• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 import |OT| - Now it's not just a PS2 game!

I'm glad there's an impression thread for this (and don't get the criticisms, no one took the time to make one in 5 days...).

I've never played a NIS SRPG before but decided to rectify this last week for some reason. I found the following for really cheap: D1 Portable, D2 P, Phantom Brave P, Phantom Kingdom P, Soul Cradle and Zettai Hero as a bonus (less than 4000 yen for the 6).

I've heard they're around 30 hour long for the main story only. Is that true? That would be the perfect length for me.

You could spend 500 hours in the item worlds alone lol.

But yeh if you just shot through the main story then something in that range I think

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Now I'm actually thinking about grabbing it today since nothing interesting comes out until Bravely Second.
Damn you!

akitaone

Banned
I really like the improvements they made with this game, and I am a Disgaea superfan (my #1 gaming franchise), but I am still knee deep in Disgaea 4. I'm going to try to hold out for Disgaea 6...I don't like to play every one, as you can get burnt out since the core gameplay mechanics are similar.

akitaone

Banned
Well, you could justify it by telling yourself you skipped D D2.

I don't really like the fan service storyline of Disgaea D2...I much prefer the characters in D4. Plus, I only have a bit more than 100 hours into D4 so far, so that's the real reason I am holding off.

Sinople

You could spend 500 hours in the item worlds alone lol.

But yeh if you just shot through the main story then something in that range I think
I'll stay far away from the item worlds, lol.

In other news, the game is a big bomba, selling only 22,000 units. Far from the 150,000 the NIS boss hoped...
I still don't understand why he thought it was a good idea to release it on the same day as BloodBorne, SAO and One Piece.

Momentary

Banned

In other news, the game is a big bomba, selling only 22,000 units. Far from the 150,000 the NIS boss hoped...
I still don't understand why he thought it was a good idea to release it on the same day as BloodBorne, SAO and One Piece.

The only solution is to release it on PC. Games like that sell over 100,000 easy on Steam. But then again... it's Japan. Maybe the numbers will be more promising in the States.

bobawesome

Poo on you, OP.
JDBgpb5.gif

Really getting some mileage out of that gif, eh?

AwShucks

Releasing on the same week as Bloodborne? What a bad idea. I hope it has legs or does great in the west. But sadly I think the NIS group of fans is dwindling.

OmegaDL50

You may not even have a choice.You may require to obtain a level 10 item just to progress beyond a certain point in the story.

They did this very thing in Disgaea 1, 2, 3, and 4. I don't recall DD2 doing this, but I know every mainline installment of Disgaea forced you enter item world to get a level 10 item at least once.

AwShucks

You may not even have a choice.You may require to obtain a level 10 item just to progress beyond a certain point in the story.

They did this very thing in Disgaea 1, 2, 3, and 4. I don't recall DD2 doing this, but I know every mainline installment of Disgaea forced you enter item world to get a level 10 item at least once.

I beat 1, 2 and 4 and don't remember being forced outside of the standard tutorial which was just like a normal stage but in the item world.

OmegaDL50

I beat 1, 2 and 4 and don't remember being forced outside of the standard tutorial which was just like a normal stage but in the item world.

In all four mainline Disgaea games, you are required to have a level 10 item to proceed and unlock an area in the story during Episode 3 for all four games. This cannot be avoided or ignored. Not having a level 10 item equipped you cannot progress beyond the point in which Gatekeeper asks to unlock the area.

OmegaDL50

Here's some more information I could dig up, mostly about the Item World.

Unlike before level spheres need to be broken instead of lifted in order to get their bonus, then there are random rabbit enemies that give a random boost to the item when smacked.

This person got their bonus gauge up to 6 and gained 3 extra levels for an item. Bonus 0 (default bonus) gives the level clear level and then there's the bonuses. They are at bonuses 3, 6 and 9 you get an additional item level increase
https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/20150318_disgaea5_12.jpg

This means clearing 10 floors and maxing out the Bonus Gauge could very well reward like 40+ levels when you factor things like Level Spheres and Rabbit Monster bonuses.

Quite a few interesting things here https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/282/20150318_disgaea5.html
Apparently there aren't pirates anymore but "Invaders"

Statisticians will cap at 900 instead of 300 now and they don't stack beyond that. This means you can fit 900 Statistician using only a single Innocent slot but only max out at 900% exp bonus for a single character. However if the Cheat Shop 1000% Exp is multiplicative like in previous games then this isn't an issue at all. (900 x 1000% = 9000%)

Rather than duping with the Puppy Paw Stick, there is a new NPC in Item World that will randomly appear that duplicates the item you are currently in.

Random Encounters - An Angel can appear in Item World that will spawn a neutral NPC. When you kill this NPC they give you items. The Angel can also spawn a Super Boss. (Darkdeath Evilman for example)

You get whatever you earned from the bonus list, even if you skip the floor. So doing tricks to max out the bonus gauge such as using Geo Panels or use a high leveled Thief to Create a Box. Then have some weak characters mass combo it to max out the bonus gauge and then just skip floor to reap the rewards.

So far this sounds to be in terms of mechanics the best Disgaea game to date.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well....I just hope the duping person isn't more rare than the 10-20% chance the PPS has....Who am I kidding, it'll probably be 1% or less, lol.

Otherwise, that info sounds really interesting for Item World progression speed up, especially if the combo/bonus rank adds to levels.

Or you could just
Land Decimator
if it's not disabled.

OmegaDL50

Well....I just hope the duping person isn't more rare than the 10-20% chance the PPS has....Who am I kidding, it'll probably be 1% or less, lol.

Otherwise, that info sounds really interesting for Item World progression speed up, especially if the combo/bonus rank adds to levels.

Or you could just
Land Decimator
if it's not disabled.

Well there is unit with a skill that can nuke every single enemy on a map. So if you want widescale floor clearing attacks for item world, that is a non-issue.

Shengar

Definitely. So much audience overlap over there. I wonder why NIS don't delay it to April where they more likely to perform better. The line up of that week is absolute crazy.

Waiting for the eu release myself.
On a side note, please nis..
Give us westerner a english re-release of stuff like soul nomad and makai kingdom.. Even just vita version is fine .. :/

Magitex

So.. is NIS done for now?

I hope they thoroughly regret not bringing this to PS3!.. though in honesty I'm not sure it would've changed a thing sales-wise. I can't buy the hundreds of characters things on screen issue. We needed hundreds of characters on screen in the first place?

I think I've run out of japanese series to enjoy after Disgaea retires unfortunately :(

I hesitate to call DD2 bad but I certainly didn't enjoy it. D4 on the other hand was so damn good. Disgaea 5 is better than DD2, right guys?
I'm not sure when I'll be able to pick up a PS4 for this game but someday.

I really want this, this is my main reason for one day buying a PS4. Well, this and Persona 5.

Big Disgaea fan, and I'm hoping I can save up enough cash for the console when this finally hits the UK! Any news on a EU release date?

TheChaos0

Definitely. So much audience overlap over there. I wonder why NIS don't delay it to April where they more likely to perform better. The line up of that week is absolute crazy.

I'd imagine they wanted it out before the financial year ended. In the end it only hurt the sales of the game. Can't be certain by how much though.

Falk

that puzzling face
Here's some more information I could dig up, mostly about the Item World.

Unlike before level spheres need to be broken instead of lifted in order to get their bonus, then there are random rabbit enemies that give a random boost to the item when smacked.

This person got their bonus gauge up to 6 and gained 3 extra levels for an item. Bonus 0 (default bonus) gives the level clear level and then there's the bonuses. They are at bonuses 3, 6 and 9 you get an additional item level increase
https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/20150318_disgaea5_12.jpg

This means clearing 10 floors and maxing out the Bonus Gauge could very well reward like 40+ levels when you factor things like Level Spheres and Rabbit Monster bonuses.

Quite a few interesting things here https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/282/20150318_disgaea5.html
Apparently there aren't pirates anymore but "Invaders"

Statisticians will cap at 900 instead of 300 now and they don't stack beyond that. This means you can fit 900 Statistician using only a single Innocent slot but only max out at 900% exp bonus for a single character. However if the Cheat Shop 1000% Exp is multiplicative like in previous games then this isn't an issue at all. (900 x 1000% = 9000%)

Rather than duping with the Puppy Paw Stick, there is a new NPC in Item World that will randomly appear that duplicates the item you are currently in.

Random Encounters - An Angel can appear in Item World that will spawn a neutral NPC. When you kill this NPC they give you items. The Angel can also spawn a Super Boss. (Darkdeath Evilman for example)

You get whatever you earned from the bonus list, even if you skip the floor. So doing tricks to max out the bonus gauge such as using Geo Panels or use a high leveled Thief to Create a Box. Then have some weak characters mass combo it to max out the bonus gauge and then just skip floor to reap the rewards.

So far this sounds to be in terms of mechanics the best Disgaea game to date.

STREAMLINE

AMAZE

edit:
Wouldn't that be 1000%x1000%=10000%, since 900 statisticians should boost you to 10x, not 9x.

OmegaDL50

It's 1 Statistician = +1% exp bonus. So yes, I didn't factor the original 100% base exp you get as normal.

So having 900 Statisticians would grant an additional 900% exp, over at above the base 100% for a 1000% total.

Killing a level 1 monster and it gives you 3 exp for example with 900 Statisticians on a piece of equipment the calculation would be 3 exp base +900% = 300 exp, however if the Cheat Shop stacks like previous two games (D4 Vita and DD2) then you would get 3000 exp. (equivalent to killing a level 36 / 37 enemy) http://disgaea.gamexploiter.com/enext_table.html

OmegaDL50

Dammit. The cowgirl nickname is sticking with me.

EDIT: Also the localization better have dual audio.

Disgaea 1 PSP, both the PS2 and PSP version of 2, the PS3 and Vita versions of 3 and 4, as well as Disgaea D2 all had dual language options, which localization was all handled by NIS. Ironically the only game in the series without a dual language option was the first game which wasn't localized or published by NIS, but rather ATLUS.

Disgaea 5 is going to be published / localized by NIS so I don't see why it would be any different in receiving a dual language option as well.

Cisab

So does it still have those colored blocks you can throw around on the grid? Kinda interested in this but I hated those things.

Yasawas

So does it still have those colored blocks you can throw around on the grid? Kinda interested in this but I hated those things.

It does :( Got through the first chapter without seeing anyway so I was hoping they'd been jettisoned but it was the first tutorial in chapter 2. Hopefully they're not too prominent as I'm no fan either.

I like this game! The hub world music is awful though, that's my biggest grievance so far.

Bookman

well the OP made me interesstEd. I played a disengea game that had a real funny song/cutscene when I (the player) Lost. it was like the boss got the end game cut scen? Could someone help me find That cutscene? Anyways kind of love the humor in those games, Will buy if EU release.

Torraz

Just finished the main story. Took around 30 hours, although I spent around 3 hours or so in the item world. Otherwise I might have had to grind, so 30 hours for the true ending seems a decent estimate.

I have now beaten two of the "trial" maps, but I am still to slightly too weak to beat the third. Now that I am at the post game, what is the best way to become stronger?

Is there a guide regarding how to max items? I know in disgaea 4 it was kinda complicated and you had to "door" out of the levels at set points etc.

Thanks

Is there a guide regarding how to max items? I know in disgaea 4 it was kinda complicated and you had to "door" out of the levels at set points etc.

Thanks

As with DD2, there's probably no way to screw up an item anymore because you can literally dive an item indefinitely. Sure, there're optimal ways, but I wouldn't worry about messing up.

Top Bottom