origins on ageing hardware might imply.

Great journalism here by EG, a simple google search reveals the reason for the earlier stated goal of 60fps and the current unlocked framerate:

As an interesting side note, Yoshida-san also mentioned that the PS4 version managed to output more than 60 FPS during development, but that caused the console’s heat to raise considerably. According to him, due to the small casing of the PS4 developers have to consider heat carefully, and that’s why the version of the game for Sony’s new console was given an upper limit of 60 FPS.

"As expected, the thermal runaway of the PS4 chassis can be scary, so we decided to cap the frame rate to 60 FPS."

Article quoted: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/20/ps4-port-of-final-fantasy-xiv-has-unlocked-framerate-up-to-60-fps-at-1080p-limited-due-to-heat-issues/

Original interview (Japanese): http://www.4gamer.net/games/220/G022016/20140219044/

Wonko_C

Great journalism here by EG, a simple google search reveals the reason for the earlier stated goal of 60fps and the current unlocked framerate:

Article quoted: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/20/ps4-port-of-final-fantasy-xiv-has-unlocked-framerate-up-to-60-fps-at-1080p-limited-due-to-heat-issues/

Original interview (Japanese): http://www.4gamer.net/games/220/G022016/20140219044/

Nothing Yoshida said contradicts the paragraph you quoted, though, it reinforces it infact.

Dunan

Not really played much of MMO or FF. I am just working my way through FF7 on the Vita.

Is there a steep learning curve?

Yes, there absolutely is -- but you'll be able to surmount it. It sounds like you're coming to this game from the same angle I was: RPG veteran who knows nothing of MMOs.

I struggled mightily at first, not just with the MMO-speak but with how this game ignores all kinds of established RPG conventions without really explaining this to you. For example, magic elements mean nothing -- you can shoot a fire spell at Ifrit and it will damage him -- Lightning works like poison, and Ice has the additional function of restoring your MP. No idea if other MMOs do that kind of thing, but no previous FF game has. You'll find yourself rotating the same actions on all enemies rather than mixing things up based on enemy weaknesses.

Classic RPG "jobs" also don't mean much compared to the real roles of "Tank" (which sounds like a heavy damage dealer, but in fact serves more as a shield for the other members), "DPS" ("damage per second", which is a statistic but also a name for a person who deals such damage), and "Healer" (OK, this job is exactly what it says it is). You won't be crossing over much into the other two roles in any given battle or dungeon.

In previous RPGs with enemies out in the field, either they'd see your party and attack you, or they wouldn't. In this game, the concept of individual enemy enmity is now a thing. I played a marauder in the beta thinking it would be a simple physical-damage musclehead warrior type, but it quickly got complicated when the game introduced a fight where the real goal was to take one enemy's enmity away from an ally and towards yourself. Not being able to even conceive of this idea, I lost the fight more than a dozen times as I tried raising my level, changing armor, changing weapons, fighting from a certain position... nothing worked until I learned that entirely new concept.

You also need to press Circle/X/etc. twice to talk to an NPC. Once to "target" them, and once to hear what they have to say. I found this perversely frustrating, particularly because the English translation is so good that I wanted to talk to absolutely everyone.

And the biggest change of all: you absolutely cannot pause, even when not in a party. Think this is no big deal? At first it was game-breaking for me because when I'm losing a fight or an otherwise struggling with the controls (a frequent occurrence in a game this complex), sometimes I need to stop and take a breath. Can't do that here. Master the positions of everything on your hotbars because the enemy attacks will not slow down while you hunt through them. I don't think I've ever used an inventory item in battle for just this reason.

This kind of thing really adds up and can be frustrating for the newbie. I don't think I would have stuck with the game if not for the helpfulness of GAF.

From an MMO veteran's perspective, the large amount of soloing early on probably serves to ease noobs into it. From the noob's perspective, I still think that a lot of concepts weren't explained well enough.

I actually recommend starting out with one of the crafter jobs, which you know going in is going to be nothing like typical RPG combat, and wandering the world and mining metals and weaving clothing.

It's a fun game and I recommend it to anyone -- just put aside everything you know about RPGs and previous FF/S-E games, because this game is its own beast. Allow lots of time to learn the ropes; it's worth it. But it never really stops being frustrating at times.

I am pleasantly surprised by how close it resembles a maxed out PC version. The frame rate drops are there for sure, but since this is my first time playing the game, and i never played the PC version, it is no issue for me so far. The best part is the integration of the gamepad of PS4, love the controls.

I'm thinking about doing this - but - do you have to switch in and out of /MKB/Controller to use the KB if you're just using it for chat?

If you check out my response about kbm on the last page man :) no you don't at all, you can use both control schemes simultaneously, which is a really comfortable way to play if like me you play your ps4 on your monitor, or it's at v. least a better way of chatting if you're playing on tv

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes, there absolutely is -- but you'll be able to surmount it. It sounds like you're coming to this game from the same angle I was: RPG veteran who knows nothing of MMOs.

I struggled mightily at first, not just with the MMO-speak but with how this game ignores all kinds of established RPG conventions without really explaining this to you. For example, magic elements mean nothing -- you can shoot a fire spell at Ifrit and it will damage him -- Lightning works like poison, and Ice has the additional function of restoring your MP. No idea if other MMOs do that kind of thing, but no previous FF game has. You'll find yourself rotating the same actions on all enemies rather than mixing things up based on enemy weaknesses.

Classic RPG "jobs" also don't mean much compared to the real roles of "Tank" (which sounds like a heavy damage dealer, but in fact serves more as a shield for the other members), "DPS" ("damage per second", which is a statistic but also a name for a person who deals such damage), and "Healer" (OK, this job is exactly what it says it is). You won't be crossing over much into the other two roles in any given battle or dungeon.

In previous RPGs with enemies out in the field, either they'd see your party and attack you, or they wouldn't. In this game, the concept of individual enemy enmity is now a thing. I played a marauder in the beta thinking it would be a simple physical-damage musclehead warrior type, but it quickly got complicated when the game introduced a fight where the real goal was to take one enemy's enmity away from an ally and towards yourself. Not being able to even conceive of this idea, I lost the fight more than a dozen times as I tried raising my level, changing armor, changing weapons, fighting from a certain position... nothing worked until I learned that entirely new concept.

You also need to press Circle/X/etc. twice to talk to an NPC. Once to "target" them, and once to hear what they have to say. I found this perversely frustrating, particularly because the English translation is so good that I wanted to talk to absolutely everyone.

And the biggest change of all: you absolutely cannot pause, even when not in a party. Think this is no big deal? At first it was game-breaking for me because when I'm losing a fight or an otherwise struggling with the controls (a frequent occurrence in a game this complex), sometimes I need to stop and take a breath. Can't do that here. Master the positions of everything on your hotbars because the enemy attacks will not slow down while you hunt through them. I don't think I've ever used an inventory item in battle for just this reason.

This kind of thing really adds up and can be frustrating for the newbie. I don't think I would have stuck with the game if not for the helpfulness of GAF.

From an MMO veteran's perspective, the large amount of soloing early on probably serves to ease noobs into it. From the noob's perspective, I still think that a lot of concepts weren't explained well enough.

I actually recommend starting out with one of the crafter jobs, which you know going in is going to be nothing like typical RPG combat, and wandering the world and mining metals and weaving clothing.

It's a fun game and I recommend it to anyone -- just put aside everything you know about RPGs and previous FF/S-E games, because this game is its own beast. Allow lots of time to learn the ropes; it's worth it. But it never really stops being frustrating at times.

Thank you for this post. I've never played an MMO before, other than dabbling in EVE, SK this experience will be new for me. I love FF so that's why I'm drawn here.

Eusis

What? Is this a joke? I thought Ghosts on PS4 has issues because it sometimes goes above 60.

Ghosts is rendering more than 60 but can't output them. It manifests as judder on screen.
Yeah, exactly. If it could output more than 60 FPS AND the TV could receive it... well, go look at the 120 FPS base to see how that'd go, people would get used to even higher frames and start to be spoiled by it.

Though it might be by so little as to be irrelevant, and because it's not an exact multiple of the display's hz it might not be that pleasant to look at without stuff like G-Sync in place (which you can't add to consoles anyway) but there is the fact that you WILL get a benefit so long as it can be displayed properly, otherwise it's irrelevant or worse.

ciddative

Nothing Yoshida said contradicts the paragraph you quoted, though, it reinforces it infact.

I never stated there to be a contradiction, just hoped that DF would have bothered to dig a little deeper to find the root cause of the discrepancy.

The article suggests the PS4 doesn't have power to keep 60 fps with the graphics settings dialled up from the PS3 version.

Yoshida clarifies the the PS4 is capable of doing this, but the heating issues relating to the case design were higher than he would have liked, so they went with a more conservative approach.

That isn't to say that the game couldn't perform better with less rigid constraint on temps, or that (fingers crossed) with more time and optimization the game performance can't be improved down the line.

The framerate video clearly show it dropping all over the place, in small fights and even out of combat with not much going on.

That's pretty odd then I noticed very minor drops during battles. The large FATE battles with 40 players and dozens of enemies sure but when it was just me running around fighting it was really smooth.

TheD

The Detective
I never stated there to be a contradiction, just hoped that DF would have bothered to dig a little deeper to find the root cause of the discrepancy.

The article suggests the PS4 doesn't have power to keep 60 fps with the graphics settings dialled up from the PS3 version.

Yoshida clarifies the the PS4 is capable of doing this, but the heating issues relating to the case design were higher than he would have liked, so they went with a more conservative approach.

That isn't to say that the game couldn't perform better with less rigid constraint on temps, or that (fingers crossed) with more time and optimization the game performance can't be improved down the line.

That Yoshida quote only states that they limited the framerate to a max of 60 FPS, not that the game is capable of running at 60 FPS all the time.

MogCakes

That Yoshida quote only states that they limited the framerate to a max of 60 FPS, not that the game is capable of running at 60 FPS all the time.
He said it could run at above 60FPS at some points during gameplay, but the PS4's heat levels got higher than he was comfortable with when that happened. It wasn't just that he limited the framerate cap to 60.

NBtoaster

He said it could run at above 60FPS at some points during gameplay, but the PS4's heat levels got higher than he was comfortable with when that happened. It wasn't just that he limited the framerate cap to 60.

That was earlier in development. The way the game currently is, it cannot maintain a solid 60 because the console is not powerful enough.

TheD

The Detective

No, limiting it to 60 FPS max is exactly what they did.

Trying to read that statement as the game ran much better all round (not just that the framerate could go over 60 FPS in some areas) but they had to limit it due to the PS4 melting (which is not even close to a good thing BTW) is not supported by what is in the statement.

Wonko_C

To add to what TheD posted a couple posts below yours, Yoshida's statement seems a bit strange to me now, as having the framerate uncapped from 60fps wouldn't be of use because most TVs can't display more than 60fps and can only result in tearing and stuttering. And even if they left it uncapped, the PS4 wouldn't be able to keep above 60fps all the time, there would've still drops in heavy areas. Even the most powerful PCs are brought to their knees in places like Mor Dhona.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are you kidding me; this is not running at a solid 60 fps in 1080p on PS4? Poor port job.

Edit: CPU bound as graphics are nothing to write home about?

MogCakes

No, limiting it to 60 FPS max is exactly what they did.

Trying to read that statement as the game ran much better all round (not just that the framerate could go over 60 FPS in some areas) but they had to limit it due to the PS4 melting (which is not even close to a good thing BTW) is not supported by what is in the statement.

Yeah, and I never said that it did run better all around or all the time. Nowhere did I say it was a consistent 60 or 60+ throughout gameplay. I simply clarified the reason for said cap as stated by Yoshida. I'm not and have not said that the game runs at constant 60 on the PS4, but if you want to drive that narrative then go for it. You may also want to drop your assumption that I'm trying to make the PS4 look better.

That was earlier in development. The way the game currently is, it cannot maintain a solid 60 because the console is not powerful enough.

It probably wasn't powerful enough to maintain a solid 60 with the game at any point. It could reach above 60 at certain points if Yoshida is to be believed, but he decided to cap it. Note that doesn't mean it maintains a consistent 60, just that with an uncapped FPS it reached above 60 in some places, likely out of combat in open areas. That's Yoshida's word anyway.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
They went back to look at the HD Quality option and found that there's no difference in frame rate between Full HD & HD Quality cause the game is rendered internally at 1080p no matter what option you select. The HD Quality setting is there to override the hardware scaler and the sharpening filter that's applied when the hardware scaler is enabled.

Pixel counting reveals that the 'HD Quality' setting gives us an artificially edge-enhanced 720p presentation which is actually derived from a native 1080p image. Essentially, the game renders internally at 1080p before the framebuffer is downscaled to 720p, a sharpening filter is applied and it's all rescaled back to 1080p before being displayed. Anti-aliasing, art assets and all the effects work remain unchanged from the default 'Full HD Quality' mode, although image quality takes a hit due to the framebuffer being rescaled twice: long edges appear visibly more uneven, while the finest details appear smoothed over in comparison to normal 1080p.

Initially it's hard to decipher why it's there at all, because as you'll see further down the page there's no obvious boost to frame-rate, but we think we've figured it out. By forcing the PS4 to display in 720p, the edge filter goes away, giving us a cleaner, naturally sharper image by letting the HDTV handle the final upscale from 720p to 1080p. Presumably, then, this 'HD Quality' option is for people with 1366x768 TVs and others restricted to 720p.

As for the edge filter, it is remarkably similar to the effect Microsoft's 'enhanced' scaling on Xbox One introduces in other games, leading us to suspect it's a built-in feature of the similar AMD GPUs that both next-gen consoles use rather than something cooked up by Sony, Microsoft or Square Enix. That would also support the suggestion that the 'HD Quality' mode is for people with 720p TVs, because the edge filter seen when the 'HD Quality' image is upscaled to 1080p also comes into effect on games being downscaled by the hardware, such as Assassin's Creed 4 running on a 720p TV. With the 'HD Quality' option enabled in Final Fantasy 14, people with 720p TVs ensure the game is handling that downscale rather than the hardware.

In theory, having the game render natively in 720p should translate into higher frame-rates in most instances, but because the 'HD Quality' mode is about elegantly handling a downscale for Final Fantasy 14 with 720p TVs, it always operates at 1080p internally and so you don't see any frame-rate improvements after all. As you can see in the video below, frame-rates appear near-identical in like-for-like scenes. What might have been a nice way of trading image quality for smoothness turns out to be much less exciting, then, albeit useful for a subset of players. Anyone playing at 1080p, though, will certainly want to stick with 'Full HD Quality'.

Video and pics in the article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-mystery-of-final-fantasy-14s-hd-quality-mode

Top Bottom