• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Idle Master Thread - Get your Steam Trading Cards the Easy Way

PriitV

Quick feature suggestion, a blacklist option would be nice, have some games I want to play in the future and would rather keep the steam gametime counter accurate.

BPoole

It's telling me a have 0 games left to idle, even though I know I have dozens that have cards and I have never even played

Edit: Nvm, I fixed it. I had my URL as steamcommunity.com/BPoole96/home and that was directing the program to my friend feed, instead of my actual profile

is this normal behavior? start (exe) will run an app, but after dropping a single card terminate the steam-idle process for some reason, despite there being more drops for that game.

Caerith

Quick feature suggestion, a blacklist option would be nice, have some games I want to play in the future and would rather keep the steam gametime counter accurate.

For now, you can manually skip a game by killing the steam-idle process (just hit the red X) then hitting ctrl+C in the start.exe process. Problem is you can only do this for games it's already started.

One more question; if I put my computer on Sleep mode will the application still work?
It'll resume when your computer wakes up.

is this normal behavior? start (exe) will run an app, but after dropping a single card terminate the steam-idle process for some reason, despite there being more drops for that game.

That doesn't seem normal. What is it saying when it terminates steam-idle?

kionedrik

Thanks to those involved for all the time and work put into this. I'll be trying it later.

One question: will Playfire see the game you're "idling" as being played? I'm only asking this because it can screw up those "Play for the first time" rewards.

Awesome idea, jshackles. I'd been using Steam Achievement Manager but it's not exactly a great solution, so this is perfect.

Hey jshackles!

It says I have 0 games with drops left.

EDIT: ok, I found what was wrong. Part of the LoginID key I copied was hidden because it was too long... Oops.

(btw, in chrome, to get faster access to the cookies, you can click on the leftmost icon inside inside the address bar and click "show cookies and site data")

Tizoc

Soon i will know what it feels like to ve a true steam millionaire.
Is there a wat to make it only run games that are installed or which games i want it to idle?

Dr Dogg

So I woke up this morning, saw I had over £10 in my wallet balance from 0 yesterday morning and 15 more cards in my inventory to chuck on to the market. The first thing that came to my mind was this...

moKU9In.gif

and no I totally didn't just spend the last hour making that

Great work jshackles. You gone dun it again!

F-Pina

This is very interesting.
On the other hand, as a developer, this totally screws up our "median gamer time" spent with the game as people are spending time with the game, but they aren't playing it.

Dascu

Do I need to download a game in order for this program to get it's trading cards?
No.
So I can use this to get cards for my not-downloaded and uninstalled games? And it's not like it downloads them in the background, so I don't need to worry about HDD space or bandwidth?

Tizoc

So I can use this to get cards for my not-downloaded and uninstalled games? And it's not like it downloads them in the background, so I don't need to worry about HDD space or bandwidth?

It is now Idling Memoria for me and I haven't even downloaded that game yet :p
So the answer is Yes.

Haunted

This is very interesting.
On the other hand, as a developer, this totally screws up our "median gamer time" spent with the game as people are spending time with the game, but they aren't playing it.
I understand what you're saying, but it's not like people hadn't been idling before this program. This just makes it more convenient.

Reading out game time has always been sketchy.

mclem

I wonder what impact hundreds of cards hitting the market might be. Could be nuts.

It's an odd one since people won't be getting *more* cards, they'll just get the cards they were entitled to *sooner*. So there might be a peak, but then it ought to even out.

This might well be a great time to work towards badges.

Saty

Is there a difference between steamLogin and steamRememberLogin cookies? Cause i couldn't find the former so i tried with the latter but it doesn't work.

Shrubbery

"start.exe is not a valid win32 application"

Windows XP sp3 32-bit.

Do I need any particular version of the NET framework?

Double

Damn. I really don't like having my comp running overnight....eh fuck it
You can still run it during daytime and get loads of cards, if you're not in a hurry! Okay, if you play steam games all day your drop rate might get really bad, but who plays games on steam anyways? =)

My Idle Mistress is working great, thanks again Jshack and Stump!

Strider

Checking in to report my results after running it for 8 hours or so last night.

I got 5 drops total so it didn't work completely as intended unfortunately (it's supposed to drop a lot more than that isn't it?). Checked the log and I got this message several times.

