• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MFi iOS Controllers Thread

Broke down and ordered the Nimbus. I've seen a few really positive reviews and that was enough. I'll report my experience here when I get it. fingers crossed

Got the Nimbus in the mail today.

Impressions aren't great so far...

The controller is beautiful and well made. It feels very solid in your hands, better than some first party console controllers. The build quality feels close to the Xbox One's standard controller. Action on all of the buttons is smooth. The triggers are outstanding to pull: just the right amount of tension with a very satisfying stop at the end.

So what's wrong?

Well, the controller won't pair with either of my iOS devices. The iPad Mini and iPhone 5c only briefly pair with it before the connection drops out. I am currently updating the iPhone to iOS 9. I had held off because I didn't want the device bogged down by a later OS. Now I guess I don't have any choice if I hope to use external devices such as the Nimbus.

Definitely something to consider if you have an older iOS device.

The controller did pair with my old White Macbook Unibody from 2009. It works well enough with some oddities.

Edit: Finished updating the phone to iOS 9.x. The Nimbus synced up without issue. So iOS 9 may be a requirement. Played through some of DotEMU's titles, worked pretty good. Sonic 2 felt great, no delay that I could tell. The d-pad initially felt like it wouldn't be so hot for old arcade style games, but it works pretty well.

Now that I have it working, I say buy it. It's probably the best iOS controller out there right now and the price is pretty good at $50 US.

elohel

I have a nimbus works great but you can tell apple needs a lot of feedback with the controller program they have :/ but nice to see lightning charging and decent battery life and pressure sensitive buttons

Hoping more games take advantage of all of the buttons :/

Apple has a new Horipad Ultimate on it's site:

HJ172

http://www.apple.com/jp/shop/produc...2467;ントローラ
¥6,400

Don't see it in the US store yet.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Not a ton of responses in here on it, so just want to give more praise for the Nimbus. I'll still hook up a DS4 if the Apple TV gets a jailbreak, but until then this is a perfectly good controller. Have a few games and the d-pad is awesome with Provenance. $50USD for basically the best MFi controller is a pretty great deal. Paired it up in iOS just to mess around, but mostly bought it for Apple TV.

Anyone else having issues getting Shantae: Risky's Revenge to work properly with the Nimbus? The only input it recognizes for me is the menu button.

Got the Nimbus in the mail today.

Impressions aren't great so far...

The controller is beautiful and well made. It feels very solid in your hands, better than some first party console controllers. The build quality feels close to the Xbox One's standard controller. Action on all of the buttons is smooth. The triggers are outstanding to pull: just the right amount of tension with a very satisfying stop at the end.

So what's wrong?

Well, the controller won't pair with either of my iOS devices. The iPad Mini and iPhone 5c only briefly pair with it before the connection drops out. I am currently updating the iPhone to iOS 9. I had held off because I didn't want the device bogged down by a later OS. Now I guess I don't have any choice if I hope to use external devices such as the Nimbus.

Definitely something to consider if you have an older iOS device.

The controller did pair with my old White Macbook Unibody from 2009. It works well enough with some oddities.

Edit: Finished updating the phone to iOS 9.x. The Nimbus synced up without issue. So iOS 9 may be a requirement. Played through some of DotEMU's titles, worked pretty good. Sonic 2 felt great, no delay that I could tell. The d-pad initially felt like it wouldn't be so hot for old arcade style games, but it works pretty well.

Now that I have it working, I say buy it. It's probably the best iOS controller out there right now and the price is pretty good at $50 US.
Nice feedback thanks! I don't own many if any pad games on my iphone 5 but it's good to know the controller is worth the money when I need one.

nampad

Is there any way to attach an Iphone on the Nimbus or Horipad Ultimate. They have all the features I want from a controller except the Iphone clip :/

Don't want to settle with the Moga Rebel or Madcatz CTRLi. Maybe there is another controller alternative? I want the PS stick layout and a rechargeable battery.

I just 1CC'd the first two stages of Metal Slug 3 on iOS with the Nimbus. I could have gone further, but break was over. :p

Not bad, Steelseries. Not bad.

StereoVsn

So what do you guys think Nimbus vs Horipad Ultimate? I am leaning Horipad, but not 100% sure. I do wish they had iPhone clamps as 6s Plus is pretty good at quite a few games.

So what do you guys think Nimbus vs Horipad Ultimate? I am leaning Horipad, but not 100% sure. I do wish they had iPhone clamps as 6s Plus is pretty good at quite a few games.

I haven't tried the Hori yet, but the d-pad does look considerably better than the one on the Nimbus.

.hacked

Got my Horipad today and it is great, very well built and feels great. My previous controller was the mini stratus and this one blows it out of the water. Going to test with more games when I get a chance.

.hacked

So tried a few more games and this Horipad is great.

Modern Combat 5 - tried this to test out a fps, near had any luck with these and touch controls. If anything the gamepad make this game way to easy but I dig that. Good time waster and it is Free to play.

Asphalt 8 - another free to play game, racer feels like a mix between SF Rush and Burnout. Game pad work like magic.

KoF97 - Had this one on my iPad already, D-pad works great much better than my old Stratus and button layout works well with SNK fighters.

Metal Slug 3 - Another SNK emu game and something I already owned. Got further in my test run with the Horipad then I every gotten before. Think I may splurge on the SNK bundle if these 2 are any indication.

Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed - had this game on the WiiU and while does not look as nice runs at a much higher frame rate. Downside feels like gas should be on the lower trigger R2 and not R1. Maybe an option somewhere to switch them? Very nice game and so much fun with gamepad.

Anyone looking for a quality controller I can't recommend this one enough, A+ product.

EmSeta

So is there any concencus on what is the best controller with a clip?

I just bought Final Fantasy 6, and while I can live with the weird hybrid art style, the touch controls are simply horrible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Whats the best controller for use across multiple devices? I have an ipad air, iphone 6S+ and the new apple TV. I'd likely use it at home, and probably most on the ipad air, but a clip for the iphone might be useful.

I've read you can use the Nyko Xbox one clip with the Nimbus so I'm leaning in that direction

9to5Toys notes that the Steelseries Nimbus is $37.46 shipped for Steelseries:

SteelSeries offers its Nimbus Wireless Apple TV game controller for $49.99. Apply coupon code MADCITYGG during checkout to drop your final price down to $37.46 shipped. That’s a savings of nearly $13 and the lowest price we’ve ever seen. In addition to being designed for the 4th generation Apple TV, the Nimbus Wireless Controller also works with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac. It features Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity, rechargeable batteries that last at least 40 hours and pressure-sensitive buttons. Rated 4 out of 5 stars from Apple shoppers.

http://9to5toys.com/2016/02/22/steelseries-nimbus-wireless-controller/

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
No contest! 8Bitdo FC30 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Game Controller

1447779416855-P-3426066.jpg

Boney

Banned
Heyo, was thinking of getting some sort of controller for my 6s and was wondering on the alternatives.

First of all, do PS3 and Wii U pads work via Bluetooth still or does it require jail break? Was thinking it might be cheaper to just get a grip for either of those and use those instead of shelling out for an entire new controller. I don't care much for portability, but good, not mushy buttons/dpad are a must. I'm just worried the grips might be a bit wobbly and it could be either annoying to play or feel too frail and even risk of it falling. Anybody know of a good grip they'd recommend? I much prefer the Wii U controller but I doubt there's going to be many grips for that.

And if grips aren't worth it at all or Bluetooth controllers aren't natively supported, any good solid recommendations for a good controller?

Boney

Banned
Seems like the only mobile controllers available where I live is the Ipega line, which seems like a Bluetooth controller that supports iOS, Android, and PC. So I'm a little worried the compatibility with iOS might be not great.

Anybody have experience with these? Was thinking of getting the 9025 model as it seems to have decent set of buttons and I'm not really sure what the 9028 has over it other than a touchpad.

Thoughts?

JMTHEFOX

Bump.

New kickstarter for a new MFi iOS game controller from Gamesir. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and Apple TV (4th gen).

