• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Idle Master Thread - Get your Steam Trading Cards the Easy Way

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just downloaded the new version of Idle Master with the GUI (I had since been using the command prompt version) and I was wondering, does it take a long time to get account information when you first start it?

Admittedly, I have over 2000 games, but it's been stuck at "Idle Master is saving your information" for about 30 minutes now.

I just downloaded the new version of Idle Master with the GUI (I had since been using the command prompt version) and I was wondering, does it take a long time to get account information when you first start it?

Admittedly, I have over 2000 games, but it's been stuck at "Idle Master is saving your information" for about 30 minutes now.

Same issue. Did you figure it out?

edit: nevermind. I just restarted Steam and it worked.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, I had to sign in through IdleMaster first then open Steam for it to boot.

I love the upgrade btw, jshack. You're awesome.

Sysgen

I restarted Idle Master and it worked but later I noticed it never cycled to the next game. Looking @ the Next Check I noticed it @ 0:00 so I restarted Steam and then Idle Master and all is working.

First time using the new "shiny" GUI version.
KUJZ28A.png

Pretty nice looking and easy setup.

Great work jdude!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I found this separately through a search after realizing I hadn't bothered to collect the cards in the majority of my games and it was going to take forever to catch up (turns out I have a backlog of 250 drops over 67 games). I was coming here to see if it had been mentioned and here it is posted by the author, lol. Great tool, thanks. It's a big improvement to not have to download them all.

For people looking for an easy way to sell, the Chrome add-in "Steam Inventory Helper" has a quick sell button to put them up for one cent under market, for example. I'm going to start finishing up some badges and get that Steam level up.

Majukun

got a new pc,tried to use the program but it's stuck at saving my info.
tried rebooting steam ,the pc and the program to no avail.
also tried to put the info manually,but even though i think i got the righy ones,the program says they are invalid.

it's strange because on my old pc i had no problems making the older version working..

does it matter if i have changed the directory where i installed steam?

inm8num2

I don't know if this has come up before, but I thought it might be neat to have an option that allows Idle Master to collect data about the average time per card drop for each game from users who opt in. Some games seem to take 4-5 hours just for 3-4 cards, so there may be cases in which users want to prioritize games with faster drop rates.

Just a random thought as I'm idling a some bundle games I won't get a chance to play for a couple weeks. Damn your slow drops, Scourge: Outbreak!

edit - just after making this post, the final card drops!

C4rter

This "next check 0:00 for many hours" happens for me once the reconnect of my internet connection happens. The reconnect better should not happen during the idle process, that breaks it somehow. Probably because the IP address changes and that makes the Steam login invalid or something like that.

Dwayne

Anyone having trouble with Idle Master today? I get a 404 error. I tried blacklisting 368020 (Monster Summer Sale) but still get the same issue.

Parsnip

Anyone having trouble with Idle Master today? I get a 404 error. I tried blacklisting 368020 (Monster Summer Sale) but still get the same issue.

It's just Steam servers being wonky because of the sales. Idlemaster probably can't reliably fetch the badge page because Valve's servers are melting.

Arthea

It's the first time idlemaster stopped working for me (used it almost since beginning), steam seems to be fine, idlemaster insists that idling days are over, they are not, seemingly it doesn't even try to check.

BibiMaghoo

This worked for me as normal yesterday, but today it just says it's working but with an AppID instead of the game name, and doesn't launch a mini window so Steam doesn't think I'm in a game at all. Guess it's because of the sale.

Parsnip

Yeah, it seems it was this.

Add 368020 to the blacklist and it should start working again. I'm working on an update that I'll be pushing out soon that fixes this, but essentially Idle Master is trying to load the header image for the summer sale badge and it's failing out.

Arthea

new version not working for me either

edited: the same as older version I was using, it seems to be unable reading my badge pages

edit2: here how that looks, it indefinitely checks badge page, never succeeds, I can access a badge page both in client and browser

Shady859

I'm so out of the loop I didn't even know this was a thing until I saw it mentioned in multiple Steam threads these last few days. I used to idle stuff to get cards when they first became a thing but quickly quit that and just started getting them naturally. That is a super slow process as fast as Steam backlogs add up when you play the same games for 100+ hours lol. This is perfect since I have just a couple games installed since moving to SSD.

Checked this out and I have 61 games to drop 219 cards. Perfect time to bust my card load into the Spring Sale. :)

Edit: working like a charm and just remembered 200 item market limit, time to break out my alt trade account. ;)

Sysgen

new version not working for me either

edited: the same as older version I was using, it seems to be unable reading my badge pages

edit2: here how that looks, it indefinitely checks badge page, never succeeds, I can access a badge page both in client and browser

This is a perpetual problem for me.

I'm having trouble finding the install path so I can manually idle games based on appid, anyone know? Windows search just keeps digging up shortcuts.

drotahorror

(These first 2 games are without Idle Master, didn't discover it til afterwards)

Have they done something to how you can get cards now? I can't get any cards unless I'm actually in game and not paused. I let They Breathe, a game you can beat in 30minutes idle on the main menu for 2 hours and didn't get one card. Started it up today and let it idle in game play and got the cards in the 30min.

I let Dawn of War 2 idle at main menu for around an hour. Nothing. Played the game, beat 2 missions, got 6 cards.

Today I found Idle Master.

It's been 'playing' Age of Mythology for an hour or two. Nothing.

Arthea

(These first 2 games are without Idle Master, didn't discover it til afterwards)

Have they done something to how you can get cards now? I can't get any cards unless I'm actually in game and not paused. I let They Breathe, a game you can beat in 30minutes idle on the main menu for 2 hours and didn't get one card. Started it up today and let it idle in game play and got the cards in the 30min.

I let Dawn of War 2 idle at main menu for around an hour. Nothing. Played the game, beat 2 missions, got 6 cards.

Today I found Idle Master.

It's been 'playing' Age of Mythology for an hour or two. Nothing.

as per last update during last steam summer sale, no cards drop until 2 hours passed. If you have many games to idle, it can be somewhat countered by using idle-to-ready prior to idle master.

edited: idle-to-ready idles 25 games to 2 hours mark simultaneously.

edit2: I also hoped that after this change to card drop times, devs will try to make their drop times shorter, but that's not happening, unfortunately.

drotahorror

Ah ok, thanks that clears it up.

Kind of confused on this idle-to-ready. Is this a separate program? I searched idle-to-ready steam, on google and your post is one of the first to come up.

Arthea

Ah ok, thanks that clears it up.

Kind of confused on this idle-to-ready. Is this a separate program? I searched idle-to-ready steam, on google and your post is one of the first to come up.

just download the latest idlemaster, idle-to-ready program is included in it and yes it's separate exe file.

Maybe something's changed then.

I downloaded from here - http://www.steamidlemaster.com/ Clicked the Download Now button.

Right-click run as admin on the setup.exe. Click install, it downloads a couple MB's and the program automatically starts.

In my start menu there is only one file there as well (Idle Master).

hold on a sec, lemme check

drotahorror

Maybe something's changed then.

I downloaded from here - http://www.steamidlemaster.com/ Clicked the Download Now button.

Right-click run as admin on the setup.exe. Click install, it downloads a couple MB's and the program automatically starts.

In my start menu there is only one file there as well (Idle Master).

Arthea

Idle Master Discontinued

In light of the upcoming Steam Marketplace changes next week, I’ve decided to discontinue working on and supporting Steam Idle Master. As someone who is unable to use the mobile authenticator, having trading cards put on hold for 15 days prior to being listed in the market makes the proposition of selling them a difficult one. As most of you know, the value of each card can fluctuate wildly in that amount of time.

This, bundled with additional security measures Valve has put in place are a good step forward in that they make Steam more safe for its users. For me personally, the cost of this safety is inconvenience. For people in my position who are unable to use the mobile authenticator, this effectively makes idling for and selling Steam Trading Cards a futile effort.

Idle Master started out as and always has been a hobby project. My personal attitude towards it has always been “It’s something I built for myself that I find useful, others probably will too”. The first part of that statement, however, is no longer true.

Going forward: I will be updating the Idle Master homepage so that the “Download” button links directly to the portable version of Idle Master. The homepage will remain online for the foreseeable future, but I’ll be adding a statement to the site that the program has been discontinued and is no longer being supported.

The source code for Idle Master is and will remain available on Github under an open source license.

Finally, I would like to say “Thank you” to all of Idle Master’s users and fans. Without you, a project like this couldn’t have been as successful as it was. For those of you who this security change won’t affect: happy idling in the future!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/idlemastery#announcements/detail/666902171288054077

ZV3dR5p.jpg

deleted

I just realized this exists due to the Steam Winter Sale thread and was wondering:

How safe is it to use from a VAC perspective? I know it says in the FAQ that there are no known issues with this, but of course a quick google brings up some horror scenarios with banned accounts (which I guess are most likely not true).

Thought I'd ask here though.

Deques

I just realized this exists due to the Steam Winter Sale thread and was wondering:

How safe is it to use from a VAC perspective? I know it says in the FAQ that there are no known issues with this, but of course a quick google brings up some horror scenarios with banned accounts (which I guess are most likely not true).

Thought I'd ask here though.

It's safe. I have gotten at least 4k cards using IdleMaster

Also read this FAQ if you want to get cards quickly
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215927103&postcount=1625

TheBear

Is this still supported? I've been running it for the last few days and it's been working fine and now today no cards have dropped at all. Currently been idling RE5 for the past 8 hours without a card drop. Any tips?

Cheers

Is this still supported? I've been running it for the last few days and it's been working fine and now today no cards have dropped at all. Currently been idling RE5 for the past 8 hours without a card drop. Any tips?

Cheers
jshackles creased development following the marketplace changes. It still works for now though.

I had a similar problem with a game a few days ago. It eventually sorted itself though (so could have just been Valve not giving cards). Sometimes just closing steam client down (and idle master) then reopening both sorts these kinds of problems out.

Some time in the future it is likely to break completely (say, valve re-writes the badges pages) or slightly (e.g. tries to idle holiday badge which isn't a game...just blacklist that thing) but given the source code is out it could be an easy fix. Still if one needs a more continually supported (albeit a bit more complicated) sort of thing then ArchiSteamFarm is worth keeping an eye on. Unlike idlemaster it runs without the steam client.

Deques

Cheers

Are there any cards left to drop?

Top Bottom