• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim fucked up, right? (The Office)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cody Horn's character was secretly the hottest girl in the cast, but then she got written out with no explanation and her arc was replaced by that Cathy girl instead.

tumblr_m143yeRM4S1qa9g7co1_400.jpg

tumblr_lzyst1Lc8h1r14qtqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lzyst1Lc8h1r14qtqo2_500.jpg

Have we forgotten about Cathy so quickly? She pretty much just wanted to bang Jim, yet he had to settle for homely, boring Pam.

yuck

Why are we breaking it up into "winners" and "losers"? Genuinely baffled by this, Jim just followed his heart. It's not about who is better looking, who is more driven, etc.

And while we're on the subject, I find the later seasons very watchable. Obviously seasons 3-5 are the absolute pinnacle, but it's still great after that.

I love James Spader's performance in particular. The arc with the boom guy and breaking the fourth wall was utterly terrible, but apart from that, it really isn't as bad as some people say.

Interestingly, I never, ever watch the final episode. I've seen it once and that was enough. Just too sad. I always stop at the penultimate one and then just start over from the beginning in a month or two when I'm ready for another run through.

how could you forget season 2! that was the best one!

Jim also crossed a line with the surprise snowball attack. Every time I watch it, I always feel it's excessive and mean.

Guy isn't perfect in the slightest.

That was cold, for sure.

;) I'm not ashamed of that lame pun.

Dwight was the one who was excessive, though, wasn't he? He made Jim bleed and become fearful of any noise, snow, etc.

Re watching the office episodes made me realize this. I used to think that he did good with his choice, but Pam is such a boring person. Karen seems to be superior to her in every way. She would probably break up with Jim eventually though. She can do better than Jim and Jim probably knew it.

I was in love with Pam during that whole arc before they eventually got together. I guess that's the main reason I watched since I kinda stopped shortly after that.

Did people forget that arc with Charles overseeing the Scranton branch where Jim's stupid sneaky charm got him in deeper shit, blowing up in his face? This happened on more than one occasion too, having to face Karen after the breakup, Jim taking the snowball thing too far. They don't always let Jim get away without consequence for being a dick.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Did people forget that arc with Charles overseeing the Scranton branch where Jim's stupid sneaky charm got him in deeper shit, blowing up in his face? This happened on more than one occasion too, having to face Karen after the breakup, Jim taking the snowball thing too far. They don't always let Jim get away without consequence for being a dick.
Jim was an idiot there though. When Charles asked why he was wearing a suit he could have easily explained it. "Going to a meeting" or "going to a fundraiser" or something more logical.

And he only had to face Karen again because Dwight and Michael tricked him into going. She wouldn't have seen him if it weren't for the idiot camera man giving them away. Though I assume after she caught Michael and Dwight they'd probably have said Jim was there too. Still, stupid camera man. Keep your head down, dummy. Speaking of which, why wouldn't the camera man want to go with Dwight and Michael instead? I guess to not arouse suspicion from the other workers, but why even have one with you at all if he's just going to sit in the car where nothing fun is happening.

Both actresses/characters/performances are charming to me so I would have had a hard time choosing. I don't think there was a wrong choice in this case.

FSLink

Banned
You don't have to take it personally. It was funny to me that he was talking about the camera man and the characters in general like this all really happened. You don't often see fictional characters talked about that way!

He was quoting Michael. :p

I liked pam and Jim then couldn't stand them by the time i stopped watching in season 6

It just shows that Gervais and Merchant had the right idea, they finished just as tim and dawn got together. Leave the audience wanting more - not bored.

Manarola

Banned
tumblr_m143yeRM4S1qa9g7co1_400.jpg

tumblr_lzyst1Lc8h1r14qtqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lzyst1Lc8h1r14qtqo2_500.jpg

Have we forgotten about Cathy so quickly? She pretty much just wanted to bang Jim, yet he had to settle for homely, boring Pam.

She was cute but she came into the show at the point that people had stopped caring. I didn't even remember her until you posted her pics.

The show ended when Steve Carrel left.

It didn't though, and there were some pretty good episodes afterward. Any scene with James Spader speaking was fun to watch and added a new dynamic to the office. The show didn't dramatically drop in quality when he left.

I think a stronger argument could be made that there was a difference in quality marked by the moment that Carrel drove into the water.

Raonak

Banned
I disagree, karen was hotter, but pam sorta mixed with jim's personality a bit better.

Havent seen the last 2 seasons tho.

strobogo

Banned
It didn't though, and there were some pretty good episodes afterward. Any scene with James Spader speaking was fun to watch and added a new dynamic to the office. The show didn't dramatically drop in quality when he left.

I think a stronger argument could be made that there was a difference in quality marked by the moment that Carrel drove into the water.

Actually, it did drop in quality right away. Everyone became more annoying and more Flanderized, which was something that had been ramping up before Michael Scott left. Once he left, the show went over the hump on both qualities and everyone became an unlikeable asshole and the show suffered in mediocrity. Everything post-Michael is like the epilogue to a story that you didn't really want.

Actually, it did drop in quality right away. Everyone became more annoying and more Flanderized, which was something that had been ramping up before Michael Scott left. Once he left, the show went over the hump on both qualities and everyone became an unlikeable asshole and the show suffered in mediocrity. Everything post-Michael is like the epilogue to a story that you didn't really want.

I'm convinced the series ended with dinner party in season 4. At this point, everything was wrapped up and there was no need to continue.

s4-finaleb9zyw.gif

But they did continue. The show suddenly wasn't about people working in an office, it was about "people". Beyond Dwight killing Andy:

s8-dwightkillsandyk5zxv.gif

You just had a lot of nonsensical storylines which had nothing to do with people going to work.

Some highlights:

* Angela trying to kill Oscar (literally), on camera.
* Ryan abandoning a baby at a wedding only for Nellie to kidnap it, on camera.
* Roseanne and Colbert joining the show for that celebrity boost.
* The Farm.
* Andy getting with Erin, then not being with Erin and then trying to get back with Erin but not really wanting to be with her so he stops trying even though he loves her but also forgets about it for a season.
* Pam and the rest being amazed that the film crew could hear them talking...for the past 10 years or so. Because nobody had ever noticed them or taken an interest in how the whole thing was being filmed.
* Angela gets divorced from a rich senator, but apparently gets no money out of it, even though she has a child and has to go straight into poverty. All this despite being a successful accountant for many, many years.

Yes there were bright spots, but by and large it was small specs swimming in a pool of mediocrity.

What does that all have to do with the topic? Well none of the above counts for me, so the damage to Pam's (and Jim's) character doesn't count either. There was only one correct choice and Jim made it...

s4-awwqijv4.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yep, the Office ended for me at Dinner Party. The ideal real end would have been season 3, but season 4 up to and including Dinner Party was great. After that, blech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom