• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
Someone needs to fact check that "fact checker".

I thought Ivanka knocked it out of the ballpark and The Don hit a solid stand-up double. Between Ivanka and The Don, they gave red meat to the base and made some strong appeals to women, Independents, the LGBTQ community, misguided Bernie supporters and blue collar Reagan Democrats. Good move to expand the party and go for the win in November.

I even choked up little bit when Trump mentioned the names of the parents from the Remembrance Project.

Glad there were more reporters than protesters.

So your rebuttal to fact checking is that you were personally moved by a bunch of bullshit, so it must not be bullshit?

Like, are you for real? Do facts not matter to you? Do you need to be run by the definitions of Truthiness and now Trumpiness?

Looks like he might not even hit the viewership numbers for Mittens if the other 3 nights are predictive of last night.

Also, if you want to know what team Hillary thinks about this, the VP announcement has yet to happen, and I think they will wait until Saturday to let this shitshow of a speech eat up another news cycle.

Early numbers suggest 30-35 million which would match or slightly best 2012 but lower than 2008.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I think it's actually disgusting the way they dropped the LGBTQ references and paraded out minorities (that you've never even heard of), to pretend that they are a party of diversity and inclusiveness when nothing in their history has EVER demonstrated that they are.

Whoever wrote this does not speak Spanish very well because it reads kind of broken, the correct phrase would be "Latinos por Trump" or "Latinos con Trump"

"Latinos para Trump" sounds like we are being offered or something. It's weird.

A lot of folks struggle with proper use of por vs. para. Unfortunately, Mr. Trump was too focused on outlining how he would solve problems quick and fast to get to that. He was excellent last night and did well on Politifact's fact checking of the speech.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking back, I think they missed music from David Bowie to ruin even more classics.

They could've put Heroes in there somewhere!
Thank goodness they didn't.-

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Whoever wrote this does not speak Spanish very well because it reads kind of broken, the correct phrase would be "Latinos por Trump" or "Latinos con Trump"

"Latinos para Trump" sounds like we are being offered or something. It's weird.

You are being offered as a sacrifice to his Holy Orangeness.

Ekai

A lot of folks struggle with proper use of por vs. para. Unfortunately, Mr. Drumpf was too focused on outlining how he would solve problems quick and fast to get to that. He was excellent last night and did well on Politifact's fact checking of the speech.

I can't tell if this is a parody post or not.
He didn't really outline any specifics.
And fact-checking decimated him.

Blader

I think the reasoning is incorrect here. The life expectancy if you were born in 1950 was about 66 years for a male. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

Life expectancy means that in 1950, a baby would be expected to live 66 years. It does NOT mean that someone who was 30 in 1980 would be expected to live another 36 years. The people who died before 30 have already died, and are no longer affecting the average.

So for instance, a man who is 65 today can expect to live till 84. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

This is despite them being born around 1950, and the life expectancy today is only 75.

Edit: Also important is the old, "a statistician is someone who drowns in a river that's an average of one foot deep," joke. Just because we are past the average age those people died at would not mean that they are all dead.

The age side of the argument is, to me, weaker than the partisan divide one. I find the idea that many Reagan Democrats (like my dad, who was born in the 50s) have simply become Republicans by now (also like my dad) more compelling.

No need to apologize. Every little helps and congrats on being willing to donate towards something you believe in. :)

Same to you. You may not be able to donate much, but at least you care enough to donate. Congrats on donating $10 towards #MakingAmericaGreatAgain.

I have to say that a polite fascist is alot scarier than the angry ones.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't tell if this is a parody post or not.
He didn't really outline any specifics.
And fact-checking decimated him.

If not parody and IF he's a Trump supporter... just add another American bigot to the list and move on I suppose. Any Trump supporter is by definition a bigot, racist or offensive xenophobe, or they are so disgustingly ignorant of any current events that they just heard the name Trump and are voting on that alone. It's hard to tell these days who is playing Devil's Advocate and who is legitimately supporting Trump, since half the time a Trump supporter must say such insane shit to be believable that it can easily pass as parody as well. So maybe he's just Diablosing too and trying to act like the speech wasn't a disaster lol

Ekai

Mr Drumpf

I have an extension that automatically turns Trump into Drumpf so I don't know when people type it out or if it changes to it. I shall assume parody then.

I think it's actually disgusting the way they dropped the LGBTQ references and paraded out minorities (that you've never even heard of), to pretend that they are a party of diversity and inclusiveness when nothing in their history has EVER demonstrated that they are.

What's even more disgusting is the Republican party is more anti-LGBT than ever before.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What's even more disgusting is the Republican party is more anti-LGBT than ever before.

I honestly thought they would simply move the goalposts to just trans rights or something, but they really just want to bring the LGBT situation back to the 60's.

geomon

Speaking of fact checking:

The AP fact-checked Donald Trump's speech – and there were some whoppers

Despite promising "the truth, and nothing else" in his convention speech, Donald Trump presented the nation with a series of previously debunked claims and some new ones Thursday night — about the U.S. tax burden, the perils facing police, Hillary Clinton's record and more.

A look at some of the Republican presidential candidate's claims and how they compare with the facts:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The truth is, activists on both sides are playing a game, that this is awful, this is terrible, you need to act NOW, pay attention to us NOW, it's all going to hell NOW.

Some variation of this gets posted every day at this forum. So we have that in common with Trump.

jet1911

Qsfcryz.gif

I now have at least one thing in common with Donald Trump..... we both want to bang his daughter.

Made me think of this WKUK video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNRhtip6S4

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I honestly thought they would simply move the goalposts to just trans rights or something, but they really just want to bring the LGBT situation back to the 60's.

I think a lot of people see the GOP obsession with sexuality and gender identity as a weird sideshow that, while distasteful and stupid, is just a distraction. I tend to see it the other way around - their fixation on LGBT persons is indicative of a deeper agenda to regress society in general, not just for gays. For social religious conservatives, acceptance of homosexuality - much less transgender identity - is symbolic of losing fundamental control over the shape of society. The straight, white 50s nuclear family is their golden calf.

So the anti-LGBT language gets worse every year, and the entire context makes it doubly grotesque that they trot out references to Orlando as a puerile distraction from their actual beliefs (and use said references to shore up bigotry against another group of people at the same time.)

Ekai

I think a lot of people see the GOP obsession with sexuality and gender identity as a weird sideshow that, while distasteful and stupid, is just a distraction. I tend to see it the other way around - their fixation on LGBT persons is indicative of a deeper agenda to regress society in general, not just for gays. For social religious conservatives, acceptance of homosexuality - much less transgender identity - is symbolic of losing fundamental control over the shape of society. The straight, white 50s nuclear family is their golden calf.

So the anti-LGBT language gets worse every year, and the entire context makes it doubly grotesque that they trot out references to Orlando as a puerile distraction from their actual beliefs (and use said references to shore up bigotry against another group of people at the same time.)

Honestly you're probably dead on here.

Pepboy

Didn't a huge part of the deficit jump under Obama have to do with no longer separating Afghanistan/Iraq war expenses from the rest of the budget?

Not to my knowledge. Expenditures didn't change that much / were on trend, as I showed in the previous graphs. The main issue was reduced receipts (driven by recession).

the mind set of a Trump supporter - facts don't fit my narrative? well they must be wrong!

what a load of shit lmao

Oh man. I just can't handle this level of shitposting after a full page of data seven posts up shows the facts do show national debt nearly doubling during the Obama administration. (Which, as I've highlighted several times, is not Obama's fault.)

Not that you're likely to be swayed by facts, but here's the link again:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210937158&postcount=15828

RomanceDawn

Like I said earlier I'm black, married to a Chinese Canadian immigrant, with a ton of blood relatives from Guatemala and Mexico. In my neighborhood and around my family if I even so much as mention that I like something Trump said I gotta be ready for fists to fly. I guess I should be against everything Trump says but when he talks about wanting our immigration laws to be enforced or how our veterans are treated medically after they return from service that resonates with me. Then when he talks about NAFTA I look at my industry and the all the stunt and acting jobs that go over to Canada and elsewhere when originally they would have stayed here.

