• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boyfriend Stealer (VN) Kickstarter: why hunt when you can steal?

cj_iwakura

I don't know how I feel about this, but it's so hilarious that I have to share it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nd-stealer-a-cheeky-visual-novel?ref=category

Goal is $3,074(talk about exact).

2ItllDL.png

This bitch.

5wg0Ufc.png

Shanoa has been expelled from college... again. In her quest for the perfect boyfriend, she has never let trivial things like commitment stop her from getting the man of someone's dreams. Unfortunately, her latest acquisition was the boyfriend of the dean's daughter!

Now she's at a new college and she's looking for a new boyfriend. But the girls at this esteemed college are highly intelligent and they won't give up their men without a fight!

Shanoa will have to work hard, choose her moments and seize every opportunity if she's to have any chance of liberating these boys from their current relationships. And she'll have to do it all while under the watchful eyes of their girlfriends!

H4j590T.png

She's bold, I'll give her that.

Also, has stat building stuff.

xTxFEPL.png

First time project, so uh, back at your discretion.

fntnYh5.png

1. Introduce Doubt
With no ties to either person, it can be difficult to establish a foothold in someone else's relationship. Raising a couple interesting points is a good way to crack the foundations and ease your way into a couple's subconscious.

2. Create Separation
Once a certain degree of trust has been earned, getting a boy away from his partner can give you a good chance to raise some concerns about her, without her around to defend them.

3. Mind Games
Once a boy starts to trust you, it's time to test some boundaries. This is a good chance to get in his girlfriend's head.

4. Sabotage
With enough trust earned, it's time to cause some serious damage, then blame everything on the girlfriend!

The writer sounds awfully knowledgeable on the subject.

cj_iwakura

This will end well /schooldays

I love how every single rival girl is somehow a horrible human being.

0WLm2g3.jpg

Robbie is a programming major and is serious about his studies. His goal is to work hard now so he will be successful in the business world after finishing college.

Leila pretends she understands Robbie's technical talk, but really she just goes through the motions because she likes his future prospects. At the same time, she does get sick of him spending so much time studying and wishes he could be more normal sometimes.

Ky4POL2.jpg

Jamie is a sports major who enjoys simple dates, taking it easy, and of course, working on his abs. He doesn't want too much out of life, as long as he's having a good time with the right people.

Bella is an English major who wants Jamie to engage in deeper conversations and be a little more sophisticated. She hopes that if she sticks around long enough, he'll grow up to be the man she wants him to be.

He has abs! Obvious husband material.

o0G7xH2.jpg

Stephan is a natural born poet trapped in a modern college boy's body. Although his art is important to him, he doesn't like to be pressured into fitting into society’s structure so he often won’t show up until second period, after art class has finished.

Stephanie hopes if she sticks with Stephan during his “idealistic” phase, he’ll grow up to be a more sensible guy who tones it down a little. Or a lot. Money isn't really an issue for her, so if she can hammer some of the ambition out, Stephan's way with words may just make him a great dinner companion someday.

At least the guys seem to have personality.

There's potential here, if you wind up breaking up a perfect couple and have to deal with the consequences, but I don't expect the writing to be that clever.

Mononoke

Banned
Are these types of games aimed at lonely/shy women or at men who want the fantasy of girls fighting over them? Or both?

I don't know, I'm married and think this would be funny. Maybe I'm not the demographic though lol

Edit: I mean, the idea of a VN having this concept. To be fair, I don't see myself playing this.

Remk

Is one of the stretch goals to give the lead character more than that single pose?

Hey the the tile image has it reversed!, what else do you want man?

Fun concept but I am always wary of VN beginners since it almost always ends on mediocre/poor products

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I noticed that and my hype deflated.

Those relationships were doomed anyway. There's just no...challenge.

Yandere Simulator looks more up my alley.

It'd be cool of those descriptions were how the main character imagined it, and not necessarily indicative of the actual reality of those relationships.

Two Words

I feel like "Boyfriend Stealer" would be the easiest sim game ever.

Step 1: Put all points into making yourself as pretty as possible.

Step 2: Put out. A large chunk of boys already dating aren't going to turn down free sex.

I'd say it's aimed at people who like VNs and leave it at that.
That's like saying a book is aimed at readers. Particular books are aimed at particular reading demographics. The same applies here.

cj_iwakura

Step 2: Put out. A large chunk of boys already dating aren't going to turn down free sex.

Well, the three guys do seem pretty loyal. I'd also take that into account. It'd be easy if the three guys were scum who'd dump their girls. Why would she even be interested in them?

The kickstarter page lacks information about the team behind it, so I advise backers to be cautious. We need their names and their experience in the industry, not to mention this is their first visual novel. I will be watching this kickstarter simply because its success means there is a market for Netori visual novels for females (unless I am making a mistake about the supposed demographic).

I am curious about what happened to the main character's previous boyfriend that she stole? Did she discard him after 'conquering' him?

cj_iwakura

Übersandvich;167664763 said:
The kickstarter page lacks information about the team behind it, so I advise backers to be cautious. We need their names and their experience in the industry, not to mention this is their first visual novel. I will be watching this kickstarter simply because its success means there is a market for Netori visual novels for females (unless I am making a mistake about the supposed demographic).

I am curious about what happened to the main character's previous boyfriend that she stole? Did she discard him after 'conquering' him?

The creator has a bio up, says she's a writer who found an artist and a programmer. I'd definitely be cautious, there's nothing there that couldn't be made with an image and/or video editor without any gameplay.

PSqueak

Banned
The Art of Stealing? Just offer sex

That wouldn't work, i mean, okay you have sex with them, bamf! what happens next? They forget about you and go back to their girlfriends, they're in love with them, you tho? You're just the slut who puts out when their girls don't, you're a glorified masturbation aid, not an actual potential lover. Your bed has thousands of notches, yet you still die alone.

Yeah, I noticed that and my hype deflated.

Those relationships were doomed anyway. There's just no...challenge.

Yandere Simulator looks more up my alley.

Shitty? yes. Doomed? Maybe not.
Theres a huge bunch of real life partners that are like this and still endure hardships that would make any sense person walk out.

But I dont think the writting will be good enough to show that. Or maybe it will surprise us, who knows.
The girl you are playing doesn't seem that good either, she is acting the same as those other girls.

Yarbskoo

That's like saying a book is aimed at readers. Particular books are aimed at particular reading demographics. The same applies here.

No, it's like saying "this book appeals to readers who like science fiction" instead of saying "this book appeals to nerds who want an escape from their joyless lives by imagining that they're a space captain who has sex with aliens instead of working a dead-end job at Burger King."

patapuf

Shitty? yes. Doomed? Maybe not.
Theres a huge bunch of real life partners that are like this and still endure hardships that would make any sense person walk out.

But I dont think the written will be good enough to show that. Or maybe it will surprise us.
The girl you are playing doenst seem that good either, she is acting the same as those other girls.

If i play a game called "boyfriend stealer" i expect to play a "nice girl".

JDSN

Banned
I can tell the writing will be terrible, I mean, all the conflicts for the protagonist to exploit involve the girlfriends waiting for a guy to grow up out of something they are heavily invested in, I guess the idea is to make the stealing more morally acceptable but that is boring as shit. Write an scenario in which one of the girls is the best friend of the protag, one where they couple already knows she has a reputation for doing this, so far its presented as a really passive experience.

PSqueak

Banned
If she got expelled from multiple colleges, how did she suddenly get into an esteemed one?

She got expelled from the last one for trying to romance the dean's daughter's boyfriend.

I don't think any college would refuse to accept someone who got expelled due to nepotism.

I guess that's a way to make yourself stand out for a first VN, because NTR (basically someone stealing another's lover) is usually either a guilty pleasure or repulsive to many people. Though you usually hear about it the other way around where the girl leaves the guy.

Top Bottom