• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Idle Master Thread - Get your Steam Trading Cards the Easy Way

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
YvAKjOW.png

Idle Master is an application that automatically idles your Steam games to extract all of your available Steam Trading Cards. The application automatically finds the games you have drops remaining in, and idles those games one by one until all of your trading cards are in your inventory. This way, you can start up the program and go to sleep / work / away and come back to an inventory full of cards.

Official Site
Steam group
Source code repository

V5ILPqc.png

Installation Instructions

Go to the Official Site, download and run the setup.exe file there. The program should launch automatically when the installation is complete. Make sure Steam is open and you're logged in. To start idling, you'll need to click the (Sign In) button and sign in to Steam. Once that's done you should be "in-game" on Steam and the program will indicate as such. Now go watch TV, go to bed, or go on vacation. When you come back to your computer, you should have a pile of Trading Cards in your inventory.

Here is a video tutorial that chixdiggit put together : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRyADO8fK4

Some FAQ

How does this work?
First of all, the program will determine which of your games still have card drops remaining. It will go through each application and simulate you being “in-game” so that cards will drop. It will check periodically to see if the game you’re idling has card drops remaining. When only one drop remains, it will start checking more frequently. When the game you’re idling has no more cards, it’ll move on to the next game. When no more cards are available, the program will exit.

Do I need to download a game in order for this program to get it's trading cards?
No.

Do I need to be logged in to Steam for Idle Master to work?
Yes, Steam needs to be running and you must be logged in.

Does this work if my Steam isn’t in English?
This new version should work irregardless of your Steam language. If you're interested in localizing Idle Master into your language, please let me know.

Can I play a game while this is running?
It’s possible, but doing so may significantly reduce your card drop rate. For best results, pause idling or exit this program before playing a game.

How do I close the application?
Simply click the red X at the top of the application window.

Is this safe?
Presumably so, yes. People have been idling their games ever since Steam Trading Cards were introduced, and I'm not aware of a single person who has been punished for using these methods.

Why do I need to sign in to Steam from the application?
When you visit your badges page on Steam, it will show you how many card drops you have remaining in each game. When another user looks at your badges page, they can only see the badges you've completed. By signing in, this allows Idle Master to connect to Steam properly and gives it access to this information that only you can see.

Why should I trust this?
The entire project is open source, which includes the source code for all binaries.

Troubleshooting

Idle Master looks like it's working, but I'm not getting any Steam Trading Cards.
First of all, be patient. Idle Master doesn't make them drop any faster than they normally would if you were playing the game, and each game has a different drop rate. Another thing to check is that your Steam profile correctly shows that you're "In-Game". If Steam doesn't think you're "In-Game", it means something is wrong with your configuration.

I have another problem not listed here
Feel free to post it in this thread. Hopefully I (or another Idle Master user) can help you.

Known Issues

moKU9In.gif

The Cowboy

Loving it, just downloaded it and its currently doing a run on 53 games for me, i had to run it as an admin to make it work though, running it normally it would say it was idling in the app but it wasn't showing in Steam.

Lunaniem

It's excellent work like Enhanced Steam, was able to run overnight and get many card drops without doing a thing.

wilflare

this is the holy grail

833 card drops remaining
225 games with drops remaining
218 games eligible for booster packsWorth Approximately $110.48

Cade

Dunno if you saw my tip from the other thread, but for Chrome you can click the paper icon next to the URL in the URL bar on steamcommunity.com and click Show cookies and site data. It's easier than going through settings.

Nete

Great, great application :)

Does this work if my Steam isn’t in English?
Not at this time. Hopefully this will be working in a future update.

With Steam Beta active seems to work without needing to put the client in English. Or at least in my case has worked perfectly with the beta client in Spanish. No idea with the rest of languages.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Great, great application :)

With Steam Beta active seems to work without needing to put the client in English. Or at least in my case has worked perfectly with the beta client in Spanish. No idea with the rest of languages.

Awesome to hear, glad it's working for you. The requirement for Steam being in English is just on the Steam website, not the client itself (just for clarification).

Hopefully soon I'll be able to support other languages through the settings, for those whose Steam website isn't in English.

Is there an OS X version?

There isn't at this time. steam-idle.exe was written in C#, so another similar program would need to be written for OSX. The main application (start.exe) is written in Python and is easily portable to OSX or Linux. The good news is that the code is all open source so if someone is interested in putting an OSX or Linux version together, all they need to do is contact me and I'd be happy to help them distribute it.

L.O.R.D

question
is using this game with VAC game is good , or i should be worry ?
for example , running CS:GO and running this program , can it trigger VAC ?

Ozium

Before anyone asks (haven't read thread yet so I may be too late):

YOU WILL NOT BE VAC BANNED FOR USING THIS

tioslash

The requirement for Steam being in English is just on the Steam website, not the client itself (just for clarification).

Hopefully soon I'll be able to support other languages through the settings, for those whose Steam website isn't in English.

The Steam website should be in english? It´s in Portuguese here and so far it seems to be working great.

jshackles

I want to use this so bad but I'm afraid :/

I know that people said that this is fine, but I'm still afraid.

Obviously everyone has to evaluate their own risks, and I totally respect that.

The software that makes the whole thing work (steam-idle.exe) is an application I wrote in C# using the same tools that game developers use when putting their own games on Steam. To Steam's servers, running my program or running the game's actual executable file should look no different to them.

The Steam website should be in english? It´s in Portuguese here and so far it seems to be working great.

Good to know. start.exe operates kind of like it's own web browser (which is why it needs your cookie data) so perhaps it's just automatically defaulting to English. The reason I mentioned that it's required is that it's looking for the English phrase "No card drops" on the badge page in order to move on to the next game. I believe this text is translated into other languages.

That crash happened a long time ago. I've been struggling for months to sell a foil for 20c.

Sorry, I didn't knew that happened. (I'm not all that much into Steam news those days, just playing some games here and there)

Obviously everyone has to evaluate their own risks, and I totally respect that.

The software that makes the whole thing work (steam-idle.exe) is an application I wrote in C# using the same tools that game developers use when putting their own games on Steam. To Steam's servers, running my program or running the game's actual executable file should look no different to them.

Thanks, I trust that you wouldn't do something bad, my fear is not about information or stuff like that, it's just...irrational, I think.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Before anyone asks (haven't read thread yet so I may be too late):

YOU WILL NOT BE VAC BANNED FOR USING THIS

lol, I thought you said you will be VAC banned for it and I was scared.
I've been doing the SAM thing for months but of course idle master is better

There isn't at this time. steam-idle.exe was written in C#, so another similar program would need to be written for OSX. The main application (start.exe) is written in Python and is easily portable to OSX or Linux. The good news is that the code is all open source so if someone is interested in putting an OSX or Linux version together, all they need to do is contact me and I'd be happy to help them distribute it.

Actually, you should be able to re-use the steam-idle.exe by using Mono. This will allow it to run on OSX and Linux.

You'll have to package it specifically for OSX (not sure about Linux). OSX should be an app bundle, and it should be able to hold the Mono Runtime so the end-user doesn't have to install it.

EDIT: Forgot to say great job. :p

Not working for me

Enter the data into text file
save it
run start.exe

command prompt shows up, quick text shows up and closes.

jshackles

Actually, you should be able to re-use the steam-idle.exe by using Mono. This will allow it to run on OSX and Linux.

You'll have to package it specifically for OSX (not sure about Linux). OSX should be an app bundle, and it should be able to hold the Mono Runtime so the end-user doesn't have to install it.

EDIT: Forgot to say great job. :p

Awesome, will definitely look into that when I get a chance. I know that Steamworks.NET (which steam-idle.exe uses as a Steamworks wrapper) also has an OSX version. So I'm sure it's possible, but will need to be built.

Not working for me

Enter the data into text file
save it
run start.exe

command prompt shows up, quick text shows up and closes.

Usually this means Idle Master doesn't think it has any work to do. Do you have any card drops remaining? If so, double check that your settings.txt file is correct.

Also I should point out that your profile URL shouldn't be in https. This program doesn't have anything built into it that can handle SSL.

Awesome, will definitely look into that when I get a chance. I know that Steamworks.NET (which steam-idle.exe uses as a Steamworks wrapper) also has an OSX version. So I'm sure it's possible, but will need to be built.

Good luck. I'd take a stab it it myself, but I've never actually packaged something for OSX before. Not to mention that I'm totally a Windows guy, so I kind of get frustrated using my Mac Mini for anything other than basic functions.

Also, you shouldn't have to alter your code in anyway. The last time I tried it (way back when it was more of a beta) you could use a command-line tool (or Terminal on Mac) to generate the appropriate files. I'm not sure how it's done now, as I haven't kept up with the Mono development.

Also, the Mono website kind of tries to push you towards buying licenses for Xamarin products, but for what you need it for it should be completely free.

Usually this means Idle Master doesn't think it has any work to do. Do you have any card drops remaining? If so, double check that your settings.txt file is correct.

Also I should point out that your profile URL shouldn't be in https. This program doesn't have anything built into it that can handle SSL.

I believe I have plenty of card drops remaining...I have many games on by back log.

Testing this on my laptop, which doesn't have that many games installed, but the games don't have to be installed right.

Entered the info as instructed. No spaces, no enters, just pasted the info between the quotations. Also the URL is http.

Shengar

So if I play different game than the idled one, I still need to close the program in order to maximize the drop?

Strider

Downloaded the updated version just recently and tested it out. Works perfectly.

I was getting an error last night each time I tried but whatever changes you made today work like a charm. thanks to both you and Stump. Great work.

I believe I have plenty of card drops remaining...I have many games on by back log.

Testing this on my laptop, which doesn't have that many games installed, but the games don't have to be installed right.

Entered the info as instructed. No spaces, no enters, just pasted the info between the quotations. Also the URL is http.
Might be a game with a weird title, if it is the same as the version I have. I know Hitman: Absolution™ can cause it to close, since the ™ in the title throws IM off. This may have been fixed in the latest version, so I'll check later.

EDIT: Okay, I replaced IM with the latest version, and Hitman: Absolution™ works. :)

jshackles

Mr. Shackles. I just tried it on another PC and it works fine. Same Steam account. Really boggled by this.

That's pretty strange. Does the different PC run a different version of Windows or anything weird? You may need to install the .NET framework 4.5.

Dsyndrome

Found out what my issue was, it was going to the /home URL of my profile, so when I put that in as my login, it would say zero games; when it actually was on my profile page and I put in the URL correctly, now it's searching the 35 games it should.

Needless to say, I'm stupid, this program's awesome. Thanks for the work and ingenuity!

jshackles

Found out what my issue was, it was going to the /home URL of my profile, so when I put that in as my login, it would say zero games; when it actually was on my profile page and I put in the URL correctly, now it's searching the 35 games it should.

Needless to say, I'm stupid, this program's awesome. Thanks for the work and ingenuity!

No problems, glad you got it going. In the next update I'm hopefully going to be able to remove the need to enter your Steam URL at all (it'll get the data it needs from the two cookie values), to further reduce the confusion.

Silky

Banned
It's not working for me. Put all of the information in and it it's dead. :/

Is my SteamCommunity URL reccommended?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Woah, awesome work man. I was always too lazy to idle for cards. I have 140 games with card drops. Now all I need is a program to list cards on the marketplace.

Lomax

Love the idea, fantastic work as always. Is there any way you could do a version where we choose the games to idle? I'd prefer to use the program just to knock out the games I never plan to play first if I could.

Amzin

This is an important note, since if you copy+paste from looking at your profile page, it'll probably be https :p removed the s and it seems to be working!

You're the gift that keeps on giving, jshackles!

Top Bottom