• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

CoG

Speaking of
Gehrman, I haven't seen him in the Hunter's Dream for a long while. I killed Rom yesterday, and I did hear him saying something about Laurence, but he was nowhere to be seen.
Now I'm beginning to think there's a glitch of some sort.

Did you check all around Hunter's Dream? He should be to the left of the house sleeping.

Yes I did and he told me that it's all over and I won or something and all I needed to do was wake up. I was given a choice and went along with it.

You can
tell him to piss off and you'll get an alternative ending

Watchdog of the Old Lords. Hardest boss I've faced yet by far. Harder than anything in the story that's for sure. Haven't got him to 50% yet and damn half health.

IISANDERII

You can
Looks like the only way to do that is for me to go through the entire game again. It doesn't even give me the option of a New Game+, just: Do the game again. Very disappointing but at least i can shortcut a lot and just go directly to the bosses. At least it didn't take away my Chalice dungeons So i can do those and then go through the game again when I'm patient again. I can also youtube stuff that I've missed.

Anyway this was my first Bloodsouls game and it was pretty good. Not that fun or rewarding but somehow still satisfying. Good game but because of its focus on attrition, i dont see myself playing another game like this in a very long time, if ever.

8/10

Kill3r7

Ah, I haven't seen him there either, when I've ran throug the area every once in a while.

I cleaned
four Bell Maidens
from one side of the area, but after I visited the Hunter's Dream the bastards returned. =/

I hated the
Unseen Village
. It was the worse area in the game for me (since I only game in short burst whenever I can find free time). I highly recommend finding the time to sit down and clearing the entire level, get everything you need and be done with it.

KevinG

Started my grinding in the lecture hall. About 10k echoes per run. Any more tips?

Haven't played in a week, so I'm still level 55.

Kill3r7

cant seem to beat
Rom the spider
...... he is one tough sob :(

There are a couple of basic strategies to take him down.
1) You take care of all the spiders prior to fighting him (at very least clear out all the ones from the first wave) or 2) Ignore the spiders and just whale away at ROM with a two handed weapon while avoiding the spiders and his two attacks.

Darkgran

I played a little bit of Demon Souls (I think I beat the first boss) wasn't really feeling it and gave up. I purchased Dark Souls and played for about 1 hour..didn't like it at all.

I decided to give Bloodborne a try because of the hype in here and some videos I watched of it.

I just beat
Rom
and I am going to say this is one of the best games I have ever played.

The combat is so much better than Dark or Demon souls. I also love the way I have to think about approaching a situation. Boss fights have been great. Love this game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I still don't know how people are struggling against non-chalice Rom. Like... how? She's a total pushover. Are you guys trying to fight her while locking-on, or something? I locked off as soon as I saw all the mobs show up because it messes up the targetting anyway, and just running around like a headless chicken until you get to her side and whack away is trivial. The only dangerous part is the AOE and she telegraphs is quite strongly.

sn00zer

Wow...i beat Bloodborne..... I honestly never planned on doing that as i figured it would be too hard....

That was straight up one of the best games Ive ever played

Stat!

Finally beat my first boss!
Beast Cleric
. That was freaking hard. Took me a few tries. Still feel like Im so underpowered.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
21a3fead-a7d7-40a6-8cc1-c2bea86ed837_zpswfguifkb.jpg

My first Souls game. My first real platinum (only other I have is Walking Dead Season 1 that was a gimme)!

Took me ages, probably around 100-105 hours. Final save was just under 95, but I reloaded cloud saves pretty often late game and in the chalices when dying a ton to bosses to avoid farming vials, paper etc.

I had a blast with it. Did it all solo, no co-op and no echo duping or anything. Just perseverance and a fair amount of legit echo farming late game and late in the chalices. Finished at level 155.

The main game I especially enjoyed. The chalice dungeons were very underwhelming in comparison. Glad I played them, but would have been better if they spend those development resources making some more areas in the main game that ended with the unique chalice bosses.

I can't wait for some good DLC and/or BB2. I tried the Dark Souls remaster and unfortunately didn't like it at all. I have it a 10+ hour shot, got past the first boss and a bit more, tried different builds etc. The combat is just too slow/methodical for my liking, and the setting is so bland compared to BB2.

Anyway, looking forward to playing some more relaxing games for a while. Probably dump most of my time in the near future into Xenoblade 3D (I'm 8-9 hours in--couldn't pry myself away from Bloodborne).

Kill3r7

My first Souls game. My first real platinum (only other I have is Walking Dead Season 1 that was a gimme)!

Took me ages, probably around 100-105 hours. Final save was just under 95, but I reloaded cloud saves pretty often late game and in the chalices when dying a ton to bosses to avoid farming vials, paper etc.

I had a blast with it. Did it all solo, no co-op and no echo duping or anything. Just perseverance and a fair amount of legit echo farming late game and late in the chalices. Finished at level 155.

The main game I especially enjoyed. The chalice dungeons were very underwhelming in comparison. Glad I played them, but would have been better if they spend those development resources making some more areas in the main game that ended with the unique chalice bosses.

I can't wait for some good DLC and/or BB2. I tried the Dark Souls remaster and unfortunately didn't like it at all. I have it a 10+ hour shot, got past the first boss and a bit more, tried different builds etc. The combat is just too slow/methodical for my liking, and the setting is so bland compared to BB2.

Anyway, looking forward to playing some more relaxing games for a while. Probably dump most of my time in the near future into Xenoblade 3D (I'm 8-9 hours in--couldn't pry myself away from Bloodborne).

Congrats!

Wholeheartedly agree about the chalice dungeons. I need to farm 2 more
Red Jelly
and I can get my platinum.

I had a blast with it. Did it all solo, no co-op and no echo duping or anything.
What happened to your insight though? I also didn't summon so when I cleared it the counter was on 99.

Jisgsaw

I still don't know how people are struggling against non-chalice Rom. Like... how? She's a total pushover. Are you guys trying to fight her while locking-on, or something? I locked off as soon as I saw all the mobs show up because it messes up the targetting anyway, and just running around like a headless chicken until you get to her side and whack away is trivial. The only dangerous part is the AOE and she telegraphs is quite strongly.

My problem was to dodge his meteorites, which he spammed like every 20 seconds on most fights I had with him, independently from what I was doing.

I strongly suspect the game to have huge RNG when it comes to bosses patterns, which can make the same boss either extremely easy of extremely hard.
My best example would be ML: if he just spams his magic and does no physical attack in his first form, you can't counter him and he's quite hard. Once he start using more physical attacks, he becomes relatively easy.
Same for his second form I think, but I can't be so sure because I only got him there once, and he was just doing very telegraphed moves easy to counter, so I destroyed him then. I heard he can be a pain in the ass in his second form though.

Melchiah

Did you check all around Hunter's Dream? He should be to the left of the house sleeping.

You can

Yes, but now I begin to think I may have missed him somehow.

Which of those options gives you the
better/true
ending?

I hated the
Unseen Village
. It was the worse area in the game for me (since I only game in short burst whenever I can find free time). I highly recommend finding the time to sit down and clearing the entire level, get everything you need and be done with it.

I definitely agree. I was so disappointed when I learned that
they weren't gone for good like the hunters.
That's the way it should have been. I guess I'll just have to do it again, so I can see if I missed something there. Then there's the H
ypogean Gaol
side as well, which is now
infested with Bullshit Maidens as well.

On a side note, I just entered the U
pper Cathedral Ward
yesterday, and was killed by the
scythe-wielding enemy at the top of the stairs, before the entrance to the building.
When I returned there,
all my Blood Echoes were gone. I take it, that the enemy just consumed them?

phen0m24

When I returned there,
all my Blood Echoes were gone. I take it, that the enemy just consumed them?
There is a
wolf right around that corner, a squid dude to the left and I think birds below.
One of them might have gotten them?

And the squid guys sound like Octodad... lol

Melchiah

There is a
wolf right around that corner, a squid dude to the left and I think birds below.
One of them might have gotten them?

And the squid guys sound like Octodad... lol

Heh. I respawned there from the nearest lantern, and killed everything in sight, yet the Blood Echoes were nowhere to be found.

thechemist

Completed this today as a first time souls player, bought this mainly due to the hype on GAF. Utterly fantastic from start to finish. I was addicted even after dying every 5 seconds in the first bonfire area, but each time I was getting better slowly. I beat the Cleric Beast after 4 attempts and I thought I may have a chance of beating this game, especially considering that I rarely play games on hard mode. After beating first and second boss I found it easier, not because the game was easier but I was improving every time.

Overall my favourite games since Last of Us and many other games I bought have been put on the back burner due to this.

Some stats regarding my completion:
- 39.5 hours to complete
- Level 85 (Focused mainly on Strength, Vitality and Endurance)
- Ran with Saw Cleaver + 10, Ludvigs +9 and Blunderbuss

I never played any Chalice Dungeons and I missed some bosses so will focus on these with my next play through (I never replay games except the MGS series).

Melchiah

Completed this today as a first time souls player, bought this mainly due to the hype on GAF. Utterly fantastic from start to finish. I was addicted even after dying every 5 seconds in the first bonfire area, but each time I was getting better slowly. I beat the Cleric Beast after 4 attempts and I thought I may have a chance of beating this game, especially considering that I rarely play games on hard mode. After beating first and second boss I found it easier, not because the game was easier but I was improving every time.

Overall my favourite games since Last of Us and many other games I bought have been put on the back burner due to this.

Some stats regarding my completion:
- 39.5 hours to complete
- Level 85 (Focused mainly on Strength, Vitality and Endurance)
- Ran with Saw Cleaver + 10, Ludvigs +9 and Blunderbuss

I never played any Chalice Dungeons and I missed some bosses so will focus on these with my next play through (I never replay games except the MGS series).

How are people tracking the time? There's no pause, so mine would probably be far from the actual gameplay time, as I've often left the game in the Hunter's Dream when I've had a break.

I'm already at level 80, eventhough I've just entered the U
pper Cathedral Ward
. It seems like my level is going to be somewhere around 100, when I reach the end.

thechemist

How are people tracking the time? There's no pause, so mine would probably be far from the actual gameplay time, as I've often left the game in the Hunter's Dream when I've had a break.

I'm already at level 80, eventhough I've just entered the U
pper Cathedral Ward
. It seems like my level is going to be somewhere around 100, when I reach the end.

Select the load game option, it will show time played.

Also I missed that section completely, I really don't know how though.

Melchiah

Select the load game option, it will show time played.

Also I missed that section completely, I really don't know how though.

Ah, I'll have to check my time there, eventhough it's not going to be accurate. Thanks for the info.

I've been consulting guides about NPCs and optional locations, so I can experience everything on a single playthrough. Particularly in a game like this, where it's easy to miss many things. I generally don't have time or interest to replay games, with few exceptions like TLOU.

Melchiah

sorry, but I'm always laughing, when people ask, where you can see your playtime.

That's an odd thing to find funny. Generally, it can be seen from the save file in the OS side, but to my recollection it's not very often visible in the game itself. Not to mention, that I haven't used the load option at all.

Fukk ya GAF!

I just beat Father Gassy. Was pretty damn intense, but I listened to what another gaffer here said and took the fight up the stairs and it was relatively easier to kill him because those tombstones trapped me in the wrong times.

Taking him up the stairs left me with no choice but to keep the fight up close and with some sickening albeit lucky dodge moves I killed him.

Kept playing before finally dying by that idiot with the machine gun and called it a day. I think this game is best for e played in small spurts, playing it for too long is just stressful. I honestly cant believe how much I am enjoying this game, I thought the difficulty would put me off since I exclusively only play on medium for most games.

sn00zer

Fukk ya GAF!

I just beat Father Gassy. Was pretty damn intense, but I listened to what another gaffer here said and took the fight up the stairs and it was relatively easier to kill him because those tombstones trapped me in the wrong times.

Taking him up the stairs left me with no choice but to keep the fight up close and with some sickening albeit lucky dodge moves I killed him.

Kept playing before finally dying by that idiot with the machine gun and called it a day. I think this game is best for e played in small spurts, playing it for too long is just stressful. I honestly cant believe how much I am enjoying this game, I thought the difficulty would put me off since I exclusively only play on medium for most games.
Father G is imo the hardest part of the game. If you can beat him you can beat anything else the game throws at you.

EDIT: In the main campaign at least...the optional chalice dungeons are another beast altogether

Father G is imo the hardest part of the game. If you can beat him you can beat anything else the game throws at you.

I doubt that.

Came across some dude praying at some altar, I read a note that said sneak attack is best, hit him once and he seemed strong as hell because my attacks werent doing any damage, plus he was fast as hell too.. Another hunter I think.

The machine gunner looked to be about the same and he took me down extremely easily too. Swear they're faster than Father G

sn00zer

I doubt that.

Came across some dude praying at some altar, I read a note that said sneak attack is best, hit him once and he seemed strong as hell because my attacks werent doing any damage, plus he was fast as hell too.. Another hunter I think.

The machine gunner looked to be about the same and he took me down extremely easily too. Swear they're faster than Father G

lol that first guy was actually an NPC....if you cant target something you can talk to it

Machine gunner and all bosses have trick to them...if they seem too hard usually you are doing something wrong

lol that first guy was actually an NPC....if you cant target something you can talk to it

Machine gunner and all bosses have trick to them...if they seem too hard usually you are doing something wrong

Yep, I was a bit too cocky with machine gunner... Sigh, gonna be hell to get back to him, I dididnt unlock any shortcuts on the way to his place and there are a ton of annoying mobs between me and him.

Another day.

sn00zer

Yep, I was a bit too cocky with machine gunner... Sigh, gonna be hell to get back to him, I dididnt unlock any shortcuts on the way to his place and there are a ton of annoying mobs between me and him.

Another day.

You can bypass him for now, youll need to take him out eventually but there are more areas to explore for now. Which is one of the hings I love about BB. If you are stuck there is always somewhere else you can go.

I got lost in Old Yarnham after the priest. It's a lot of fun, but the lack of any assistance in where you're supposed to go becomes a grind after a while.

Elandyll

Banned
Platinumed yesterday :)

Now my brain says it's time to move on (I still have Transistor, Bastion, Never Alone and Life is Strange ep 2 to play before Witcher 3 shows up), but my heart wants to linger in Yharnam.

BokehKing

Banned
OK so I put the game down for two weeks, it's finally clicking for me, opened some short cuts, where is the cleric beast? I ended up at that father guiscali guy, he whooped me but it did unlock the doll for me. I saw the pig charging at me in the sewer so I went up a ladder.

OK so I put the game down for two weeks, it's finally clicking for me, opened some short cuts, where is the cleric beast? I ended up at that father guiscali guy, he whooped me but it did unlock the doll for me. I saw the pig charging at me in the sewer so I went up a ladder.

its directly behind where those two wolves are on the bridge in central yharnam. between the wolves and the CB is a shortcut that makes it very, very easy to get back there if you missed it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What happened to your insight though? I also didn't summon so when I cleared it the counter was on 99.

I just spent it in the shop and kept it around 10-15.

Congrats!

Wholeheartedly agree about the chalice dungeons. I need to farm 2 more
Red Jelly
and I can get my platinum.

Go to the Isz dungeon rather than lower loran for the
jellies. The first two bosses in Isz are piss easy and there are two jellies in a treasure room on the third floor. Lower Loran is much harder with a tougher version of Abhorrent Beast in layer two

gunstarhero

Fukk ya GAF!

You're welcome :)

Now the game gets REAL good.
The machine gun guy is a pain to get to, but once you do you can easily cheese him. I went up there and shot him off the roof with my Repeater +1 in 3 shots.

I agree, the game is best in small bursts - I play for about 1-2 hours a few times a week and keep making steady progress.

I just beat the Witches. Super easy, but so fun leading up there. This game just gets better and better.

Now it's off to Vicar Amelia.

Having no luck with the final boss, best so far is I have got him down to a fifth of his health bar.
Tried different weapons, changing my runes etc and does not matter what play style I try I can not seem to beat him.
Hardest boss prior to him was FG and since then not really had a real nasty boss to contend with.

gunstarhero

Question: is there enough twin blood gems in this game to max out more than one weapon?

I'm focusing on Ludwigs Blade atm, and have it up to +5, but still love using the Kirk Hammer and want to push it past +3...but not at the expense of limiting the other.

Melchiah

EDIT: In the main campaign at least...the optional chalice dungeons are another beast altogether

I'd say the most hardest part so far has been S
hadow of Yharnam
for me, due to the
amount of opponents
. It was only made worse by the long journey to the battleground.

I had to raise my levels quite a bit before I returned there, and followed a guide which recommended to
kill the katana guy first, then the one with the flaming katana, and last the fireball dude.
. Even still, I felt like I beat the battle by sheer luck.

Question: is there enough twin blood gems in this game to max out more than one weapon?

I'm focusing on Ludwigs Blade atm, and have it up to +5, but still love using the Kirk Hammer and want to push it past +3...but not at the expense of limiting the other.
Yes, you can buy twin blood shards (assuming you meant blood shards) later in the game. Also you will get alot as well. But the next upgrade material, Blood Chucks are way more harder to come across.

I was never a really good Souls player (haven't finished either one) but the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoine were piss easy. Beat the former on my first try and the latter on the second one. If he was the hardest boss in the campaign I really have to do the Chalice dungeons soon for a challenge.

Top Bottom