• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

mirrored

Neo Member
I'm a little confused about the Chalice Dungeons. I've been using the same Pthumeru Chalice going from the first altar to the second to the third and now I'm on the fourth. They all seem the exact same. Do the different altars not affect anything? Is it only the chalices that matter and the altars don't'?

David___

Banned
I'm a little confused about the Chalice Dungeons. I've been using the same Pthumeru Chalice going from the first altar to the second to the third and now I'm on the fourth. They all seem the exact same. Do the different altars not affect anything? Is it only the chalices that matter and the altars don't'?

The only thing that matters are the challices that are used.

Beat the game tonight. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to a more comprehensive run using the strategy in the future to pick up everything I missed. I would buy an expansion day zero no questions asked.

Elandyll

Banned
Amygdala in the Defiled Pthumeru Chalice gave me more problems than expected, but a dozen attempts later (including one where almost dead it jumped and glitched inside a wall), I can move on to the Chalice where the Queen is...

Have to admit I did not enjoy having half my HPs tbh.

CoG

I beat it. Feels great being it was my first Souls game. I feel like I missed so much but I think I need a break for a bit before NG+.

Bryko

I never expected to love this game as much as I do; I usually get pretty easily frustrated by unfairly difficult games, but Bloodborne isn't nearly as punishing as people make it out to be. Once you get a handle on your weapon, it's not hard to make it through an area without dying.

I'm nearing the end of the game now, the only bit that I thought was truly unfair was
the section with the insight-sucking leeches in the Upper Cathedral Ward. I ended up losing all of my insight and a ton of blood vials.

I played a little of Dark Souls, but I didn't like the feel of the combat nearly as much. Might go back and check it out now.

gunstarhero

Well, after a short hiatus, and the arrival of the guidebook, I went back and killed BSB. As with every boss in this game, it felt great. I chickened out and rang the bell to call in the NPC I met in the church - but it was still a great fight.

Now I'm cautiously making my way through the Healing Church and saving some blood for Ludwigs Holy Blade.

bosseye

YES! Martyr Logarius is dead. Ugh it took me three lives and over 20 blood vials to kill this asshole. I'm so bad at this game haha :)

Ha! I got him on the 4th attempt, I'm so bad!

Give over. I used almost 90 vials and about 20 deaths on Rom before I tried a different strategy. I've died once to Martyr Logarius, it would be more but I decided to leave and come back when I'm levelled a bit higher. I fully expect him to pound me into paste at least 20 times before I figure it out or summon help.

w00zey

I'm amazed at how much I enjoyed doing up to CB in NG+. Already knowing the landscape I felt so proficient and was able to go up around and unlock the short cuts to him. I was a bit nervous about fighting him as in my first game it took me several attempts in general. I even considered trying to summon
Alfred
, part for help, part for the fun of just seeing it done another way but i decided to give it a shot. That said I got him down on my first attempt LOL.

Is this the place for noob questions?

I started this game nearly completely blind, I know very little about the souls games. I just found out you have to use your echoes when you can the chance so you don't lose them.

So, what do I buy first? Upgrade the weapons? Buy that armor stuff? Save them to level up (I still don't have an insight, so I guess I can't do that yet). I know this is probably easy to find out, but I want to keep playing right now, so I'm looking for some quick advice on what to burn these 2000 echoes on before I go back out.

autoduelist

Is this the place for noob questions?

I started this game nearly completely blind, I know very little about the souls games. I just found out you have to use your echoes when you can the chance so you don't lose them.

So, what do I buy first? Upgrade the weapons? Buy that armor stuff? Save them to level up (I still don't have an insight, so I guess I can't do that yet). I know this is probably easy to find out, but I want to keep playing right now, so I'm looking for some quick advice on what to burn these 2000 echoes on before I go back out.

You have one chance to get them back - usually either on the ground or a nearby enemy (with glowing eyes) will have them and you need to kill them to get them back.

Spend your early echoes on the armor set since you're new --it'll help. Then level a bit.

Also, don't forget to repair your weapon on occasion (it's pretty cheap, so i just make a habit of it)

Maximus.

I'm nearing the end of the game now, the only bit that I thought was truly unfair was
the section with the insight-sucking leeches in the Upper Cathedral Ward. I ended up losing all of my insight and a ton of blood vials.

Before I knew it half my fucking insight was drained

Made a ton of progress over the past few days and took down a number of bosses.

Number45

Apparently there's a big patch up! Will make my repeated attempts to down
BSB
a little quicker!

Anyone have any tips for farming antidotes? I guess the poison guys from Old Yarnham near the tower?

Number45

Wa level are you? I can help you out if you are +/- 37
I'm only about level 26 I think. Not at home at the moment (UK) so I won't get back on until quite a bit later. :(

I could spend some time clearing to level up a bit, but it doesn't seem like I'm struggling because I'm under-levelled, just that I'm not good enough. >_<

I also can't level my weapon any more at the moment, although I wonder if I should be poking with the cleaver in two hand mode. I think I'm going to spend this evening testing some of the other weapons.

Apparently there's a big patch up! Will make my repeated attempts to down
BSB
a little quicker!

Anyone have any tips for farming antidotes? I guess the poison guys from Old Yarnham near the tower?

I can help tonight too if you are within 10 levels of 34! (UK)

Tip for the boss
Use the Black Church Armour set. You shouldn't need to use more than one antidote per go, only use one if the poison bar completely fills up. Dodge to the left for all his attacks right under his arm, then hit him in the back. Rinse and repeat.
Good luck!

I'm only about level 26 I think. Not at home at the moment (UK) so I won't get back on until quite a bit later. :(

I could spend some time clearing to level up a bit, but it doesn't seem like I'm struggling because I'm under-levelled, just that I'm not good enough. >_<

I also can't level my weapon any more at the moment, although I wonder if I should be poking with the cleaver in two hand mode. I think I'm going to spend this evening testing some of the other weapons.

Well I believe 26 would be able to summon me. Either way I might be able to give you a hand later if you still need help. About how much damage are you doing per hit?

Number45

I'm not sure I have access to that armour set, so I'm now wondering if there's somewhere I haven't yet explored. At the moment it seems like the way through him is the only way forward available to me.

I'm not sure I have access to that armour set, so I'm now wondering if there's somewhere I haven't yet explored. At the moment it seems like the way through him is the only way forward available to me.

He is an optional boss. If you explore around the Cathedral Ward area you will find other paths. You need the 10000 echo key (used on a gate in the Ward) from the Hunter's Dream to get the armour set before you kill BSB

just shout if you do decide you want a hand this evening. PSN ScarletMyst

You have to
open the gate in Cathedral Ward using the key you buy from the insight messenger bath to be able to get that attire.

marcincz

Almost finished - 2 main bosses remaining and have a question. After defeating the final boss we have post-gaming or we must choose NG+?
I have 2 or 3 optional bosses to kill and wonder how it is.

I've been busy the last few nights and so I haven't played. Right now I have zero desire luring me back in. I have a horrible feeling I'll never play it again. My last bit of action was beating Father G.

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
Well I'm glad for those who beat Martyr L....we tried three times last night and died. What we saw was no-where near anything in any videos. No matter what we did, all he did was dodge, retreat and spam skulls. And when we did get close instead of engaging melee, he would spam skulls after skulls point blank knocking us back and we would have to back off and heal and he would continue just spamming left & right.

Every boss I've fought generally attacks and you adapt to dodge, roll or sidestep. He did the opposite and just trying to catch him to land a hit was just frustrating. In three co-op and three solo I don't think I saw him actually swing at me but twice. I even tried the Long Axe and he would move when I was about to strike and spam skulls again. I tried just shooting to stun and try to get close but it would stun him for like one second, he back way off and spam skulls. It was really, really frustrating......

PS...does it matter what Armor set you where that triggers anything? We wore the Executioners which we were wondering does something or what? We also went with just physical damage, not elemental but we couldn't land a hit anyways.....

just finish beating the game. I think I ran into the boss glitch on the final boss though because I beat him on my first try easily. Which was very weird because I hadn't beaten any of the other bosses on the first try. Kind of underwhelming how that happened

I want to state right out front that the fault is with me and not the game itself, but I haven't played in days because I got
Eileen the Crow
killed during the battle with
that rogue hunter
in the
graveyard

I had actually found her twice on my own, and I was playing this game very slowly and painstakingly to try and catch everything because I am almost incapable of playing a game that I know has tons of easily-missable quests. Now that I'm sure that I've ruined that quest line, I feel compelled to go back and start a new game so that I can get it right this time, but I put a whole lot of time into the first part of the game and just don't have it in me to do all of it again.

I might put it away for a year and try to come back later, but it bummed me out so much that I messed up that quest line that I just put the game away immediately and lost all will to play it.

w00zey

I want to state right out front that the fault is with me and not the game itself, but I haven't played in days because I got
Eileen the Crow
killed during the battle with
that rogue hunter
in the
graveyard

I had actually found her twice on my own, and I was playing this game very slowly and painstakingly to try and catch everything because I am almost incapable of playing a game that I know has tons of easily-missable quests. Now that I'm sure that I've ruined that quest line, I feel compelled to go back and start a new game so that I can get it right this time, but I put a whole lot of time into the first part of the game and just don't have it in me to do all of it again.

I might put it away for a year and try to come back later, but it bummed me out so much that I messed up that quest line that I just put the game away immediately and lost all will to play it.

Just save that questline for NG+.

I played through the opening sections for about 3 hours at my buddy's house last night. It's jolly. Not as hard as people make it out to be. You've just got to bend to the will of the systems. Habits carried over from easier games are what will kill you. Also, when you die repeatedly, there tends to be this urge to rush through the stuff you've already done so that you can push ahead. This "urge" (again, learned from other games) will only descend you further into the abyss. The early-game punishment is an effective tutorial.

Atmosphere and scenario remind me of a victorian Resident Evil 4. Game feels immersive in a way I'm not used to. The ultra-subtle storytelling is sublime. Before last night, I was interested in the game primarily for its aesthetics, but I walked away from it feeling pretty certain that I'll be buying it once my schedule clears up.
This is me right down to it instantly feeling like a Victorian RE4 presentation wise. Loving it despite the initial difficulty curve and once I got parrying down (for the most part, it seems like you simply can't for certain attacks?) things went way smoother. The game definitely rewards you for playing aggressively, which is the opposite to how I found was best to approach Dark Souls (which I found a slower experience than this). It's already made my recent PS4 purchase feel completely justified.

Maximus.

Cross posting, but I am conflicted on finishing all the optional areas. I have unlocked one of the last areas in the game and do not know if I want to complete all the optional areas and bosses. What are people's thoughts on finishing each area? I am enjoying the game a lot, but a part of me wants to finish it. I do not want to miss out on anything though, so that is what is causing the conflict I guess.

Well I finally beat the second boss. I still don't quite have the hang of parries but the few I pulled off cinched it for me.

But ahhhh this game really is kind of terrifying.

I was exploring the new area, C
athedral Ward I think? And I saw a glow on a body over by a fence, so I go inspect it and it's some new attire. Then all of a sudden this blue swirl appears in front of me. I jumped backwards and then was promptly lifted up into the air, unable to move. Whatever picked me up wasn't completely visible, but I made out what I think was a giant, skinny arm.
And then I died.

That's it for tonight, I think.

Number45

athedral Ward I think? And I saw a glow on a body over by a fence, so I go inspect it and it's some new attire. Then all of a sudden this blue swirl appears in front of me. I jumped backwards and then was promptly lifted up into the air, unable to move. Whatever picked me up wasn't completely visible, but I made out what I think was a giant, skinny arm.
And then I died.
When I approached that area there was a note warning of a trap. I edged closer and saw that swirl, but you can actually nip in, loot and get out before it grabs you.

Alpende

Well I finally beat the second boss. I still don't quite have the hang of parries but the few I pulled off cinched it for me.

And then I died.

Keep playing :), I had the same WTF moment at the exact spot you mentioned.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

And then I died.

Be careful when you approach corpses in the future. Better keep this in mind. ;-)

marcincz

Okay guys. Finished an hour ago. I have enough.
I would like to thanks everyone in this thread who helps me and everyone else.
For the rest who still playing. Good luck and don't give up. To be honest. This game isn't so hard like many reviewers/gamers talking about.

Finding this game winding down a bit after beating
Rom
. Seems to be funneling in and turning up the linear. Might just be cooldown after the Forbidden Forest which for my money might be one of the best things From has ever done.

Noobcraft

Well I'm glad for those who beat Martyr L....we tried three times last night and died. What we saw was no-where near anything in any videos. No matter what we did, all he did was dodge, retreat and spam skulls. And when we did get close instead of engaging melee, he would spam skulls after skulls point blank knocking us back and we would have to back off and heal and he would continue just spamming left & right.
You've just got to ride it out unfortunately. My boss fight with him was pretty spammy.
https://youtu.be/oW86B9pDcgY

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This started to click for me over the last two nights. I finally opened up some more passages in Central Yharnam, got the ability to level up my stats, and eventually succeeded in taking down the C
leric
B
east
. Huzzah! Time for that second boss, which I stumbled into twice and got demolished before encountering the first one.

Still kinda struggling with combat a bit, especially in conjunction with controlling the camera, dodging, all while attacking the intended target, etc. It seems easy for that to get confusing, especially with large bosses that end up taking up the whole screen.

ITS DONE ITS OVER I BEAT IT. (All bosses, optional bosses and true ending boss) 60+hours
Whats that, New Game +? Chalice Dungeons!? Pthumerian
Queen
!!!?...

dumbledore.gif

I can't, I just can't.

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
You've just got to ride it out unfortunately. My boss fight with him was pretty spammy.
https://youtu.be/oW86B9pDcgY

Good stuff and yea that first part is what we saw. I think looking at the video we might have tried to charge in too fast when he threw those Skulls out. Curious on why you used the Tonitrus since one site said he's strong against Fire, Bolt and Arcane. But thanks for the video link, I'll watch it a bit more for sure.

On a side note we might take a break for awhile due to all the A-Hole Invaders....we got three in 1-1/2 hrs that night, Night before we got two...same location. One person invaded us twice. So I suspect these clowns do nothing but troll while sucking down soda and a bag of chips all alone in some dark bedroom.. We're not good and frankly our first venture in this type of game and we like co-op experiences. But it's insane when someone comes in waving a +10 weapon and probably a level 90-100 taking you out in a few slashes. That's the part I wish they would patch period!

Top Bottom