• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

On a side note we might take a break for awhile due to all the A-Hole Invaders....we got three in 1-1/2 hrs that night, Night before we got two...same location. One person invaded us twice. So I suspect these clowns do nothing but troll while sucking down soda and a bag of chips all alone in some dark bedroom.. We're not good and frankly our first venture in this type of game and we like co-op experiences. But it's insane when someone comes in waving a +10 weapon and probably a level 90-100 taking you out in a few slashes. That's the part I wish they would patch period!

You could easily have at least a +9 weapon by the time you visit Cainhurst, and matchmaking is level-based.

phen0m24

Hey guys. Two questions.

1)
What's the deal with chalice dungeons? I have a bunch of chalices. I've done the 1st through 3rd headstones and am at the 4th now. I'm using the Lower Pthumeru (SP?) chalice - it's silver. Does each require a different chalice? I really just want to get the platinum in this game and move on. But I'm not sure what to do.

2)
So I'm at a point in the game where I've done some grinding. Up to level 93 - mostly strength build with LHB level 10 and Axe level 9. I beat TOR with a friend, then Nicotine
(Micolash)
and the
Upper Cathedral
area myself, and still have:

Amygdala
(for some reason I think I'm missing one or two)
Nurse
Celestial
Ebrietas
The last 2 at the Dream

I want to get stuff like the
Beast Roar and the Burial Blades
so I don't miss them in the game. I don't want to really do a NG+ if I don't have to. I have too many unplayed games staring at me. What should I do next? Dungeons again? (yawn)

Thanks all

Glenn

Melchiah

Did some farming and finally beat S
hadow of Yharnam
. After that R
om
was pretty easy.
I just repeatedly took a swipe or two with Tonitrus, and ran away ignoring the little ones.
The good thing about the latter boss battle was that you didn't have to run across the place to reach it, which made me hate the former one. I also took the easy way out, and cheesed E
ileen's
finale. Just reached the U
nseen Village
at level 78, and the respawning enemies are already starting to piss me off. I guess it's time to consult a guide and see where the B
ell Maidens
are, and possibly farm some more further on if it gets too hard.

Stat!

Oh god. Im so bad.

I finally got past the first street after a few hours. Got to a section with two large rabid wolves on a bridge, died. Back to square 1 with no blood echos. Any tips for ultra beginner? At what point, do you continue cause if you die, you have to do the whole street again which is killing me brutally. No blood vials, echos or anything.

Just got my guide in the mail.

552 pages. Beautiful.

Oh god. Im so bad.

I finally got past the first street after a few hours. Got to a section with two large rabid wolves on a bridge, died. Back to square 1 with no blood echos. Any tips for ultra beginner? At what point, do you continue cause if you die, you have to do the whole street again.

I was in the same boat as you a few days ago! Have since clocked many hours, here are some tips and things I did that made my life much easier:

• Don't fight every enemy! It's OK to run past stuff.
  • Think of each life as XP you gain as a person that allows you to better understand the map, how enemies work etc. You might be in the same street you were in 5 hours ago, but you know that street like the back of your hand, now!
  • Dodge at the exact moment you are about to take damage, not before. Dodging shouldn't always be about repositioning.
  • It's OK to be really close to an enemy. If you feel the urge to start running back and getting some distance, instead try maybe rolling behind the enemy, or under its legs, or to its side. Being close is OK.
  • That last tip works really, REALLY well for some bosses. I was struggling massively with certain ones until I tried *staying* up close and personal rather than trying to stay back.
  • If you can, try and get used to parrying with your gun. You have to do it at different times for different enemies, but if you get the technique down, it will pay dividends throughout the rest of your playthrough.
  • This is a bit more of a personal one, but I've set myself the task of having to do 5 pullups every time I die. Currently at 100+ deaths, so I've done a lot of pullups, and it helps get some of the frustration out too.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Oh god. Im so bad.

I finally got past the first street after a few hours. Got to a section with two large rabid wolves on a bridge, died. Back to square 1 with no blood echos. Any tips for ultra beginner? At what point, do you continue cause if you die, you have to do the whole street again.

That first section is the probably toughest for new players. I know that I struggled with it for a while, until the game clicked.

If you get back to the werewolves on the bridge, just run past them. On the left there is a building (watch out for the guard) with a few mobs hanging around. Go downstairs, take a left and open the door in front of you. Outside, run forward and up the steps to the gate. Open that and you have a new handy shortcut to the Central Yharnam lamp.

Keep going. I found Central Yharnam to be an absolute bitch to start with, but once you clear the first couple of bosses, you'll start to get to grips with it.

Background: I played about 10 hours of Dark Souls on PC
I played quite a bit of Bloodborne, got to level 63. I was following youtuber EpicNameBro's walkthrough. Got up to the boss L
ogarius
and died a couple times and realized I wasn't having any fun. I'm lending this game to my friend and will then sell it after he is done with it.
I dislike alot of the boss fights as I feel like the times I do beat a boss, I didn't do anything different to the many times I died before it. It doesn't feel rewarding to me when I beat them. The game would be alot better if it had less boss fights. Also, I feel like I'm fighting with the camera a lot making the game harder than it should be.
I would be able to finish it if I am able to play it consistently as a lot of it is about getting the timing and rhythm right however I'd rather spend my time on something else. My time allocated to gaming nowadays is getting smaller and smaller so I have to prioritize.
The game has a lot of great things going for it and I understand why a lot of people like it but it is definitely not for me.

[EDIT] I should also note, playing this game made me realize how the load times in console games are so bad, I remember playing GTA5 online on the PS3 was stupid slow as well. I have decided to upgrade my aging PC. Just bought a GTX 970 so I can play GTA5 online and Witcher 3. My memories of gaming on the PC have been vastly greater than on the consoles.

Stat!

Just got my guide in the mail.

552 pages. Beautiful.

I was in the same boat as you a few days ago! Have since clocked many hours, here are some tips and things I did that made my life much easier:

• Don't fight every enemy! It's OK to run past stuff.
  • Think of each life as XP you gain as a person that allows you to better understand the map, how enemies work etc. You might be in the same street you were in 5 hours ago, but you know that street like the back of your hand, now!
  • Dodge at the exact moment you are about to take damage, not before. Dodging shouldn't always be about repositioning.
  • It's OK to be really close to an enemy. If you feel the urge to start running back and getting some distance, instead try maybe rolling behind the enemy, or under its legs, or to its side. Being close is OK.
  • That last tip works really, REALLY well for some bosses. I was struggling massively with certain ones until I tried *staying* up close and personal rather than trying to stay back.
  • If you can, try and get used to parrying with your gun. You have to do it at different times for different enemies, but if you get the technique down, it will pay dividends throughout the rest of your playthrough.
  • This is a bit more of a personal one, but I've set myself the task of having to do 5 pullups every time I die. Currently at 100+ deaths, so I've done a lot of pullups, and it helps get some of the frustration out too.

Hope that helps a bit :)

That first section is the probably toughest for new players. I know that I struggled with it for a while, until the game clicked.

If you get back to the werewolves on the bridge, just run past them. On the left there is a building (watch out for the guard) with a few mobs hanging around. Go downstairs, take a left and open the door in front of you. Outside, run forward and up the steps to the gate. Open that and you have a new handy shortcut to the Central Yharnam lamp.

Keep going. I found Central Yharnam to be an absolute bitch to start with, but once you clear the first couple of bosses, you'll start to get to grips with it.

Thank you both of you. I just beat the first street (Again!). Even defeated the two dogs on the bridge. And opened that shortcut!

Would you upgrade your armor right away? And this sounds silly, but the game autosaves correct?

Also, I don't mind chatting during a game. If you want to chat and play, let me know! Would make the deaths knowing its easier to chat with someone!

Thank you both of you. I just beat the first street (Again!). Even defeated the two dogs on the bridge. And opened that shortcut!

Would you upgrade your armor right away? And this sounds silly, but the game autosaves correct?

Also, I don't mind chatting during a game. If you want to chat and play, let me know! Would make the deaths knowing its easier to chat with someone!

Those dogs can be a nightmare. Can't stand them :D

Do you mean levelling your stats? You can switch out your clothing for different sets that you pick up, but I don't think there's a way to upgrade clothing per se (unless I'm completely forgetting something obvious).

If you're muddling it with keeping your weapons repaired, then yeah definitely try to spend the ~100 echoes or so each time you go back to the Dream to keep your weapons in good shape.

Stat!

Those dogs can be a nightmare. Can't stand them :D

Do you mean levelling your stats? You can switch out your clothing for different sets that you pick up, but I don't think there's a way to upgrade clothing per se (unless I'm completely forgetting something obvious).

If you're muddling it with keeping your weapons repaired, then yeah definitely try to spend the ~100 echoes or so each time you go back to the Dream to keep your weapons in good shape.

I fortified my weapons but how do I know if they are going to break/keep them repaired?

I mean swapping out my clothing that I'm buying from that well in the dream. I haven't found any clothing in game. I don't think I've progressed far enough to begin levelling my stats...or at least I haven't found out yet.

Mendax

I fortified my weapons but how do I know if they are going to break/keep them repaired?

I mean swapping out my clothing that I'm buying from that well in the dream. I haven't found any clothing in game. I don't think I've progressed far enough to begin levelling my stats...or at least I haven't found out yet.

you can check weapon status from your inventory, just select a weapon and press the button for more details. I thinks its always written like this: 120/200 durability.
If you forget or ignore weapon repairs and the durability drops really low you will get a flashing text warning on screen "weapon at risk!" before it actually breaks.

Armor/clothing can indeed not be upgraded in this game and there are only slight differences in base stats so you will need to pick whatever one fits a situation/boss best (Fire resistance garb for fire bosses etc. especially in the late game dungeons).

You can begin leveling stats when you acquire 1 insight point, which is the second currency under your blood echoes, and return to the hunters dream.

IISANDERII

I finished it I guess? But I just woke up to the beginning of the game. Didn't even realize I was fighting the last boss, didn't seem like anything special.

Anticlimax of the year.

Melchiah

I've got a question regarding the ending and optional
bosses
... Exactly when are you supposed to
use the Umbilical Cords, and how are people using the server save file to get both endings?

Hoooooooooooooly fukk

Finally managed to kill the cleric beast and that battle was unlike anything I've ever experienced, my heart was racing and thudding the fukk out of my chest near the latter half and after I defeated him because I got so excited lol.

I feel like I'm getting a bit better at the game now ... Currently trying to beat Father Gassy and he keeps handing me my ass, i can take him to his beast form with not much problem, but after that its nearly impossible .. But I'll get it through eventually somehow, his jumping attack is so lame :(

gunstarhero

Hoooooooooooooly fukk

Finally managed to kill the cleric beast and that battle was unlike anything I've ever experienced, my heart was racing and thudding the fukk out of my chest near the latter half and after I defeated him because I got so excited lol.

I feel like I'm getting a bit better at the game now ... Currently trying to beat Father Gassy and he keeps handing me my ass, i can take him to his beast form with not much problem, but after that its nearly impossible .. But I'll get it through eventually somehow, his jumping attack is so lame :(

I found him much easier if you run to the right and up the stairs, taking the fight in a clear area. Some will argue you. Should use the gravestones as cover, but I had a much easier time seeing his attacks clearly and rolling towards him when he jumps at you.

When's he's almost dead and really picking up the pace, throw some Molotov cocktails at him.

I got Bloodborne last night. Yeah, the Groundhog Day nature of it is tiring. But I'm having some fun. Dodging, parrying and transforming the cane hasn't done much for me yet.

Matriox

I just beat Bloodborne through the normal playthrough on Wednesday and it was my first Souls style game I gave a real try to. I tried DS1 on steam when it came out but I didn't get it and gave up around 20 minutes in, but was a little more prepared for what to expect I suppose. Thoroughly enjoyed what I played, but I'm a bit burnt out now and don't particularly want to play through NG+. I found the last 3 bosses before the final boss were easier than most I had faced the entire game, but I think its just that I got better. I was able to 1 shot
The One Reborn, Micolash, and Wet Nurse
, I didn't even look up the fights before facing them which made me feel pretty good. Overall I loved Bloodborne, and I'll definitely return to play NG+, but I'm taking a break to play some other games I've accumulated on my backlog.

PaulloDEC

So I'm fairly far along in the game and I've not touched anything to do with Chalice Dungeons. Can someone lay out for me in simple terms what they're all about? What are the benefits to doing them? What are the risks? Are they something you have to do all in one hit, or can they be returned to at your leisure? What's with the all the items I'm getting that reference them?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Oh god. Im so bad.

I finally got past the first street after a few hours. Got to a section with two large rabid wolves on a bridge, died. Back to square 1 with no blood echos. Any tips for ultra beginner? At what point, do you continue cause if you die, you have to do the whole street again which is killing me brutally. No blood vials, echos or anything.

Tips?

Don't do the whole street, just run. Attack only enemies that are alone, or in small groups you can easily handle.

After the initial hurdle, you will get a few more levels under your belt and and few more tools at your disposal. Things will go smoother from there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've got a question regarding the ending and optional
bosses
... Exactly when are you supposed to
use the Umbilical Cords, and how are people using the server save file to get both endings?
Eat them at any time before facing Gehrman.

As for the other, I dunno. I got all three endings legit because I'm not a scrub or silly trophy hunter :p Hell I didn't even know what eating the cords would do...

Melchiah

Eat them at any time before facing Gehrman.

As for the other, I dunno. I got all three endings legit because I'm not a scrub or silly trophy hunter :p Hell I didn't even know what eating the cords would do...

Thanks for the info. How did you get
all three endings?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks for the info. How did you get
all three endings?
I beat NG+ and then NG++? :p Game is worth it, plus it's really fast when you know where to go and what's optional and what isn't. In NG++ I beelined to the ending outside of the Eileen sidequest (which I failed to get right in the past two playthroughs), took very little time.

I'll play it again with a new character some time.

phen0m24

I HATE
MERGO AND HER FREAKING CLONE PSYCHO JERKFACE

that is all

So infuriating. Can't get behind her. I'm dodging toward her to roll behind. She spins in a second and whirlwinds me.

I've had her below 20% health two or three times but I keep getting rocked.

HATE YOU MERGO HAAAAAATE

Moonkeis

Currently going through
Nightmare
and what a pain in the ass area. I was ok with playing C
ainhurst
with invaders but went offline for this after dealing with 4 players dropping in. I think PVP is fun but not when I'm trying to progress.

Melchiah

Upload your save prior to facing the "last boss" to PS+. Quit game immediately after killing him and replace your game save with the one you uploaded online earlier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQGW50KwvoQ

Thanks. I'll do that when the time comes.

I beat NG+ and then NG++? :p Game is worth it, plus it's really fast when you know where to go and what's optional and what isn't. In NG++ I beelined to the ending outside of the Eileen sidequest (which I failed to get right in the past two playthroughs), took very little time.

I'll play it again with a new character some time.

I very rarily replay games, particularly ones that are as long and demanding as this. Not to mention, that Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight are just around the corner. =)

EDIT: On a side note, just cleared U
nseen Village
off the B
ell Maidens
. I take it, that they won't be there when I return? I also cheesed the three
Hunters
by using the
cell trick.
Next to the
Upper Cathedral Ward.

sn00zer

I really hope the next Souls game isn't horror. There is a real sense of "whimsy" in some of the designs that could be explored further. Some of the shit is straight up Spirited Away

Jisgsaw

I HATE
MERGO AND HER FREAKING CLONE PSYCHO JERKFACE

that is all

So infuriating. Can't get behind her. I'm dodging toward her to roll behind. She spins in a second and whirlwinds me.

I've had her below 20% health two or three times but I keep getting rocked.

HATE YOU MERGO HAAAAAATE

Just rune around in a large circle around the borders of the area when the fog is up, and wait for it to clear up.
The clone is static, so as long as you run and are far away from the original, you won't be hit.

Oh god. Im so bad.

Those wolves are a bitch if you try to fight them normally. It'll only end in your death. Lure them down the stairs and to the doorway and kill them from inside it since they can't get through. Careful though, they can still jump/claw at you from a decent distance even while you're inside.

Other than that, have you leveled up at all yet? Are you using visceral attacks? At first I had to kill easy guys and then go buy blood vials just to have enough. That won't be an issue for too long though. Don't get too discouraged. I suck at these kind of games too, so I played and died and played and died and then died some more and for about 7 hours now I've been on the same first area you are. At this point I can run through pretty much the entire area and destroy everything in my path and I can't carry any more blood vials. Just keep trying and you'll get the hang of it.

Melchiah

The fucking B
ell Maidens reapperead
in the U
nseen Village when I returned.
Talk about an annoying game design decision.

phen0m24

Thank you guys - I had
run around the arena I was just trying the direct route to hit her. I just took my time and committed myself to a war of attrition.

TOAST!

Then I said, Oh
Celestial Emmisary
? You've got a date with the Holy Blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-RsrF_V_w

Ebrietas
took two or three tries - but now she's DONE.

Now, I'm staring at these chalices. I don't want to play this again (NG+). I want to get the plat and be done. This is a Last of Us situation.

Gerhman and the moon weirdo can wait.

Melchiah

Did you talk to
Gehrman at the great tree
in the Hunter's Dream after that?

Speaking of
Gehrman, I haven't seen him in the Hunter's Dream for a long while. I killed Rom yesterday, and I did hear him saying something about Laurence, but he was nowhere to be seen.
Now I'm beginning to think there's a glitch of some sort.

Toxi

Banned
Speaking of
Gehrman, I haven't seen him in the Hunter's Dream for a long while. I killed Rom yesterday, and I did hear him saying something about Laurence, but he was nowhere to be seen.
Now I'm beginning to think there's a glitch of some sort.
He'll sometimes be gone, sometimes be sleeping in his wheelchair in the backyard dreaming about Laurence. He's easy to miss when he's sleeping, so I understand why you were confused.

Toxi

Banned
I take it, that place isn't accessible? What about the locked gate in there?
By backyard I mean the area around the stump; he'll be occasionally sleeping close to the fence in that general area. The locked gate won't be accessible until close to the end of the game.

Moonkeis

The fucking B
ell Maidens reapperead
in the U
nseen Village when I returned.
Talk about an annoying game design decision.

If you are using a guide or walk through, after getting frustrated with that area, I just watched ENBs play through which made it much easier.

Melchiah

By backyard I mean the area around the stump; he'll be occasionally sleeping close to the fence in that general area. The locked gate won't be accessible until close to the end of the game.

Ah, I haven't seen him there either, when I've ran throug the area every once in a while.

If you are using a guide or walk through, after getting frustrated with that area, I just watched ENBs play through which made it much easier.

I cleaned
four Bell Maidens
from one side of the area, but after I visited the Hunter's Dream the bastards returned. =/

Top Bottom