• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Steamlord

Man, the new Night School EP demonstrates exactly what Whirr has been missing since Lexy Morte left. It's not a mind-blowing EP or anything, but it's really pleasant noisy dream pop with a bit of a twee 60s girl group vibe. It's really telling in terms of what Morte and Bassett each contributed to Whirr, in that you can hear hints of their Pipe Dreams-era sound, minus Bassett's heavier shoegazing tendencies. I do really dig the sound though, so hopefully they have an LP in the works.

Birthday
Casiotone

I'm still not entirely sure why Morte left Whirr though, considering she and Bassett still have a side project, Camera Shy, going on, so it doesn't seem like the result of a falling out or anything. I dunno. Whirr is just really fucking weird. I still wish we could get that Distressor sound in a full-length album though. That's all I've ever really wanted from them.

Alpende

Yeah, I know that technically it's closer to a single album but I guess splitting it up in two was more of an artistic intent, and I think it's working. The first disc is kinda different from the second.

Ah yes, that's true. They are different in tone, that's for sure.

Valhelm

contribute something
I just found three albums that are perfect for the days leading up to Halloween. There's something spooky about each one.

Shakey Graves - And the War Came

All Them Witches - Lighting at the Door

La Femme - Psycho Tropical Berlin

This added to what Carrie tweets a few weeks ago pretty much confirms a new record.

Love the song. I kind of miss the saturation of The Woods but it's catchy as hell.

Pacbois

So the Sleater-Kinney reunion is now official, new album No Cities To Love out on january 20 alongside a world tour.

fa887a94.jpg

02-08 Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory Spokane
02-09 Boise, ID - Knitting Factory Boise
02-10 Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
02-12 Denver, CO - Ogden Theater
02-13 Omaha, NE - Slowdown
02-14 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
02-15 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
02-17 Chicago, IL - Riviera
02-22 Boston, MA - House of Blues
02-24 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
02-26 New York, NY - Terminal 5
02-28 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
03-01 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
03-18 Berlin, Germany - Postbahnhof
03-19 Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Paradiso
03-20 Paris, France - Cigale
03-21 Antwerp, Belgium - Trix
03-23 London, England - Roundhouse
03-24 Manchester, England - Albert Hall
03-25 Glasgow, Scotland - O2 ABC
03-26 Dublin, Ireland - Vicar Street

Davey Cakes

Sleater-Kinney reunion....

HOLY FUCK YES!

Pretty much the only thing in music I really wanted to happen.

Tickets to the Boston show will be mine.

So, what albums should I listen to by Sleater? I'll check one out to see if I like their stuff (they have a lot).

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of their albums. The woods might be the most different because of the (glorious) production, but all of their records are good.

Try Call the Doctor first.

Pacbois

I guess Dig Me Out is their best. All Hands On The Bad One is also a personal fave. The Woods is really good but sounds kinda different. One Beat is also really good.

big ander

Ought's new tour EP is up on Pitchfork advance. Not as tight as MTAOD but I'm deeply in their camp at this point.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/573-once-more-with-feeling/

same, I really enjoyed it. though I'm hoping this is something of a final clearing-out before whatever is next-- being that this EP is two rerecordings of New Calm EP tracks, a rerecording of a track on the promo version of MTAOD before they joined Constellation, and a part 3 that's mostly noise. I really like all of it but it'd be odd if next year they had an album that was full of Pleasant Heart Pt. 2s or something

K.Sabot

Heard a song from Editor's debut 2005 album The Back Room on a random radio station the other night and now I'm hooked on that album. They're like decent era Interpol that I haven't listened to.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Anyone know of MisterWives? We have a local station that I think is pretty good, and they do these live "Big Room" performances which apparently are uploaded to youtube. I hadn't listened to the radio in a loooong time, and this is the first band I came across in my youtube search :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9LQ3-9MxOU

I'm a little out of touch with music besides some of the big names that get lots of publicity on TV, iTunes, etc. but I really liked this band, and hadn't heard them before :)

big ander

The new Roomrunner EP is out and I like it but think it's a minor misstep. pointedly tries to be more instrumentally complex but also strips out a lot of the shrillness of past releases. Not as urgent. And it doesn't succeed at being any more melodic than previous releases. Still decent, and "Karn" is a killer track.

Pacbois

This month is kinda like a splitfest, Klaxons and Beady Eye just announced they're disbanding.

Actually the Beady Eye split gives me hope for a Ride reunion (I know it won't happen, just let me dream)

Linius

Beady Eye split up already? Liam finally realised it was a sheit project then. Andy Bell finally got some time for good things then.

Fjordson

I saw Tennis over the weekend here in San Francisco. I guess they sound closer to pop than rock these days, but man they were good. One of my favourite current bands out there. The lead singer Alaina Moore sounds incredible live.

