• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock

'He's just an honest guy.'

Honestly, what the hell is going on?

Trump believes he cares about everyone and will do the best. He has real conviction in believing his own bullshit. Its greatest tool/weapon. The ghostwriter for the art of the deal Tony Schwartz, talks about Trump ability to fully believe in something hes thinking or saying at a given moment. Even if it changes later or is bs. That is a very powerful skill.

On an unconscious level he communicates a "genuine" sense of honesty and truth. Its aligns with a common thread I've seen from Trump supporters, that thread being "I might not like everything he says but at least hes being honest/real".

This is also why lots of people have a problem with Hillary. Her words say one thing but her unconscious communication says another. Her unconscious communication isn't necessarily saying she lies, but at times it seems to convey another agenda or true lack of caring.

Blader

That's not true at all, my parents generation is alive and well with many years left on their life.

On Reagan Democrats:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/the-myth-of-the-reagan-democrat/475608/

What is a “Reagan Democrat?” At its most literal, it’s a Northern, white, noncollege-educated Democrat who actually voted for Ronald Reagan. But there aren’t many of them left. The median member of the voting-age population in 1980 was 40—and, according to the CDC, the average white male who was 40 in 1980 lived another 34 years. So the typical blue-collar white man who voted for Reagan in 1980 can’t vote for Trump this fall. He’s dead.* White men born in 1950 die on average at age 66. That’s this year. White working-class men die even earlier. The average white woman who at age 30 voted for Reagan in 1980 will live a bit longer: until 2022. Most white working-class women, however, won’t make it until then.

So when people talk about “Reagan Democrats” today, they don’t mean Democrats who actually voted for Reagan. They mean the people who resemble them demographically: Northern blue-collar whites. But blue-collar whites don’t enjoy the same political significance they did in the 1980s. In the 1988 presidential election, they constituted more than half the voters. This fall, they’ll constitute roughly one-third. A new Center for American Progress report, brought to my attention by The Washington Post’s Greg Sargent, notes that in the classic “Reagan Democrat” states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin, blue-collar-whites’ share of the electorate will shrink two percentage points between 2012 and 2016 alone.

Not only are blue-collar whites a smaller share of the electorate than in 1980, they also behave differently. As American University political scientist David Lublin notes, “The early 1980s were the height of weak partisanship with voters much more willing to defect from their party in elections than today.” Back then, Democrats were less homogenously liberal. Lots of whites with fairly conservative views on race, gender, and national security still identified with the party. So ideologically, voting for Reagan wasn’t much of a stretch.

Since then, however, American politics has witnessed a massive ideological “sorting.” The kind of conservative blue-collar whites who would once have been “Reagan Democrats” are now mostly Republicans. As The Washington Post’s Phillip Bump notes, working-class whites are almost 10 percentage points more likely to identify with the GOP than they were in 1980. Those blue-collar whites who remain Democrats are more liberal. It may be because they’re members of unions and thus more sympathetic to a pro-government message. It may be because they’re Millennials, who even in the white working class tend to be more secular, more pro-gay marriage, and less racially resentful than their parents and grandparents. It may because they are women, who are somewhat more liberal than men overall.

'He's just an honest guy.'

Honestly, what the hell is going on?

I think it's clear that we live in a world where facts no longer exist. We are inundated with so much information that it's impossible to separate the noise, especially for the uneducated.

Now, anyone that believes what they are saying is seen as an honest person, despite the fact that every story for the last 40 years has been about how much of a despicable human being Trump is.

It's just mind boggling. Imagine Obama wanted to break with our European allies, cozy up to Russia and start trade/tariff wars with the entire world.

everyone does this, not just Trump supporters.

Nah, it's pretty easy for me to say, yeah, Hillary fucked up. She's an idiot for xyz unforced error.

You have here people rejecting FBI data because reasons. Rejecting science. Rejecting any and all factual info that tells them they are wrong. This is not quite the same at all.

Just listened to the speech.

Tell me, GAF, you guys are smarter than us, right? You won't vote this guy in? Because right now I have no power over a guy being elected who might very well bring my entire country into war, and that's an incredibly worrying thought.

Not a chance.

Watch the Democratic convention, it will cheer you up.

Having watched bits and pieces of this thing I am so fucking glad I was born in Canada. Life in America must be miserable as fuck.

Life in America is amazing, just because conservative bullshit exists and needs to be fought doesn't mean things are that bad.

too many contradictions in Trump's stump that makes the brain hurt

he said that they should protect the LGBTQ community,

then later he says that religious institutions must be free to speak their minds which contradicts that

and stuff

BFIB

Having watched bits and pieces of this thing I am so fucking glad I was born in Canada. Life in America must be miserable as fuck.

Nah, its not bad at all. Most people view the way most democrats do, and most enjoy just trolling the republican establishment.

bionic77

too many contradictions in Trump's stump that makes the brain hurt

he said that they should protect the LGBTQ community,

then later he says that religious institutions must be free to speak their minds which contradicts that

and stuff
Demagogues are amazing if you are a complete moron.

But they will give smart people a headache.

Co-worker this morning: "He's pointing out the problems, problems that I'm seeing and he's able to voice those problems which is what I want to hear."

