• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Sora_N

I'm so freakin' annoyed right now, trying to study and pretty much everyday I get spam called twice by local numbers to my cellphone. I'm in BC so there's 604 and 778 area codes.

I got 2 calls, one said I won a free cruise (no f you) and I also got one blank one where no one talked.

On top of that, some dumb chick pocket dialed me too. :/

I called the two telemarketer numbers back and there IS an option to opt out but honestly I don't think it works at all. All the phone numbers lead to a machine so I can't scream at any human being.

I JUST signed up for the no call list on my cell phone and home phones. Not sure what else I can do.

zroid

Banned
I don't even answer calls on my cell from numbers not in my contact list anymore. 95% of the time it's bullshit, and if it were something important I assume they'll leave a voicemail.

Windam

Scaley member
I'm so freakin' annoyed right now, trying to study and pretty much everyday I get spam called twice by local numbers to my cellphone. I'm in BC so there's 604 and 778 area codes.

I got 2 calls, one said I won a free cruise (no f you) and I also got one blank one where no one talked.

I called the two telemarketer numbers back and there IS an option to opt out but honestly I don't think it works at all. All the phone numbers lead to a machine so I can't scream at any human being.

I JUST signed up for the no call list on my cell phone and home phones. Not sure what else I can do.

The National Do Not Call List/company telemarketer blocks only block people who are directly selling you things over the phone. "Free" offers, surveys, and other similar things get a slide as it's considered "marketing" or "market research".

Sora_N

I don't even answer calls on my cell from numbers not in my contact list anymore. 95% of the time it's bullshit, and if it were something important I assume they'll leave a voicemail.

It's really distracting for me since my phone ringing also breaks me out of my concentration. I only have my phone on if there's some emergency or whatever though.

Maybe I should find if there's a way for non-listed numbers to go straight to voicemail.

joedick

It takes less than 30 seconds to say 'not interested' and hang up. I dunno, as long as they don't call at 3 am I don't really let it stress me out.

If all you have is a few simple things like a T4, T5, T3, T2202A etc, just go to HR block online filing. It literally walks you through each step and its only 10 bucks. If you have tuition carry over amounts go to CRA and figure out what they are,

Sora_N

It takes less than 30 seconds to say 'not interested' and hang up. I dunno, as long as they don't call at 3 am I don't really let it stress me out.

That's true, but they're not even people. Just some assholes using machines to spam me with free cruises and blank calls.

Cheerilee

You can't do anything about phone spam. The foreign spammers just laugh about attempts to shut them down.

The Do Not Call List makes it illegal for Canadian spammers to spam you, but it also legally requires that every dirty spammer in Canada be informed about your phone number, which they turn around and sell to the foreign spammers.

You can't win. If you have a smartphone, you can blacklist phone numbers, but the spammers can spoof phone numbers, pulling random numbers out of their ass, from your local area code even. My brother got a phone call once from an irate local, asking why he spammed them. He didn't. The spammers just happened to be pretending to call from my brother's number that day.

Maybe they'll fix it when they do the eShop update tomorrow. They probably don't honestly expect people to rush to download it for $5 off.

haha that's true, I read the email and just told Nintendo to screw themselves!
Anyway for the past month or two it's clear they can't stick to the higher MSRP for long, not a single game stayed for a month without a discount here or there!

Zeeman

krae_man

Anyone here file their own taxes? I found out today that not only did my buddy (accountant) not file my taxes, but he also will not get to do them before the deadline. I have always wanted to learn how to do my own taxes, but with only a week left I'm pretty nervous. Can anyone recommend the best way to file? TurboTax, Simple Tax, etc?

Download Studio Tax from the CRA website. It's free, easy and you can E-File with it*

*provided you have a Service Canada/CRA or whatever login already. Also not sure how that heartbleed bug changed things.

Dazzler

The company that was spamming me most with calls was my own phone company, Fido

I let my two year deal expire and they rang me once a week/two weeks trying to entice me to recommit with some awful deal on an awful phone. Had to ask them to opt out of their marketing calls

Download Studio Tax from the CRA website. It's free, easy and you can E-File with it*

*provided you have a Service Canada/CRA or whatever login already. Also not sure how that heartbleed bug changed things.

Heartbleed didn't change anything in terms of how you remit your filing electronically. It may also be possible to sign up for E-File without having to wait for a mailed code if you use the partner login.

Past

Of course the day I forget to check the used game deals early is the day that they're great deals that I'm frustrated that I missed. Maybe some people will get lucky and have a copy available for in store pick up.

Luigi's Mansion 2 for $9.99 at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=9b5d078db59d3f9fb69f586b4a375809en02

Mario Kart 7 for $9.99 at Future Shop: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=f3153ebea49dbffd61f9a10136436f20en02

They was no stock to begin with.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten called a couple of times from "windows" warning me that my PC is infected. I told them to stop calling, but it hasn't stopped them.

Also, I've gotten three calls from a local Tim Horton's for some reason on my cell asking for somebody else.

flkraven

Giant Tiger has a strange group of Collector's Edition games on sale. I know Aliens: CM is supposed to be crap, but I scored this for $19.99:

FYAhGOL.jpg

Also saw Zone of Enders CE for PS3 and a few other items.

My FS copy of Demon Gaze came in today after I received a $20 gift certificate as an apology for not fulfilling my order!
I feel like I shouldn't use that gift certificate after all!

ohlawd

My FS copy of Demon Gaze came in today after I received a $20 gift certificate as an apology for not fulfilling my order!
I feel like I shouldn't use that gift certificate after all!

Give me it ;)

You're the second person to get a copy AND the $20. What the hell. Did you preorder right after the deals went live?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Give me it ;)

You're the second person to get a copy AND the $20. What the hell. Did you preorder right after the deals went live?
I got the game and the email as well. I was worried for a sec. Makes the xbone headset adaptet much easier to get now anyway.

I just picked up Diablo 3 PS3 from Staples in Gatineau. Sales associate told me they were getting out of videogames (thread on RFD too). Not huge savings, PS Vita for $180, clearance games ..
Diablo 3 was $9.97 for the French version but I just tried it out and the game itself plays completely in English, only the case is French. And with game saves being transferrable to the PS4 version, makes it even better. Employee told me they had a lot more in the back room.

Thank you. Picked up the las t copy for $9.97. Why is it advertised and the case in French if it plays in English?

The English copy is still $40.

Zing

Banned
It's really distracting for me since my phone ringing also breaks me out of my concentration. I only have my phone on if there's some emergency or whatever though.

Maybe I should find if there's a way for non-listed numbers to go straight to voicemail.
If you have an iPhone, you can enable "do not disturb". Add people that you care about to your favourites list. Anyone on favourites list still causes phone to ring. Everyone else is muted.

espher

Giant Tiger has a strange group of Collector's Edition games on sale. I know Aliens: CM is supposed to be crap, but I scored this for $19.99:

Also saw Zone of Enders CE for PS3 and a few other items.

I bought ZoE and Arkham Asylum CE. I thought about Aliens: CM but I couldn't decide if $20 for the figure was worth it.

They also had NBA Baller Beats or w/e which I almost bought on a lark but I'm pinching pennies for my downpayment so $40 was my upper bound on leisure spending.

Shadous

Neo Member
Not too big a savings but Second Son is $60 at BestBuy ending today (Halifax). I've been holding off for a better sale but I guess it's better than nothing since I've been dying to play it.

Stat!

So is Nintendo not doing the eshop price drop for Canada? A $10 premium on a game as old as Mario 3D Land is highway robbery.

Kinda sucks. Im looking for 3DS deals (like 3D Land) but I keep missing the ones from FS/BestBuy and now the prices are higher than ever.

Lexxism

Kinda sucks. Im looking for 3DS deals (like 3D Land) but I keep missing the ones from FS/BestBuy and now the prices are higher than ever.

They are doing the price drop but it's just $5 and not $10 like in the US.

edit: cool. OUYA is #1 again in amazon.ca

Stat!

They are doing the price drop but it's just $5 and not $10 like in the US.

edit: cool. OUYA is #1 again in amazon.ca

Ahh okay. I wasn't sure if the 3DS games were getting price bumps this late like some of the next-gen games.

Still missing the $10 Mario Kart deals and such as I only have AC:NL for 3ds but looking for some other games as well to tide me over until Smash Bros.

iphys

Anywhere I can get a Wii Fit U with balance board for <$90?

Shop.ca if you use the ebates.ca or greatcanadianrebates.ca 15% cashback and the RETAILMENOT coupon code to get $10 off. I think shop.ca has sometimes been giving out $15 coupon codes on Facebook if you can get one of those instead.

Lexxism

Shop.ca if you use the ebates.ca or greatcanadianrebates.ca 15% cashback and the RETAILMENOT coupon code to get $10 off. I think shop.ca has sometimes been giving out $15 coupon codes on Facebook if you can get one of those instead.

The problem is those two won't stack.

Megasoum

Banned
It's really annoying... My Watch_Dogs PS4 pre-orders on Futureshop dissapeard a couple of days ago... If I try to look at my history on the site I don't see any orders in the last 12 months. I sent a mail on monday to support to get an update and still no answers...

I actually want to cancel the order so it's not the end of the world if I buy it "by accident" since I can return it easily but still, it's annoying.

Top Bottom