• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG 3DS survived Fire , and water

L.O.R.D

i thought i should make a thread about it

Apparently , when the 3DS was actually on fire , his friend found it and drooped water on it
still working

Lgxpzrc.jpg

QcwZP9E.jpg

SYk0pco.jpg

Z9GMRQQ.jpg

mslBnBS.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2uo5rt/my_3ds_was_in_a_fire_last_night_still_works/

can the XL or the new 3DS survive with the same damage ?

Toxi

Banned
Damn. The way it got damaged and still functions is almost as crazy as that Gameboy that survived getting bombed in the gulf war.

melted_nintendo_game_boy_gulf_war.jpg

L.O.R.D

But what caused it to catch fire?

i saw this
I was at a buddy's apartment. The girl he lives with had a candle going in the common area, and that's where we were. Well the candle caught a bag on the same table on fire, and the bag got the DS on fire and the table itself went up in smoke. We went to the gas station and got a phone call when we got there. She said the DS itself was literally on fire and she threw it in the sink. Doused it with water, and gave it to me when we got back.

Nachos

I dunno man, that screen looks fucked.

....oh, wait...
;)
I dunno about that. The original vita screen often suffers its own kind of burns on a regular basis.

On topic: that's really impressive. Disappointed that a lot of models can succumb to much less, but it's good that Nintendium still lives to a certain degree.

Ophelion

Now it just has to survive a hurricane and an earthquake and the ritual can be complete and it will ascend to its rightful place as Handheld Avatar or something.

ChrisD

Oh come on, Smoky. Going out like that? Best hope your account is made of the same material as the 3DS. Nintendium is the only material that can withstand the ban hammer and still work, didn't you know?
Gonna' suck if that was a perm, I liked him.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Kinda reminds me of my samsung flip phone I had. That phone took a brutal beating even me chucking it at walls and the floor, still worked and was and to be put back together in seconds.
I miss that phone

Africanus

I dunno man, that screen looks fucked.

....oh, wait...
;)

And quoth the SmokyDave nevermore!

I had a hearty chuckle at your joke, I hope you aren't permanently banished!

On topic, it didn't hit the major internal parts, so I am not too surprised but still an interesting story.

Whence cometh the flames of disaster though?

meanwhile my 3ds didn't survive a two foot fall

okay the hinge was already busted so yeah...

Meanwhile-meanwhile my XL has survived several full on dunkings from my 1 and 5 year old daughters. These devices are seemingly impervious to water at least.

Haunted

RIP Dave, I thought it was funny.

Nintendo really does make the most durable little things. Glad the Gulf War gameboy was already posted.

fl4RFm0.jpg

See you on the other side Dave
I'd totally shop his avatar in there if it weren't a picture of himself (that's just in poor taste).

jimi_dini

And people say that Nintendo's hardware is shit...

Nintendo's hardware will survive all of you!!!! :p

EDIT: I think this thread is going to be a mass grave.

ohlawd

the problem with Dave's joke (I thought it was funny) is that he made the exact same joke on an older 3DS thread and got banned that time too

so uhhh yeah lapse in judgment

DeadTrees

i thought i should make a thread about it

Apparently , when the 3DS was actually on fire , his friend found it and drooped water on it
still working
It's seen fire, and it's seen rain. Has it seen sunny days that it thought would never end?

Yarbskoo

Dammit Dave.

Anyway, as impressive as it is that the 3DS survived, I'm not sure I'd want to play it in that condition, much like the Gulf War Game Boy.

Sometimes I wish I could actually...you know, have such an experience on my devices so that I have something to talk about. A device just surviving that kind of abuse... Now that's some great hardware.

Then again... My Nintendo 3DS XL is kind of...aged. Scratches, torn paint, missing circle pad...

But, hey, it still runs and controls perfectly. I think I probably wont get a new system until it becomes unusable or a new game comes out that I can't run on it and want to play, whichever comes first.

wish I had pictures of my old 3ds still. I was in a terrible car accident years ago where i lost control of the car, it rolled 3 times and I Was ejected from the windshield. Long story short, i pronounced dead on the scene, yet i somehow came back to life, and removed my own white sheet from my body asking everyone what happened, was rushed to the hospital and taken care of.

Later I found out the car had a small explosion and went up in flames. 90% of the things I had in that car didn't survive. The only things that did were my laptop in which i had to replace the screen (still do, its sitting in the storage room somewhere) and my OG 3DS. The top cover is burnt, bottom was burnt, screen had some scuff marks on it, yet the damn thing still worked. Those things are built the last, the charger wasnt though lol.

eventually over time I decided to retire it (it sits somewhere right in a box stored in my storage room, still able to work) and replaced it with the XL.

rekameohs

Banned
wish I had pictures of my old 3ds still. I was in a terrible car accident years ago where i lost control of the car, it rolled 3 times and I Was ejected from the windshield. Long story short, i pronounced dead on the scene, yet i somehow came back to life, and removed my own white sheet from my body asking everyone what happened, was rushed to the hospital and taken care of.

Later I found out the car had a small explosion and went up in flames. 90% of the things I had in that car didn't survive. The only things that did were my laptop in which i had to replace the screen (still do, its sitting in the storage room somewhere) and my OG 3DS. The top cover is burnt, bottom was burnt, screen had some scuff marks on it, yet the damn thing still worked. Those things are built the last, the charger wasnt though lol.

eventually over time I decided to retire it (it sits somewhere right in a box stored in my storage room, still able to work) and replaced it with the XL.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom