• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Untold History of Japanese Video Game Developers", HG101 bookstarter (£50k goal)

@MUWANdo

Banned
If you're holding down a job

Yeah, probably not an issue in this case.

I'm glad he could be convinced to just pay someone else to do it, in any event. I don't know why he didn't just do that to begin with... then again, we're probably better off not knowing why this guy does what he does.

I'm pretty annoyed that John would rather wait to accumulate money for printing and shipping than guarantee future e-book releases. Does this mean he's going to siphon from HG101's Patreon stash which is already being used to edit and print books like the Castlevania primer? That's gotta be what he's doing now that Kickstarter's out of the question. More people are likely to buy the Kindle version than any other because of price and convenience, and plenty of full-color images not in the print version!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I'm pretty annoyed that John would rather wait to accumulate money for printing and shipping than guarantee future e-book releases. Does this mean he's going to siphon from HG101's Patreon stash which is already being used to edit and print books like the Castlevania primer? That's gotta be what he's doing now that Kickstarter's out of the question. More people are likely to buy the Kindle version than any other because of price and convenience, and plenty of full-color images not in the print version!

John makes exactly $0 off the HG101 Patreon. All of the money is used to pay contributors for the articles that are going up on the site, so I can spend the time working on future HG101 books. (He does have one very old article in our posting queue though he elected to supply it pro bono). Similarly, all of the sales for the Untold History book go to him - the only money HG101 makes is from Amazon affiliate links. The projects are entirely separate, I just help him promote it and he in turns helps out with some promo codes for my Patrons.

I don't have access to his sales (beyond what comes through affiliate links, anyway), but I can say that the physical copies of any of the books HG101 has put out (the adventure game book, the Sega back, the Castlevania book) have drastically outsold the digital versions. I think that's why he was reluctant to do a Kindle version at all.

Well, I bought the book with the nicer cover. Looking forward to reading it. I don't know anything about the backstory with the translators he had hired, but it sounds like a nightmare. If it's true that she used the IGDA email list to slander him, that's not cool. And if she did, she most definitely should have been banned from the IGDA.

More people are likely to buy the Kindle version than any other because of price and convenience, and plenty of full-color images not in the print version!

You're assuming everyone owns a kindle. Lost of people don't like ebooks, we prefer the heft and feel of a real book in our hands and on our shelves.

jay

http://theralphretort.com/sjw-media-blackouts-coverage-of-japan-chroniclers-book/

JS thinks the SJW media has blacklisted him and is urging pro-GG people to uncover the truth. Sure, okay.

I just saw this now and am upset. It was annoying enough reading the book and seeing the little comments he throws in, which he apparently thinks make him objective. Stuff like how people now take issue with the feminine form, and asking repeatedly about what the developers think about the Japanese law that may make old hentai games illegal.

Now he has clearly identified himself as a GamerGate guy. I want the info he is reporting on but he seems like a douche bag, which was clear enough from his constant ranting Kickstarter updates, but is now even more evident.

I don't want to buy his next book, but I really want to read the interviews with the Wonder Boy 3 guy and the designer of Golvellius. What's a SJW to do?

John shouldn't claim he's avoided social politicking—his reasons for telling us about this feud during the book's production included reassurance for backers (which could have been handled discreetly and positively) and distracting from the book with personal controversy. The first public update he posted about the Kakus notes that, before he made this post, they were apparently harassing Facebook contacts and spamming the Kickstarter comments section. Whether or not what he says can be verified in the coming months (through (a) neutral source(s)), this post led to the escalation. I'm not sure how much he knew about Hanako's team before deciding to work with them, but I remember 8-4 offering their services to John, which he refused because the Kakus proposed him something greater. Going with 8-4 might have impacted what's in the book today, but the project wouldn't have finished so ungracefully, and less negative attention would have cleared a path for projects in the future. Until we know which side is more accurate, I can't evaluate whether or not John could have suffered longer in order to deliver the end product without indulging this story.

One aftershock of this fiasco is that John probably won't be able to do a second trip. I'm not sure if he would supply contact information so that other journalists (Barnholt would be my preference, or Parish) might conduct interview sessions of their own. Best case scenario is that interviewing Japanese game developers can still be viable for outside funding; an in-person meeting allows for richer communication than via e-mail or phone or AMA. If John invites GamerGate discussion, then he's risking a new murk of intrigue and distraction from the books' contents/focus, which will deter reporting at the least. Hopefully physical edition sales are good enough for him to publish the remaining interviews.

@MUWANdo

Banned
8-4 didn't "offer their services", per se; he enquired about their services and then went elsewhere, and in that post you linked to he tries to suggest that Siliconera was deliberately staying silent about his book because 8-4 was mad that he was doing the project with someone else, which sounds like conceited horseshit to me.

As for whether the turmoil surrounding the book could negatively affect the prospect of future projects, I don't think it'll cause too much damage. Even if you believe or are sympathetic to his claims against his former interpreters, it's obvious that a lot of the problems surrounding the project are localised to him and his own inability to manage a project, his lack of experience, his temperament, etc. There's nothing unique to this project that couldn't be better achieved by someone else, I don't think.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't know if anyone still cares about or is following the goings-on between the author and his former interpreters, but they were given a verdict on their libel case a few days ago.

Short answer: the suit was dismissed on issues of legal jurisdiction--that is, they sued him in France but the French courts decided he wasn't their problem--with no verdict given on whether or not anything he said was libelous.

They have the option of suing him in the UK, but they're not committing to anything right now (mostly because it's expensive and they're low on funds, from the sounds of things) and if they decide not to take it to the UK, that'll pretty much be the end of it, I suppose.

I don't know if anyone still cares about or is following the goings-on between the author and his former interpreters, but they were given a verdict on their libel case a few days ago.

Short answer: the suit was dismissed on issues of legal jurisdiction--that is, they sued him in France but the French courts decided he wasn't their problem--with no verdict given on whether or not anything he said was libelous.

They have the option of suing him in the UK, but they're not committing to anything right now (mostly because it's expensive and they're low on funds, from the sounds of things) and if they decide not to take it to the UK, that'll pretty much be the end of it, I suppose.

Eh? His update made it sound like he won. The way he presents things makes it so I can't take what he says as credible.

He says his lawyer's proclaiming it "a victory", which doesn't necessarily mean the victory Szczepaniak's looking for. And neither party's come out the better so far.

Meanwhile I still get use out of the book and hope the following volumes are of comparable quality.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Eh? His update made it sound like he won. The way he presents things makes it so I can't take what he says as credible.

He "won" in the sense that the case is over and probably won't be restarted in the UK, but he wasn't cleared or found innocent of anything he said or did, as far as I know.

I just saw this now and am upset. It was annoying enough reading the book and seeing the little comments he throws in, which he apparently thinks make him objective. Stuff like how people now take issue with the feminine form, and asking repeatedly about what the developers think about the Japanese law that may make old hentai games illegal.

Now he has clearly identified himself as a GamerGate guy. I want the info he is reporting on but he seems like a douche bag, which was clear enough from his constant ranting Kickstarter updates, but is now even more evident.

I don't want to buy his next book, but I really want to read the interviews with the Wonder Boy 3 guy and the designer of Golvellius. What's a SJW to do?

Saw this thread bumped and figured it was about the KS post he made about his legal "victory," and read back to discover this. Ugh. Now I feel dirty for ever supporting this guy.

I need this book. Japan is love. <3

Also can we please just go back to video games and talking about video games on a video game website in a video game forum in a topic about video game history. All you need is love and enjoy life, life's about not giving a shit and having fun and playing videogames is a major part of that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm still not clear on the original complaints against the guy. What did those sisters claim he did wrong exactly? The actions they've taken make them seem like the bad guys (dragging other unrelated people into it for one thing), to be honest, but I can't really seem to find a clear picture of this whole thing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm still not clear on the original complaints against the guy. What did those sisters claim he did wrong exactly? The actions they've taken make them seem like the bad guys (dragging other unrelated people into it for one thing), to be honest, but I can't really seem to find a clear picture of this whole thing.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/20...d-history-of-japanese-game-developers-part-1/ Here's a multi-part article on the subject. Sounds like there were some difficulties over quality and time constraints, which lead to some quarrel. It's a very in-depth article. It explains everything. It sounds like he didn't get what he paid for.

I have both the softcover and the kindle version. I would definitely buy a book 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/20...d-history-of-japanese-game-developers-part-1/ Here's a multi-part article on the subject. Sounds like there were some difficulties over quality and time constraints, which lead to some quarrel. It's a very in-depth article. It explains everything. It sounds like he didn't get what he paid for.

I have both the softcover and the kindle version. I would definitely buy a book 2.
Really interesting stuff. It sounds like everyone was just frustrated by things going poorly. They all seem to be at fault in different ways and I'm baffled that any sort of legal action was taken. At the very least, I see absolutely no evidence of sexism or anything like that (shame on anyone trying to turn it into that). It simply seems like a disagreement between stressed out people. I'm surprised it blew up like this.

@MUWANdo

Banned

He made a bunch of very "passionate" KS posts accusing then of providing substandard interpreters for specific interviews, of defrauding him by refusing to refund booking he paid for before they parted ways, and of threatening to "destroy" the book, both directly (by offering a NDA, which he saw as an act of intimidation) and indirectly (by emailing the interviewees and asking them to review their interviews before anything was printed, in case the book became subject to legal proceedings.)

They accused him of lying, misrepresenting or fabricating his accusations and claimed that the vast majority of his issues were due to his own ineptitude at project management and social interaction. They also claim that he followed through on private threats to ruin their reputation by directly contacting their associates and employers, or by encouraging his KS backers to harass them or repost his accusations elsewhere, including on the IGDA mailing list, which directly cost them work and ruined their future prospects in the industry.

Since they formally began legal proceedings, he posted more KS updates in the same vein (and refunded people who questioned his attitude), asked his backers to get the interpreters' Twitter account pulled and tried to rally a bunch of GG sites to his aid by telling them the interpreters had conspired with SJWs to bury his book. They've mostly stuck to sniping on Twitter, but they also dumped a ton on of written correspondence they had with him that paints him in an unflattering light.

It seems that a lot of observers were counting on the court case to separate the truth from the mudslinging, but after months and months of delays it turned out to be a total non-event.

Decider

Saw this thread bumped and figured it was about the KS post he made about his legal "victory," and read back to discover this. Ugh. Now I feel dirty for ever supporting this guy.

You were supporting the book and the work required to produce it. It's a good book and there's the promise of even more. That's all that matters.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh damn, just saw the comments against Marty on the last KS update. Did he actually ban/refund you, Marty? Sorry if my comments provoked your question.

Savitar

Crazy, had no idea of the drama going on and had been debating getting the book or not. Still unsure.

Also I found it amazing that Kotaku passed on reviewing saying it was too niche.....I mean.....look at some of the stuff Kotaku has done articles on. It's sorta funny.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wait what? What happened?

John's reply:

Creator John Szczepaniak about 9 hours ago

@Marty - you've been riding my coat-tails since the problems began. You say "just read"? You mean you're still believing the garbage they pump out. I've seen your posts online, and it's clear you decided to support the other side long ago, regardless of the truth. Why don't you take a long holiday and stop irritating me.

I don't have all the details, as I said: I'll give an update next week.

It doesn't matter how you cut it. Of course it&#8217;s a victory for me - how could it be anything else? I was not told to pay them anything because I was NOT found guilty - I never will pay them anything, and the case is over. Their false accusations of libel only existed within the confines of that court case. The case is over, therefore there are no libel accusations. This "matter of libel" you refer to, it does not exist.

I was never guilty of libel. Where is this libel? The few updates I've made have only been to describe events that took place. They have spent every single day libelling me for the past year - how can you not see that?
Get over yourself.

The "why don't you take a long holiday" part made me think he was blocking you or something.

Also, 'riding my coat-tails?" What? Didn't he claim to be an editor at some point?

John's reply:

The "why don't you take a long holiday" part made me think he was blocking you or something.
Wow I had no idea he responded. I don't know, am I banned? He didn't refund me nor did i ever ask for one. I never contacted him about this stuff before so I don't know how he's claiming I've been harassing him. He must be reading this thread. Hi John... It's weird that he said he didn't know the details but claims he was found not guilty. Having a case dismissed isn't a ruling of not guilty. Hi John, I hope you realize there is a difference since I bet you are reading this. For the record I think both parties are right and both are wrong. John's account has never added up to being able to take at face value by the way he lashes out and posts about the topic. I thought I was simply trying to get clarification if the suit was dismissed or not. The first I ever heard of problems was from John and not the sisters.

Latest review on Amazon really beats his book up, lol. I don't agree with most of the review, but it brings up a point worth mentioning: John talks about material he needed to redact in surprising detail. He gives hints for the kinds of discussions between him and interviewers that can't be communicated due to safety risks for either party. I'd rather not know about any of this if that meant wasting space for another interview (like the one with Naosuke Arai his opening KS pitch implicitly promised!).

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
John's reply:

Also, 'riding my coat-tails?" What? Didn't he claim to be an editor at some point?

Wow, no matter which side is right, he's certainly not handling this very well.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wow I had no idea he responded. I don't know, am I banned? He didn't refund me nor did i ever ask for one.

Fair enough, he's done that to other people but it's hard to tell from the outside whether someone has been banned/refunded or not.

Latest review on Amazon really beats his book up, lol. I don't agree with most of the review, but it brings up a point worth mentioning: John talks about material he needed to redact in surprising detail. He gives hints for the kinds of discussions between him and interviewers that can't be communicated due to safety risks for either party. I'd rather not know about any of this if that meant wasting space for another interview (like the one with Naosuke Arai his opening KS pitch implicitly promised!).

I don't think those annotations are robbing space from other interviews but they're definitely on the nose and a better editor would have smoothed them over, rather than dropping a huge [12345 WORDS REDACTED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT] for no reason. I can't tell if he's stroking his ego or it's just an absurdly literal attempt at transparency but it's quite unseemly.

daegan

It's amazing to me that he is blaming "SJW" press of shutting him out when the reason I was even considering it in the first place is because of tweets from journalists that he claims are shutting him out but whateverrrrrrrr.

He and the Kaku sisters truly deserve each other's BS.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Well, since the lawsuit is over (for now, anyway), I feel a little more comfortable giving some of my perspective into all of this.

For starters (and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in this thread), even though it's in the thread title, this is not really an "HG101 book". Through John used to write for my site, and I helped promote it, I have little to do with it beyond being a backer myself and helping with some production issues.

My involvement in this debacle began somewhere in late 2013, when I received a Facebook friend request from Agness, whose name I recognized from the interviews John had done a while prior, which I accepted. At this point, John e-mailed me to let me know about the troubles he ran into with the interpreters. Apparently what Agness was doing was going through his list of contacts and sending them similar requests, then they were going back to John and asking him "Why is the sister of your ex-project coordinator trying to contact me?" This made him really, really nervous since he expected they would probably try to get them to recant their interviews, and even at this point, felt they were trying to sabotage the project. (This ended up being a self fulfilling prophecy, because they did try to do this once John started lambasting them.) This is actually the only way, as far as I know, that Agness is involved, since she didn't do of the interpretation work.

I really didn't think too much about it until a few months later, when John went public with his problems. This prompted the libel suit, of course, but they also set up a website where they specifically named some of the backers, despite having nothing to do with the project. Agness also emailed me, asking that I remain neutral in their fight.

Beyond the fact that this would potentially open me up the libel suit, I thought John going public with this was a pretty bad idea, so I was definitely not going to join in this feud. I instructed John to keep any of his complaints against his interpreters off my servers (which he did), though apparently now Agness keeps complaining (not to me, since I blocked her on Twitter) that I didn't join her in sabotaging the book(s).

Anyway, I also learned that they were digging through the Kickstarter comments and contacting the people through any means necessary (including social networks, like with me) in order to "notify" them about the lawsuit. This makes me really uncomfortable, because while they've tried to rationalize this as being part of the legal process, I find that it amounts to stalking, so at that point I got super creeped out and defriended her.

Obviously things just got worse and worse from there, as John kinda disappeared from the public eye and the two sides continued to lob insults at each other. As a result of these issues, John has since resigned from HG101 (he actually hadn't had much to do with the site since he started up the Kickstarter a few years ago). We're still going to promote the upcoming volumes, since despite how he's poorly he's handled many aspects of this project and all of the negative vibes surrounding, in the end he does put out some really damn good work.

I asked him about this, he wanted to leave it open for future questioning by other interviewers, and felt that it was better to relate that a story couldn't be told, rather than not telling at all. I agree that there were probably better ways to handle this.

LiK

Well, since the lawsuit is over (for now, anyway), I feel a little more comfortable giving some of my perspective into all of this.

For starters (and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it earlier in this thread), even though it's in the thread title, this is not really an "HG101 book". Through John used to write for my site, and I helped promote it, I have little to do with it beyond being a backer myself and helping with some production issues.

My involvement in this debacle began somewhere in late 2013, when I received a Facebook friend request from Agness, whose name I recognized from the interviews John had done a while prior, which I accepted. At this point, John e-mailed me to let me know about the troubles he ran into with the interpreters. Apparently what Agness was doing was going through his list of contacts and sending them similar requests, then they were going back to John and asking him "Why is the sister of your ex-project coordinator trying to contact me?" This made him really, really nervous since he expected they would probably try to get them to recant their interviews, and even at this point, felt they were trying to sabotage the project. (This ended up being a self fulfilling prophecy, because they did try to do this once John started lambasting them.) This is actually the only way, as far as I know, that Agness is involved, since she didn't do of the interpretation work.

I really didn't think too much about it until a few months later, when John went public with his problems. This prompted the libel suit, of course, but they also set up a website where they specifically named some of the backers, despite having nothing to do with the project. Agness also emailed me, asking that I remain neutral in their fight.

Beyond the fact that this would potentially open me up the libel suit, I thought John going public with this was a pretty bad idea, so I was definitely not going to join in this feud. I instructed John to keep any of his complaints against his interpreters off my servers (which he did), though apparently now Agness keeps complaining (not to me, since I blocked her on Twitter) that I didn't join her in sabotaging the book(s).

Anyway, I also learned that they were digging through the Kickstarter comments and contacting the people through any means necessary (including social networks, like with me) in order to "notify" them about the lawsuit. This makes me really uncomfortable, because while they've tried to rationalize this as being part of the legal process, I find that it amounts to stalking, so at that point I got super creeped out and defriended her.

Obviously things just got worse and worse from there, as John kinda disappeared from the public eye and the two sides continued to lob insults at each other. As a result of these issues, John has since resigned from HG101 (he actually hadn't had much to do with the site since he started up the Kickstarter a few years ago). We're still going to promote the upcoming volumes, since despite how he's poorly he's handled many aspects of this project and all of the negative vibes surrounding, in the end he does put out some really damn good work.

I asked him about this, he wanted to leave it open for future questioning by other interviewers, and felt that it was better to relate that a story couldn't be told, rather than not telling at all. I agree that there were probably better ways to handle this.

thank you for clarifying what's been going on. I read some of the updates and was a bit turned off by all of this. Haven't really kept up after the initial few times about it. Sucks to hear about all this shit so publicly and I'm glad the lawsuit is over for now. I hope future updates for future volumes will be more pleasant to read about.

So John posted a new update and it's interesting how he went off on me when the verdict was what I was asking about. He's awfully defensive of the verdict and trying to show that he's right when it doesn't show that at all.

Scavenger

So John posted a new update and it's interesting how he went off on me when the verdict was what I was asking about. He's awfully defensive of the verdict and trying to show that he's right when it doesn't show that at all.
While I tend to side with John he is not exactly doing himself any favors with his responses towards your posts. He has to realize that people are viewing this conflict from an outsider perspective and therefore some people scrutinize whatever information comes out from both sides with some skepticism.

IronRinn

I'm glad I ultimately got the book, but the way he's handled the legal issue has been pretty off-putting, to put it mildly.

I had completely forgotten about this book and this thread almost made me go buy it.

But all this drama, I don't care who is wrong here, he is handling all of this in the worst manner possible and looking like an asshole to the general public, not supporting this. Be the better man, say you are sorry to the people that matter and carry on.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Here we go again, again!

Agness Kaku @AgnessKaku · 18h 18 hours ago
Oh, that puts an interesting wrinkle in things: our French counsel lodged an appeal, and I'm told the French court agreed to consider it.

Agness Kaku @AgnessKaku · 17h 17 hours ago
New info just came in: Kaku vs. Szczepaniak (France) just got resuscitated. The court will review the whole case, not just the jurisdiction.

Agness Kaku @AgnessKaku · 17h 17 hours ago
There will also be a venue move, and we might pursue the perjury charge. &#12414;&#12383;&#12289;&#12472;&#12519;&#12531;&#65309;&#12471;&#12517;&#12481;&#12517;&#12497;&#12491;&#12450;&#12463;&#27663;&#12398;&#25903;&#25345;&#32773;&#12395;&#12424;&#12427;&#20605;&#35388;&#12398;&#20214;&#12434;&#36861;&#27714;&#12377;&#12427;&#12371;&#12392;&#12418;&#36766;&#12373;&#12394;&#12356;&#32771;&#12360;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;

Top Bottom