• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MFi iOS Controllers Thread

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My favorite idea is the ones that are designed to fit on the iPhone, but collapse into a smaller version that can sync with the iPad.

Or, better yet, ones that universally resize to fit any size iPhone and iPad and just clamp to hold it in place.

I'd love to get one. Especially if it means I can use my iPad mini like a slightly bigger Wii U GamePad. (The Wikipad looks amazing. But it's iPad only. And I assume it won't fit on one with a certain case on it.)

I just don't have many games that support it. I'd play a lot of FPS games on iOS if they all supported these. (Do DOOM and Wolfenstein support MFi? They're like the only FPS games I have on iOS. What about Minecraft?)

Edit: I also like that one above. Though I'd still like one that stretched to grip the iPad in landscape mode.

SmokyDave

Moga Rebel confirmed for September release.
Ah, dammit. I was just about to order a Steelseries Stratus as I've given up on the Madcatz controller being released. This looks like a better bet though.

Man, I just want to buy a half decent iOS controller. It shouldn't be this difficult.

The Gamevice has had a re-design, some new pics:

NewTopImage.png

ClassicControls_NEW.png

Coming in 2014, Priced “to be as aggressive as possible without giving it away.” according to afterpad.com

http://www.gamevice.com

Also, Hori say there pad is not coming out in August :(

SmokyDave

Give us some reviews when you get them guys!
(Logitech Powershell)

Battery charging is cool. Face buttons are passable. D-pad is absolutely atrocious. So bad that I think I'd rather just use a touchscreen.

Glad I bought one (for the battery functionality if nothing else), but I'm still in the market because it's shit as a controller.

Thanks, Dave.

TouchArcade Hands on video and impressions with MOGA Rebel

http://toucharcade.com/2014/09/11/moga-rebel-mfi-controller-hands-on-preview/

Overall, my impressions after yesterday's demo and my own time playing around with a review unit last night is that this is far and away the best full-sized MFi controller on market. Now, there's not a ton of competition in that area, and there are a few negatives to the Rebel. Obviously pricing is an issue as it is with every MFi controller, and at $79.99, while the Rebel definitely does feel like a well-built piece of hardware, it still doesn't feel like something that costs $79.99. Also, as much as I love the flip-out arm to hold my device, it doesn't flip all the way back, and the angle at which it stops feels a bit too forward for my taste. That's a very minor problem though, and one I'm quickly getting used to.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That MOGA looks like it'd be the one I'd get. I just hope everyone supports this stuff. I'd buy more controller-requiring games if everyone did.

dhonk

Wish they would add controller support to GTAIII and Vice City. The touch screen controls didnt seem that bad when I bought it, but jailbroken and using the Dualshock 3 with San Andreas is sooooo much better.

I know this is unrelated but are is the ipod touch a viable alternative for ios gaming? I used to be an apple guy but now I'm an android user that still has quite a few games on my ios account. And I'm interested in some ios games out now as well.

I know this is unrelated but are is the ipod touch a viable alternative for ios gaming? I used to be an apple guy but now I'm an android user that still has quite a few games on my ios account. And I'm interested in some ios games out now as well.

The 5 gen is probably passable.

That steelseries XL looks lovely, once that price drops i'll grab one. £59.99 GBP lol...

£19.95 on Amazon UK, down from the frankly ridiculous £89.99. I've ordered one to tide me over until a better dual analogue jobbie releases.
I ordered one for £15 last week, keeping it away until chrismtas but for that price, even lacking analog sticks I can find some nice uses for it.

I would have bought one sooner if it wasn't for the silly original price for the thing.

*edit* still £15 on amazon.co.uk for those interested

The Gamevice for iPad mini + Air will launch in March for $99 says after pad.com:

The Gamevice connects to the iPad via Lightning, and includes an integrated battery, audio output via an integrated DAC, Micro USB charging, and full Extended format MFi controls with an actual Plus-style d-pad. Prices are expected to start at $99, though it’s unclear whether different versions of the Gamevice will retail for different prices.

http://afterpad.com/post/107219017214/ces-2015-gamevice-controller-releasing-march-ipad

Will update the OP this week.

Qassim

I'm very interested in the gamevice, in fact it has been the only controller for the iPad I've been tempted by.

Hopefully it's available to ship to the UK when released.

J0dy77

Think I'm going to take the plunge on the Madcatz Ctrli and a good set of rechargable batteries. Does anyone have any experience with it? Should I get the micro or the full sized? I'm trying to get a feel for the difference in size.

Steel Series has been my favorite out of all those I bought for my Android.
My only real problem is that it is really small. Like stupidly small for a controller.

Think I'm going to take the plunge on the Madcatz Ctrli and a good set of rechargable batteries. Does anyone have any experience with it? Should I get the micro or the full sized? I'm trying to get a feel for the difference in size.

I have the micro, i like it. I haven't tried the full size, but supposedly the clip for the phone is a little more solid on the full size one.

Top Bottom