• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Update (1.03) available

Fredrik

I have a feeling it isn't going to be fixed. I'm not sure if they're just not seeing it or if they really can't solve it but it's very annoying.

I will say that, despite the fact that it drives me nuts, I've still managed to have a really good time with the game. It's good enough to overcome that but, man, it really could use a fix.

It's definitely not related to background streaming or demands on the system either. If you go to Hunter's Dream and stand in the middle spinning the camera you'll find that every 5 seconds or so you get a couple seconds of messed up frame times.
How can they not be seeing it if it's an almost constant judder during demanding areas as DF said? Seems more like a tricky issue to fix to me. But have they talked in any way about the performance issues? I'm very picky when it comes to framerates, so I'm still on the fence unsure if I should buy it now, somewhat broken, or wait for a patch and get the first playthrough of a possible GOTY in a perfect state, but I don't want to wait forever :/

hiex_

Banned
Whilst I appreciate them putting item descriptions in the loading screens now, part of me feels a little concerned about potential spoilers popping up haha. The slow reveal of the world is part of what made this so great.

ufo8mycat

I must be the only one that didn't notice the frame pacing issues. I am not saying it isn't there, it's just I am obviously not that sensitive and also I was so focused on the game I didn't notice it. There was only one time I recall I noticed a slight judder. Other then that it was smooth throughout the game.

Oh well - hopefully they fix this issue for those people who are sensitive to this sort of thing, but you would think it would of been addressed by now. Perhaps its more difficult to fix

Moonkeis

I noticed the annoying "frame rate of death" from entering boss clouds has been fixed. I believe this was an issue if you set the auto camera correct off.

Nameless

I've gotten addicted to PvP in the last week or so and after the patch I'm seeing an incredible increase In matches. Fought 12 fights in a little over an hour. NG+ save lvl 153, mostly Nightmare Frontier.

I've gotten addicted to PvP in the last week or so and after the patch I'm seeing an incredible increase In matches. Fought 12 fights in a little over an hour. NG+ save lvl 153, mostly Nightmare Frontier.

How do they scale the levels for the fight? I'm about level 150 too and I'm curious as to how it would handle invading players who are a much lower level. And what do you lose by invading people and dying?

SomTervo

Whaddya mean? You just need more insight. I went through the door and it was glorious

holy shit

I must be the only one that didn't notice the frame pacing issues. I am not saying it isn't there, it's just I am obviously not that sensitive and also I was so focused on the game I didn't notice it. There was only one time I recall I noticed a slight judder. Other then that it was smooth throughout the game.

Oh well - hopefully they fix this issue for those people who are sensitive to this sort of thing, but you would think it would of been addressed by now. Perhaps its more difficult to fix

Yeah I never noticed it either in my entire playthrough (8 or 9 bosses beat) – however I did notice it when co-oping with a buddy in Forbidden Woods. It was dropping a lot of frames, and began getting on my nerves. (I can't remember the last time a game's framerate bothered me, and I enjoyed AC Unity hugely.)

I was never too bothered by the original loading times, but playing tonight after the patch and it's pretty impressive. Much quicker loading, the item descriptions are cool and the weird stuttering audio around the fires (Old Yharnam and the Woods areas) is gone.

I still say there will never be a patch for frame pacing. Anyone waiting for such a fix before buying is missing out on an all time great that millions of us are enjoying. Just buy it and love it. If a patch does ever fix that issue (which most people don't even notice) then use it for your NG+ playthrough and stop being so stubborn.

Played last night after the patch, and yeah, it made a huge difference. Going back to the Hunter's Dream, in particular, is considerably faster.

What're the rules of speedrunning, anyways? If a glitch is used to get the fastest time, but then that glitch is fixed, does it basically just reset? Or are there different categories for a glitched run and a regular run?
For Dark Souls 2, any% is run off an earlier patch because any% is "no holds barred" while stuff like all bosses need DLC for 100% completion (but doesn't ban glitches otherwise).

And of course there's usually an any% category that does ban certain glitches that are too game breaking, and Dark Souls 2's No OoB/BB run is done off of current patch.

So yeah, different categories for different styles of runs.

And the various bug fixes. They never said anything about framerate being improved lol
Actually, if they fixed the memory leak issue then that is a sort of framerate improvement because I'm pretty sure the memory leak problem often caused the game to begin to chug as you kept playing for too long.

E92 M3

Do you guys get invaded only when cooping? I'd love to get invaded, but it only happens in the nightmare and that's it.

knitoe

Do you guys get invaded only when cooping? I'd love to get invaded, but it only happens in the nightmare and that's it.

You can only be invade while co-oping, sinister root chalices and/or in a zone with the bell ringing maiden which are the Nightmare areas.

zma1013

Even for fromsoft this is pretty bad. I don't remember having slowdowns and when killing a group of enemies in DeS, DS 1 & 2

Except that there was slowdown just in general throughout the games, whether you were doing anything or not.

DS2 in particular ran terribly on the PS3 which was low to mid 20s for the majority while on 360 the framerate was better but included screen tearing, which in my opinion is the ultimate no no if it happens frequently.

DS1 had several areas that ran terribly down in the teens no matter what was happening and general gameplay could often dip below 30 fps on both consoles.

Trying to remember back to Demon's Souls as it's been a long time since I've played and I can't really think of an instance of bad performance really, maybe the occassional dip here or there but I remember it running pretty solid and nothing like the Dark games, but of course, it also had a lot less going on graphically in comparison.

Bloodborne runs similarly to Demon's other than when other people are summoned in the game but it's odd as sometimes in BB I'll summon two people in and run through an area with zero framerate issues, other times I'll summon one guy in the same area and the framerate will fluctuate wildly for no apparent reason at all. Wondering if it has to do with latency or the connection between players.

E92 M3

Looking forward to jumping back into the game.
It's weird, I've played for like a dozen hours or so at least, 2 bosses in, and I feel like I haven't even BEGUN the real game yet.

The beauty of the souls games!

You can only be invade while co-oping and/or in a zone with the bell ringing maiden which are the Nightmare areas.

Ah, as I thought. I never summon help and don't like hanging out in the nightmare area.

zma1013

Ring your beckoning bell, wait to see if it spawns a Bell Maiden, then turn off your bell. If by chance you accidentally summon a co-op buddy, then send him back and viola, now you can be invaded all by yourself. There seems to be no other way to just get invaded yourself except for in those nightmare areas without the risk spawning in co-op partners.

E92 M3

Ring your beckoning bell, wait to see if it spawns a Bell Maiden, then turn off your bell. If by chance you accidentally summon a co-op buddy, then send him back and viola, now you can be invaded all by yourself. There seems to be no other way to just get invaded yourself except for in those nightmare areas without the risk spawning in co-op partners.

Thanks, I will try this :)

cgcg

This is lame. If you are going to kick people back out to the title screen, kick us to the title screen. Don't make me sit thru 3 or 4 logos.

Gbraga

I noticed the annoying "frame rate of death" from entering boss clouds has been fixed. I believe this was an issue if you set the auto camera correct off.

What exactly does the auto camera correct do? I just left it on default because I didn't quite get it, and never changed because I never noticed anything different.

squidyj

they should redo some of the assets, on your way from cathedral to hemwick the forest area has some truly fucked texture stitching and shadows.

also the pillars in yahar'gul are like..... what the fuck dude? j

Harlock

I played post patch, and was send to title screen in the middle of play because the game lost internet connection. My internet was not down. Just the game lost connection because who knows.

Feels like PC game with online DRM. Works this way now? I need to play offline to be sure not go to title screen if the connection has problem?

I played post patch, and was send to title screen in the middle of play because the game lost internet connection. My internet was not down. Just the game lost connection because who knows.

Feels like PC game with online DRM. Works this way now? I need to play offline to be sure not go to title screen if the connection has problem?

Dark souls also worked that way.

they should redo some of the assets, on your way from cathedral to hemwick the forest area has some truly fucked texture stitching and shadows.

also the pillars in yahar'gul are like..... what the fuck dude? j
Seems like a rather useless venture.

On one hand we complain that developers can't manage their budgets and they focus too much on visuals.. And then on the other hand we nitpick the shit out of some really small stuff. Good Asset creation ain't cheap.

rezuth

Man, thank goodness they changed the loading screen. The non-patched, logo loading screen was a major step backwards.

I don't understand how it was allowed to ship like this. No one questioned the fact that a game where you have to reload constantly just had a totally empty loading screen? Not even just some fancy concept art or 3D models to spin around? Amazing that this was overlooked.

Anyone know the best place to farm Blood Echoes? I'm level 68 or something around there and I'm near the final boss but I'm having a really hard time with enemies. Not so much my DMG but I just can't seem to take many hits. What should I level up, defense or hp?

I don't understand how it was allowed to ship like this. No one questioned the fact that a game where you have to reload constantly just had a totally empty loading screen? Not even just some fancy concept art or 3D models to spin around? Amazing that this was overlooked.

Anyone know the best place to farm Blood Echoes? I'm level 68 or something around there and I'm near the final boss but I'm having a really hard time with enemies. Not so much my DMG but I just can't seem to take many hits. What should I level up, defense or hp?

Mergo's Loft - Middle I think is the best place to level up. Warp to the lamp, turn left and go up the stairs, kill the birds and the dog up top, keep moving up the stairs, kill the 2 shadows of yharnham guys, then the one at the top of the stairs and continue moving. Kill the first wild boar and then keep running around and past the other 2 boars and past the 4-5 shadow of yharnham guys, just about to where you take the elevator up to fight
Mergo's wet nurse
, the boars and the shadow guys will fight one another and most will be killed, just go back and pick off the rest and rinse and repeat. Good for 50-60k blood echoes each run, be sure to equip a rune that gives you more echoes.

Kamina

Golden Boy

68 for the final boss is not impossible but generally under-leveled. What are your stats?

Dark souls also worked that way.
Did it? I know that DS2 only signs you out but you can continue playing.

Neoweee

Vitality is by far the most valuable stat in the game. Max HP, healing from vials, and the hidden "equip load" stat. Keep dumping into it, and equip Max HP runes.

How near are you to the last boss? A very late Lantern has huge echoes payoff.

playXray

Actually, it's more like an MMO - which is what the online version of BB basically is. If you don't want to put up with it, just play offline.

Neoweee

Actually, it's more like an MMO - which is what the online version of BB basically is. If you don't want to put up with it, just play offline.

Like others have said, it is a completely unjustified step down from the internet connectivity in the previous games.

This is high up on the list of things that I believe will be getting patched.

rezuth

Vitality is by far the most valuable stat in the game. Max HP, healing from vials, and the hidden "equip load" stat. Keep dumping into it, and equip Max HP runes.

How near are you to the last boss? A very late Lantern has huge echoes payoff.

I'm not super close but from what I heard I should be pretty close. I'm currently at Nightmare of Mensis and the enemies are just a huge pain.

68 for the final boss is not impossible but generally under-leveled. What are your stats?

Did it? I know that DS2 only signs you out but you can continue playing.

I'm at work (I'll update later tonight when I'm home) so I'm not sure of my level or stats but I would make a educated guess at around this.

Vitality: 30
Endurance: 20
Strength: 38
Skill: 16
Bloodtinge: 6
Arcane: 9

Neoweee

I'm not super close but from what I heard I should be pretty close. I'm currently at Nightmare of Mensis and the enemies are just a huge pain.

I'm at work (I'll update later tonight when I'm home) so I'm not sure of my level or stats but I would make a educated guess at around this.

Vitality: 30
Endurance: 20
Strength: 38
Skill: 16
Bloodtinge: 6
Arcane: 9

Honestly, dump your next 20 points into Vitality until you hit the next soft cap. Even at 20HP per level, it is fantastic, and by far the best use of points.

And keep going in that zone. Run past a bunch of stuff. Eventually you'll hit the Echo train, and some great rewards for exploration.

playXray

Literally the only thing I can think of is that they knew they were having problems with the load times and didn't have time to fix them pre-launch. In a desperate measure to shave absolutely everything they could off the load times without having to put in a proper fix, they removed all graphics, text and variables aside from a single logo. It may not seem like much, but I remember something about removing the Windows logo on the Windows boot screen for Windows 7 made boot times up to a second shorter. When you're being called out for having long load times, that one second can make a difference.

That's a total guess, but it's the only explanation I can come up with.

i avoided playing further in this game for the past few weeks waiting for this patch to hit (because if i'm going to play it, why not wait for these improvements).

well now that they've hit i have absolutely no clue where i was story wise in this game bc i've only played chalice dungeons in the past few weeks. and i have like 30 warp points open so i really have no clue where to start exploring again. that was kind of stupid of me.

Sayad

Hopefull they address frame pacing and frame rate issue during bosses with a lot of special effects around them next. Framerate gets really bad while fighting Abhorent Beast and Watchdog of the Old Lords.

Top Bottom