• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoying enemies in gaming

mcz117chief

You don't fight him twice, there are just two smaller similar Clossi in the same way a couple of bigger ones are similar. They aren't that hard, just fiddly if you miss the clues they give you to defeat them.

Well ok, you don't fight him twice but they are pretty much identical so you kind of do, although the second one is a lot more fun and a lot easier. The biggest problem with the first one is that he can perma stun-lock you. If you get hit once, there is a high chance that you will never get up. The other problem is that he is super random, sometimes I can beat him in 2 minutes because I can land strikes pretty often and sometimes I fight him for 6 minutes + because he just won't give me even a tiny speck of time for an attack. I still hate him and is the ONLY downside of the GOAT.

spliced

Brain Heads in Bloodborne and Dino Butts in Dark Souls. There is no joy that comes from fighting these things, only relief that it's over.

Phantoms in ME3 mulltiplayer.
ff113b5472c719ac21d7da05528cf2fb.jpg

have a biotic on your squad that can cast stasis my man ;)

CISphil

Neo Member
Tickers from Gears of War. Bunch of them will just appear outta nowhere and blow your ass up. A bunch can even be continually spawned by a Kantus. On the higher difficulties, they just ruin you every time.
There's a level in Judgement (I think) that has you walking through a school canteen that has tables placed conveniently to block you into a tight corridor where tickers can pop out from any table. Hated that segment.
Honourable mention to serapedes.

Jabba

Banned
The enemies in Toukiden Kiwami are absolutely annoying at times. It isn't the constant moving around, that's fine. It's the shrug your shoulder/belly/tentacle/whatever attacks because I missed you with my main attacks that are infuriating at times.

The tentacle head Bloodborn insight suckers bother me only because the animation between them grabbing and you hitting them isn't smooth. You swing and all of a sudden, they have you and sucking your insight/health.

It reminds me of the fight with Doku in Ninja Gaiden/Black. The fight where Rachael takes off after you beat Doku. I've had him grab me while facing away from me. He's also skipped animation frames to grab me.

PSqueak

Banned
The goddamned bats.

Tons of game have them, sometimes they're not literal bats, but you know them, these little winged pricks that swoop down to pester you and are hard to hit.

MaddenNFL64

2 handers in dragon age inquisition as a rogue.

I can't do shit, but toss knives lest I get smashed into bits (i go full dps assassin spec, so no room for parry)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As if there is anything else you can do but hug the wall on a ledge only big enough to barely fit your character? Even boldly charging forward with swords-a-swinging can end up with you swinging yourself off the ledge by accident, rolling off the edge on accident, or simply getting bumped off by a sword attack. It punishes you regardless of how you play it. It's an iconic section, but not because it's good or well made.

You can walk forward, rather than walk pushing against the wall. Walking forward and blocking would only push you backwards, walking towards the wall and blocking will push you off the ledge. Alternatively, if you want to the route thats safe from falling off ledge, you can roll towards the wall. It's a well done risk/reward that makes you approach much more boldly than most people typically do to that point, since many people turtle through the game.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I would say EVERYTHING in The Evil Within, but what I really mean is the protagonist himself. Oh how much more I would have enjoyed it if a sense of urgency with sprinting had at least some realism to it.

Him stopping dead to catch his breath regardless of the environment is beyond stupid.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I feel "better" programming is subjective. Anything making that section easier removes one of the most iconic sections of any video game ever for me. In a real world logical sense it is ridiculous, but in a "punishing you for wall hugging" sense its perfect. That section is at its easiest when you boldly charge forward, and doing any sort of turtling is severely punished. It's great.

It wouldn't be better programming, always knowing how you'll take a hit is very useful. That bit is designed specifically to force people to walk forward instead of hugging the wall like in the gif. It's the exact thing that moment is trying to subvert. You need to walk exactly forwards but you're afraid of doing it.

Welp, beaten to the punch. Goddamnit.

Dark Souls is at its worst when it wants you to do any sort of platforming, including the upper church you had to go through minutes before the archers. Wanting to make sure you stay on the ledge because of the godawful stuff you have to deal with elsewhere then punishing you for it isn't iconic, it's just bad. The stuff about the game punishing you for wall hugging is conjecture. What it actually is is artificial difficultly from falling 90 degrees away from where you'd expect the character to fall. In the game that spawned the KotFF black knight halberd gif for its fantastic animation/hitboxes, it stands out as being totally opposite.

Those arrows hit hard. Making it so you fall in the direction the arrow is going would make it easier (removing artificial difficulty), but it wouldn't make it easy. You still have an archer from both directions that can knock you off the edge and you still have an archer to get through - the first time you're likely to fight a silver knight, no less.

Top Bottom