• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MFi iOS Controllers Thread

Widge

Subscribed to this because not having a controller is a major barrier to me buying certain games.

I've got a 6plus, would the MadKatz clip accommodate that? Trying to weigh up that vs. the rather solid looking Hori effort.

JMTHEFOX

Subscribed to this because not having a controller is a major barrier to me buying certain games.

I've got a 6plus, would the MadKatz clip accommodate that? Trying to weigh up that vs. the rather solid looking Hori effort.

Both the C.T.R.L.i and the Micro variant has a clip that can hold the 6+.
http://store.madcatz.com/categories...e-Gamepad-for-Apple-iPod-iPhone-and-iPad.html

Even the MOGA Rebel's S.M.R.T Lock arm can hold the 6+.
http://www.mogaanywhere.com/rebel

ferr

I didn't know about "MFi" ... I bought an iPega gamepad recently and should have looked a little closer at the reviews- it seems like it's mostly for Android gaming and isn't compatible with hardly anything on iOS. It does offer a PC/bluetooth connection so I could still do some interesting stuff like splashtop+emulator.

I briefly had a 6+ and it worked fine with my CTRLi Micro. The clip on the full size CTRLi is a little sturdier though.

SmokyDave

Anyone else got a Hori pad?

I'm really digging mine, but I've got a weird issue where it won't pair with my iPad 3. Pairs fine with my phone, pairs fine with the missus' iPad mini. If I try it on my iPad though, it just goes straight to 'connected' without asking me if I want to pair the devices. Tried resetting networks settings, tried erasing everything and setting it up as a new iPad, but nothing works. The controller does sync with the pad (the P1 LED turns solid) but no buttons work in any games.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this with an mfi controller?

It's a shame because that issue aside, it's a cracking controller.

Edit: Fuck, sussed my issue. mfi controllers do not work with the third generation iPad. Probably worth knowing.

By4xG4HCAAAST9r.jpg

I posted a page back that I got one of these for christmas, all I can say is avoid this piece of shit.

dpad is one of the worst I have ever come across, sholder buttons require some pressure to register and the face buttons while not perfect are probably the only good working part of the device, the built in battery is a plus if you want to charge your iphone 5 or ipod while out and about but it's not that good either.

I ended up getting a knife into my controller on christmas day, breaking it open to see how and why the dpad is so shit, added some cardboard rings to remove a lot of the spongy unresponsive feeling but it's still terrible, since boxing day it's been in my cupboard forgotten about until just now.

I own a £6 chinese made USB snes controller with better responce and feel then this PoS, I mean it, do not buy a logitech controller for iOS.

JMTHEFOX

I posted a page back that I got one of these for christmas, all I can say is avoid this piece of shit.

dpad is one of the worst I have ever come across, sholder buttons require some pressure to register and the face buttons while not perfect are probably the only good working part of the device, the built in battery is a plus if you want to charge your iphone 5 or ipod while out and about but it's not that good either.

I ended up getting a knife into my controller on christmas day, breaking it open to see how and why the dpad is so shit, added some cardboard rings to remove a lot of the spongy unresponsive feeling but it's still terrible, since boxing day it's been in my cupboard forgotten about until just now.

I own a £6 chinese made USB snes controller with better responce and feel then this PoS, I mean it, do not buy a logitech controller for iOS.
Was going to buy one until I read your thoughts, any experience with the MOGA Ace Power?

Was going to buy one until I read your thoughts, any experience with the MOGA Ace Power?

Not that controller no sorry, I do own an older moga controller which I use (in keyboard mode) on my windows tablet, never really got it working on iOS but it is old.

Alchemy

Agreed, that looks great. Glad there's a version coming to the iPhone -- I'd prefer to use that type with a smaller device than a larger one where I'd get a HORIPAD for. The Wii U GamePad is ~300 grams and a tad heavy for extended gameplay if you don't rest it on your thighs, so an iPad Mini + controller grip will probably be a bit of a killer compared with an iPhone.

StereoVsn

Is there a pad with clickable analog sticks? None of the major ones seem to have the function. Or is this not supported by API?

I just got the GameVice a week ago:

And it's pretty damn good. Been trying a few iOS MFI enabled games and tons of emulators. Definitely the best MFI controller setup I had so far.

If you don't like the feel of the WiiU tablet, this isn't for you, since your hands are spaced apart quite far, but I like the feel of the analog sticks, the dpad, the buttons, etc. - the triggers could've had a bit more resistance, but all in all, this is a high quality controller and definitely the best thing I've seen to turn your iPad into a neat handheld console :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I just got the GameVice a week ago:

And it's pretty damn good. Been trying a few iOS MFI enabled games and tons of emulators. Definitely the best MFI controller setup I had so far.

If you don't like the feel of the WiiU tablet, this isn't for you, since your hands are spaced apart quite far, but I like the feel of the analog sticks, the dpad, the buttons, etc. - the triggers could've had a bit more resistance, but all in all, this is a high quality controller and definitely the best thing I've seen to turn your iPad into a neat handheld console :)

Sounds great, will be sure to pick one up when the 6S drops.

Soupy

Banned
So I recently picked up the Moga Rebel for my iPhone 6 Plus. I am really liking it so far. iOS is not my main platform or anything when it comes to gaming. But my iPhone actually feels like a legitimate portable gaming device now.

I don't have any complaints about the Moga Rebel so far. I just wish it took AA or AAA batteries instead of being rechargeable. But oh well.

Steelseries Nimbus is a new MFi controller out soon:

steelseries-nimbus-640x471.jpg

$49.99

Apple is pushing it as for the new Apple TV on their site:

http://www.apple.com/tv/games-and-more/

This controller has a lightning connector for charger.

Venture Beat has an interview with SteelSeries CEO about the new controller, and about their general relationship with Apple:

GamesBeat: Is the Nimbus a joint product? Is this going to be packed in with the Apple TV?

Rabbani: From conception to design to validation … it’s been done jointly. There is technology in there that has been 100 percent designed by Apple, there’s technology that is 100 percent designed by SteelSeries.

Probably closest to an Apple controller we'll get. Pity that the controller requirements for Apple TV are so restrictive it makes it near useless.

Steelseries Nimbus is a new MFi controller out soon:

steelseries-nimbus-640x471.jpg

$49.99

Apple is pushing it as for the new Apple TV on their site:

http://www.apple.com/tv/games-and-more/

This controller has a lightning connector for charger.

Venture Beat has an interview with SteelSeries CEO about the new controller, and about their general relationship with Apple:

Probably closest to an Apple controller we'll get. Pity that the controller requirements for Apple TV are so restrictive it makes it near useless.

If apple are pushing it i'm amazed it's not $99 like the shit we had last year, guess they are learning.

£40 in the uk, about the same price as a modern console controller.

Top Bottom