Linius

Just took a look on their website. The lineup is insane.

Yeah, arguably the best indoor lineup in Europe.

Another Grouper album, another album I can only listen to when I have trouble sleeping.

I have Sun Kil Moon for that.

In other news, I got lucky to score a ticket to the war on drugs a few hours ago. That gig was sold out six months ago. And it was brilliant. Best one of the three times I've seen them this year.

Not only it's not funny, it's also fucking cringeworthy. Kind of like "dogs".

Does he really want to be the next Wayne Coyne or something?

faridmon

Heard a song from Editor's debut 2005 album The Back Room on a random radio station the other night and now I'm hooked on that album. They're like decent era Interpol that I haven't listened to.

Editors > Interpol

The first album is PERFECT!

I still listen to it to this day and I never get tired of it.

This month is kinda like a splitfest, Klaxons and Beady Eye just announced they're disbanding.

Don't forget that Crystal Castle and The Whitest Boys Alive also announced that they are disbanding. Strange month.

La Femme - Psycho Tropical Berlin

Saw them live twice and they were incredible. I have bought their first EP and absolutely loved it. Have to get this album sometimes.

Linius

To be fair, Interpols debut is miles ahead of anything Editors ever done. And in the end both bands are a poor mans Joy Division.

Valhelm

contribute something
Anyone know of MisterWives? We have a local station that I think is pretty good, and they do these live "Big Room" performances which apparently are uploaded to youtube. I hadn't listened to the radio in a loooong time, and this is the first band I came across in my youtube search :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9LQ3-9MxOU

I'm a little out of touch with music besides some of the big names that get lots of publicity on TV, iTunes, etc. but I really liked this band, and hadn't heard them before :)

Their song Reflections was first released on the great Pretty Lights album Color Map of the Sun. They're pretty talented.

faridmon

To be fair, Interpols debut is miles ahead of anything Editors ever done. And in the end both bands are a poor mans Joy Division.

Everything is poor mans Joy Divisions but I disagree on Interpol

BTW, there is a festival happening in Brighton and I am tempeted to go. The problem is that I am broke as fuck and Brighton is miles away!

DRILL-_Brighton_-_Puritans_1414407852.jpg

I would have loved to be there just for Toy and British Sea power and evrything else is icing on the cake.

Linius

Everything is poor mans Joy Divisions but I disagree on Interpol

Haha, I know we'll never come round on the subject of Interpol :p

Just done with watching the Ought gig at Pitchfork Paris by the way, great stuff again. I love Beautiful Blue Skies, the last song they did. But for some reason it's not on any of their EP's nor the album. Speaking of which, the new EP is great too.

EDIT

Ya, I saw the line-up for that trough DIY on Twitter. A lot of names from the Le Guess Who? line-up too, looks awesome. If you go you need to check out Courtney Barnett in my honors. She played during a world cup game here so I missed her :(

Pacbois

First day of Pitchfork Paris, caught the end of Ought, good sets from How To Dress Well & Mogwai, Notwist and James Blake were so-so, War on Drugs were alright but I don't get the buzz around them.

Tommorow will be fun, Perfect Pussy, Chvrches, St. Vincent & Belle and Sebastian. Good Stuff

overcast

First day of Pitchfork Paris, caught the end of Ought, good sets from How To Dress Well & Mogwai, Notwist and James Blake were so-so, War on Drugs were alright but I don't get the buzz around them.

Tommorow will be fun, Perfect Pussy, Chvrches, St. Vincent & Belle and Sebastian. Good Stuff
Truly jealous. That's awesome.

Linius

That doesn't sound right. Were there sound issues or something? These guys are so damn brilliant on stage. It's almost unfair for other bands to play after these guys. Unless you're not really into their music of course.

But quite jelly you're there, two days filled with great bands. On one hand I'd like to go some time but on the other hand I've seen pretty much everything there already this year. They don't really book exclusive names that you can't see anywhere else. If it was in the country I wouldn't hesitate to go though :p

Pacbois

That doesn't sound right. Were there sound issues or something? These guys are so damn brilliant on stage. It's almost unfair for other bands to play after these guys. Unless you're not really into their music of course.

But quite jelly you're there, two days filled with great bands. On one hand I'd like to go some time but on the other hand I've seen pretty much everything there already this year. They don't really book exclusive names that you can't see anywhere else. If it was in the country I wouldn't hesitate to go though :p

Not a huge fan and the beginning of their set was a bit sluggish, it got better later but yeah, not really impressed. Saturday is also pretty sweet with Caribou, Jamie XX and Four Tet, it's going to be a sweet night of dancing.

It's a good festival but yeah, not worth an expensive trip if you're not already in Paris.

Top Bottom