• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had 100 FOR GLORY matches. 50 each.

Four person stats:
12 victories
20 second places

Since it's two minute timed battles it's hard to do well consistently. It's almost random. There are times when I thought I was doing poorly, only to end up in first place. I really wish this mode was stock. A two stock mode with four players would go by pretty quickly. I really hate the wombo combos I end up in. Someone will throw me into another person's up smash and then I'm finished off by a third person's aerial attack. DID THEY PLAN THIS BEFOREHAND?

1 on 1:
26 victories
24 defeats

ABOVE .500 BABY. I lost 7 out of my last 8 matches, people are getting too good. There is a decent diversity of characters, I never run into a streak of the same fighter. Though I do get clobbered sometimes, I've had a lot of intense, palm-sweating matches. You can really feel the size of the blast boxes though. There were so many times I thought I nailed the game-winning hit, only to see that goober still in the circle. I've broken down character selection patterns.

Tryhard wannabes: Fox, Rosalina, Sheik
People who are actually having fun: Villager
In the middle: Mario, Capt. Falcon, Robin
People who desperately want to lose: Little Mac, Lucina
"Fuck it, I'm picking Ike": Ike
"I want to be the most annoying asshole possible": Sonic

Online has been incredibly smooth. I don't even remember if I've had any lag in a 1v1 match. In four player matches there's always some jerk who comes in and brings everything to a halt. It's really apparent when you one person is slowing everyone down. I was playing a series of matches with the same three guys, but one of them left. A new guy joins and we lag it out for two minutes. That guy leaves, a new guy enters, and everything's fine again. If you are lagging, make sure you aren't the reason.
You sound like the saltiest man alive lol get your skill up dude :p

Forkball

Nothing against Lucina, but most people who pick her online aren't very good. One match after I posted this, I beat a Lucina in Sudden Death with Wii Fit Trainer. Get Sun Salutationed. I think the only time I lost to Lucina 1v1 was because I choked hard and got cocky.
There are people that play Ike apart from this reason?
Ike is the ultimate "I don't give a shit" character. People who pick Ike don't care if they win or lose, just that they hit people with his giant ass sword. Do you feel good when you win as Ike? I don't. Are you ever mad that you lost as Ike? Of course not. Were you ever in awe of another Ike's incredible skill? The answer is no.
I haven't seen a single sonic! Only ever seen 1 Ike and 1 other Robin too. I get a lot of mac and sheik though. There is still tons of diversity online and that's great. Online really is amazing in this game!

Out of 138 1vs1 matches I've lost 32 and won 105. I don't know where that last match is as that only adds up to 137...

PGz20MY.gif

I've seen some Sonics in 1v1 and 4 player. Most try to do those annoying ass homing shots and then try to take you out with their air game. Some are pretty good, though I did fight against one who botched it hard and literally killed himself two times in about twenty seconds.

Is there any For Fun stat keeping? In the April Direct, Sakurai said "only your wins will be recorded" for For Fun, but all the stats just seem to be for For Glory modes.

You sound like the saltiest man alive lol get your skill up dude :p

I'm coming over to your house and we're doing 1v1 Pichu only matches.

Mistle

Damn, I'm so excited for a working online. Considering the hours I've sunk into Mario Kart online, I can only imagine how many Smash will get

Mr. Fix

I think beating a skilled Shiek/ZSS player with Ike would be great.

Also you'd only pick Lucina over Marth if you're too lazy to learn how to space yourself. :p

StayDead

Nothing against Lucina, but most people who pick her online aren't very good. One match after I posted this, I beat a Lucina in Sudden Death with Wii Fit Trainer. Get Sun Salutationed. I think the only time I lost to Lucina 1v1 was because I choked hard and got cocky.

We should play, what's your friend code and will you be around in an hour? :p

deeTyrant

There are reasons to still pick Lucy such as a faster run speed.

Someone really needs to do a video comparison of this and put this to rest cause I keep hearing conflicting things about Marth v Lucina's run speed.

Although I do agree that there are reasons to pick Lucina other than just not wanting to learn spacing. Such as her upsmash really taking advantage of its bizarre hitbox due to her dealing damage evenly across the whole hitbox and getting a really reliable and solid kill move that Marth lacks.

Dragoshi1

So I've had 100 FOR GLORY matches. 50 each.

Four person stats:
12 victories
20 second places

Since it's two minute timed battles it's hard to do well consistently. It's almost random. There are times when I thought I was doing poorly, only to end up in first place. I really wish this mode was stock. A two stock mode with four players would go by pretty quickly. I really hate the wombo combos I end up in. Someone will throw me into another person's up smash and then I'm finished off by a third person's aerial attack. DID THEY PLAN THIS BEFOREHAND?

1 on 1:
26 victories
24 defeats

ABOVE .500 BABY. I lost 7 out of my last 8 matches, people are getting too good. There is a decent diversity of characters, I never run into a streak of the same fighter. Though I do get clobbered sometimes, I've had a lot of intense, palm-sweating matches. You can really feel the size of the blast boxes though. There were so many times I thought I nailed the game-winning hit, only to see that goober still in the circle. I've broken down character selection patterns.

Tryhard wannabes: Fox, Rosalina, Sheik
People who are actually having fun: Villager
In the middle: Mario, Capt. Falcon, Robin
People who desperately want to lose: Little Mac, Lucina
"Fuck it, I'm picking Ike": Ike
"I want to be the most annoying asshole possible": Sonic

Online has been incredibly smooth. I don't even remember if I've had any lag in a 1v1 match. In four player matches there's always some jerk who comes in and brings everything to a halt. It's really apparent when you one person is slowing everyone down. I was playing a series of matches with the same three guys, but one of them left. A new guy joins and we lag it out for two minutes. That guy leaves, a new guy enters, and everything's fine again. If you are lagging, make sure you aren't the reason.

All the characters I bolded from your post I have fought, and, ironically enough, fall under the same descriptions for me as they already did for you.

I have fought, like, 5 sonics, 1 Bowser, 1 Ness, 1 Duck Hunt, 1 Fox, 1 Rosalina, and 1 Luigi.

I've only lost once so far because I accidentally self-destructed as Yoshi on FD while trying to grab a ledge and not realizing I didn't grab it.

866531588.jpg

This one felt nice. First three kill match in the demo against a level 9 CPU in the no-items mode. I'm getting the hang of using Pika's dair to defend off the edge of the stage.

Just curious, has anyone managed to get four kills in the same situation? It seemed like I had to play perfectly to get three in two minutes.
Don't mind me bragging a bit? :p
Bx7USAPIgAAeqHM.jpg

The "fall" was actually an SD, went too deep. (Worth it for the kill though)

Forkball

All the characters I bolded from your post I have fought, and, ironically enough, fall under the same descriptions for me as they already did for you.

I have fought, like, 5 sonics, 1 Bowser, 1 Ness, 1 Duck Hunt, 1 Fox, 1 Rosalina, and 1 Luigi.

I've only lost once so far because I accidentally self-destructed as Yoshi on FD while trying to grab a ledge and not realizing I didn't grab it.
I've never fought a Duck Hunt in 1v1. I did fight one Ness, who was extremely good.
Can I join or do you guys want to have 1vs1?... Pls luv me too!

Post your FC, I might be on in about 45ish minutes.

JoeInky

1on1: 174W/104L - 62.58%
2v2: 4W/0L - 100%

I blame doing nothing but playing Smash Run for three days on my low win ratio and losing faith in Ness, you guys so how bad I played on that GAF stream, that was my first game against human beings after 3 days.

Also this is basically my opinion of characters in for glory:

Sonic players: SHWING SHWING SHWING SHWING SHWING ARE YOU ANNOYED BY MY NOISES YET SHWING
Palutena players: I just lost to projectile spam, if I spam rolls, reflects and auto-reticles with this character that means I'll win, right?
Little Mac players: Please, kill me. Every moment I live is agony
Zero Suit Samus players: That one guy won a tournament so she must be OP, I'll spam stun laser and dash attacks because everyone I've played so far has no idea what to do, I have no idea how to adapt once this strategy fails.
Diddy Kong players: Time to show this guy how to play Ness
Rosalina players: Look at me! I'm completely dominating the stage and I barely need any skill to do it! (seriously fuck Rosalina)
Everyone else: We don't exist.

Anura

1on1: 174W/104L - 62.58%
2v2: 4W/0L - 100%

I blame doing nothing but playing Smash Run for three days on my low win ratio and losing faith in Ness, you guys so how bad I played on that GAF stream, that was my first game against human beings after 3 days.

Also this is basically my opinion of characters in for glory:

Sonic players: SHWING SHWING SHWING SHWING SHWING ARE YOU ANNOYED BY MY NOISES YET SHWING
Palutena players: I just lost to projectile spam, if I spam rolls, reflects and auto-reticles with this character that means I'll win, right?
Little Mac players: Please, kill me. Every moment I live is agony
Zero Suit Samus players: That one guy won a tournament so she must be OP, I'll spam stun laser and dash attacks because everyone I've played so far has no idea what to do, I have no idea how to adapt once this strategy fails.
Rosalina players: Look at me! I'm completely dominating the stage and I barely need any skill to do it! (seriously fuck Rosalina)
Everyone else: We don't exist.

I exist and I play Robin! And your Palutena and ZZS impressions are spot on from my experience lol!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I lol'd.

I assume my Brawl experience with ZSS should carry over, she doesn't seem to have changed that much. I will kind of miss not having the up special to meteor or lolcombo people dumb enough to stand above her on platforms though, but having a non-tether recovery move will make up for it.

Makai

My online impressions:

People with Japanese names: Low stuttering. High latency.
People with English names: Low latency. High stuttering.

I racked up 15 KOs against 3 CPUs in one match. Grabbed a homerun bat and went to town. Real men use items etc. :p

I don't think I've gotten above 4 KOs against a lvl 9 with no items though.

Mik2121

Earlier today I played against a really annoying Palutena. She would just keep trying to dodge me all the time and bring me to the borders of the stage to then grab me, throw me and do the UP-A attack (some blue laser beam) when I was getting back into the stage.

We did 3 matches and she just kept doing the SAME thing all the time. First and second matches she won but after that on the third match I beat her 2-0 and it felt so good..

But seriously, this kind of players that just keeps spamming the same technique even after the opponent already knows how to dodge it... makes you wonder if it's fun for them to play like that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not terribly impressed with that Falco showing there, not sure if it is the character or player (Joe). Looked really laggy though (that Fair...), and spamming with that custom laser didn't seem too effective.

More Smash Pics

c0wHbx1.jpg

You'd hardly think she was a supreme cosmic being just by looking at her

ZNHO7Yg.jpg

Bowser Jr.'s not one for sharing a meal

K4v7Mgs.jpg

Sitting on the dock of the bay~

g3FWZp5.jpg

Like father, like son

bg4WOcJ.jpg

I feel a migraine coming on...

IT31Csq.jpg

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

2TFP31u.jpg

With the referee incapacitated, Mr. Game & Watch brings a chair to the ring

o1uPb2y.jpg

This feels like a beautiful dream I once had...

g2VgG8O.jpg

This is not what I expected when they said I'd be facing Roy in the colosseum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom