• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MFi iOS Controllers Thread

This thread gathers together information on the many forms of MFi controllers that are available for Apple devices.
It will focus on official MFi controller hardware and not older non-compatible hardware such as iCade or jailbreak features like controllers4all.

History of MFi
Apple MFi Program ("Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad") is a licensing program for hardware and software peripherals that work with Apple's iPod, iPad and iPhone, originally launched as Made for iPod in 2005. With the release of iOS 7 in 2013, MFi was expanded to include game controllers with specific Apple supported layouts.

Device Compatibility
iOS devices must be running at least iOS 7 and include a lighting charging port to support MFi controllers.
MFi controllers should also work with OS X Mavericks and up, but there’s not a lot of Macs games that seem to support it.
MFi controllers will also work with the 2015 Apple TV, but all tvOS games must supported the bundled Siri remote which only has a couple of buttons.

Controller layouts
Apple has defined three distinct categories of controllers: a formfitting standard controller, a formfitting extended controller, and a standalone extended controller.

- Formfitting Standard controller:

featureshidgamecontrollerstandardformfittingsample_2x.png

Includes d-pad, pause button, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons

- Formfitting Extended Controller

Includes d-pad, pause button, 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks.

- Standalone Extended Controller

Includes d-pad, pause button, 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks.

Games must also support a noncontroller option (ie using the built in touchscreen, gyro etc.)

Games
Check out the great Afterpad.com for an up-to-date list of all available games.

Hardware

Available Now

Steelseries Nimbus

steelseries-nimbus-wireles-gaming-controller.jpg

Not an Apple controller, but the closet you'll get for now. Supposedly Apple worked with Steelseries to produce this.

Layout: Extended standalone
Compatibility: Any
Special Features: Lightning connector for charging, design input from Apple
Price: $49.99 from apple.com or Amazon

The downside of the Nimbus is no clip, the Nyko Xbox one clip does work, but it covers the pause/menu button:

https://afterpad.com/review-using-the-nyko-xbox-one-clip-with-the-steelseries-nimbus/

Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i and C.T.R.L.i micro

A full size controller with a clip for your iPhone or iPod touch, also works with iPad and Apple TV. Also available in a smaller 'micro' version.

micro on the left, full size on the right.

Special Features: Clip for smaller iOS devices
Price: Black is $49.99 on Amazon, other colors (Blue, red, white) $10 more. Micro is $10 cheaper than the full size.
Available: Amazon, full size, Amazon micro

MOGA Rebel

Similar to the Mad Catz controller above.

141112_x.jpg

Special Features: Clip for smaller iOS devices (clip will fit iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, not iPad mini)
Price: $79.99
Available: Now

HoriPad

Full size extended controller with Playstation style layout.

Special Features: Includes stand for iPad
Available: Amazon

SteelSeries Stratus

Layout: ‘mini’ Extended standalone
Special Features: integrated 1800mAh battery
Price: 49.99USD

Also available as a full size controller SteelSeries Stratus XL[/URL]

steelseries-stratus-xl-4.jpg

$69.99 at Amazon.

Tt eSPORTS Contour

Another full size controller with a clip

2602450-c.jpg

Special Features: Clip for smaller iOS devices, integrated battery

Wikipad Gamevice

Formfitting extended control for iPad mini.

gamevicemainimage-800x434.jpg

Layout: Extended formfitting
Compatibility: iPad mini
Special Features: integrated battery
Price: $99

Sky Chief

These need to either start being the same quality as console controllers to justify $50-60 maximum or be <$30

EDIT: The Hori looks pretty good though, had not seen it before. Hori stuff is usually high quality, if it costs ~$50 I might buy it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks for the work on the OP infiniteloop, this thread will certainly prove useful.

Ninja Dom

I definitely approve of this thread.

I'm looking for a nice iOS MFi controller with a GOOD D-Pad so that I can use it on the SNK King of Fighters games. I'm not sure if the games are even configured for MFi controllers.

The MadCatz one is my first choice. I think the Android version is out now but there seems to be a delay on the iOS one. Was expecting it last month. Maybe MarkMan can jump in and tell us what the deal is with this one.

Second on my list is the HORI pad as this looks like it has a fighting game friendly D-Pad.

riotous

Banned
Got the MOGA on Sunday.

It's an expensive paper weight. Buttons register maybe half of all clicks, and it regularly "sticks" in a direction you press. Not physically but in software, suddenly the game will go left and not stop going left no matter what I press.

Nonentity

It really bothers me that they color-swapped the A/B and X/Y buttons from the 360 controller. Like, irrationally so.

iceatcs

The price is push me off to buy any official controller. That's why I jailbreak my iPad to allow DS3 or more unofficial controllers running on MFI.

Shame about blutrol app, stop updating. This app allow to use controller on any apps.

Alchemy

I'm horribly confused by the controllers that don't have dual analogs or two shoulder buttons on each side. Why even bother picking those up? Sorta tempted to grab the MOGA Ace Power though, like the idea of a battery extender inside the controller.

SteveWD40

Horipad will probably finally put me on this bandwagon, looks great and the stand is a nice touch (iPad gaming for me).

Clunker

Thanks for starting this! I'm now curious about how these things work ever since falling back into love with Mon Hun on my temporary iPad mini.

Very frustrating that there's a surprising lack of news and overall chatter on MFi controllers that don't sound like they control terribly. Back when Monster Hunter came out I did some searching and saw some people speak well about the Steel Stratus, but yeah, that price is intimidating for a gamble; at least when I'm forced to spend $50 on a DualShock or whatever I already know what it feels like.

Got the MOGA on Sunday.

It's an expensive paper weight. Buttons register maybe half of all clicks, and it regularly "sticks" in a direction you press. Not physically but in software, suddenly the game will go left and not stop going left no matter what I press.

The Ace Power? damn i thought that looked the best too!

I've been using an ipega
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3710...ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108
this one, i used it for my Galaxy S3, it also has an iphone mode that sort of works with iphone, it works on a few games like the sonic games and metal slug ones that i've tested, but not any of the full controller supported iOS7 games, so wanted an upgrade

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm waiting to get both the horipad and madcatz controller. One for 2d and one for 3d games.

SmokyDave

I wish Madcatz would pull their finger out. Theirs definitely looks like the best offering, but with no ETA and a mounting backlog, I'm thinking I might be better off looking elsewhere.

Krejlooc

Banned
Got the MOGA on Sunday.

Which Moga? I have a Moga Power Pro and it works great.

jim2011

Got the steel series stratus. I like it a lot but will say its very hard to hit the triggers and bumpers at the same time.

Tobor

Got the steel series stratus. I like it a lot but will say its very hard to hit the triggers and bumpers at the same time.

Does it feel too small? I'm thinking about getting one to hold me over until the XL, and to have something portable in my bag for whenever.

jim2011

Does it feel too small? I'm thinking about getting one to hold me over until the XL, and to have something portable in my bag for whenever.

For extended situations yes but I'll take being able to put it in my pocket over a larger controller.

SeanR1221

I hope some decent sized controllers come out before November.

I'm going away and I think I'd rather just bring my iPad then bringing a vita or 3DS plus games.

Update:

Eli Hodapp &#8207;@hodapp 1h
Sad trombone zone: I just confirmed that the Skylanders iOS controller they revealed this morning only works with the Skylanders game. :(

--------------------

Activision is releasing a Skylanders Trap Team tablet set with an included wireless controller.

Activision just announced Skylanders Trap Team which features a tablet starter pack that you can preorder on Amazon for $74.99.

Included in the bundle is a wireless portal to summon your dudes, a wireless game controller to play the game, a couple Skylanders plastic figures and traps, and of course, sticks and trading cards because why not.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/08/12/skylanders-trap-team-bluetooth-portal-and-controller/

It certainly looks like an extended MFi controller:

14710985118_2269571a3b_z.jpg

Has 2 shoulder buttons on each side.

$75 might not be the best controller deal if you're not interested in the game, but should bring an increase in the number of people who have a controller available for other games.

Lkr

i've always wondered why we can't just use the wii u pro controller, ds3/ds4 or other bluetooth controllers natively with iOS.

jts

...hate me...
i've always wondered why we can't just use the wii u pro controller, ds3/ds4 or other bluetooth controllers natively with iOS.
Cause Nintendo and Sony didn't pay up for licensing (nor are they interested to).

M3d10n

Formfitting controller's like Logitechs sound like a short-sighted purchase, unless you plan to stick with the same phone for several years.

Because those controllers' manufacturers aren't paying Apple's licensing fees. Whenever you buy a MiFi controller, Apple gets a cut.

Formfitting controller's like Logitechs sound like a short-sighted purchase, unless you plan to stick with the same phone for several years.

Yeah, especially weird is the Razer Junglecat that'll be out just weeks before the next iPhone that has a whole new form factor.
¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

epicnemesis

I don't know if jailbreaking talk is kosher here but I jailbroke my iPad yesterday specifically so I could use a real damn controller with Oceanhorn and KOTOR. I played both of them with my wii u pro controller and life is good. I just downloaded an app on cydia and it works beautifully.

Its especially great because for some reason its not overriding the connection between my controller and my wii u, so I dont have to bother with re-pairing every time i switch between the two devices.

Now I'm on the hunt for good emulators.

Kiyo

I don't know if jailbreaking talk is kosher here but I jailbroke my iPad yesterday specifically so I could use a real damn controller with Oceanhorn and KOTOR. I played both of them with my wii u pro controller and life is good. I just downloaded an app on cydia and it works beautifully.

Its especially great because for some reason its not overriding the connection between my controller and my wii u, so I dont have to bother with re-pairing every time i switch between the two devices.

Now I'm on the hunt for good emulators.

Yep, love using my Dualshock 4 for my iPad.

Aru

Madcatz CTRLi is the only way to go for me. I want a full size controller but I need to clip my phone on it, so there isn't much choice.
I hope it's releasing before the end of the year.

Madcatz CTRLi is the only way to go for me. I want a full size controller but I need to clip my phone on it, so there isn't much choice.
I hope it's releasing before the end of the year.

The MOGA Rebel and Tt eSPORTS Mobile also have a clip for the phone, not sure on dates though.

Apple really needs to make an official one. Not just to set a standard in style and appearance, but to encourage developers to build games that include a control layout for controllers.

Apple really needs to make an official one. Not just to set a standard in style and appearance, but to encourage developers to build games that include a control layout for controllers.

I can see why they don't, or at least, didn't to begin with, but at this point they might as well make a standalone extended as no one else seems capable.

TheMink

That Madcatz one looks actually good. I have that tiny steel series one and i hate it.

And at way cheaper price potentially.

I bought a PS4 controller when they had them on sale a few weeks ago for $30-40.

Had to jailbreak my iPad to get it working, but that was a really easy process and once it was working my controller worked great on the iPad.

Pretty cool to be able to use one on some of the games like LEGO Star Wars. I have the iPad Mini Retina, so the screen is a little small to play games from a distance, but it's still cool. I think KOTOR supports controllers on iOS now so I'm thinking I'll play that with my PS4 controller.

Flink

It'd probably have 1 button and require you to speak any additional ones you want to "press." I don't trust them with stuff like this, haha.

I am a Program Manager for Apple's MFi/iBeacon programs

Ninja Dom

Does anyone know when the Madcatz CTRLi is coming out? I'm finding a bunch of conlflicting info.

Cross post

This is the one controller that I'm also waiting for.

Just wanna check, do all existing games have to be made with MFi controller support for MFi controllers to work? Only cos the specific games I wanna play don't mention that they have MFI controller support in their iTunes description.

Top Bottom