• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Beat the game yesterday. Feels good. I think I'm going to use a walkthrough for my NG+ because I missed so many things and didn't really use items outside of blood vials. Gotta see it all, brehs.

I really didn't know what to imagine going in to this game. I thought it could be easily be one that falls off my mind and doesn't get beaten but I did it. Great game. Those bosses were something else.

Maximus.

Beat the
Witch
on my second try. Pretty easy, once you figure out how that boss mechanic works. Now in the Forbidden Forest and this place is a fucking maze, haha.

bluehat9

How many different endings are there? Just got to the credits. Is this a 'bad ending'?

refused to let gehreim wake me up, fought and killed him, got swallowed up by an alien monster thing, and then was in the wheelchair with the doll saying the hunt is starting over.

There's another theory that I really like floating around...
Some people think that the mother was out looking for Gascoigne, but instead ran in to a large group of monsters/townspeople/whatever. They seem to hate humans, so naturally they ran up and mauled her, possibly pushing her through the railing and on to the top of the morgue, where her body is now laying. Gascoigne heard her screams and came running. Seeing his wife die was the last push he needed to become absolutely blood-addled/insane, and that's why you see him chopping up the creatures when you approach; they killed his wife, and he went mad with grief and rage.

Seems pretty fanfiction-tier to me, but who knows.

Showaddy

Anyone else completed Cainhurst and
given the letter to Alfred?

Seeing the calm and polite Alfred screaming, soaked in blood and howling with laughter over the Queen's pulped body was one of the scariest moments of the game for me. For real.

Kill3r7

How many different endings are there? Just got to the credits. Is this a 'bad ending'?

refused to let gehreim wake me up, fought and killed him, got swallowed up by an alien monster thing, and then was in the wheelchair with the doll saying the hunt is starting over.

endings.

mirrored

Neo Member
If I want to make the Old Yharnam Hunter
Djura an ally, can I still run through Old Yharnam to the blood starved beast with him shooting at me and just not go up the ladder to him? Or do I have to somehow get to Hypogean Gaol to do that?

Djura an ally, can I still run through Old Yharnam to the blood starved beast with him shooting at me and just not go up the ladder to him? Or do I have to somehow get to Hypogean Gaol to do that?

You can
run through Old Yharnam to the blood-starved beast and kill it. Then once you are taken to Hypogean Gaol, kill the Darkbeast Paarl. Open that gate which leads to Old Yharnam and climb the ladder. Doesnt matter if you shoots at you before. You cant be seem by him before you walk up behind him. I heard, its a bug maybe, coming from the Blood-starved beast lamp post might work (?) no idea since I never done that before.

Melchiah

Just entered
Cainhurst
castle yesterday, as I got fed up with trying to beat S
hadow
of Y
harnam
. I've opened the "short cuts" there, but it still takes far too long to reach the boss from the lantern. Luckily, the game offers alternative choices of where to go, so you can proceed elsewhere, but it would be better if there was a lantern right next to each boss encounter. If there was, I would actually experiment with different tactics more, whereas now I just want to look up the best strategy from YouTube after a couple of tries, as I have no interest in running the same gauntlet to the boss again and again.

CLEEK

It's mainly trying to get near
Rom
and being jumped by the
spiders

I can dodge the missiles without too much trouble, but that in combo with spiders pouncing on my ass is too much.

When I do get near him, I end up getting pounced by two of the fuckers mid swing. Got him down to third phase though, so I'll just have to be patient.

When I beat him, there were two things I did differently from previous, failed attempts that suddenly made the fight so much easier.

If you have found it, the Tonitrus is great in this, as both Rom and his spiders seem very weak to electric attacks. Or you can use Bolt Paper on a regular weapon. The other is having a one-handed main weapon in your right hand and a torch in your left hand, as the spiders back away from the torch. They can still jump at you from the side/rear, but you can shepherd them away if they're facing you.

Just take the fight slowly, picking off spiders (who can be one-hit killed with the L1 charged Tonitrus) and sprint towards Rom when he does his ice missile thing attack.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You need to kill Darkbeast Paarl as far as I know, and the only way to do that early on is to get abducted by the snatchers to the Hypogean Gaol, and the snatchers only spawn after Blood-starved Beast is dead. So yeah, you kinda have to run through Old Yharnam and avoid his gunfire at first.

It might work if you skip BSB, kill Paarl way later, after you go to Unseen Village the "normal" way and unlock the shortcut doors, but I've never tried.

Also, keep in mind that if you want to keep exploring the part of Old Yharnam that's in his line of sight, he will become hostile if you attack the enemies even if you befriended him. I learned that the hard way after the stupid hunter down below attacked me and I started defending myself, lol. Not that there's much point in keeping him friendly after he gave you the badge and gesture anyway, but yeah.

Just entered
Cainhurst
castle yesterday, as I got fed up with trying to beat S
hadow
of Y
harnam
. I've opened the "short cuts" there, but it still takes far too long to reach the boss from the lantern. Luckily, the game offers alternative choices of where to go, so you can proceed elsewhere, but it would be better if there was a lantern right next to each boss encounter. If there was, I would actually experiment with different tactics more, whereas now I just want to look up the best strategy from YouTube after a couple of tries, as I have no interest in running the same gauntlet to the boss again and again.
You can pretty much speed run through all the enemies... also, I'm assuming you unlocked the elevator shortcut?

CLEEK

Is it recommended to save up for Ludwig's Holy Blade?

Fuck yeah. It's been my main ever since unlocking it.

If you like heavy hitting, two handed, versatile, long reaching murder machines, then this sword is for you. R2 charge is awesome, the L2,L2 combo is stupidly destructive.

sam777

Fuck yeah. It's been my main ever since unlocking it.

If you like heavy hitting, two handed, versatile, long reaching murder machines, then this sword is for you. R2 charge is awesome, the L2,L2 combo is stupidly destructive.

Sounds good considering the Axe is my main so far, will have to get it then.

CLEEK

Sounds good considering the Axe is my main so far, will have to get it then.

They complement each other well. The Axe's R2 sweeping horizontal attacks are good for long range crowd control, the Ludwig is a very good all rounder with a powerful punch.

Beat the
Witch
on my second try. Pretty easy, once you figure out how that boss mechanic works. Now in the Forbidden Forest and this place is a fucking maze, haha.

Yep! It's HUGE and one of the greatest levels in all of video games to me. The first part is fun in that Resident Evil 4 meets Demon's Souls kind of way. But the second area is what does it for me.

If you've ever feared getting lost in woods irl, or have a phobia towards a certain animal in particular, the Forbidden Forest is going to be hell for you. It f'd me up. I was all stressy when walking through at a snail's pace. It was only when I went against all of my Souls training (to be defensive in unknown areas) and said "F' it! YOLO!" and went on the offensive that I made any real progress in that place.

That tread lightly, be all defensive for fear of what's out there in the grass and behind every corner was paralyzing. F' that. I had forgotten that I'm the hunter. I grew a pair, ran off the path, through the tall grass, luring out the enemies lying in wait, I ran towards the sounds of the screeching, into enemy dens... And I cut them all down!

I cut my way through that maze, collecting runes, unlocking shortcuts, amazed at my luck (or maybe my hunter instincts finally took over) as I happened to find myself perched on a ledge a couple of times above one or two of the real nasty enemies of that area, and got the drop on my prey.

That was my second biggest "click moment" in Souls since DeS way back when I got how I was supposed to play the game. I mean, I've had to rush down bosses, but never rush down an unfamiliar level. It's just what worked for me here. I didn't like that feeling of being hunted anymore.

This game is something special.

Oni Jazar

Yep! It's HUGE and one of the greatest levels in all of video games to me. The first part is fun in that Resident Evil 4 meets Demon's Souls kind of way. But the second area is what does it for me.

If you've ever feared getting lost in woods irl, or have a phobia towards a certain animal in particular, the Forbidden Forest is going to be hell for you. It f'd me up. I was all stressy when walking through at a snail's pace. It was only when I went against all of my Souls training (to be defensive in unknown areas) and said "F' it! YOLO!" and went on the offensive that I made any real progress in that place.

That tread lightly, be all defensive for fear of what's out there in the grass and behind every corner was paralyzing. F' that. I had forgotten that I'm the hunter. I grew a pair, ran off the path, through the tall grass, luring out the enemies lying in wait, I ran towards the sounds of the screeching, into enemy dens... And I cut them all down!

I cut my way through that maze, collecting runes, unlocking shortcuts, amazed at my luck (or maybe my hunter instincts finally took over) as I happened to find myself perched on a ledge a couple of times above one or two of the real nasty enemies of that area, and got the drop on my prey.

That was my second biggest "click moment" in Souls since DeS way back when I got how I was supposed to play the game. I mean, I've had l rush down bosses, but never rush down an unfamiliar level. It's just what worked for me here. I didn't like that feeling of being hunted anymore.

This game is something special.

