• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront will not have ironsights

Many are happy with this, but I am not. I was hoping they were going to push it in a more realistic direction (like Battlefield), including awesome squad gameplay, tactical stuff, etc. But with the 3rd person and lack of ADS it seems like it's going to be a pretty casual game.

Good, hate iron sights. Being forced to use something that blocks a huge chunk of the screen to remain competitive is ridiculous. If not, suffer huge bullet spread inaccuracy and more recoil.

CSJ

What a ridiculous and poor example.

It's not about whether or not you ADS or not, it's based on how the guns control under stationary and moving, how much recoil they have and such.

You can get games where you can shoot and move with ADS and games where you can't.
Same with non-ADS games, some let you and others don't.
Ugh, I hate blind and one sided arguments by some random who has obviously never played games before but makes it out like it's one thing, not either/or.

Metfanant

Is this why storm troopers can't shoot for shit? Because they don't fucking aim!?

Good, hate iron sights. Being forced to use something that blocks a huge chunk of the screen to remain competitive is ridiculous. If not, suffer huge bullet spread inaccuracy and more recoil.

I'd personally prefer the realistic approach...

Many are happy with this, but I am not. I was hoping they were going to push it in a more realistic direction (like Battlefield), including awesome squad gameplay, tactical stuff, etc. But with the 3rd person and lack of ADS it seems like it's going to be a pretty casual game.

You think 3rd person and lack of ADS make a game casual? If anything its the other way around. Anybody who played SOCOM, Halo, Unreal, Quake, Counter Strike or Gears will tell you the same.

CSJ

You think 3rd person and lack of ADS make a game casual? If anything its the other way around. Anybody who played SOCOM, Halo, Unreal, Quake or Gears will tell you the same.

In every single 3rd person game you have people abusing the fact they can look around corners without the other person knowing they are there and well, to me that's the shittest mechanic in any competitive game to have ever existed next to showing enemies on a minimap 24/7. (Which incidentally if both existed then the first wouldn't matter of course ;) )

It's like watching ARMA 3 players in 3rd person server streams and they literally camp behind objects until the situation favors their unbalanced outcome.

The easy fix is having 3rd, 1st and either mode only servers of course so I can quit my moaning :p

Coxswain

I didn't think there was anything anyone could say to get me to give a shit about a Star Wars game by Dice.

I mean it's kinda sad that standards for shooters are so low that all it takes to get me interested is the promise that bullets will go where I aim them, even if I don't put on a pair of Farnsworth spectacles, start using a walker to hobble along at 0.5mph, and stick a gun directly through my throat, but still. Paying attention to the game now.

Metfanant

This is a series with lasers, Jedis, clones, and is set in a futuristic setting.

In the future hip fire becomes as accurate as ADS?

That's always my argument against people that say things like "CoD (or Halo) doesn't have enough recoil!"

Ya know...the guys with powered exo suits (or full blown genetically enhanced super soldiers with armor) can't hold a gun straight...

That's always my argument against people that say things like "CoD (or Halo) doesn't have enough recoil!"

Ya know...the guys with powered exo suits (or full blown genetically enhanced super soldiers with armor) can't hold a gun straight...
The military already developed a smart bullet, so yes it will be more accurate in the far future.

saywha.gif

And, there you have it. ADS + crawl-walking is officially for hardcores and pros. Hipfire + movement... that's for casuals and noobs.

Lack of ADS somehow equals casual?

How much time have you put into Counter Strike?
saywha.gif

And, there you have it. ADS + crawl-walking is officially for hardcores and pros. Hipfire + movement... that's for casuals and noobs.
Perfect.

21149-quake-iii-arena-linux-screenshot-railguns.jpg

casual game for babbies

Its amazing people actually enjoyed shooters back when you can move at a decent speed AND aim at the same time. Where your projectiles actually went where you were aiming. Like damn, the struggle was real back then

Welfare

Games that don't have a casual mechanic are casual?

Lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't have much of a preference with iron sights (although I tend to do better without them) but I hope they can find a good way to balance third and first person players. I prefer first person if the third person camera is just locked aiming instead of allowing for added mobility and freed camera movement.

Avari

Personally I like this news - I really want the game to feel like Battlefront.

That said I am still amazed at the amount of vitriol and/or passion news like this generates. If they had announced iron sites I would have been disappointed, but it wouldn't have impacted my buying decision in the slightest. It's interesting to see what game mechanics (which I might consider to be minor issues) are really important to some. I feel the same way over first or third person shooters. I know it makes a huge difference to some, but either is fine for me. What other mechanics are fundamentally important to others (to the point where you would or wouldn't' buy the game).

Here, maybe this will help. In Star Wars, their guns track eye movements of the user and auto correct for any aim discrepancies from where the gun is actually pointed. That way, the gun always shoots where people think they are pointing it without having to look through sights. Plus since the guns are shooting LASERS, they get really hot on top, so putting your head near them is not advisable.
This is not actually canon, but its as good explanation as any for people who apparently NEED one.

There, completely plausible within the framework of Star Wars fantasy space magic technology. Now it's completely realistic, and you can enjoy it again!

Personally I like this news - I really want the game to feel like Battlefront.

That said I am still amazed at the amount of vitriol and/or passion news like this generates. If they had announced iron sites I would have been disappointed, but it wouldn't have impacted my buying decision in the slightest. It's interesting to see what game mechanics (which I might consider to be minor issues) are really important to some. I feel the same way over first or third person shooters. I know it makes a huge difference to some, but either is fine for me. What other mechanics are fundamentally important to others (to the point where you would or wouldn't' buy the game).

It's a lack of appreciation of history the way I see it. ADS w/snap-to aiming, slower player movement, and narrow FOV masks the slower movement speed of dual analog. It adds immersion while lowering the skill ceiling. And in the case of games like Crysis 2, where non-fucked bullet spread is a "perk", it punishes skill vs time invested.

Having the bullets go where you aim the cursor while moving quickly to not get shot is the fundamental glue of games like Quake and Unreal. Even in Halo 5, 343 has had to avoid outright mutiny by stating that the new ADS system is purely cosmetic.

The funny thing is that in CSGO you can't exactly shoot and move at the same time either.

There is a bit of elitism.

Also, take a game like dirty bomb which makes use of both hipfire and ADS and that chart is a joke. Dirty bomb has tight hipfire and accurate/slow movement ADS, and both fill separate roles in the game. Hipfire is useable at all ranges while ADS has an edge at long range and hipfire has a huge edge at closer ranges.

The chart is also a grossly oversimplified explanation. You can have more complicated movement and "comeback" mechanics even when you are being shot first. The first shot has the advantage whether or not ironsights exists though.

Now, personally I would like to see star wars battlefront with tight cones of fire with hipfire. But not because I think ironsights are terrible in themselves, although they are implemented in a fashion I often do not like.

Here is dirty bomb: https://youtu.be/3TXTijvheBA?t=115 ADS + IS working hand in hand.

Wow. The only post I've seen that gets it. Ads and IS together = real skill

Who

Banned
Hopefully this means rolling is still in

Also, has it been confirmed whether or not they will include clone wars era battles?

Metfanant

Here, maybe this will help. In Star Wars, their guns track eye movements of the user and auto correct for any aim discrepancies from where the gun is actually pointed. That way, the gun always shoots where people think they are pointing it without having to look through sights. Plus since the guns are shooting LASERS, they get really hot on top, so putting your head near them is not advisable.
This is not actually canon, but its as good explanation as any for people who apparently NEED one.

There, completely plausible within the framework of Star Wars fantasy space magic technology. Now it's completely realistic, and you can enjoy it again!

how do you account for the notoriously poor accuracy of Stormtroopers?

DeaviL

Banned
Sad to see the majority of users here are still stroking their elitism.
On both sides, but that's totally what you meant right?
Acting like you're above the people who "stroke their elitism", great

how do you account for the notoriously poor accuracy of Stormtroopers?

Inefficient laser technology that is still preferred over weapons with ammunition because it saves on the massive production costs of ammunition.

Fine?

ADS is the proper way to shoot a gun. Hip firing is only done in movies, video games or by people who don't know what they're doing. Seems strange that they would go this way.

Strider311

ADS being casual does not compute. The only ground that argument has to stand on is if the game has a gross amount of aim-assist going on.

They may do it occasionally, but most are from the hip to keep the actors from covering their heads. It looks better for the shot.

Thats actually an interesting point, in the sequels they were more military like standing still etc... (as someone show'd in the execution scene), in the older ones they didn't do that as much.

Grief.exe

This is what modern gamers actually think. Welcome to reality GAF.

I like how Resistance does iron sights.

Its useful for real long range shots or nailing the bullseye secondary fire, but its ultimately optional.

You can run and gun and do great. But the iron sights are there but not typically recommended.

Coxswain

ADS increases accuracy dude, especially at range. Why do you think Snipers have them?

In an actual good video game, it doesn't do shit for accuracy, because your shots move in the direction you've aimed them. A scope lets you visually zoom in, which can make it easier to hit small targets at range, but only in the sense that it's easier to aim at a 50-pixel target than it is to aim at a 5-pixel target - actual accuracy is unaffected.

Top Bottom