Checking to see if app 204450 has remaining card drops
app 204450 has 1 card drops remaining
sleeping for 5 minutes

It repeated that 5 times and it also repeated another for a different game as well. Not sure what the deal is but thought I'd let you know Jshackles :) It's running but not getting the drops for some reason.

Amzin

I got 5 drops total so it didn't work completely as intended unfortunately (it's supposed to drop a lot more than that isn't it?). Checked the log and I got this message several times.

It repeated that 5 times and it also repeated another for a different game as well. Not sure what the deal is but thought I'd let you know Jshackles :) It's running but not getting the drops for some reason.

That's normal behavior, it checks every 5 minutes when there's only 1 drop remaining to see if the last drop happened yet. That appid is Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. You said it happened 5 times, which is about 25 minutes or less for one drop, which is where it should be.

What other game did you get the message for? Was it permanently stuck on the other one? Did you ONLY get drops from CoJ + that other game?

Edit:
Is there a difference between steamLogin and steamRememberLogin cookies? Cause i couldn't find the former so i tried with the latter but it doesn't work.

I'm not a cookie expert but I have to assume they're different. Try logging out of steam in your browser and back in again. If that doesn't work, you could log out, clear the steamcommunity.com cookie, then try again.

JakeD

certain games just drop ridiculously slow. the program is probably working fine and you just unfortunately got stuck on one of those games. i've got about 5 hours of idle time in awesomenauts and i still have a drop or 2 left.

Is there anyway to get the cookies from the steam client directly rather than the browser cookies? Just wondering because I clear my browser cookies regularly and don't feel like starting a whitelist or dealing with steamgaurd repeatedly.

Strider

That's normal behavior, it checks every 5 minutes when there's only 1 drop remaining to see if the last drop happened yet. That appid is Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. You said it happened 5 times, which is about 25 minutes or less for one drop, which is where it should be..

certain games just drop ridiculously slow. the program is probably working fine and you just unfortunately got stuck on one of those games. i've got about 5 hours of idle time in awesomenauts and i still have a drop or 2 left.

Ah ok thanks for the responses. I thought something just might have gotten stuck based on that message repeating like that. I saw others reporting a lot more drops so thought mine bugged out.

The other game was Batman Arkham City GOTY.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm curious: would you guys be opposed to Idle Master collecting anonymous usage statistics about how long you idle particular games until they're out of cards? Possibly making it an "opt-in" option in the settings file?

With everyone idling essentially the same games with the same drop times, I think it would be awesome if Idle Master collected these statistics. They could then be compiled and used in the program itself - something like "Starting Awesomenauts to idle cards: approximately 9 hours remaining...". Or something like "3 card drops remaining: estimated time to next drop is 25 minutes."

Having enough data from enough people could let the program accurately predict these types of things. Of course, I know not everyone is keen on "their information" being sent to a server somewhere.

EDIT: this data could even be put to use in Enhanced Steam, when viewing the badges page it could display the average time to drop cards.

I'm curious: would you guys be opposed to Idle Master collecting anonymous usage statistics about how long you idle particular games until they're out of cards? Possibly making it an "opt-in" option in the settings file?

With everyone idling essentially the same games with the same drop times, I think it would be awesome if Idle Master collected these statistics. They could then be compiled and used in the program itself - something like "Starting Awesomenauts to idle cards: approximately 9 hours remaining...". Or something like "3 card drops remaining: estimated time to next drop is 25 minutes."

Having enough data from enough people could let the program accurately predict these types of things. Of course, I know not everyone is keen on "their information" being sent to a server somewhere.

EDIT: this data could even be put to use in Enhanced Steam, when viewing the badges page it could display the average time to drop cards.

assuming it default to no, and the code remains os i don't see a problem. btw, thanks! amazing idea and it's been working perfectly.

I'm all for it. If it's opt-in I don't see any real downside for anyone to complain about. While you're adding features I think a time stamp would be handy when looking back at the logs, especially for troubleshooting. Also handy for figuring out when exactly the next refresh will be.

Dr Dogg

That's funny you mention data collection as I was after logging on my drops and times so cobbled together a really archaic script in Powershell which really is only reporting back every 15 mins so is wildly inaccurate (didn't fancy putting my Python skills to the test this morning :p). I'd be all for it as it would be useful information for everyone concerned.

Nabs

I'd be down for that.

Parsnip

As long as it's opt-in, go for it.

L.O.R.D

my friend have a problem , he has family view on his account and he can't use your program
he need to disable family view to use the program
is there a way to use it while family view is on ?

Top Bottom