• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

My favorite thing about BB is the world design. I love the loops and arcs that come back around to provide shortcuts and secrets. I find this intelligent world design to be extremely satisfying as it provides tangible rewards for exploring while simultaneously allowing areas to become familiar without feeling stale.

The most disappointing thing about BB is the lack of interesting loot. There's too much emphasis on consumables and materials. I love that the game has many different weapons and even more armor sets, but the stats in general seemed unimportant. I only found myself looking for specific stats once and that was simply stacking frenzy res for the blood stone near the end of the game (and with 340, or something like that, I didn't seem all too beneficial). Add Diabloesque loot stats and I'd be I'd be in heaven.

Overall, BB is the best game I've played since TLoU on PS3 nearly 2 years ago. I might give Dark Souls 2 a go later this summer after I've exhausted Witcher 3 and Destiny's latest expansion.
If you loved the world design, I'd really suggest Dark Souls 1 or Demons' over DS2. Even the people who like DS2 would hopefully admit the level design was sorely lacking and frustrating.

All the Souls games will scratch your loot itch though, lots more weapons and choices and stuff, just in general. As for your desire for Diablo loot though, that's what Bloodborne gems could've been. But they're more just slight bonuses. *shrug*

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anybody playing this game without helmet/hats on?

'Cause I just love the way my Huntress' hair looks flowing around, lol. It's so pretty, one of very few things that are pretty in Bloodborne, hahaha.

And it's always a hoot seeing my Huntress' face getting blackened with all the blood too.

danowat

Banned
Anybody playing this game without helmet/hats on?

'Cause I just love the way my Huntress' hair looks flowing around, lol. It's so pretty, one of very few things that are pretty in Bloodborne, hahaha.

And it's always a hoot seeing my Huntress' face getting blackened with all the blood too.

Or nothing at all!, makes it a bit harder!

Either that or my huntress looks good in the complete Doll outfit.

marcincz

I beat
Rom
on Saturday.
Easy battle, however I need approx. 10 attempt to defeat him.
Currently I am on 58 lvl and it's closer to the end, than further, I think.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Or nothing at all!, makes it a bit harder!

Either that or my huntress looks good in the complete Doll outfit.

That Doll outfit is so bloody cute.

I dislike the skirt however, looked goofy.

I beat
Rom
on Saturday.
Easy battle, however I need approx. 10 attempt to defeat him.
Currently I am on 58 lvl and it's closer to the end, than further, I think.

Does not compute, lol.

In Central Yarnham? There's
Cleric Beast, who's the dude with the malformed arm on the bridge
, and
Father Gascoigne, who's basically at the end of the area (you need to clear him to progress to the next area)

Aah ok, thanks - I have blasted both of those, I thought you meant there was another before FG. I saw the pig lurking in the sewers and was just all "fuck dat".

SeppOCE

Pretty fun. The lore and gameplay is a lot more deep than I expected and there's lots of exploring to do, definitely worth my time. I must admit though I'm slow with these sort of games and only seem to come back every now and then but it's a purchase I'm extremely happy about.

Number45

Aah ok, thanks - I have blasted both of those, I thought you meant there was another before FG. I saw the pig lurking in the sewers and was just all "fuck dat".
He's an easy kill if you approach from the right (i.e. not front) side. He's guarding some loot as well, although I think you can pick it up in another area of Central Yarnham too.

What specifically are you struggling with in the fight?

As for co-op people dying quicker than you, the co-op health penalty means you can easily get one shot by a lot of the attacks.

I seem to get minced going with either strategy (
killing the spiders or avoiding them entirely
). I'm struggling to get close enough to
Rom
to be able to land hits.

Guess I'll just need to keep trying and get lucky eventually!

danowat

Banned
Rom
to be able to land hits.

I completely ignored the spiders and just wailed on Roms "tail", and when he flipped or sent down the rocks, just ran around dodging, one shotted it, it was very easy I found.

Two, eh? I only beat one I think (
the octopus on the bridge
).

In Central Yarnham? There's
Cleric Beast, who's the dude with the malformed arm on the bridge
, and
Father Gascoigne, who's basically at the end of the area (you need to clear him to progress to the next area)

On which
bridge? The one where a bunch of dudes run your way and then a flaming boulder flattens them?
I think something weird may have happened because I've yet to see the
Cleric Beast,
but the ability to
level up via the doll
has been unlocked, and I read that only happens once you've encountered that boss.

I'm still kind of struggling to wrap my head around the level layout though, so I'm not exactly sure where I should be looking for that boss. I sort of stumbled upon
Father Gascoigne
by accident.

bombshell

On which
bridge? The one where a bunch of dudes run your way and then a flaming boulder flattens them?
Cleric Beast,
but the ability to
level up via the doll
has been unlocked, and I read that only happens once you've encountered that boss.

I'm still kind of struggling to wrap my head around the level layout though, so I'm not exactly sure where I should be looking for that boss. I sort of stumbled upon
Father Gascoigne
by accident.

The ability to level up is unlocked when you gain 1 insight which can happen in 3 ways in the first area:
Encountering cleric beast, encountering father G or by finding an insight item in the sewers.

The
cleric beast is at the end of the bridge with the 2 wolves.

On which
Cleric Beast,
but the ability to
level up via the doll

Father Gascoigne
by accident.

There's another bridge if you go through the house with the old man in the wheelchair and go through the exit on the top floor. It unlocks a lamp there, but there's literally nothing there so I'm not sure what the point of the lamp really is. There's a door and a gate, but the door doesn't offer any prompt, and nor does the gate (not even a "this doesn't open from this side", "you need to activate a device", "need a key" etc). I assume one or both of these open up later though.

If you jumped down into the sewers and grabbed some head thing, it'll unlock levelling up. It's in the bit where you get gang banged by the zombie things on the floor.

The ability to level up is unlocked when you gain 1 insight which can happen in 3 ways in the first area:
Encountering cleric beast, encountering father G or by finding an insight item in the sewers.

The
cleric beast is at the end of the bridge with the 2 wolves.

There's another bridge if you go through the house with the old man in the wheelchair and go through the exit on the top floor. It unlocks a lamp there, but there's literally nothing there so I'm not sure what the point of the lamp really is. There's a door and a gate, but the door doesn't offer any prompt, and nor does the gate (not even a "this doesn't open from this side", "you need to activate a device", "need a key" etc). I assume one or both of these open up later though.

If you jumped down into the sewers and grabbed some head thing, it'll unlock levelling up. It's in the bit where you get gang banged by the zombie things on the floor.

Ahhh gotcha, yup it was one of the head things I found, then. Thanks for the infos, will go poke around some more after work today.

phen0m24

Why would anyone use the cursed blood gems that the brainiacs drop? They make your health go down! What the heck... those guys are annoying to kill and then to get some weird gem. Bah

That said, can you buy sedatives? Need some. :(

Zafir

Rom
to be able to land hits.

Because of the adds or the spells?

For the homing attack, lock on to a spider/Rom and side step left right left, or right left right or something. If you aren't close enough, roll instead of sidestepping. The pillar attacks it depends where you're positioned, if you're really close to Rom, stay close to him/her because they never come out of the water near Rom. Otherwise back off. Flailing and the explosion, run back out of too.

The spiders are kind of tricky, all I can suggest is patience. If you're going to kill them all, take your time killing them and try and draw them away from each other so you're not being swarmed. If you're going the avoid route, wait till they've moved away from Rom a bit(they always seem to spread out if you stay back), and then run in for a quick attack, then back off.

Number45

Ahhh gotcha, yup it was one of the head things I found, then. Thanks for the infos, will go poke around some more after work today.
Just beware those blasted wolves!

Because he's a beast obvously... If you explore the immediate area you'll see what happened to the mother as well.
I had a good look around (found
the brooch
) but I missed anything directly relating to the mother. Will check again later.

Just beware those blasted wolves!

I had a good look around (found
the brooch
) but I missed anything directly relating to the mother. Will check again later.

The brooch is found on a mangled corpse surrounded by copious amounts of blood. It's pretty obvious that Gascoigne killed his wife.

Because of the adds or the spells?

For the homing attack, lock on to a spider/Rom and side step left right left, or right left right or something. If you aren't close enough, roll instead of sidestepping. The pillar attacks it depends where you're positioned, if you're really close to Rom, stay close to him/her because they never come out of the water near Rom. Otherwise back off. Flailing and the explosion, run back out of too.

The spiders are kind of tricky, all I can suggest is patience. If you're going to kill them all, take your time killing them and try and draw them away from each other so you're not being swarmed. If you're going the avoid route, wait till they've moved away from Rom a bit(they always seem to spread out if you stay back), and then run in for a quick attack, then back off.

It's mainly trying to get near
Rom
and being jumped by the
spiders

I can dodge the missiles without too much trouble, but that in combo with spiders pouncing on my ass is too much.

When I do get near him, I end up getting pounced by two of the fuckers mid swing. Got him down to third phase though, so I'll just have to be patient.

brainpann

So, just wanted to say that Ive played a few minutes of Demon and Dark Souls butneither reallycompelled me to keep playing. Actuallyc i probably played about anhour of Dark Souls but found the combat clunky and too difficult for me to invest my limited gameplay time into to learn properly. However, Bloodborne seemed to remedy that.

The combat is quicker and much for intuitive for me and overall is just a much more enjoyable experience. What really gets me though is the sense of exploration and finding new areas and ways to dispatch enemies. Im sure that is a staple of the series and after I finish BB, i might give the Souls series another shot because I prefer the medival setting. I havent felt so enthralled by simply exploring and wanting to find out whats beyond since Mario 64. Between that and the difficulty of trial and errror, it feels like an "old school" game in modern clothing.

I was a bit apprehensive about picking it up but Im damn glad i did. Its probably the most fun Ive had playing a new game in the last 20 years.

Number45

The brooch is found on a mangled corpse surrounded by copious amounts of blood. It's pretty obvious that Gascoigne killed his wife.
I really need to absorb these kinds of details as I play, and get out of the "must finish" mindset. I've purposely cleared everything else out (by which I mean I have no other game competing for my time) but it seems like I need to try a little harder to really immerse myself.

Probably doesn't help that I'm shit scared of being jumped most of the time.

Kill3r7

Beat the game on Saturday. My favorite PS4 game by far. I decided to go for the Platinum trophy but farming consumables for the chalice dungeons rituals is PITA. Any suggestions?

I really need to absorb these kinds of details as I play, and get out of the "must finish" mindset. I've purposely cleared everything else out (by which I mean I have no other game competing for my time) but it seems like I need to try a little harder to really immerse myself.

Probably doesn't help that I'm shit scared of being jumped most of the time.

I think I;d be more likely to explore if stuff stayed dead. As it is, I'm very hesitant to stray from the beaten track/what I think is the correct way because dying is basically a huge waste of time.

Number45

Ha, fuck you gatling gun dude!

*falls off of nearby ledge*

:'(

Gonna be fun trying to get those echoes back.

I think I;d be more likely to explore if stuff stayed dead. As it is, I'm very hesitant to stray from the beaten track/what I think is the correct way because dying is basically a huge waste of time.
I had been around most of Central Yarnham so I knew what to expect, I just wanted a clear to see if I'd missed anything (I had) and adding to the stock of bullets/vials is never a waste of time. You really just have to be cautious as you explore - take heed of notes and try and see around corners.

I'm back to where you are now, just in the next area. Terrified of what lurks around every corner - but each time you play you get a little farther in and as long as you're careful and use the same route there's no reason you shouldn't recover those lost echoes each time. :)

I just started playing on Saturday. So far, I love it. it is super difficult but then I am able to get past whatever challenges through memorization and patience. Then I get too confident and the game knocks me down a peg or two. great stuff so far.

Cess007

I haven't been able to play much the last weeks, so i'm still stuck on Yahargul
After beating Rom
. Even tho i feel that Forbidden Woods was a more disturbing location, those Undead Amalgam are frigging creepy too.

Number45

Managed to open up a nice shortcut in Old Yarnham (the door that is locked from the inside with a ladder that leads down past that area with the altar in it), which will make exploring that much easier.

Also I meant to ask. I bought the hunter axe, but I'm not really feeling it. Is it worth persevering with, or am I doing something wrong? Everyone* seems to think it's much better than the other starting weapons but I miss the speed of the saw cleaver. :/

* - probably not everyone.

Forbidden Woods
I know nothing more about this other than the name, and it already terrifies me. This games aesthetic with haunted woods vibe? *shudder*

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also I meant to ask. I bought the hunter axe, but I'm not really feeling it. Is it worth persevering with, or am I doing something wrong? Everyone* seems to think it's much better than the other starting weapons but I miss the speed of the saw cleaver. :/

* - probably not everyone.
I've never used it, but if a weapon's moveset isn't doing it for you, then just don't use it. Use whatever you "feel" is right for you.

Cess007

I started with the Saw Cleaver, but switched for a boss fight. I loved the range of the Axe. All you need to learn is the timing for the charged attack, and you will do wonders against normal enemies and bosses. It still depends of what weapon suits your style of combat better, but the Axe is the best weapon in the game for me :)

I know nothing more about this other than the name, and it already terrifies me. This games aesthetic with haunted woods vibe? *shudder*

I'm not kidding. At some point i took a break from the game 'cause i dreaded to go back to that place lol

Number45

I've never used it, but if a weapon's moveset isn't doing it for you, then just don't use it. Use whatever you "feel" is right for you.
Yeah, that seems like sound advice. Shame I wasted some shards on upgrading it - I really should have had a play first.

That said, I'm not being very adventurous in my combat techniques and I'm sure it's costing me (time if nothing else).

marcincz

8 boss is down
Reborn
. This one was even easier than I expected and than previous one. Killed him in 5th attempt. So how many main bosses has left?
2 I think

Axe has a great charge attack that just needs some timing training but...you'll eventually find better weapons. Besides, the Saw Weapons do more damage to beasts lol

How many bosses are in the forbidden Forrest?
I got witch's of hemlock, shadows of yarham, and rom

Is that all? I kind of rushed through the part to get to the
shadows of yarham
Because it all looked the same and I kept getting lost

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, that seems like sound advice. Shame I wasted some shards on upgrading it - I really should have had a play first.
Ah, don't worry about shards, you'll have more than what you know what to do with soon enough. Plus they can be purchased from the messengers eventually (I forget what unlocks it though).

Chunks and rocks (the equivalent of slabs/pures) on the other hand... -_- now for those, don't waste those 'cause they're rare. You might max out about 1 or 2 weapons per playthrough, though you can bring a staggering amount of weapons to +6.

Also, missed this edit:
Well.... not so much haunted, as... [mild spoilers]
sssssssssssssssss
;)

How many bosses are in the forbidden Forrest?
I got witch's of hemlock, shadows of yarham, and rom

Is that all? I kind of rushed through the part to get to the Because it all looked the same and I kept getting lost
Witch of Hemwick was in a different area, actually, but Shadows and Rom are all there is for bosses so you didn't miss any more. You might have missed a shortcut leading back to Central Yharnam (clinic area + backdoor to the clinic which has some secret stuff) and a bit of loot, but otherwise not much. The snakes area of the woods is mega confusing, I went through it three times over 3 playthroughs and used shining coins but can still get lost, lol.

Arrrammis

Because he's a beast obvously... If you explore the immediate area you'll see what happened to the mother as well.

There's another theory that I really like floating around...
Some people think that the mother was out looking for Gascoigne, but instead ran in to a large group of monsters/townspeople/whatever. They seem to hate humans, so naturally they ran up and mauled her, possibly pushing her through the railing and on to the top of the morgue, where her body is now laying. Gascoigne heard her screams and came running. Seeing his wife die was the last push he needed to become absolutely blood-addled/insane, and that's why you see him chopping up the creatures when you approach; they killed his wife, and he went mad with grief and rage.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I got to the first 2 black dogs that 2 shot me, died twice there. I had to turn off the game.

I'll try again later tonight but this game seems 3hard5me.

Arrrammis

That said, I'm not being very adventurous in my combat techniques and I'm sure it's costing me (time if nothing else).

Just find something you like, and focus on that attribute (fast attacks is skill. slow, powerful attacks is strength). If you have found the
saw spear
in the sewers, you might try that out, it's very similar to the saw cleaver.

Number45

I got to the first 2 black dogs that 2 shot me, died twice there. I had to turn off the game.

If you mean the wolves on the bridge, they're a nightmare but one that you can actually cheese pretty easily. Just look for bottlenecks close by.

Just find something you like, and focus on that attribute (fast attacks is skill. slow, powerful attacks is strength). If you have found the
saw spear
in the sewers, you might try that out, it's very similar to the saw cleaver.
I actually do have that (at least the option to buy). Maybe I should try them all out at some point, but as I'm really learning my trade I'm using most of my echoes to boost strength/vitality (with the odd point in endurance or skill/bloodtinge if I need it to equip).

Arrrammis

I assume you mean the two black dogs on the bridge? if so, just try running past them. (or use a ton of molotovs if you insist on fighting them). There are some great side paths just past them that make the whole area much faster and less frustrating.

You might have missed a shortcut leading back to Central Yharnam (clinic area + backdoor to the clinic which has some secret stuff) and a bit of loot, but otherwise not much. The snakes area of the woods is mega confusing, I went through it three times over 3 playthroughs and used shining coins but can still get lost, lol.

Actually, you need to go through here and in to the back door to unlock
Cainhurst
, which is personally my favorite area in the game.

Cess007

Some people think that the mother was out looking for Gascoigne, but instead ran in to a large group of monsters/townspeople/whatever. They seem to hate humans, so naturally they ran up and mauled her, possibly pushing her through the railing and on to the top of the morgue, where her body is now laying. Gascoigne heard her screams and came running. Seeing his wife die was the last push he needed to become absolutely blood-addled/insane, and that's why you see him chopping up the creatures when you approach; they killed his wife, and he went mad with grief and rage.

Wow, didn't know that theory. Kinda like it myself too :0

He also has a cool throwback to Demon Souls lol

Maxim726X

So I'm doing the Chalice dungeons now. At level 90, all I have left is
Gerhman.

Just want to say... The hardest boss in the game, bar fucking none, has to be
Ebrietas. I was stuck on her for hours and hours... Refused to level up, I wanted to beat her at level 50 something. And I did, but good lord was that fight hard.

What's the general consensus for hardest boss in the game?

Adaren

"...Beasts all over the shop... You'll be one of them, sooner or later..."

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Actually, you need to go through here and in to the back door to unlock
Cainhurst
, which is personally my favorite area in the game.

Oh I didn't mean to say that there wasn't much in that
clinic shortcut
, but more that other than the
clinic shortcut area
he probably hadn't missed much.

Top Bottom