• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The God who Peter Molyneux forgot - Curiosity winner Bryan Henderson

This is probably my favorite game related cartoon ever.

peter-molyneux-lies-comic.gif

I hope the Kickstarter backers sue him into oblivion.

I wish too.

Molyneux should have a PR guy who just says, "Shut the fuck up, Pete. Just shut your fucking mouth before it writes a check the team can't cash." He builds a promise bubble and it always bursts because he can't fucking shut his mouth.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I wish too.

Molyneux should have a PR guy who just says, "Shut the fuck up, Pete. Just shut your fucking mouth before it writes a check the team can't cash." He builds a promise bubble and it always bursts because he can't fucking shut his mouth.

I think It should be the other way around, Molyneux should be the PR for projects with better baseline ideas and someone else incharge for the execution of these projects.

Because I still think (from what I can see from my limited perspective) that Molyneux has shortcomings to bridge ideas with executing, if someone else is already incharge of execution then I think Molyneux will do a great job at what he does; Capturing the audience about an idea, even thou he has not executed_and_delivered his claims for some time now.

Meciu

Can someone please explain to me why the hell this guy isn't sued yet? This whole story seems crazy! If I was this guy I would demand some ANSWERS pronto.

Can someone please explain to me why the hell this guy isn't sued yet? This whole story seems crazy! If I was this guy I would demand some ANSWERS pronto.

The article says the guy signed a contract. It says in the article that the wording was such that there was no timescale for receiving any payment. He couldn't sue.

Axass

I don't have a ounce of respect left for the man, I hope someday he gets sued into nothingness. I could care less if he helped making Populous and Dungeon Keeper, it's been 20 freaking years: creating some good stuff doesn't mean you can spend the following 20 years being a living bag of lies.

Maledict

I think It should be the other way around, Molyneux should be the PR for projects with better baseline ideas and someone else incharge for the execution of these projects.

Because I still think (from what I can see from my limited perspective) that Molyneux has shortcomings to bridge ideas with executing, if someone else is already incharge of execution then I think Molyneux will do a great job at what he does; Capturing the audience about an idea, even thou he has not executed_and_delivered his claims for some time now.

It goes well beyond an overactive imagination and enthusiasm. Watch the Milo video linked earlier, and then Peters defense of why it was never released. He lies. He's not struggling with achieving some grand vision, he flat out lies.

The entire thing was a lie. The guy started his career by lying, built a career on lying, and now is getting caught out thanks to the Internet.

I think what people forget is that he *always* did this. After Populous, Bullfrog released Powermonger, a game I utterly adored but one that was full of the typical Molnyeux hype and fabrications - villagers would have relationships with each other, would care about your actions, the enemy AI would learn from you, etc etc. None of it true. That was the first time I saw him do his classic lie and pivot tale, where he then slammed Powermonger after release and promised the next big thing would learn from its mistakes. Dungeon Keeper was another example - whilst it's fondly remember as a great game, it was *nothing* like it had been advertised and talked up by Molnyeux beforehand. He promised a reverse Dungeon Master, where you carefully designed traps and tricks like old school dungeon crawlers. With (as always) AI that learnt your traps and worked together. The end game was fantastic fun, but didn't get anywhere near achieving that.

The only thing that has changed about him is that he used to have amazing team at Bullfrog who were capable of salvaging fantastic games from the pot pouri of his lies and fabrications. Now his lies have grown bigger, expectations larger and the teams around him smaller and less capable. I would bet vast amounts of money that it wasn't him behind those earlier Classic games, it was the teams at Bullfrog that made it happen whilst he fronted it.

Peter Molyneux is a lying con-artist, and now a thief as well.

SteveWD40

This saddens me.

I grew up playing Bullfrog games, I idolized the man when I was 16, the story of how he blagged his way into being an Amiga developer seemed cool at the time, when his content was good. He had big ideas and seemed to be able to execute.

Fable happened, ok, went a bit OTT there but the game was still good.

Over the years, I grew to ignore almost everything he said but I still felt he got too much hate, he was just over enthusiastic!

Now that view is replaced with "he is a fucking con-man".

Moving to the mobile / crowd funding space is just an easier way for him to fuck people over for cash without any comebacks. Anyone backing anything he does from here on in is an idiot, I hope he has to come begging back to KS soon so people can tell him to fuck off.

He has become the new Tim Langdell at this point.

Edit:

I would bet vast amounts of money that it wasn't him behind those earlier Classic games, it was the teams at Bullfrog that made it happen whilst he fronted it.

There is truth to this, in an EDGE interview in the late 90's with Bullfrog they spoke to his team, who seemed to be the ones actually conceiving ideas like Syndicate etc...

LeonSPBR

I really think this is the worst thing Peter has done, and that's really saying something. He didn't just disappoint all the people who played that stupid cube game, but he has now personally screwed over one individual, in public, with the broken promise of changing his life. What an unbelievably shitty thing to do.

This. He failing to deliver on his promises of having the guy to be a god on a game and said that he would have a share on the profits of said game is disgusting.

How is this guy continuing doing games after all this lies(Fable 1, 2 and 3, the cube game and now Godus)????

SamVT

I wish too.

That used to be me. Problem is he never listens to advice and instead will bully and insult you into oblivion if you dare to disagree with him.

That used to be me. Problem is he never listens to advice and instead will bully and insult you into oblivion if you dare to disagree with him.

Wow, he sounds like a total douche bag (which isn't surprising really). And you're the Sam from all the posts with "I talked to someone at 22cans named Sam..."?

Jackpot

Banned

Weren't you writing a book on him? If he was a bully in the workplace you should blow the whistle on him. Kotaku allows anonymous sources.

Met the guy in person a while ago.

He played my game on a show floor.

Said he really liked the game and that he wanted to "put it into Fable 3".

Got his businesscard.

Sent a couple of emails.

Never received a single reply.

Tried calling his phone.

Never answered a call.

Reminds me of when I once dealt with TV execs (3 different channels). Their first instinct was to lie. Constantly. Blatantly. Even when the truth would do. And it wouldn't just be any lie but the most overblown, ridiculously OTT thing ever.

samn

Please write a blog post or even a Kindle Single about this guy, I would pay to read it.

Met the guy in person a while ago.

He played my game on a show floor.

Said he really liked the game and that he wanted to "put it into Fable 3".

Got his businesscard.

Sent a couple of emails.

Never received a single reply.

Tried calling his phone.

Never answered a call.
What game was it?

samn

Some insight from a man who had dinner at his house.

http://jamsponge.tumblr.com/post/13202299881/dinner-with-peter-molyneux

Having moved through to the dining area, Peter suddenly realises that he hasn’t poured us a drink. Enraptured by his description of what he’d be serving for dinner, we honestly hadn’t noticed the slip-up – but he’s deeply apologetic nonetheless, and offers to whip up anything we can possibly imagine. We don’t want to make a fuss, but he’s quite insistent on making us something special. “Have you ever had a Martini that made you feel something… truly unique?” He inquires, leaning across the table with a degree of intensity we weren’t expecting. We explain that we once had one that was served with a bit of bacon instead of olives, but he shakes his head knowingly and beams an enchanting smile of simplicity. “I want to make you a Martini that will make you feel something new. Something you’ve never experienced before. /Anywhere/.”

Just a heads up, @LaurakBuzz interviewed Peter today and says that the last 10 minutes of the interview were really interesting and made him come out much better that she thought he would. She hasnt written anything up yet as she only just finished but should be interesting to check out.

No, he happened to be a part of the studio who made these games, TWENTY YEARS AGO.
Since he left bullfrog he hasn't accomplished anything.

It blows my mind that people keep defending this scam artist.

I'm not defending him, I'm defending why gamers and the industry put up with this crap for so long. He had a crap ton of good will built up..

Jito

Banned
Just a heads up, @LaurakBuzz interviewed Peter today and says that the last 10 minutes of the interview were really interesting and made him come out much better that she thought he would. She hasnt written anything up yet as she only just finished but should be interesting to check out.

Is he going to bring out the fake tears again? How many more "journalists" are going to fall for that shit? Of course he's going to be sorry, apologise and kiss a lot of ass, then next week you'll hear nothing of it. We probably won't hear anything from him til his next "life changing project" is announced.

SteveWD40

He seems to have the ability to smugly slime his way out of anything, with just enough soul searching "honesty" to make it look real.

Unless the kid is getting a big fucking cheque it's nothing but bullshit.

It'll have to be something groundbreaking, something earth shattering for me accept this event. And just like I doubt the potency of his games, I doubt him relaying anything that could explain why he's constantly overpromised and underdelievered to such extreme ends.

Edit: The tweets do nothing for me. Like, let her write that shit and get it out, but I have a feeling it'll be the usual journalistic asskissing they give him.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

But wait, according to Peter, he was bullied himself and everyone complaining are a bunch of insensitive asses who are just big bullies and they are making him feel bad

"So I prefer invest to play. But I feel now I am universally hated by the gaming people… I was bullied at school. Badly bullied at school. And I feel some of that emotion bubbling up inside me again now."

Poor Peter!

The whole article should be read. His explanation of why his strong anti-Free2Play statements don't apply to Godus' Free2Play system is astounding:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Godus/feature.asp?c=61069

Really worried we're getting a sob story that supposedly explains why his grand vision wasn't realised. Yet again.

He lies. All the time. Obsessively. That's his MO.

I hope whatever he claims is fact-checked and sourced with a third party before we get yet another vanity piece written by a starstruck reporter to throw on the pile.

Sounds to me like they will introduce multi-player and it will be set up so that the God of Gods role is transferrable through play. Then somebody with more time or luck on their hands will take the title from poor Bryan, as the kid won't be able to play enough to keep hold of it. And his reward will be 1% of whatever revenue Godus brings in on that particular day. I do hope I'm wrong...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sounds to me like they will introduce multi-player and it will be set up so that the God of Gods role is transferrable through play. Then somebody with more time or luck on their hands will take the title from poor Bryan, as the kid won't be able to play enough to keep hold of it. And his reward will be 1% of whatever revenue Godus brings in on that particular day. I do hope I'm wrong...

That sounds like exactly what Peter was describing.

And also, I'm sure that the "player" who usurps Bryan will turn out to be an intern at 22cans.

But wait, according to Peter, he was bullied himself and everyone complaining are a bunch of insensitive asses who are just big bullies and they are making him feel bad

"So I prefer invest to play. But I feel now I am universally hated by the gaming people… I was bullied at school. Badly bullied at school. And I feel some of that emotion bubbling up inside me again now."

Poor Peter!

The whole article should be read. His explanation of why his strong anti-Free2Play statements don't apply to Godus' Free2Play system is astounding:

This right here
Designers in this industry have to own free to play and have to love free to play and have to define free to play and not run away from free to play.

So I think our community got very upset about that. They also got upset about one of the game mechanics in Godus, and that was the wait timers. And what I as a designer was trying to do, especially on the PC version, with wait timers was trying to get you the player to focus on more than one thing. And that's why I did wait timers and why they've always been in the PC version.
And you guys thought microtransactions in MKX was bad?

Wait timers. In a PC game.
Devs must embrace and love F2P

EjOiVKT.jpg

Alienous

I think that was the 'life-changing' element.

"How much of your life are you willing to give to this game, to maintain your position as God, in return earning revenue from the profits of the title?"

It's nice conceptually, but it was all Molyneux gas.

Z3M0G

With all this 22can / Godus talk yesterday, I actually downloaded the phone game to check it out... getting it to work was shaky, and the tutorial bugged forcing me to quit and resume, but in the early stages after that, it is actually enjoyable so far. Manipulating the landscape is pretty satisfying and well conceived.

I'm sure things will take a major down turn at some point if I keep going though... micro-transaction hell will show its ugly head eventually. But so far there is no sign of it, and I appreciate that! Most F2P games on mobile teach you how to spend their precious gems first and foremost.

Alienous

Poor Peter!

Molyneux should never be able to use the word 'accruing' again.

We'll for an 18 year old kid who was sitting at home and wondering what to do next, to featuring in a Wired magazine, on the BBC, in his local newspaper, and accuring thousands of pounds in his bank account, and controlling the moral direction of an entire game, that sounds pretty life changing to me.

Ugh. This interview is more than 6 months old, I'm really intrigued as to how he justifies his nonsense now.

It's not uncommon in pieces than focus on a single person. You know, trying to paint him as a normal human being just like the rest of us.

No it's not but that doesn't automatically exclude this from being over-written, as fascinating as it is to have the author ponder out loud how long Brian's bus journey was.

He lies. All the time. Obsessively. That's his MO.

I hope whatever he claims is fact-checked and sourced with a third party before we get yet another vanity piece written by a starstruck reporter to throw on the pile.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Nordicus

Apparently the "God of Gods" rules for 6 months automatically, at least the first one. At the end points are tallied up and new one is chosen or something.

Jackpot

Banned
It'll have to be something groundbreaking, something earth shattering for me accept this event. And just like I doubt the potency of his games, I doubt him relaying anything that could explain why he's constantly overpromised and underdelievered to such extreme ends.

why wait?

“I can’t blame people for not believing,” Molyneux responded, when it was suggested that his history of over-promising and under-delivering might hurt prospects for The Trial. Especially in light of the very negative reaction to Godus’s server move – something the creator tells us was “a disaster”.

“I know I’ve said things,” Molyneux continued. “I wish I could not say them, I guess. I just… I still believe so much.”

The developer, unquestionably exhausted after a very difficult two weeks with Godus, was clearly in an introspective and moving mood when we spoke to him.

"But you’re right. I can’t blame people for not believing. I am going to put everything, every ounce of energy, every piece of myself, every statement I made into this game, because this… Dungeon Keeper created me. I didn’t create Dungeon Keeper.

[That statement was followed by a long silence. And then Molyneux cried.]

"I know I’ve said things… I wish I could not say them, I guess. I just… I still believe so much. I swore that when we started Godus that we wouldn’t over-promise, and I guess through stupid mistakes we have. I have to live by those."

Moved?
if you are, you've been duped. These are quotes about Curiosity during the launch of Godus's kickstarter with the game names replaced

JTGreat

Oh man, this is crazy. I saw you posting some pretty down stuff on twitter about the game but never expected this!

Top Bottom