That's awesome. I took my time during that entire part. It was the most stressful and nerve wrecking thing I've ever done. Luckily I made it through without dying. I was thurough but I probably missed something but fuck I don't want to go back!

Kitbash

If you've ever feared getting lost in woods irl, or have a phobia towards a certain animal in particular, the Forbidden Forest is going to be hell for you.
Just crept through this level for the first time and found myself constantly reaching for the Map button. Except there isn't one.

Melchiah

You can pretty much speed run through all the enemies... also, I'm assuming you unlocked the elevator shortcut?

I've opened both short cuts in the woods, but it's still tiresome to go all the way from there to the boss. That's my main gripe with the game. It wouldn't make the challenge any easier, just less tiresome, if there were lanterns just before the boss encounters. I have no problem with trying to beat a boss several times, but I do have a problem with running through the same path again and again to reach the battleground. It's repetitive and pointless.

Beat
Rom
on my 4th try last night. Much easier than I expected. Got to the Old Yharnam Chapel checkpoint before I had to stop. Fuck those respawning enemies.

WGMBY

You cant be seem by him before you walk up behind him. I heard, its a bug maybe, coming from the Blood-starved beast lamp post might work (?) no idea since I never done that before.

Confirmed, I came from the
BSB lamp and was able to interact with him

I'm at t
cainhurst
and still don't know how to find or use a carryll rune in that last slot... ?

The fourth slot are
covenant
runes. There's only a few in the game, and they come from various places. They don't offer any sort of buff, so you're not missing out on stats.

Cess007

That's awesome. I took my time during that entire part. It was the most stressful and nerve wrecking thing I've ever done. Luckily I made it through without dying. I was thurough but I probably missed something but fuck I don't want to go back!

This is me. I'm sure i missed a couple of things and loot, but hell if i go back to that place D:

I managed to finally get to the first boss last night (found that route that puts you through a building on the other side of the werewolves so you can
get them stuck in the doorway
, somehow I missed it before) and uhhhh man this is my first Souls-ish game and I've always heard the bosses are pretty extreme design-wise but man this thing was kind of terrifying. The screeching scared my dog across the house, hahah.

Managed to kill it after four or five tries though, so not too bad. Time for my rematch with
Father G
after work. As Shulk would say, I'm really feeling it.

I was going strong with this game...and then my 3DS took over. Hopefully the patch (that'll be here eventually...hopefully...) will pull me back in.

Melchiah

Goddam L
ogarius
killed me with a single strike. I'm not really looking forward to going all the way through the
rooftops
to reach the battleground.

w00zey

I beat the game this morning. Got the "true" ending. Felt really satisfying and almost a relief to have it done. Not in a sense of I don't want to play this anymore but more damn I didn't think I could do this.

I really enjoyed the game as my first souls experience. I probably spent more time in central yharnam just going up to the bonfire and back just to get used to the combat and level up then needed but I also was getting my ass handed to me by CB and it was actually enjoyable to become so proficient at that area.

I'm not sure I care to go backwards to DS2 but definitely look forward to all games moving forward. I don't remember a game where during boss battles and even a lot of just running around that I would constantly find my heart beating really fast.

Started NG+ and of course the pressure is right back on. The doll isn't alive in the dream so i can't spend the 230k souls I have. I'm hoping I can slowly make my way to CB and then use the knowledge or whatever the mat is to warp back.

mirrored

Neo Member
You need to kill Darkbeast Paarl as far as I know, and the only way to do that early on is to get abducted by the snatchers to the Hypogean Gaol, and the snatchers only spawn after Blood-starved Beast is dead. So yeah, you kinda have to run through Old Yharnam and avoid his gunfire at first.

It might work if you skip BSB, kill Paarl way later, after you go to Unseen Village the "normal" way and unlock the shortcut doors, but I've never tried.

Also, keep in mind that if you want to keep exploring the part of Old Yharnam that's in his line of sight, he will become hostile if you attack the enemies even if you befriended him. I learned that the hard way after the stupid hunter down below attacked me and I started defending myself, lol. Not that there's much point in keeping him friendly after he gave you the badge and gesture anyway, but yeah.

Crap, I killed
all the enemies in Old Yharnarm, including the hunter, but never went up the ladder to him. So he's going to be hostile after I return after killing Darkbeast Paarl
?

mirrored

Neo Member
I beat the game this morning. Got the "true" ending. Felt really satisfying and almost a relief to have it done. Not in a sense of I don't want to play this anymore but more damn I didn't think I could do this.

I really enjoyed the game as my first souls experience. I probably spent more time in central yharnam just going up to the bonfire and back just to get used to the combat and level up then needed but I also was getting my ass handed to me by CB and it was actually enjoyable to become so proficient at that area.

I'm not sure I care to go backwards to DS2 but definitely look forward to all games moving forward. I don't remember a game where during boss battles and even a lot of just running around that I would constantly find my heart beating really fast.

Started NG+ and of course the pressure is right back on. The doll isn't alive in the dream so i can't spend the 230k souls I have. I'm hoping I can slowly make my way to CB and then use the knowledge or whatever the mat is to warp back.

I was in a similar situation. Don't even risk it. Get the
Madman's Knowledge in the sewers
then go back to the Hunter's Dream.

w00zey

I was in a similar situation. Don't even risk it. Get the
Madman's Knowledge in the sewers
then go back to the Hunter's Dream.

I beat the game before work so I didn't really get a chance to look very well. I have a bunch I never used in my first play through. Can I use one of them?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Crap, I killed
all the enemies in Old Yharnarm, including the hunter, but never went up the ladder to him. So he's going to be hostile after I return after killing Darkbeast Paarl
?
Nah, pretty sure you're fine.
If you come to him from the back after killing Paarl, he'll be friendly once you go up the ladder. And since you have no reason to return to the rest of Old Yharnam (the part where he shoots at you the first time), then he shouldn't become hostile so you can keep him alive if you want.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I put a couple hours in, and I am pretty awful. Can only get as far as the two big wolf beasts on the bridge. I'm frustrated by the relatively long animations for actions, I feel like I'm often waiting for an animation to finish while I'm needing to proceed onto another move/action. I don't find combat nearly as fluid as I feel I should.

I'll probably quickly sideline this in favor of Shovel Knight tonight. Come back to Bloodborne later and see if I can get any farther.

All I have to say is, fuck V
icar
, L
ogarius
, S
hadows
and a big middle finger to M
icolash (for spawning that stupid ass 1 hit attack multiple times
. Apart from those 4, everything was pretty solid and manage to deal with the rest of the bosses on my 2nd tries. Only need to beat Wet Nurse and maybe try to beat the bosses in Upper Catherdral Ward but aint got the heart to do it, I just want to finish the game.

Gotta say, for a guy who sucked at Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, I'm kind of proud of actually managing to almost finish a FromSoft "souls" type game. Bring on BB II!!!

w00zey

I put a couple hours in, and I am pretty awful. Can only get as far as the two big wolf beasts on the bridge. I'm frustrated by the relatively long animations for actions, I feel like I'm often waiting for an animation to finish while I'm needing to proceed onto another move/action. I don't find combat nearly as fluid as I feel I should.

Those two wolves caused me so much havoc. I ran right past those fuckers to unlock the run to the cleric beast after continually dying to them. remember this though dogs only have forward attacks so you can just pop back then pop in.

As far as the animations well that is kinda the game. That said I started with the saw blade which feels to me the most hack hack roll not having to wait for a swing to be done.

I think though that what you dislike is what most people clamor for. A more technical experience where there are consequences to the wrong action.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think though that what you dislike is what most people clamor for. A more technical experience where there are consequences to the wrong action.

Oh, I'm sure. I'm going to try to persevere and get the hang of the game's rhythms but it's beginning to push my patience a tad.

I'll probably quickly sideline this in favor of Shovel Knight tonight. Come back to Bloodborne later and see if I can get any farther.

I found them really tricky. You don't actually need to fight them, though - there's another way to get past them and the bridge behind them doesn't actually have anything there except another way into the sewers. If you really want to beat them though, just toss a few Molotov's at them, the fuckers burn up good.

joecanada

Your character is very wimpy early on but you get very powerful later and you will run through those sections for fun later.. Try locking on to most enemies and experiment dodging side ways and forward, back. Some enemies come at you with two, three attacks and this is your opportunity to dodge say left twice to get behind them. Sometimes you dodge back but then need to rush forward to close quickly. And finally practice weapon moves. Some charge attacks work great like a thrust as they walk toward you. Sometimes a quick R2 without holding it works better. And never get greedy with striking or try to take on multiple enemies at the beginning... Instead use pebbles to lure them in..

This coming from a first ttimer who died at cleric beast like 10 times and haven't lost a boss fight more than three times since... It took me a lot of just practice dodging around

Number45

Took on
BSB
a few times this evening. First time I took him down to a sliver (and I do mean a sliver, I couldn't see any yellow on his health bar) before he got me. Since then I can't get close - his moves are tricky to read (and avoid) and backing up into a pillar cost me more than once.

One tip though, draw him back towards the entrance so that you can guarantee you'll be able to pick up your echoes before he gets to you.

Decided to explore the entirety of Old Yarnham (at least until that point) to farm some echoes and level up a little - clearing out that area is pretty quick and relatively risk free. Will take a little break and see if I can't come up with a better strategy - I have equipped the poison resist (charred) set and bumped endurance a little to help with that but it seems next to impossible to avoid being poisoned entirely.

Took on
BSB
a few times this evening. First time I took him down to a sliver (and I do mean a sliver, I couldn't see any yellow on his health bar) before he got me. Since then I can't get close - his moves are tricky to read (and avoid) and backing up into a pillar cost me more than once.

One tip though, draw him back towards the entrance so that you can guarantee you'll be able to pick up your echoes before he gets to you.

Decided to explore the entirety of Old Yarnham (at least until that point) to farm some echoes and level up a little - clearing out that area is pretty quick and relatively risk free. Will take a little break and see if I can't come up with a better strategy - I have equipped the poison resist (charred) set and bumped endurance a little to help with that but it seems next to impossible to avoid being poisoned entirely.

I would suggest rolling into his attacks.

Number45

I would suggest rolling into his attacks.
Yeah, I had some some success with rolling into him but some of his volleys cover a huge distance (and I'm not sure can be interrupted). He has a move that's fairly well telegraphed (though with a short window to react) where it's pretty easy to stagger him for an visceral attack but it seemed pretty random as to how often this would get used during the encounter.

Once the slow poison kicks in it all gets a bit frantic trying to antidote and heal up. Lack of antidotes is going to be another problem soon, I'll have to see if I can avoid using more than one per attempt.

Never mind! It doesn't seem impossible, and I can get there in no time (and get some blood shards in the process).

On the subject of blood shards - can I combine them to get the twin version or is it a different pickup entirely?

I was about to quit on the first boss but I manage. Now I feel lots of satisfaction beating the bosses. I'm at the
moonlight Lake boss now.

It's mainly trying to get near
Rom
and being jumped by the
spiders

I can dodge the missiles without too much trouble, but that in combo with spiders pouncing on my ass is too much.

When I do get near him, I end up getting pounced by two of the fuckers mid swing. Got him down to third phase though, so I'll just have to be patient.

You don't need to dodge the missiles, just stand still or move in the opposite direction after they are shot. And I picked off the spiders 1 by 1 then took on ROM as he was undefended. The spiders will drop 3 times but if you take them out it makes rom much easier

Yeah, I had some some success with rolling into him but some of his volleys cover a huge distance (and I'm not sure can be interrupted). He has a move that's fairly well telegraphed (though with a short window to react) where it's pretty easy to stagger him for an visceral attack but it seemed pretty random as to how often this would get used during the encounter.

Once the slow poison kicks in it all gets a bit frantic trying to antidote and heal up. Lack of antidotes is going to be another problem soon, I'll have to see if I can avoid using more than one per attempt.

Never mind! It doesn't seem impossible, and I can get there in no time (and get some blood shards in the process).

On the subject of blood shards - can I combine them to get the twin version or is it a different pickup entirely?
Toss blood cocktails. He will aggro whereever you threw it at, allowing you a few seconds to attack. Fire paper and Molotov are useful. As mention above, step towards his attack. Personally keeping your distance is harder. You want to be agressive and attempt to be close to medium. And medium whenever you have to use an antidote.

And about the blood shards, no. It's a different pick up

Number45

Toss blood cocktails. He will aggro whereever you threw it at, allowing you a few seconds to attack. Fire paper and Molotov are useful. As mention above, step towards his attack. Personally keeping your distance is harder. You want to be agressive and attempt to be close to medium. And medium whenever you have to use an antidote.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to streamline my quick items so that I can switch between them more efficiently.

And about the blood shards, no
Cool, thanks again. I guess I might as well use them on weapons I'm not maining.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, second boss is kicking my ass. After 2 or 3 attempts I end up running out of pots and have to go farm some more.

I really like the game but the difficulty is really shitting on my fun. Wish there was a lower difficulty or something.

Man, second boss is kicking my ass. After 2 or 3 attempts I end up running out of pots and have to go farm some more.

I really like the game but the difficulty is really shitting on my fun. Wish there was a lower difficulty or something.
Father G? If so he is there to "teach" players to parry using the gun. The vast majority of his moves are easily able to be parry even when he
transformed into a beast. The music box will stun him, however it causes him to transform faster. Molotov is effective but slow when thrown and he is very fast.

Top Bottom