• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2015 | Beware the IAPs of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anilones

So is The Trace the next best thing to scratch that Room itch?
I've completed the game and it certainly has a large 'The Room' influence, and pulls it off extremely well. Is it as good as The Room? Possibly not, but I still would recommend the game to fill the void. I'll be very interested in how The Trace 2 looks, with an expanded story it could be brilliant.

It is quite short, but so was The Room and it's sequel so I don't see it as being too much of an issue.

diego

Neo Member
I get a nice Nightmare Cooperative vibe, must be the graphics.
NC is still one of my fav roguelike.

I like that game a lot too! In fact I'm currently #2 in the leaderboards.

There's a spell in Arcane Tower that is kind of inspired by Nightmare Coop's mechanics.

What is GAF's opinion on Dungeon Hunter 5?
Did you like dungeon hunter 4? Cause it's basically the same in terms of controls and IAPs system from the 10 minutes I played of it. I personally didn't care for it because I don't really like the series's freemium model but you mileage may vary.

JCho133

Anyone played Space Bounties Inc.? Actually utilizes the Oryx sprites very well and looks to be a great Sci-fi TBS RPG. Would love to hear so GAF impressions before diving in though

jwSaHmW.png

Anyone played Space Bounties Inc.? Actually utilizes the Oryx sprites very well and looks to be a great Sci-fi TBS RPG. Would love to hear so GAF impressions before diving in though

jwSaHmW.png
Saving patiently for Sorcery next month so I haven't bought anything recently. I hadn't seen that game, looks pretty good. On my wishlist now. I'll see if there are any reviews yet

awp69

jwSaHmW.png

Looks really similar to Alien Star Menace, which also came out this week and is completely free (no ads or IAPs). ASM is a fun TBS but fairly basic on the RPG side from what I've played so far. Space Bounties is probably a lot deeper.

Still, I'd recommend checking out Alien Star Menace for free.

JCho133

Looks really similar to Alien Star Menace, which also came out this week and is completely free (no ads or IAPs). ASM is a fun TBS but fairly basic on the RPG side from what I've played so far. Space Bounties is probably a lot deeper.

Still, I'd recommend checking out Alien Star Menace for free.

Have that downloaded, haven't played it yet though. Been busy with Heroes & Castles 2 and The Blocks Cometh update

awp69

Have that downloaded, haven't played it yet though. Been busy with Heroes & Castles 2 and The Blocks Cometh update

Heroes & Castes 2....bastard. ;)

Oh, and I think I misspoke. There are very occasional, skippable video ads in Alien Star Menace.

JCho133

Anyone here played Game Stew's latest, "Dungeon of Madness," from the makers of Tower of Fortune? Looks pretty flippin fantastic if you ask me.

ClVLo9F.png

Silentium

Anyone else been playing Fast & Furious Legacy? Not normally one for F2P games, but it's surprisingly good. Has the standard 5 turns at a time before a timer kicks in (oil being the unit of measurement here), but people in your driving club can reset your timer instantly, for free (for both parties) - so not a bad team play incentivisation.

awp69

Anyone else been playing Fast & Furious Legacy? Not normally one for F2P games, but it's surprisingly good. Has the standard 5 turns at a time before a timer kicks in (oil being the unit of measurement here), but people in your driving club can reset your timer instantly, for free (for both parties) - so not a bad team play incentivisation.

I tried it just for kicks. It's OK. The F2P aspects don't seem bad. But I would have loved to see a full fledged racing game out of the franchise. Just don't get into "racing" games where all you do is change lanes or shift gears at the right time.

If they did something like Asphalt 8 with a Fast & Furious theme, now that's something I could get into.

Cube Koala is out tonight. Downloaded it from the NZ store and it's really good so far. Rotate the world to manuever your cube koala through hazardous levels. A precision...rotator? Challenging, tight controls, and a nice amount of levels. Free with IAP to remove ads and unlock the rest of the game, although you also unlock the other chapters by playing and earning stars

Rufuscrim

Neo Member
Developer here! Pie in the Sky's been getting some attention over on TouchArcade so I wanted to mention it here on GAF, and make myself available here as I have been there to answer questions. It's a game about delivering pizzas, in space, circa the mid-80s. :)

hxQOTFR.png
HIYwzUC.png
d3SdEIX.png

And here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMUCF-fBjJU
Welcome to GAF!

Oh wow, this looks great. Love the soundtrack and visuals. Game looks fun too. Were you inspired by the novel Snow Crash?

Noticed the IAP label on the App Store. What kind is in the game?

Also is the game endless or are there stages?

Rufuscrim

Neo Member
Welcome to GAF!

Oh wow, this looks great. Love the soundtrack and visuals. Game looks fun too. Were you inspired by the novel Snow Crash?

Thank you! I was inspired by a lot of sources including Snow Crash. I wanted the game to be set in the future that the 80s - early 90s imagined would come to pass: lots of neon, fast cars, and lasers with a dash of general Blade Runner-esque oppressiveness.

Noticed the IAP label on the App Store. What kind is in the game?

Strictly optional and unobtrusive, as the TA posts can attest. More of a 'tip jar' really. Two of the three are more or less cosmetic (the bonus pizza toppings do give stat boosts, but these are comparable to the ones earned through normal gameplay.) The third is a standard 'coin doubler' for the lucky few with more money than patience, although the game has been balanced 100% around not needing that item to get upgrades at a healthy pace. I hate in-your-face IAP so I made sure to tuck ours under a single menu option; no nagging or upsells elsewhere in the game.

Also is the game endless or are there stages?

It is endless but contains 4 "sectors" worth of difficulty (with more lucrative tips to be earned, of course.) Players can earn warp passes that allow them to start runs from as far as Sector 3 once their skill has outpaced the difficulty of the earlier sectors.

Ninja Dom

I did my first video capture today. Playing a game on my iPhone 6 and using my Mac and QuickTime software to capture the video. 😎

The game I did was the first level of ESPGaluda II. High Quality 60fps capture. It takes around 2 minutes to do the first level and the capture came in at half a Gig in size. 😳
Far too big for me to be able to upload to YouTube with my standard speed broadband.

BUT video capture of iOS games is so sweet and simple - providing you've got a Mac running Yosemite.

PittaGAF

I did my first video capture today. Playing a game on my iPhone 6 and using my Mac and QuickTime software to capture the video. 😎

The game I did was the first level of ESPGaluda II. High Quality 60fps capture. It takes around 2 minutes to do the first level and the capture came in at half a Gig in size. 😳
Far too big for me to be able to upload to YouTube with my standard speed broadband.

BUT video capture of iOS games is so sweet and simple - providing you've got a Mac running Yosemite.

Tried the same thing the other using my wife's macbook - the Oddworld capture I did impressed me quite a bit both in ease and quality.

How do you do it?

colinp

Banned
I encourage everyone to check out Magic Rampage, a once Android exclusive that just made its way to iOS. Really fun hack n' slash platformer. It's F2P but only has one currency which can be earned in-game so buying an IAP is just to speed things up for any equipment you want sooner (or more appropriately, a way to support the Dev.)

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=952423968&mt=8

Link doesn't seem to be working on my phone and I can't find it with a search.

The Quest Keeper is out now. dungeon crawler/crossy road:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-quest-keeper/id970721313?mt=8

Free with IAP
Okay, this better take off like Crossy Road did, because it is awesome. One of those games where you can see the polish that went into it after 5 minutes. 10 quests each with a different gameplay focus (reflexes, enemies, traps, etc.), nice visuals, simple controls, a ton of stuff to unlock and equip

Check this one, it's well worth the download.

JCho133

TouchTone for Game of the Year.

No way you can pass it up. One of the most wholly unique experiences for a while.

The puzzles are devious, unique, and mind bending.

The story is deep, intriguing, and thoughtful and keeps you extremely motivated to continue to plug along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom