• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boyfriend Stealer (VN) Kickstarter: why hunt when you can steal?

PSqueak

Banned
I guess that's a way to make yourself stand out for a first VN, because NTR (basically someone stealing another's lover) is usually either a guilty pleasure or repulsive to many people. Though you usually hear about it the other way around where the girl leaves the guy.

NTR implies you're having an affair with them while still on a relationship, this game implies the goal is completely breaking them up so you have your boytoy for yourself only.

Toxi

Banned
This kickstarter feels rather suspect with the extremely low goal and the fact that it's the creator's first VN.

At least they're only raising money for the graphics and music and not for the entire game.

PSqueak

Banned
This kickstarter feels rather suspect with the extremely low goal and the fact that it's the creator's first VN.

The game is set out to seemingly be less complex than things like long live the queen and making VN has become very accesible lately, i think that's the reason for the low goal.

Lack of team info IS worrying tho.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Give me a game where I'm stealing girlfriends from terrible boyfriends while the MC is a girl and I'll drop my money something fierce.

PillarEN

Love these kickstarter games that are based on morally questionable goals. This and Yandere Simulator are something I hope succeed and turn out to be good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

At least they're only raising money for the graphics and music and not for the entire game.

I know, but at least they've done a lot of work already, and a VN is one of the easiest types of games to develop, unless they go too crazy with those 3d environments.

I feel ok with taking a little risk to help them out.

If she got expelled from multiple colleges, how did she suddenly get into an esteemed one?

do you REALLY want the answer to that?

charles-shake-weight.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
But seriously, between me and some of the people in this thread, I bet we'd come up with one twisted variation of this game. You'd walk away from it never wanting to touch someone's relationship ever again.

LOL! I was just looking at yandere simulator and I just saw that you can customize the gender of the individual you're stalking. YESSSSSSS!

Looks interesting, but could be a bit rapey (rape by fraud, that is) if you're deceiving someone who otherwise wouldn't date and sleep with you. Depends on the circumstances I guess, idk if they'd go that far.

I feel like "Boyfriend Stealer" would be the easiest sim game ever.

Step 1: Put all points into making yourself as pretty as possible.

Step 2: Put out. A large chunk of boys already dating aren't going to turn down free sex.

Wat, a large chunk? Either you're a boy with very loose morals who's just projecting or you aren't - in which case you need to get new friends, stat.

Pandy

This sounds like a lot of silly fun to me. Bookmarked the Kickstarter, will see how flush I am at the end of the month.

What's the problem with a low goal? Just because it seems like it might not be properly budgeted (despite being "just" a VN) and thus not professional enough to actually follow through?

Honestly the bigger red flag is the stat system. I know Ren'Py makes it easy, but including that adds a ton more work that the writer has to rely on someone else for - compensated or otherwise.

Edit: Oh shut, made in Unity instead of Ren'Py.

graywolf323

the goal amount being exact is actually because it's being converted into local currency apparently

it shows as $3,079 to me and says it's AUD $4,000 (so it's from Australia)

cj_iwakura

The creator responded:

I decided to emphasize that side of the girlfriends in case people took it a bit too seriously, especially at first glance. It turns out some people were still disgusted. I guess they didn't see the humor in it.

It's been getting a lot of different comments so I'm trying to narrow it down to what the backers of the project want and make it enjoyable for them.

At this early stage I'm just trying to get across the vibe of the game. There will be different levels of how close couples are, and not all the boys will be so easily swayed. If you're too forward with your advances, they can quickly turn on you.

ZoronMaro

Is this the first Australian VN? I don't know a lot about these things. Regardless, I want a stretch goal with Australian VA.

Swamped

Banned
This is an absolutely hilarious premise. Kinda reminds me in some oblique way of the Yandere Simulator game. I'll keep an eye out, not sure if I'll back.

Loona

The concept of "stealing a boyfriend" always felt like a really weird form of male objectification, but what do I know...

The way I see it, a good work of fiction shows respect to all its characters as well as its audience - I hope the writing makes the characters more interesting than what those description point to.

Top Bottom