• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Base building games -- what do you think?

Jac_Solar

What do you guys think of base building type of games? As in, the kind where you play as a single character or a team, and the goal of the game, or at least an important element of the game, is your "base" -- either you start out with a full compound or lot, or you establish one yourself.

Elements such as creating new buildings, upgrading buildings, a stronghold or safe zone where you can store things, fix things, upgrade things, and so forth are important parts of it.

I think the concept is really appealing, and all though I haven't come across a lot of games with these elements, they seem to be making their way into games more and more often.

Ie, I'd really like a game where you either start out with a compound, or outline a compound in an open world (Like a Just Cause 2 type of open world.), and then you venture out into the open world to gather resources to build new buildings, items, or upgrade things, etc. as well as getting more followers and people to help with the building, maintaining of the buildings (Such as farms, or whatever.), protecting the base (Manning "towers", etc.), etc.

Does anyone know of any games like this that exist or are in development?

lt519

This is like the exact opposite of what I want out of a game.

I think the Dark Cloud games were focused on town building in a way.

epmode

The new WoW expansion actually has a huge basebuilding component. Choose and upgrade structures, find people to staff your garrison, etc. I honestly thought that's what prompted this thread in the first place.

Besides that, I really enjoyed the base system in Suikoden and Skies of Arcadia so I guess I'm interested in this stuff!

edit: Some of the Dragon Quest games do it too.

edit edit: And you really need to play the XCOM series. Base building is hooked right into the strategic combat system. Very few games handle it as well.

Malreyn

State of Decay comes to mind (aside from RTS's). There are only so many "fixed" bases to choose from, but you can set up upgrades however you like to each base to make them more defensible to zombie hordes or upgrade them to allow your survivors to deal with less stress/less sickness.

my favorite type of game

whether it's a MMO like Star Wars Galaxies, a JRPG like Suikoden, sort of a simulation game like Final Fantasy My Life As A King, strategy game like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, tactical game like XCOM, FPS like Payday 2, or MP FPS like Savage, or even open world game like Minecraft... action game like Metal Gear Solid 5...

Games are always better for me when you have a base to slowly build up and personalize.

there are some good base building games on ios
there is one that looks a bit like minecraft, you need to survive wave after wave and use money to buy better weapons and materials to upgrade your fort.
You build and then fight in first person mode.

Saucy_XL

Banned
Haven't played it but I think Recettear is close to what you're talking about. You have a shop that you sell stuff/manage and go into dungeons to get new items.

Jac_Solar

there are some good base building games on ios
there is one that looks a bit like minecraft, you need to survive wave after wave and use money to buy better weapons and materials to upgrade your fort.
You build and then fight in first person mode.

Yeah, I've played that, and it's somewhat fun, but the controls and general gameplay isn't very "smooth", if you know what I mean.

I played an early alpha of Starforge, and that was very clunky -- while I assume that has improved by now, I've heard the game isn't all that good?

Other games I've played with some sort of base building, in some degree, are;

Halfway (Well, you don't really build anything, but you do have a base.),
Rebuild series of games (More strategy like, but the main focus is on building and expanding your "base".),
Planet Explorers,
Cubic,
Clockwork Empires,
Lantern Forge,
Project Zomboid,
Maia,
Factorio,
Timber & Stone,
Gnomoria,
Towns,
Isomer,
Pixel Piracy,
Rum Isle,
RPG Tycoon,
Signs of Life,
Starbound,
Towncraft 2,
Unclaimed World,
Rimworld,
Sproggiwood,
Spacebase DF-9,

These types of games are some of my favourite, although there doesn't seem to be too many of them.

Ones i can think of that haven't already been mentioned that have some sort of base building are:

Evil Genius
Startopia
Space Colony
Banished (it's more of a town builder though)
Dungeon Keeper

They might not be quite the sort of thing you're looking for but they involve setting up somewhere (Choosing rooms, buildings, layout etc) and then managing it along with the people there while trying to survive/not fail.

There's also 7 days to die, although i haven't actually played that myself yet it seems to have some base building aspects. War for the overworld is another that is similar to Dungeon Keeper, but i haven't played that yet either.

Empyrion is a game currently on kickstarter that has base building/survival in it.

Top Bottom