• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
A game just popped in my mind that isn't out yet, I think. It probably was announced last E3. Maybe free to play. It was/is about hunting/fishing/building/surviving in prehistoric times.

DizzyCrow

This game still hasn't released and IIRC there is some famous dev involved, is PC-only with a gameplay similar to Orcs Must Die but with zombies I think.

Motwera

Banned
Mmmmm, I remember a late 1990s/early-mid 2000s F-zero-type game that unfortunately wasn't working, looked futuristic and shit, I remember it being on PC and was a commercial game indeed

Also, I want to requote my previous request because I do not think people got the right idea for the side-scroller that I was referring to..
I cannot seem to find the name of this game, or even anything about it, but I remember it having a level editor, and I think it had a level that looked similar to Sonic 1's Marble Zone.
It was a 2D platform game and if I can remember it correctly, it was dark themed.

I would be very happy if anybody is able to find it (BTW, it was on Windows)

I don't think it would be Jazz Jackrabbit
I think it was a share/freeware or something, dunno

Mmmmm, I remember a late 1990s/early-mid 2000s F-zero-type game that unfortunately wasn't working, looked futuristic and shit, I remember it being on PC and was a commercial game indeed

Also, I want to requote my previous request because I do not think people got the right idea for the side-scroller that I was referring to..

Do you have a rough time frame maybe? Also try Lode Runner On-Line and Speedy Eggbert.

Ignition365

Neo Member
Sorry for the late response, I was at PAX all weekend.

Neither of those are the game.

It was like that Rogue game in style (The 80's release, but black and white), but it was like the original Zelda in that the whole screen would show just the room you were in and you would walk off the screen to enter the next room.

Game was black and white, pretty sure I had a color monitor because I had a music program that would play the 1812 overture with bars flying around the screen changing color... but I could be wrong about that... I might have only had a black and white monitor... it was a long time ago.

I have a game that I remember playing on my cousins Genesis. If I'm not mistaken though it was actually a Master System game. He had the Master System adapter for the Genesis and I know we used it to play this game. Well anyway, from what I remember, it was a isometric/top down game where you are shooting at bad guys through a town ( I think). Then, not sure if it was random or just the end of the levels, you're all of a sudden shooting at this big monster looking thing and the background turned completely black. those 2 things are all I remember, I don't think we ever made it very far in that game.

I have a game that I remember playing on my cousins Genesis. If I'm not mistaken though it was actually a Master System game. He had the Master System adapter for the Genesis and I know we used it to play this game. Well anyway, from what I remember, it was a isometric/top down game where you are shooting at bad guys through a town ( I think). Then, not sure if it was random or just the end of the levels, you're all of a sudden shooting at this big monster looking thing and the background turned completely black. those 2 things are all I remember, I don't think we ever made it very far in that game.

Sounds like Alien Syndrome

DTJAAAAM

Time Soldiers?

Skeptor

Okay, this one has been driving me mad on and off for the last 20 odd years.

Its a Commodore Amiga game which my brother and I used to play at my uncles house back in the early 90's. You controlled an ugly looking guy with a big nose and the playing field looked very similar to Boulder Dash, but it was a faster game. I'm not sure if there were any falling boulders and I think the only aim you had was to get to the goal asap. Every stage had the same music (Slow, unlike the game) and the only other thing I remember is the loud "ARGHHHH" soundbyte that played when you died. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

mclem

I cannot seem to find the name of this game, or even anything about it, but I remember it having a level editor, and I think it had a level that looked similar to Sonic 1's Marble Zone.
It was a 2D platform game and if I can remember it correctly, it was dark themed.

I would be very happy if anybody is able to find it (BTW, it was on Windows)

In terms of colour scheme, at least, I think Hocus Pocus looks something like Marble Zone.

4giGXNA.gif

The level editor's a separate fan addon, though, not in the core game.

This game just popped into my head for some reason, it's a long shot but I'll give the GAF hive mind a chance.

I think it was a series, with "wizard" in the title.
I played it at school in the 80s, on Apple IIe.
Possibly published by MECC.
The gameplay was about logic puzzles, like having to choose doors to enter based on patterns and symbols above them.

Ring a bell for anyone?

Motwera

Banned

Krujo

Banned
A long time ago I rented a game from Blockbuster for SNES. All I remember about the game was it is a RPG and you can build a dance club. I thought it was Tecmo Secret of The Stars but I can't find any info on it about building towns.

Niahak

A long time ago I rented a game from Blockbuster for SNES. All I remember about the game was it is a RPG and you can build a dance club. I thought it was Tecmo Secret of The Stars but I can't find any info on it about building towns.

If I remember right, Breath of Fire 2 had town building for the fairy town and a dance club sounds like the sort of eccentric thing it did. I think those were some of the only games released in NA that did. Didn't get far enough in Secret of the Stars to say for sure.

Any other details? Turn-based or action combat?

Brofield

Goddammit...there was a game I was thinking of I wanted to ask this thread last night, but now I forgot and it's going to drive me bonkers...

I think it was recent though...unless I made it all up in my head...

Krujo

Banned
It was turn based but that's all I remember. I don't think I liked the game so it must have been bad because I played every jprg that came out for snes and beat them during that time. I just remember building a dance club or maybe just going into a town that had a dance club.

Okay, GAF - time for a challenge.

For ages I've been trying to remember a game I played in Computer class in elementary school. It was a math game where you had to figure out which alien in a giant lineup of aliens (all of which were disguised) was the bad guy or something by solving math problems and finding clues.

I have a nice reward for the first person to help me remember the game!

EDIT: It was Math Blaster! Thanks GAF!

southsidewolf

Neo Member
Can you help me solve this one for a friend GAF?

You basically walk around an abandoned planet, trying to figure out why were the people gone, with some Avatar-like mountains flying in the sky. The artwork includes a Leonardo Da Vinci-like flying ship. Everything has a mechanic vibe to it, she precisely remembers an elevator. Supposedly released somewhere around 2000-2005.

Thanks in advance!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Can you help me solve this one for a friend GAF?

You basically walk around an abandoned planet, trying to figure out why were the people gone, with some Avatar-like mountains flying in the sky. The artwork includes a Leonardo Da Vinci-like flying ship. Everything has a mechanic vibe to it, she precisely remembers an elevator. Supposedly released somewhere around 2000-2005.

Thanks in advance!

Schizm: Mysterious Journey, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghCeCpIdgo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizm:_Mysterious_Journey

Mr Ed

Banned
Ok curveball question. I am not trying to find a game. I am trying to find a MOVIE that featured a game. Here is what i remember:
A bunch of teenagers (girls and boys) in one of the kids room. One boy sits behind a PC, and he has a headset on his head. And he's playing an adventure game which he controls via voice commands. It kinda looked like Maniac Mansion. In the game his character has a gun, and something evil (a professor i thought) grabs him and the kid things its game over. One of the girls sitting next to grabs the mic and yells 'shoot'. The gun fires ans he wins after all. Now in my mind i always thought this was a Matthew Brotherick movie. But after searching, can't find it. Anyone have a guess?

Argonis

So I'm trying to remember two different games from back in the day.

The first is a educational math game. The first level goes into a cave and the main character looks like the lawnmower man from the movies, at least that's how I remember it. Also, it was probably on the commodore 64, I think. I never made it past the first level. Your character would have to jump up and grab plus/minus/square root signs and numbers to solve the equation.

The second game is a casual puzzle game with dragons as the bosses. The puzzle aspect had a constant flow of shape pieces (triangles, squares, rectangles, etc.) that would flow from right to left at the bottom of the screen. If you didn't use up all the pieces in time the game would end. The boss encounters had some kicking music. I found this via KaZaa back in 2003-2004.

rezuth

Anyone remember some weird older game... Isometric view, might have been a DOS game. Essentially I think it was a platformer, you played as an old.. wizard or something that pushed blocks and stuff to solve puzzles. Lots of different rooms you moved between each one being made up of maybe 12x12 isometric blocks. Kinda wizard and knight themed I think maybe?

Edit: Found it! Called Mystic Towers!

i74E8Tu.gif

Wonder if its still good.

Toppot

Anyone remember some weird older game... Isometric view, might have been a DOS game. Essentially I think it was a platformer, you played as an old.. wizard or something that pushed blocks and stuff to solve puzzles. Lots of different rooms you moved between each one being made up of maybe 12x12 isometric blocks. Kinda wizard and knight themed I think maybe?

Sounds like Solstice or Equinox on SNES

2432181-nes-solstice-8%5B1%5D.jpg

EDIT: Nope and late to xD

Fevaweva

I remember reading in Edge (or was it Games TM) about a game on the Wii which was like Monster Hunter but way more arcadey and just as Japanese. I can't remember its name for the life of me.

Niahak

I remember reading in Edge (or was it Games TM) about a game on the Wii which was like Monster Hunter but way more arcadey and just as Japanese. I can't remember its name for the life of me.

Long shot, but could it have been Zangeki no Reginleiv? That had some pretty heavy anticipation in the West but was never localized. Not sure it how Monster Hunter-like it was.
I don't specifically remember any Monster Hunter-likes on the Wii. Any other details?

Ok curveball question. I am not trying to find a game. I am trying to find a MOVIE that featured a game. Here is what i remember:
A bunch of teenagers (girls and boys) in one of the kids room. One boy sits behind a PC, and he has a headset on his head. And he's playing an adventure game which he controls via voice commands. It kinda looked like Maniac Mansion. In the game his character has a gun, and something evil (a professor i thought) grabs him and the kid things its game over. One of the girls sitting next to grabs the mic and yells 'shoot'. The gun fires ans he wins after all. Now in my mind i always thought this was a Matthew Brotherick movie. But after searching, can't find it. Anyone have a guess?

My first guess was Brainscan, but there's actually no game footage at all in that movie, all of the "game" stuff is live action video.

So I'm trying to remember two different games from back in the day.

The first is a educational math game. The first level goes into a cave and the main character looks like the lawnmower man from the movies, at least that's how I remember it. Also, it was probably on the commodore 64, I think. I never made it past the first level. Your character would have to jump up and grab plus/minus/square root signs and numbers to solve the equation.

The second game is a casual puzzle game with dragons as the bosses. The puzzle aspect had a constant flow of shape pieces (triangles, squares, rectangles, etc.) that would flow from right to left at the bottom of the screen. If you didn't use up all the pieces in time the game would end. The boss encounters had some kicking music. I found this via KaZaa back in 2003-2004.

The first one sounds like The Math Busters:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of puzzle game the second one is. How do you use the puzzle pieces, what do you do with them?

tesqui

Some PS1 game with monster truck type cars. It was a demo disc I believe. It was a traditional racer kind of to the likes of excite truck for wii.

I've being trying to remember forever an arcade game I used to play around 85/86, it could be older. I remember it being next to Rygar

It was an up screen scrolling car driving (shooter) perhaps
The car you drive had bull horns on the front of it, but there were no roads, just desert and trucks.
I think at one point you could drive on the back of another truck.

I've being trying to remember forever an arcade game I used to play around 85/86, it could be older. I remember it being next to Rygar

The car you drive had bull horns on the front of it, but there were no roads, just desert and trucks.

Sounds like Spyhunter.

EDIT: no roads you say? Maybe not Spyhunter then.

A lucky break, someone on the Abandonia forums has been searching for the same game and managed to find it. It's a Capcom game called The Speed Rumbler (Rush & Crash in Japan). Turns out the enemy cars have bull horns, and a very interesting thing is that you can enter and exit your car whenever you want.

A lucky break, someone on the Abandonia forums has been searching for the same game and managed to find it. It's a Capcom game called The Speed Rumbler (Rush & Crash in Japan). Turns out the enemy cars have bull horns, and a very interesting thing is that you can enter and exit your car whenever you want.

That's it! YOU LEGEND!

Sorry, my mistake about the horns.

1181242171257.png

Yes I remember now getting out of the car now, I was almost always insta-killed

Eldritch

Neo Member
Aw man I'm taking this opportunity with both hands.

For years I've been searching for this game I played during the mid '90s. I'm talking about a top down shooter in which you controlled a futuristic plane / spaceship type thingy, which you could customize.

This was a Windows 3.1 game iirc and your battlefield was basicly your desktop, which has to be the game's most defining feature.
I have no idea where I got it from, though I recall it being a free or shareware version.

I am curious as to what you guys come up with.

There was this one game that my family & I played when I was a kid on our Mac, where you played as a robot with a weapon kind of like the Star Trek phazer, and you explored this farm where all of the crops had become giant and demonic, and started attacking you. That was the first level, and we only got past there once or twice; on the second level, it was this kind of cartoony sci-fi purple planet with acid pits and stuff. Does anyone know what game it is?

Niahak

Aw man I'm taking this opportunity with both hands.

For years I've been searching for this game I played during the mid '90s. I'm talking about a top down shooter in which you controlled a futuristic plane / spaceship type thingy, which you could customize.

This was a Windows 3.1 game iirc and your battlefield was basicly your desktop, which has to be the game's most defining feature.
I have no idea where I got it from, though I recall it being a free or shareware version.

I am curious as to what you guys come up with.

Sounds like Inner Space. You can still purchase it! They've never discounted it, but I liked to play the shareware version from time to time.

I'm assuming by "your battlefield was basically your desktop", you mean that you collected icons representing files that were on your computer, and folders were the stages in the game. I don't know any other games that did that offhand.

Eldritch

Neo Member
Sounds like Inner Space. You can still purchase it! They've never discounted it, but I liked to play the shareware version from time to time.

I'm assuming by "your battlefield was basically your desktop", you mean that you collected icons representing files that were on your computer, and folders were the stages in the game. I don't know any other games that did that offhand.

Bingo!

Them memories! I *will* play this again.

Much obliged friend.

EDIT and offtopic: Those guys made 'After Dark' as well! Nostalgia overload!

thenexus6

Xbox / PS2 game?
Third person shooter / action

There was a squad of four (I think) people and one was a robot. You got to select one to play as. I remember the first mission you were in a building / skyscraper? I think they were like special forces or something.

I remember the robot / android being silver.

Top Bottom