Do I think he has the answers? I really don't know. Do I think I know the answers to these problems? Of course not. But he brings up the topics I want to hear about and makes everyone talk about them.

I mean I hear the other things he says, sometimes contradictory or outright lies, but he's running a "reality tv show" and basically playing the game. Like fix the TSA? What does he know, he hasn't been in TSA line at normal terminal once in his private jet life. When I hear any political figure say they are going to do this and that I generally don't believe them, but the fact that he is the only one talking about those things I mentioned above is what gets me.

I love my mom and grandma and listen to them from time to time, doesn't mean I agree with everything they say.

I probably set myself up for all kinds of good comebacks so just let em fly, if liking some of Trumps topics make me racist or a bigot, well I'll do my best to fix that.

Blader

Like I said earlier I'm black, married to a Chinese Canadian immigrant, with a ton of blood relatives from Guatemala and Mexico. In my neighborhood and around my family if I even so much as mention that I like something Trump said I gotta be ready for fists to fly. I guess I should be against everything Trump says but when he talks about wanting our immigration laws to be enforced or how our veterans are treated medically after they return from service that resonates with me. Then when he talks about NAFTA I look at my industry and the all the stunt and acting jobs that go over to Canada and elsewhere when originally they would have stayed here.

Do I think he has the answers? I really don't know. Do I think I know the answers to these problems? Of course not. But he brings up the topics I want to hear about and makes everyone talk about them.

I mean I hear the other things he says, sometimes contradictory or outright lies, but he's running a "reality tv show" and basically playing the game. Like fix the TSA? What does he know, he hasn't been in TSA line at normal terminal once in his private jet life. When I hear any political figure say they are going to do this and that I generally don't believe them, but the fact that he is the only one talking about those things I mentioned above is what gets me.

I love my mom and grandma and listen to them from time to time, doesn't mean I agree with everything they say.

I probably set myself up for all kinds of good comebacks so just let em fly, if liking some of Trumps topics make me racist or a bigot, well I'll do my best to fix that.

The problem is you don't get a line item veto with your vote. When you cast a vote for Trump in November, it's not a vote for some of his policies and against the ones you don't agree with; it's a vote for *all* of his policies, everything he has endorsed or proposed in his campaign. So the calculation you have to make for yourself is, are the things I want to see Trump do more valuable to me than the things I disagree with Trump on?

Also, let's parse out what are the specifics of these things he's talking about. Like immigration. What immigration laws aren't being enforced right now that are frustrating you? Obama has deported more illegal immigrants than any other president and illegal immigration has dropped off to its lowest level in decades. Do you want all 11 million illegal immigrants in the country now to be rounded up and deported, with a Mexican-funded wall built all along the border to keep them from coming back? Because that's what Trump wants. That's his one and only policy goal for immigration reform. If that's not exactly what you want -- if you want something different or less extreme or, hell, anything targeted the immigration system itself so that it's easier for immigrants to become citizens -- then maybe you should rethink what Trump's stance on immigration means to you.

RPGCrazied

Glad this week is over. Sucks though we have to put up with Trumps shit for another 4/5months. Ugh.

Oh well, time to hear the other saner side talk next week.

atr0cious

How can you support a party who thinks you and our people deserve to be literally shot on sight or at a single slight? You must be well off to not notice your brothers and sisters living in squalor due to that same party's poisonous policies.

Also, you seem very proud of a bunch of "half true" ratings.

Just sharing the assessment from a premier factchecker. However, maybe if someone ran over to Vox or AP, then you'd see more editorial opinion, salt, and apocalyptic rhetoric about the speech's dark tone/divisiveness rather than a more strict evaluation of the claims made. Thought he did good overall.

Just sharing the assessment from a premier factchecker. However, maybe if someone ran over to Vox or AP, then you'd see more editorial opinion, salt, and apocalyptic rhetoric about the speech's dark tone/divisiveness rather than a more strict evaluation of the claims made. Thought he did good overall.

Hold on tight to that self delusion, it's the only thing that's going to get you through the next few months.

strict evaluation? Like cherry picking crime statistics to make it sound like the U.S. is on the brink of a "hoodlum/immigration/refugee takeover"? Notice no comment on the overzealous law enforcement. When in fact Crime has been dropping for decades as a whole. Or his comment "Obama doubled the debt" while ignoring what Obama walked into and his policies didn't double our debt. Or how about "these refugees are coming over with not screening" which is 100% false. You know... all the scare tactics he's using is based on either half truths, cherry picking stats, or outright lies, all to rile up people and make them afraid and divide people. But I guess if that's what you call a "strict evaluation".... I don't know what to say. But step in line folks.. Law and Order.. step in line for the dictator fascist trump.. step in line or the cops are gonna getchya.. get out the billy clubs..

Streaming is a lot bigger than eight years ago, and not accounted for in these numbers. I watched the entire speech on my phone. Eight years ago I had a flip phone.

Even with streaming, you could say he did moderately better than Romney. I don't think it was the phenomenon people thought it would be.

......when he talks about wanting our immigration laws to be enforced or how our veterans are treated medically after they return from service that resonates with me. Then when he talks about NAFTA I look at my industry and the all the stunt and acting jobs that go over to Canada and elsewhere when originally they would have stayed here.

The fact you see him running a "reality tv show" as acceptable when running for the presidency is crazy.

Plus, what immigration laws aren't being enforced? Plus he has ignored that Obama has deported more immigrants than GWB, or that illegal immigration is at a net zero right now and has been for a few years.

How did NAFTA stop stunt and acting jobs from staying here? The biggest issue with the loss of manufacturing has been technology and the increase in efficiency, since workers can now produce like 5x as much today as they could in the "golden days"

btw, the idea that only trump is bringing up immigration reform (something dems have been fighting for for years with zero help from the right), or combatting the loss of manufacturing jobs, just means you haven't been listening to what the left has been saying for years, since they have been bringing these points up for a long time... way before trump was on the scene or saying Obama is a muslim

The Debates scare me. Trump showed he can deflect anything on stage. And I just don't see what tactic Hillary can use to go up against him live.

Only when part of a larger group. That's not going to be the situation here, Clinton will press him hard, and he's not experienced enough to deal with it.

There is no insult he can throw out she hasn't had to deal with a thousand times. Meanwhile, she'll push every button of his, and he''ll blow up as a result.

Nokterian

Someone needs to fact check that "fact checker".

I thought Ivanka knocked it out of the ballpark and The Don hit a solid stand-up double. Between Ivanka and The Don, they gave red meat to the base and made some strong appeals to women, Independents, the LGBTQ community, misguided Bernie supporters and blue collar Reagan Democrats. Good move to expand the party and go for the win in November.

I even choked up little bit when Trump mentioned the names of the parents from the Remembrance Project.

Glad there were more reporters than protesters.

raw

Klocker

Perfect analysis here.

Scary that people can not accept that "freedom" means freedom of choice that all people can live how they were born or choose to live.

Their fear that it is impacting their children or their lives simply by them acknowledging that people who live differently than they do, exist in the world is sad and should concern us all. It's a greater failure on their part to coexist in the world and relinquish the illusion that they can not make the world to suit their little fantasy.

Edit:
I don't have a problem with them living their little fantasies about god and nuclear families and what all of that means and how they congregate to worship some (in my mind) silly nonsense. But I respect their right to exist and live in the country and be protected by the same rights as the rest of us.

Garlador

What amuses me so much (and frightens me) is how many gay escorts in Cleveland were reporting record service with the convention there, candidly saying that business was booming and that the majority of their clients were 40-to-50 year old white married "conservative" men... many of whom "were politicians and elected officials".

To me, that's indicative of a sort of internalized shame and self-loathing about the LGBT lifestyle that they will overcompensate for by vehemently and staunchly opposing in public with fire and brimstone... while embracing it in the dark shadows away from the eyes of the public and the knowledge of their wives.

It's hypocrisy, but it also breeds extremely dangerous thinking and action. It's grown men so insecure about their own sexuality that they'll fight tooth-and-nail against LGBT legislation just to calm their own twisted conscience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom