• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qt3's Tom Chick has cancer.

Terrible news, he seems like a great and smart guy. Always enjoy listening to his movie podcasts and reading his videogame reviews. Hope he pulls through.

E-phonk

Banned
I've been on QT3 since 2005, not that active but enjoy it mostly around E3 nowadays. I like that Tom has his own way of reviewing games, and I hope he can keep doing it for years to come. All the best for him, IDDQD

Denton

I hate cancer so much. I used to be active for years on qt3, this is just terrible. I hope he kicks that fucking thing in the balls.

I don't know who he is but Stage Four... Wow.

I'll have to check out his work and I wish him the absolute best and I hope he kicks it.

Fuck Cancer, man. I lost so many family members to it. I can't wait for the day we can say we beat it.

Corto

Isn't stage 4 the state where even if you remove it, there are chances for it to grew back elsewhere?

Stage 4 means that the tumor cells have spread though the blood stream or lymph from the primary location to other distant locations/organs. A primary mammary tumor will often metastasize to lungs or bones for example. So the primary lesion needs to be treated as well as the secondary lesion on distant organs affected.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He is one of the only people who appreciated The Library in Halo 1. He is ok in my book.

Hope he beats the dragon.

Acorn

Terrible news, I appreciate and enjoy reading his reviews even if I disagree 90% of the time. Hoping for best for Tom and his family.

R1CHO

I just listened about this on the last three moves ahead.

What a bummer, I like the guy a lot and his podcast, wish you the best Tom.

For what it's worth, Tom Chick claims his doctor told him he has an 80% chance of being cured. This is from this podcast. It might not be a death sentence.

I hate to be a debby downer but I had some experience with doctors telling your survivability rates, cure chances, and knowing whether or not something is accurate and bullshit at the same time. I hope Tom Chick never reads this post. He should fill his life with optimism because that will help him prove his doctors prediction.

When you say cured, for cancer that means you live 5 years after first diagnosed without it return once treatment is completed. No throat cancer at ANY stage has a cure rate of 80%.(except for a brief window for pulps on vocal cords which is 90%.) At stage four the highest is 44% and goes down to the sub 20%. I think the doctor is quoting 2 year treatability rates which do go to 80% on average for stage 4 but I think it isn't fair to call them cures.

I had somehow missed this as i didn't see it mentioned on the front page and didn't listen to the podcast.

I hope Tom gets better, I love his work and he always comes across as a great guy.

Flynn

Shittiest news ever, but considering the climate lately two pages of support here gave me the chills. You are some good people.

Sirim

Every time I hear that someone has cancer, it hits me so hard it feels like I was just told the world was ending.

FUCK

CANCER

Hoping for the best. Definitely donating.

Top Bottom