• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

MoonGred

After ordering a key sampler I went down the rabbit hole that is mechanical keyboards yet again and stumbled across a lot of people who love their das professional/ultimate keyboard, without explaining what exactly makes it so good. They use the same cherry keys as any other brand, so that can only be a small but important factor, it also looks pretty nice and clean, and really sturdy which is another important factor. But that's where I run out of ideas on what that final thing is that makes this keyboard amazing.
Does the comfortability have anything to do with this, just by looking at photos this is quite hard to say. I'd love for someone to completely sell me on it, as I've been really intrigued by it for a while.
I called some local shops when I bought my k70 to see if they had any das keyboards in store that I could have a look at, majority of the places had none in stock or weren't keen on taking one out of the box.

Regardless of what it is, there's no denying that that the das ultimate is a beautiful looking keyboard, one that I'll never get as I'm way to by a typist, not having any markings would be a massive inconvenience.

Piano

Banned
After ordering a key sampler I went down the rabbit hole that is mechanical keyboards yet again and stumbled across a lot of people who love their das professional/ultimate keyboard, without explaining what exactly makes it so good. They use the same cherry keys as any other brand, so that can only be a small but important factor, it also looks pretty nice and clean, and really sturdy which is another important factor. But that's where I run out of ideas on what that final thing is that makes this keyboard amazing.
Does the comfortability have anything to do with this, just by looking at photos this is quite hard to say. I'd love for someone to completely sell me on it, as I've been really intrigued by it for a while.
I called some local shops when I bought my k70 to see if they had any das keyboards in store that I could have a look at, majority of the places had none in stock or weren't keen on taking one out of the box.

Regardless of what it is, there's no denying that that the das ultimate is a beautiful looking keyboard, one that I'll never get as I'm way to by a typist, not having any markings would be a massive inconvenience.

As far as I know they're just regarded for having superior build quality and aesthetics. Maybe there are some additional features. WASD Keyboards have dipswitches, for instance.

Got the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i the other week (brown switch). Possibly one of the best upgrades I've ever made. First mechanical keyboard, and I love it. Puts a smile on my face every time I type, and it's really portable too.

First mechanical keyboard hype! My Func KB-460 with Cherry MX Blues (60g, which I hear is uncommon for blues) got delivered just now and while it takes a little getting used to the spacing of the keys, I can already say that it's much more comfortable than the chiclet keyboard on my laptop. It's just so nice. Typing speed is improving by the second as well.

CLICKITY CLACKITY CLACK, BROTHER!

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Recommend an affordable, reputable mechanical keyboard for a semi-enthusiast PC'er that has a very destructive 5 year old and a semi-destructive 10 year old. Thanks

420bits

I'm looking to upgrade from my old qpad MKxx but not sure what to get.

Got my eye on:
Corsair k70
Ducky Premier PBT dyesub
Ducky shine 3

Musthaves:
Fullsize keyboard, no tenkeyless
Backlight

Don'tcareabouts:
mediakeys or macrokeys.

Any other suggestions? Price doesnt matter but i want something good for both gaming and typing. Would like to go away from the cherry blue i got not, its nice with clicketyclackety but it annoys the hell out of my GF as the computer is in the livingroom. Im thinking cherry red but havn't made up my mind yet.

Ultrabum

Got my eye on:
Corsair k70
Ducky Premier PBT dyesub
Ducky shine 3

Musthaves:
Backlight

Don'tcareabouts:
mediakeys or macrokeys.

Any other suggestions? Price doesnt matter but i want something good for both gaming and typing. Would like to go away from the cherry blue i got not, its nice with clicketyclackety but it annoys the hell out of my GF as the computer is in the livingroom. Im thinking cherry red but havn't made up my mind yet.

I moved from mx blues to blacks, much quieter. Also consider Filco brand boards, I love mine.

420bits

Just go for keyboardco.uk, no tax in Europe so no sense in saying "import", it's like one big country

Well, if I order a keyboard from a swedish retailer, I have my keyboard tomorrow. If it breaks down for some unknown reason, there is less worry about getting back my cost for shipping or any other troubles. Swedish consumerlaws is pretty much awesome.

Also, it's still import if I buy it from another EU-country no matter how you put it.

Got my eye on:
Corsair k70
Ducky Premier PBT dyesub
Ducky shine 3

Musthaves:
Backlight

Don'tcareabouts:
mediakeys or macrokeys.

The Corsair Vengeance k70's backlight is really nice, currently using it with the cherry brown switches, I could never go back to a regular rubber dome keyboard. The build quality is far too nice.

Hello guys, I'm looking to move on from my CMSTORM Quickfire Rapid blue switches into a ~$150 brown switch keyboard. What is the favored keyboard for this price range? I thought it would be FILCO majestouch.

Also, moving from blues to browns, what changes should I be prepared for? is it even a worthy switch?

My primary use is in gaming (DOTA/CS:GO) and I like lighter switches with feedback (but hopefully lesser noise than blues).

Awakened

Hello guys, I'm looking to move on from my CMSTORM Quickfire Rapid blue switches into a ~$150 brown switch keyboard. What is the favored keyboard for this price range? I thought it would be FILCO majestouch.

Also, moving from blues to browns, what changes should I be prepared for? is it even a worthy switch?

My primary use is in gaming (DOTA/CS:GO) and I like lighter switches with feedback (but hopefully lesser noise than blues).
I've only ever used red switch boards, but you might want to check out the brown version of the KUL ES-87. It's priced a bit less than the Filcos on Amazon, but has similar build quality. There are some nice pictures and impressions of the clear switch version here.

I've only ever used red switch boards, but you might want to check out the brown version of the KUL ES-87. It's priced a bit less than the Filcos on Amazon, but has similar build quality. There are some nice pictures and impressions of the clear switch version here.
Thanks for showing me a good alternative. I'm teetering back and forth between brown vs. red, reading back on some really good discussions here in keyboardgaf. I will likely go for a red because I want a softer feeling switch to complement my rather harsh blue (whereas brown will be a similar tactile board).

420bits

Went with a ducky shine 4, brown switches. Should arrive tomorrow.

The premiere didnt have enough backlight although the keycaps looked smoothe as hell.
Not sure about the brown ones, was kinda set on the red ones in the premiere-board. But time will tell, if im not happy with the ducky shine 4 i will get the premiere with red switches instead.

Ban Puncher

Got my Corsair K70 RGB with brown switches today. Hopefully this lasts longer than the 4+ blue LED K70s I went through earlier this year.

Keyboard is fantastic. Lighting program is undecipherable.

Nachtmaer

Went with a ducky shine 4, brown switches. Should arrive tomorrow.

The premiere didnt have enough backlight although the keycaps looked smoothe as hell.
Not sure about the brown ones, was kinda set on the red ones in the premiere-board. But time will tell, if im not happy with the ducky shine 4 i will get the premiere with red switches instead.

I bought one with brown switches last March and I really like it.

Just a small tip if you didn't read about it yet. There's a firmware update that turns the extra keys (calculator, PC and stuff) into media keys. So Fn + calculator works as play/pause and so on. I guess there's the possibility yours will have this firmware out of the box.

Got my Corsair K70 RGB with brown switches today. Hopefully this lasts longer than the 4+ blue LED K70s I went through earlier this year.

Keyboard is fantastic. Lighting program is undecipherable.

You've made a good choice, I've owned my K70 with brown switches for three months, I would never swap back to a regular keyboard at this point.

420bits

Just finished packing up and plugging in the Ducky Shine 4 (year of the horse) and it is really sweet, sturdy and all that jazz that i came to expect form it.

Feels weird with the brown switches compared to my old blue ones. But they drove my GF insane and I had some LEDs die on the Qpad board so it was time to try something new, it is possible to type quiet on this one and they do feel really great so i'm pretty sure i will be satisfied with it for a foreseeable future.

10/10 would recommend.

Damn, now my Ducky Shine 3 YOTS looks old hat. I still love it though, just jealous of you having the new one :)

RE: Coolermaster Novatouch TKL, has anyone seen the UK layout? So far, i'm holding out because all the images i've seen have been of US ANSI boards and i need my Big-Ass Enter key of the UK ISO boards.

besada

Banned
That keyboard was like a sixth the size of this one so it's going to take some time to acclimate...

It's weird getting used to a real keyboard after years on the iMac chiclet keyboards, isn't it? I just picked up one of these:
http://matias.ca/tactilepro4/

Sounds so good. Instead of using MX switches, they re-engineered the old ALPS switches from the standard old IBM keyboards. It's like typing on a machine gun.

Wallach

It's weird getting used to a real keyboard after years on the iMac chiclet keyboards, isn't it? I just picked up one of these:

Sounds so good. Instead of using MX switches, they re-engineered the old ALPS switches from the standard old IBM keyboards. It's like typing on a machine gun.

Matias are interesting 'boards. I can't use 'em for daily drivers, but ALPS are a unique version of crunchy.

I haven't posted in this thread in ages since I'm still using my FC600M as my main. I'm feeling the itch to move back to a standard TKL lately, though; I think whenever EK gets their 45g Realforce back in stock I'm going to grab one up. Love me some Topre keycaps.

mkenyon

Banned
Is it worth upgrading from a CM Storm Trigger to a Corsair K70? Or would it basically be the same feel, but a different body?
The Corsair keyboard feels a bit different from every other mech keyboard I've used (Reds across the board). Rosewill, CM Storm, Leopold, and a Poker.

I'm not sure what it is that makes it feel different, but it does.

Also, the wristpad that came with my K65 RGB is the Cat's Pajamas. Absolutely perfect. I'd assume it's similar across the rest of their boards that have wristpads. My K65 non-RGB did not come with one.

Also, PBT keycaps have been the best "feel" improvement I've done. I swapped out all of the keycaps on my RGB with these bad boys:

R4JwTLah.jpg

Orayn

I had a keyboard with similar ALPS clones, they felt kind of like really heavy, gritty MX Blues with a very "clang-y" sound. Not everyone's cup of tea, but definitely an interesting switch.

I'm looking for my first mechanical. I'm really liking the led functionality of the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i. Except, I don't think I could miss the numpad. So I'm looking for a comparable keyboard with numpad, which CM doesn't seem to produce. I guess that the CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate is a bit older and therefor lacking the new led functionality. Any news on whether CM will be updating their other (affordable) models?

Any suggestion towards a comparable kb with numpad and led functionality would be appreciated too.

BOTEC

I'm looking for my first mechanical. I'm really liking the led functionality of the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i. Except, I don't think I could miss the numpad. So I'm looking for a comparable keyboard with numpad, which CM doesn't seem to produce. I guess that the CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate is a bit older and therefor lacking the new led functionality. Any news on whether CM will be updating their other (affordable) models?

Any suggestion towards a comparable kb with numpad and led functionality would be appreciated too.

Buddy, have I got good news for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=cm_storm_quickfire_tk-_-23-129-013-_-Product

This is the model I own (w/brown switches) and I absolutely love it. Numpads for life!

BOTEC

I know I'm way too nitpicky but it doesn't have fully programmable leds:(

Sadly no, and the LED presets it does have kind of suck in my opinion. When the numpad block is active, half the number keys are off. The hell kind of sense does that make? On the upside, no shitty drivers to futz with.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Oi, I am really down on this mechanical stuff, but I'm a pretty heavy competitive gamer and sensitivity on button pressing is key. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a keyboard and which color I should be leaning on?

Much appreciated

I've tried both, and personally prefer browns. They feel stiffer to me, and I'm all about dat stiffness...

Brown.

Source: I've had blue switches for two years and every time I type on my friend's Browns I wish I had them instead.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards brown at the moment. The thing is, I play a lot and I type a lot (programming), so I'm not sure where I can find the best balance.

Orayn

Oi, I am really down on this mechanical stuff, but I'm a pretty heavy competitive gamer and sensitivity on button pressing is key. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a keyboard and which color I should be leaning on?

Much appreciated

Most Cherry MX keyboards have about the same sensitivity in terms of how far the key needs to be pressed down in order to register, it's mostly a matter of what sound/feel you prefer.

MX Blue = Clicky
MX Brown = Tactile "bump"
MX Red, Black = Linear (Basically feels like a spring)

GeekHack wiki page on Cherry MX switches

There are other types of switches like ALPS and Topre, but those are a lot less common.

Brown.

Source: I've had blue switches for two years and every time I type on my friend's Browns I wish I had them instead.

I've never used blue switches but a guy I play with does and damn they are so loud. I have Brown and they definitely aren't silent but I can hear every one of his keystrokes over the mic in voice chat plain as day.

Top Bottom