• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qt3's Tom Chick has cancer.

I don't know who the hell this person is, but reading the beginning of this thread then hearing he is doing better just put me in such a good mood. I wish him the speediest recovery!!!

Aselith

He seems to be doing very well considering. The first few podcasts he sounded very rough and usually as the podcast goes on your can hear him getting a little more strained but it's good to hear him again.

Hey tom, if you're reading this - I just want to say - keep being positive. What happens will happen in the end but try to appreciate life to the best of your ability. We are all here temporarily and will all meet our end in various ways. I pray that you are around for a long time and are able to do all the good things you want to do without the illness getting in the way too much.

Dicktatorship

Yep. He's doing better now.

I recommend listening to this podcast if you want to hear Tom's experience over the past year.

That's awesome! I hope we'll have his unique perspective of
why that game you love is shit
for many years to come.

gu52YA5.png

Two years later and it's still the worst burn I've see regarding that game. We need people like Tom Chick.

Saw the thread, heard the news for the first time, realized it was an old thread, and got real worried about why it was bumped.

So glad to hear he's doing better!

Ambient80

Not sure who he is, but I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy. Hope he makes a speedy, full recovery.

Edit: lol, old thread bump. Apparently he is doing better now? Excellent.

glad to hear he's doing better. his Killzone 2 review (which is now missing from the internet?) was one of the funniest and most memorable game reviews I've ever read.

that it also melted the brains of half the internet was just icing.

e: archive's got my back

Sober

Just proof positive a good percentage of gamers just like to get their own opinions validated instead. Tom Chick always has something meaningful to say. I don't think he really goes against the grain to prove anything else except his own opinion on something. Why should I care if he hated Deus Ex? I enjoyed it, doesn't mean his not enjoying it sours my experience or anything.

It really is great hearing all these stories about people beating cancer in the games media/industry. It's certainly not everyone but I feel like I've heard this story several times in the last few years and always glad to hear things have worked out.

And I do enjoy his writing and opinions, its good to see someone looking to be critical.

Fuck Cancer (and Kudos to the AGDQ dudes), but..

How the fuck do you miss a cancer until it hits stage fucking 4?

No health care so irregular checkups, plus a rare form of cancer that doctor's are less likely to quickly diagnose, plus symptoms that don't show up until it's in a late stage.

He's doing better now though, which is great.

Dicktatorship

glad to hear he's doing better. his Killzone 2 review (which is now missing from the internet?) was one of the funniest and most memorable game reviews I've ever read.

that it also melted the brains of half the internet was just icing.

e: archive's got my back

This is priceless. I'm creating a new critic folder just for Tom to save this and his other reviews I love.

QaaQer

Yeah, his halo 4 review comment section was epic. He gave it a 1/5, iirc. And before people start complaining, his rating scale goes from 1 - I did not like it at all to 5 - I really really liked it. He is not pretending to judge anything else except how much he enjoyed the game.

Also, his movie podcasts are great to listen to as well. Someone said he is gamings roger ebert, and i agree. great guy.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, stages of one cancer can't be compared to another. Stage 4 testicular cancer has a much better survival rate than Stage 1 lung cancer for example.

Top Bottom