Gamastura said:
NOW ON KICKSTARTER: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56762900/1199560182?token=45acfaec

Press Release: http://www.thomas-pr.com/gamesir/gamesirm2gamepadrelease.html

GameSir M2 Provides Incredible Precision & Reaction Speeds for Shooting & Fighting with Sports & Adventure Games -- First iOS Game Controller with Big, Rubber-Coated Handles for Comfort & First with LED Power Indicator

Super Early Bird Kickstarter Discount at 50% Off

GameSir is Leading Provider of Game Controllers with 2 Million Users in 30 Countries Ultimate Portable iOS Gaming Experience – Play Games on iPhone, iPad, iPod & Apple TV Anytime/Anywhere

Video: https://youtu.be/Jd1mw8Wxge8

December 14, 2016, Hong Kong, China -- GameSir http://www.gamesir.hk , the leading worldwide brand of game controllers with more than 2 million users in over 30 countries, announced today the ultimate portable iOS gaming experience, the M2 Gamepad game controller for iOS, now on Kickstarter at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56762900/1199560182?token=45acfaec . The first iOS game controller featuring big, rubber-coated textured handles for a comfortable grip when playing games for long periods, the M2 Gamepad lets everyone comfortably play games on any iOS device: iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV -- anytime/anywhere. The M2 Gamepad provides incredible precision, accuracy, and reaction speeds for shooting and fighting with sports and adventure games and is the first iOS controller with an LED power indicator for better gaming process control. The i Phone, iPad or iPod quickly snaps onto the Gamepad phone holder on top of the unit for secure gaming. GameSir will be exhibiting at CES Las Vegas, January 5-8, 2017, GameSir Booth #613 Westgate (Anhui Changgan Network Technology).

Includes Free “GameSir World” & “Happy Chick” Apps

Apple-certified MFi (Made for iOS), the M2 Gamepad features a compact design for easy portability with Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity for playing games everywhere. GameSir also includes the free GameSir Apps “GameSir World” where users can download thousands of Apple Gamepad supported mobile games to share with friends and family and the free GameSir “Happy Chick” App to download retro games for the most entertaining gaming experience on the road.

GameSir M2 Gamepad Key Features:
- Apple-certified MFi iOS game controller: for iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV for gaming anywhere/anytime.

- Compact design: for easy portability.

- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4 for playing everywhere.

- Incredible precision and reaction speeds: for shooting and fighting with sports and adventure games.

- Comfortable long-time gaming: first iOS gamepad with big, rubber-coated textured handles for a comfortable grip.

- LED Power Indicator: first iOS gamepad with an LED power indicator for better gaming process control.

- “GameSir World” App: quickly download tons of popular Apple Gamepad supported mobile games on GameSir’s free app.

- “Happy Chick” App: quickly download thousands of retro games with GameSir’s free App.

- Share games: share favorite iOS games with friends and family.

- Attaches Securely: iOS devices quickly attach to the M2 controller for secure gaming that won’t come loose.

-Compatibility: iPhone7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhoneSE , iPad Pro, iPad mini, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPod, and Apple TV.

-Dimensions: 155 mm (width) x 102 mm (height) x 65.5 (depth).

Super Early Bird Kickstarter Pricing up to 50% Off

Priced at $99.90, the GameSir M2 Gamepad for iOS is available for pre-sale now with super early bird discounted pricing of up to 50% off for $49 on Kickstarter at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56762900/1199560182?token=45acfaec , shipping May 2017. The M2 Gamepad comes with the Controller, User Manual, USB Cable, free “GameSir World” and “Happy Chick” Apps, and GameSir World Guide. For more information, see the website: http://www.gamesir.hk , Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/myGamesir/ , and Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56762900/1199560182?token=45acfaec .

About GameSir:

GameSir is the leading worldwide brand of game controllers, with more than 2 million users from over 30 countries. Born out of a pure desire to create more fun, GameSir was founded in Hong Kong, China in 2013 with the goal of creating the ultimate mobile gaming platform by making mobile games easier, more realistic, and more fun. GameSir conducted its own research and development, manufacturing game controllers with a spirit of innovation and passion. GameSir inspires gamers with the first 4-in-one unique mobile gaming ecosystem, integrating Content, Platform, Software, and Controllers into the mobile gaming industry. For more information, see http://www.gamesir.hk .

GameSir, Just Play!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-into-a-handheld-game-console?token=45acfaec

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Top Bottom