• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil Revelations 2 Gameplay

JoeFenix

The quality level on display here is so shockingly low that I'm in total disbelief that they would feel it's ok to release this after the reception that RE6 got.

I personally found Revelations to be utterly boring but it atleast looked a million times better than this mess. There is no craftsmanship on display here and I refuse to believe that this is Barry Burton. Just no. He looks like some random boring henchman from some random boring game.

Apparently this team studied TLoU and decided that it would be a brilliant idea to try to emulate that game. Down to the seeing through walls power and the crouching stealth kills. It's so blatant!

And could the shooting feel any more limp? I've been playing the shit out of REmake recently and the regression in both design and artistic quality is depressing. This is embarassing, spin off or not.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
As a long time RE fan this latest effort looks embarassing. Still preordered the season pass though. They can't possibly mess up Raid so much that I regret $25.....CAN THEY?!

being a hardcore RE fan, and a Barry fangirl...I'll pass this one. Microtransations in a non free to play game, Episodic game ( and yes, I know it's going to be on retail too, but if you get the digital one you cant get raid mode...), Nothing-like RE ( nothing like Modern RE either), and TLOU-fication of Barry, awful graphics and animations...thanks, but no thanks.

I didn't like the first revelations either, but I played it. This one is hideous. And I'm sad because I've been waiting so long for being able to play as barry and claire again...I hope RE7 is similar to RE6.

being a hardcore RE fan, and a Barry fangirl...I'll pass this one. Microtransations in a non free to play game, Episodic game ( and yes, I know it's going to be on retail too, but if you get the digital one you cant get raid mode...), Nothing-like RE ( nothing like Modern RE either), and TLOU-fication of Barry, awful graphics and animations...thanks, but no thanks.

I didn't like the first revelations either, but I played it. This one is hideous. And I'm sad because I've been waiting so long for being able to play as barry and claire again...I hope RE7 is similar to RE6.

You get like 5 stages of raid with each digital episode, with 3 difficulties each so don't worry about that.

I didn't see the micro transactions but I wouldn't put it past Capcom, what were they?

You get like 5 stages of raid with each digital episode, with 3 difficulties each so don't worry about that.

I didn't see the micro transactions but I wouldn't put it past Capcom, what were they?

They were just revealed at the Spanish presentation event. You have to pay to continue if they kill you mid-chapter, if not you have to start that chapter again from the start.

http://www.mundogamers.com/noticia-resident-evil-revelations-2-tendra-micropagos.9263.html

Ninjimbo

It looks fine to me. I was expecting something smaller and low-budget anyway. I'm super deep into The Evil Within right now, so the faster movement on here looks a lot more appealing to me right now.

Manu

They were just revealed at the Spanish presentation event. You have to pay to continue if they kill you mid-chapter, if not you have to start that chapter again from the start.

http://www.mundogamers.com/noticia-resident-evil-revelations-2-tendra-micropagos.9263.html

To clarify, it says that if you die between checkpoints you can use "life crystals" to continue from where you died instead of restarting the whole section.

It also says that life crystals can be bought with real money (ugh) OR by playing "challenges", so paying is not really necessary.

Jawmuncher

To clarify, it says that if you die between checkpoints you can use "life crystals" to continue from where you died instead of restarting the whole section.

It also says that life crystals can be bought with real money (ugh) OR by playing "challenges", so paying is not really necessary.

This only applies to raid right?

That is REALLY crappy.

You know, Natalia, we really are The Last of ... wait!

The TLOU influence is pretty obvious, but it totally lacks the charme, the polish and the producion values of the Naughty Dog's game.

DedValve

Banned
This just looks so uninteresting and unappealing. Nevermind the graphics, these gameplay videos look...boring.

Doesn't capture the mood, atmosphere or tension of horror RE games yet tries to keep the slow pacing. Doesn't seem have the bombtastic setpieces of RE4 or fluid controls of RE6 so overall theres a bunch of nothingness.

Shooting mechanics also doesn't look tight.

strafer

This just looks so uninteresting and unappealing. Nevermind the graphics, these gameplay videos look...boring.

Doesn't capture the mood, atmosphere or tension of horror RE games yet tries to keep the slow pacing. Doesn't seem have the bombtastic setpieces of RE4 or fluid controls of RE6 so overall theres a bunch of nothingness.

Shooting mechanics also doesn't look tight.

fluid controls?

yeah no.

KyleCross

"Barry, where's Barry?"

I don't see him anywhere in the videos, just some middle-aged dude.

Seriously, not only does he not look ANYTHING like his previous models but the character model is younger. Barry from 1998 looks much older than the dude in this game that takes place around 2010.

.la1n

As if it wasn't already painfully obvious enough but this seals it: Capcom has no idea what to do with the franchise or why people love the originals.

fluid controls?

yeah no.
They might not have been the most intuitive per se, but the controls definitely let you do a metric shit ton of things. What other games let you slide across the floor, playing a mine as you slide, get up running, detonate the bomb while running, and then drop kick a zombie off the side of a cliff? Not to mention the melee is really fluid once you figure out the rules behind it. Baseball sliding into a zombie's knees to knock them down so you can shotgun them on the floor, then rolling over to snipe the next one in the head is crazy fun, and I can't think of another game that lets me do that.

Too bad the controls were only ever on display in Mercenaries.

jimi_dini

"Barry, where's Barry?"

I don't see him anywhere in the videos, just some middle-aged dude.

Yup.

This thread could have been "New Last Of Us 2 gameplay" or "New generic shooter gameplay" and I would have believed it.

Let's call this dude "Burry". It's definitely not the well known bad-ass Barry from Resident Evil series.

Yeah, eh no.
It seems Wii U dodged a bullet there.

So now we are almost at arcades level. What's missing is "pay to play a few minutes" instead of "pay per death to continue"

Blobbers

-Barry has a Joel look. Seriously, it's too distracting with that backpack.
-Moira has a potty mouth like Ellie, but her lines are jarring as hell.
-Animations are trash (took me right out of Revelations 1, once I got to that section with Chris/what's-her-face and the dogs at the beginning of Chris's part of the campaign because the dogs' movement were so hilariously bad, it was the last straw, my impressions of the game weren't favorable even prior to that part).
-Looks bad graphically.
-(apparently) microtransactions

Don't see myself buying this one and so can you.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
After seeing the Barry footage I think I'm going to enjoy the shit out of this game, it looks very similar to what RER1 did with its gameplay loop.

However I have a sneaking suspicion that reviewers will blow this game up. Incoming 67/100 MC.

Manu

In-game purchases for continues?

FUUUUCK YOOOOU Capcom.

I mean, how brazen can you get?

No. The game has normal continues, the microtransactions are to continue from the point where you died instead of going back to the previous checkpoint.

KyleCross

After seeing the Barry footage I think I'm going to enjoy the shit out of this game, it looks very similar to what RER1 did with its gameplay loop.

However I have a sneaking suspicion that reviewers will blow this game up. Incoming 67/100 MC.

Other than how the characters move I see nothing in the gameplay that reminds me of Rev 1. Rev 1 was solid, this looks like complete trash.

glaurung

No. The game has normal continues, the microtransactions are to continue from the point where you died instead of going back to the previous checkpoint.
It still sounds devious and greedy as fuck.

For all intents and purposes, this is a full-priced title? Not a F2P downloadable?

Seyavesh

E6iGAkT.jpg

MeatyFearlessGoldenretriever.gif

also lmao wow at the life crystals thing
that does not give me any faith whatsoever for dd: online

n!smo

Neo Member
The Last of Evil.

The monsters really look generic as hell. Bad animations and bullet sponge enemies, yeah I´ll wait for <10$ for all episodes. Shouldn´t take long considering better games with a similar theme are coming out in the same timeframe (Dying Light, The Order)

Trickster

How out of touch are Capcom to think that the relatively positive fan reception for revelations 1, meant that adding constant ai partners, RE6 style mini campaigns, linear level design ( based of what I've seen so far ) and f2p stuff, would be the right direction? Like, I can't fucking even begin comprehend the logic they're using.

Fucking just go bankrupt Capcom, so someone can pry the IP from your cold dead hands and do something worthwhile with it.

Top Bottom