• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Pokemon X/Y? *Gen 1 purists are funny*

kasane

My problems are

Too fucking easy
Shit story
Slow progression
Shit friends
Your rival is also shit
The moment you get lucario everyrything even gets more easier

Complaining about the difficultly in Pokemon is like complaining about getting wet in the rain. These games aren't made for you and me, their target audience has to be able to play these games without having their soul crushed. I've been doing the Gift Pokemon method in attempt to ramp up the difficulty in the solo mission. X/Y just had a poor select to attempt to build a team with.

I couldn't finish Black or White and skipped B/W2 because of it. It had some good ideas like forcing you to use all the new Pokemon and learn all their new typings before you unlocked the old Pokes from past generations. But like someone pointed out earlier, for every step forward it took two steps back.

Keyouta

Complaining about the difficultly in Pokemon is like complaining about getting wet in the rain. These games aren't made for you and me, their target audience has to be able to play these games without having their soul crushed.

Why make excuses for the developers though? Game Freak should be adding in a difficulty setting. If you play the rom hacks, you'll find Pokemon games can be very difficult if they're designed like that. Easy, Normal, and Hard. Solves the "too easy" problem really easily.

Hope they add in a difficulty setting in ORAS and Z, just without the horrible unlock system from B2W2.

Marow

Complaining about the difficultly in Pokemon is like complaining about getting wet in the rain. These games aren't made for you and me, their target audience has to be able to play these games without having their soul crushed.
What are you even talking about? Past games, while still relatively easy, have had hurdles to overcome. G/S/C especially had the second and third gym (I actually find this generation the most difficult when it comes to Gym Leaders and Elite Four), R/S/E had Winona and the two sisters and so on and so on. I personally struggled a lot against the Elite Four in B/W.

In X/Y, the difficulty is lowered a lot. Perhaps it's due to the new EXP Share, as the game clearly wasn't designed around it, as I used it.

I couldn't finish Black or White and skipped B/W2 because of it. It had some good ideas like forcing you to use all the new Pokemon and learn all their new typings before you unlocked the old Pokes from past generations. But like someone pointed out earlier, for every step forward it took two steps back.
But... B/W2 had older monsters from the start?

I did find that XY's story was easy, straightforward, and perfunctory. The lowered barriers, so to speak, definitely pay dividends elsewhere, though - I've never been as invested in breeding and raising pokemon as I am now thanks to how friendly the process has become.

I do agree with BW felt like more of a progression, though you can argue that it to also tried to appeal/recreate some of the "magic" of Gen 1 itself via the concept of nothing but 150 new monsters.

One of BW's failing, however, is that the designs of the new monsters were very polarizing. And the decision to lock it down to the just 150, despite the multitude of pokemon that now exist, meant that you kept constantly running into the same monsters that a lot of people didn't care very much for. And this limit was a known problem, giving Diamond and Pearl's infamously horrible regional pokedex + distribution/availability of said pokemon - something that resulted in Platinum adding ~60 pokemon to the regional pokedex and making more of the new pokemon less rare/obtainable before beating the E4. --And this was an area where XY was much more progressive with by finally ditching the long outdated practice of a very limited pre-E4 pokedex and making a treasure trove of pokemon available as you played through the game's story.

For perspective, my 6 year old daughter loved every bit of it.

The story, the trainer videos, pokepuffs and whatever else. Even the amazing big city.

I can understand the lists of issues but I don't think they all necessarily apply to the target gamers.

Josephl64

Gen 4 was so bad that I quit Pokemon until gen 6, however after hearing how good gen 5 was...I do feel like going back and playing it.

That being said, while I did enjoy the great amount of gen 1 fanservice, there was simply not enough new pokemon, but that wasn't anywhere near the biggest problem for the game to me. The story was amazingly dull, and some of your rivals weren't ever really developed, what's worse is probably the lack of post-game content.

That being said, I feel like gen 6 is fine, but nothing special. Some advances like EV training and online content, but too many steps back at the same time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Personally I have no problems with 6 barring the slowdown on battles and the amount of gen 1 shilling.

It has everything players wanted early on - best hatching method, easier IV transfer, easier IV recording, easier EV training, etc.

With that said the streamlining of the numbers game inadvertently lead to a rather shallow single player experience. I don't get the post game argument though, since all games don't really have a meaty post game unless they're the third version (which this game doesn't have yet). I also don't get the single player being easy complaint since all Pokemon games are easy.

I think it's a valid entry given the transition from 2D to 3D for the long standing series.

However as a single entry there's not balance, no features, and critically too few pokemon.

Top Bottom