Other co-worker: "What problems, the brown people?"

gQqeS9d.jpg

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

It is if you're racist, xenophobic, and hate seeing minorities, women, and LGBT people have rights and a voice. Otherwise it's a neat place, I like it here.

Boke1879

Eh I'm not miserable. This country does have issues that need to be worked out though. No one can deny that.

I'm afraid of what this country will be if those bigoted, racist, thin skinned, ego maniac becomes President though. This man must not win.

jbug617

Banned
More info for last night

@mulvihill79: 20.8 rating and 37 share across six networks for night 4 of the RNC.
@mulvihill79: On one hand, the overnight for Trump's acceptance is in the neighborhood of an NFL Wildcard game, certainly one of the year's bigger events.
@mulvihill79: On the other hand, overnight suggests Trump will fall far short of Obama 2008 and may even fall short of both Bush and Kerry 2004.
@mulvihill79: Top market for the RNC was again Ft Myers at a 27.8 and a 44 share

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/politics/gop-convention-speeches-fact-check/index.html

Cnn did a pretty good fact check. Most of what he said was true, and many of the falses were false because of some technicality like saying unemployed instead of underemployed

A lot of those weren't just technicalities. But plenty of statements made that were outright false or misleading. Sprinkled with just enough truth. So typical half-truth items like usual.

I still can't believe this Sheriff. What a nasty, bigoted, partisan fuck.

Screen_Shot_2016_07_22_at_10_02_56_AM.jpg

He constantly links to hate trash like this: https://t.co/VzjlF4nEim

Yeah, basically any Muslim living in the US is only "pretending" to fit in by doing "normal" things, but in reality its part of a long term conspiracy to implement Shariah law. Any Muslim that does stuff like open a business, engage with the community, get a degree, or seek political office is also evidence of implementing such a strategy. This thinking is so vile, promoting people to look at every single Muslim with suspicion simply for living their lives and being Muslim. They are all part of an amorphous blob to destroy the country.

When the first Muslims arrive in a Western democracy, they keep a low profile and make few if any demands on the host nation. Many quietly work as students, business owners, professors, doctors and other professionals, making good first impressions and gaining vocational respect.

How dare they.

Plumbob

Whoever wrote this does not speak Spanish very well because it reads kind of broken, the correct phrase would be "Latinos por Trump" or "Latinos con Trump"

"Latinos para Trump" sounds like we are being offered or something. It's weird.

Latinos in order to Trump!

tuxfool

Banned
Whoever wrote this does not speak Spanish very well because it reads kind of broken, the correct phrase would be "Latinos por Trump" or "Latinos con Trump"

"Latinos para Trump" sounds like we are being offered or something. It's weird.

They're going to use them as slave labour to build his wall.

gaugebozo

I think the reasoning is incorrect here. The life expectancy if you were born in 1950 was about 66 years for a male. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

Life expectancy means that in 1950, a baby would be expected to live 66 years. It does NOT mean that someone who was 30 in 1980 would be expected to live another 36 years. The people who died before 30 have already died, and are no longer affecting the average.

So for instance, a man who is 65 today can expect to live till 84. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

This is despite them being born around 1950, and the life expectancy today is only 75.

Edit: Also important is the old, "a statistician is someone who drowns in a river that's an average of one foot deep," joke. Just because we are past the average age those people died at would not mean that they are all dead.

Supast4r

No need to apologize. Every little helps and congrats on being willing to donate towards something you believe in. :)

Same to you. You may not be able to donate much, but at least you care enough to donate. Congrats on donating $10 towards #MakingAmericaGreatAgain.
One of the kinder post I have seen on GAF :)

_Ryo_

I believe the poster was questioning whether those people are latinos

I dunno if they are or not... but I wouldn't doubt that as crazy , and as racist as Trump is, he'd somehow consider anyone who speaks Spanish a Latino regardless of their actual race if it fit into the context of his narrative and made him look good. Could definitely see him to go as far as hiring plants for his audience as well.

Just like he thinks a photo of himself eating a taco bowl proves he loves mexican people. He is literally delusional enough to think that way..

Oriel

Someone needs to fact check that "fact checker".

I thought Ivanka knocked it out of the ballpark and The Don hit a solid stand-up double. Between Ivanka and The Don, they gave red meat to the base and made some strong appeals to women, Independents, the LGBTQ community, misguided Bernie supporters and blue collar Reagan Democrats. Good move to expand the party and go for the win in November.

I even choked up little bit when Trump mentioned the names of the parents from the Remembrance Project.

Glad there were more reporters than protesters.

F6y1qvV.gif

Nordicus

Cities: Skylines shoutout?
Would have been funny to give a shoutout to a game developed in a social democracy (Finland)

Just like he thinks a photo of himself eating a taco bowl proves he loves mexican people. He is literally delusional enough to think that way..
Hey, let's be fair here!

That taco bowl could be made with the flesh of Mexican immigrants. Ergo Donald loves Mexican people

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Looks like he might not even hit the viewership numbers for Mittens if the other 3 nights are predictive of last night.

Also, if you want to know what team Hillary thinks about this, the VP announcement has yet to happen, and I think they will wait until Saturday to let this shitshow of a speech eat up another news cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom