• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qt3's Tom Chick has cancer.

Saw on Twitter. Tom Chick, the founder of Quarter to Three has a stage 4 cancer.

From his Go Fund Me page: https://www.gofundme.com/excvko/

Tom Chick, curator of the well-known [notorious? haha] Quarter to Three forums and games & movies news and reviews web site has cancer. While this totally sucks, we know Tom's going to kick cancer right in the balls and be back podcasting on Quarter to Three soon.
That said, he's going to be out of commission for a while taking care of a rare, stage 4 cancer. I'm asking the industry to take a minute to donate so he can have a little something extra to rely on if and when he needs anything. Thanks!

Truthfully I disagree with that dude quite often, but he puts his thoughts together well. Best wishes to him.

TomShoe

Banned
Stage 4, oh god.

That really sucks, I loved him in Tom vs. Bruce. When they played The Sims Online & The Political Machine, those were gold.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh damn, I'll have to reach out. Spent lots of time hanging out with the guy at his Shoot Club gatherings years ago. A very upstanding individual and a great voice for the hobby. Will donate.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This is horrible.

He's also probably my favourite commenter about video games. Lots of people seem to get annoyed with him for his written work (unjustly), but he's especially great when talking about games on podcasts. Check the recent Three Moves Ahead about Rise of Nations for an example of his insightful commentary.

Always an honesty reviewer, I think. Sure, I don't agree with everything he says, but that's inevitable and healthy because individuals as a whole will never feel the same way about everything. Get better, Tom. You write well.

AkuMifune

Banned
I've said some disrespectful shit to him over the years, but it was always over this stupid hobby we share.

Best of luck dude. Looking forward to your recovery so I can be a twot to you again.

Hope he can beat this. Always enjoyed Quarter to Three back in the day.

Quarter To Three made me cry from laughter, so good. My favourite might have been the Giants: Citizen Kabuto one, or the SWAT one where 'Trevor" thought he was teleporting but was actually just suiciding.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tom Chick is seriously as close to an Ebert that the gaming industry has right now.

He's been reviewing games since the ancient days of Computer Gaming World, and he definitely has no problem stating his exact opinion no matter how decisive.

Personally, I've loved the guy's reviews for decades.

Get well, Tom.

Krejlooc

Banned
I really don't know who this person is, but I hate hearing that anybody has stage 4 cancer. Best of luck to this person, my heart goes out to him.

MRMagoo

Neo Member
Ban cancer I say, If I could kick cancer right in the love spuds and kill it I would the same as pretty much anyone else, the faster we get a cure the better.

Delixe

Neo Member
It's depressing how younger people are getting cancer, or I guess it's more accurate to say we are diagnosing the illness earlier than before. When I was having my latest dose of chemo even the nurses there were remarking at how every year patients are getting younger and younger.

That said, the younger you are the stronger the treatment you can withstand and the better the chance of beating cancer you have. Hopefully Tom will pull through it.

daegan

The man wrote the most truthful Skyrim review on the planet, so what the hell, I'll throw in. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Terrible news. Best of luck to Tom. His writing may ruffle a few feathers but that goes in hand with the work of any worthwhile critic.

I had a lump pop up a few weeks ago, while it's probably nothing, I should really stop being a dumbass and get it checked out.

Terrible news, I love toms writing (and podcasts). He always has well considered and honest opinions and pays 0% attention to what anyone else thinks and what the popular viewpoint is on any issue.

way more

I think of him as the Christopher Hitchens of video games. I find him wrong more often than right but you have to read him for his fine writing.

Top Bottom