• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

There's a mod that turns hairworks on everything but Geralt if you don't like Geralt's hairworks.
It also takes less fps than with all hairworks on without the mod.

I have a mixture of high and ultra settings, and haven't seen any drops below 60 (using sweetfx and its FPS counter) after 47 hours. It's worth checking out the nvidia tweak guide, and then pushing up some of your settings. It's a stunning game, and runs really nicely on the 970.

My settings for reference:-

Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+
AA: On
Bloom: On
DOF: On
Detail Level: HIgh
Display Mode: Full screen
Foliage Visibility Range: High
Grass Density: High
Light Shafts: On
Background Characters: Ultra
Hairworks: Off
Resolution: 1920x1080
Shadow Quality: High
Terrain Quality: Ultra
Texture Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Ultra

Thanks for your list! Mine are looking very similar, but I get slight drops (to, say, 55) sometimes in places like Novigrad when I'm just walking around. They don't last long, but they're like minor stutters. Not an experience ruiner in the slightest, but just a little thing that nags me when the rest is running so well. Could be my CPU? i5 4670k 3.4ghz.

Tomodachi

I installed that new Triss costume, saved a game right in front of her, uninstalled, loaded the save and she was back in her old costume. No errors, no crashes.

GOG version.

edit: I guess you're just talking about that one quest. I didn't try turning that off.

I can confirm that I've seen two fast travel crashes since installing that quest. Total crash count since launch: 2

Yeah, you can load saves created with uninstalled DLCs if they're just dresses, armor or cards.

Which quest is causing issues?

Skellige: Most Wanted or something along those lines. It's the latest one do far together with the Skellige armor (which does not cause any issue), came out two weeks ago.

Damn, so it's confirmed that the DLC bug is real?
I'm glad I've already finished the game and haven't installed the DLC.

Even CDPR acknowledged it on they forums: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...sing-CTD-on-Fast-Travel?p=1810186#post1810186

wowzors

I get a perfect locked 30FPS at 1080p with everything maxed out including hairworks with a 2600k, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970. Maybe it's the CPU that makes all the difference there.

What do you use to lock at 30fps? I have tried, borderless window, riva tuner 30fps lock, nvidia inspector pre rendered frames 1.

Kiyoshi

Thanks for your list! Mine are looking very similar, but I get slight drops (to, say, 55) sometimes in places like Novigrad when I'm just walking around. They don't last long, but they're like minor stutters. Not an experience ruiner in the slightest, but just a little thing that nags me when the rest is running so well. Could be my CPU? i5 4670k 3.4ghz.

I don't think the game really taxes CPUs too much. I have an old i7 920, albeit at 4ghz. I should have mentioned that I haven't actually been to Novigrad yet, but may get there tonight so I'll take a look to see if I get any dips.

There's probably an easy solution to this that I was just to lazy to look into, but has anyone else had an issue with a dual monitor/TV setup where cutscenes output audio through the computer speakers and not the TV? It's weird, the audio goes through the TV most of the time. But the loading screen story summaries and non-interactive cutscenes output audio through the computer's speakers when I'm outputting to the TV.

There's probably an easy solution to this that I was just to lazy to look into, but has anyone else had an issue with a dual monitor/TV setup where cutscenes output audio through the computer speakers and not the TV? It's weird, the audio goes through the TV most of the time. But the loading screen story summaries and non-interactive cutscenes output audio through the computer's speakers when I'm outputting to the TV.

It's an inelegant solution, but can you just disable the computer speakers in Windows while you're playing on the TV and reenable them when you're done? I've done this in other games when I want it to stop outputting to my headphones while I'm running to the HDTV. Right click on the sound icon in the taskbar, go to playback devices and disable the source that is outputting to the computer speakers.

Oh shit....I don't know what's happened but I restarted my pc today and I'm trying to play but I've gone from a locked 30fps on Ultra at 2560x1440 to like 12 FPS... Checked to see if 1080p would be better and I'm getting 20fps. Wtf has happened?

GavinUK86

What do you use to lock at 30fps? I have tried, borderless window, riva tuner 30fps lock, nvidia inspector pre rendered frames 1.

Nvidia Inspector set to 1/2 refresh rate, tear control on standard and MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner set to 30.

Fullscreen with in-game vsync off and unlimited framerate.

I always use this method if I want a game to be locked at 30FPS. If I do it some other way it never feels smooth.

MGrant

Just picked this up (finally) last night after getting my new graphics card set up.

- i5 4690K @4.3 GHz
- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @+100 MHz Core, +100 MHz Memory Clock, +25 mV voltage, via Nvidia Inspector, 65% fan speed via Afterburner
- 8 GB RAM @ 1866 MHz

Game runs just about flawlessly at 1080p with everything on, including Hairworks, with foliage distance ticked down to High and Sharpening off (doesn't look good at this res). I can see some stutter occasionally when going through a forest or fighting big hairy/feathered monsters, but I'd estimate it's less than a 10 fps drop; otherwise I'm getting a nice 60 fps. GPU stays at a nice 75 degrees during full load, too.

Thorgal

Oh shit....I don't know what's happened but I restarted my pc today and I'm trying to play but I've gone from a locked 30fps on Ultra at 2560x1440 to like 12 FPS... Checked to see if 1080p would be better and I'm getting 20fps. Wtf has happened?

Try another game and if it is the same I am afraid your gpu might have died.

YoodlePro

I'm pretty happy with performance.

I get a constant-ish 45 fps at 1080p everything on and all settings at ultra.

I5-4460, Palit JetStream GTX 970, 8gb ram 1600mhz

Gpu does run hot though, 80+ degrees, but that's my case being rather small.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm pretty happy with performance.

I get a constant-ish 45 fps at 1080p everything on and all settings at ultra.

I5-4460, Palit JetStream GTX 970, 8gb ram 1600mhz

Gpu does run hot though, 80+ degrees, but that's my case being rather small.
Naw, this game runs most GPU's loud and hot for some reason. Not sure what it is.

Here's how I have my dual monitor TV/PC set up:

I set the TV's receiver (and by extension my TV)as the default sound in Windows and I also make it my primary monitor. If my TV is an active monitor in Windows (ie their is an HDMI output from my video card) then all sound automatically goes to the receiver. Whenever I "turn off" my TV (either by physically turning off the receiver or just going using Win Key + P to select only my monitor) then it automatically diverts sound to my PC speakers. As soon as I make my TV active again, the sound will properly switch back to the receiver.

Works flawlessly with everything including Witcher 3. This is using the HDMI output from Nvidia's cards.

If you're on the latest drivers, it won't. It was a bug that was fixed in a driver shortly after Witcher 3 release.

Not sure which driver you are referring to. I'm using 353.06 and I still observe a fps increase by enabling CPU PhysX in NCP. Here is my run-through of the patch. Though a lot of this is dependent (I would imagine anyways) what CPU people are using.

Getting like 13 FPS in this game for some reason and awful lip syncing. Meet the requirements with an Intel Core i5-4690K, GTX 770 and 16GB Memory. Running through GOG Galaxy. Have the latest Nvidia driver: 353.30. Scoured the net and followed this setup for my settings:

Post Processing
Motion Blur: Off
Blur: Off
AA: Off
Sharpening: Low
AO: None
Depth of Field: Off
Chromatic Aberration: Off
Vignette: Off

Video Settings
Vsync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Resolution: 1366x768
Display Mode: Borderless Window
Number of background characters: Low
Shadows: Medium
Terrain quality: Low
Water quality: Medium
Grass: Medium
Textures: High
Foliage range: Low
Detail level: Low
Hardware Cursor: On

Been working on this for a few hours and have only been able to reach the first bar through all my testing and retesting of my settings and I still can't find the issue.
EDIT: No real change switching to the 353.06 driver either

I'm still getting driver crashes with this game. After about 15 minutes it starts doing it. I was just looking through the menus when it happened last. So annoying. I thought nvidia had a hotfix driver for this.

Yeah, the game is soooo good at 60.

But that does sound suspect. I think 30fps should be absolutely achievable with a 970 with hairworks.

I want both.

I was using a mod that is Hairworks on everything but Geralt. And granted I'm on a 980 TI, but now I don't get those massive fps drops when I get close to a wall and the camera is close to Geralts hair. So now it's a smooth 60fps, Hairworks on all the animals and Geralts beard at max settings. I'd wager a 980/970 can get pretty close to with the same mod.

Hairworks on everything but Geralt

Has anybody tweaked their overclock after installing 353.38? I installed the hotfix earlier today to compare with 353.06 and didn't notice any difference insofar as performance....until I updated my OC. I was able to bump up my core clock from 1280 to 1306 on my 770 without any crashes. OC stability seems a little more intact with the hotfix. Is anybody else observing this?

Has anybody tweaked their overclock after installing 353.38? I installed the hotfix earlier today to compare with 353.06 and didn't notice any difference insofar as performance....until I updated my OC. I was able to bump up my core clock from 1280 to 1306 on my 770 without any crashes. OC stability seems a little more intact with the hotfix. Is anybody else observing this?

Well I have a stable overclock and I'm still getting driver crashes. I'm on latest drivers too. Fuck knows what's going on.

Getting like 13 FPS in this game for some reason and awful lip syncing. Meet the requirements with an Intel Core i5-4690K, GTX 770 and 16GB Memory. Running through GOG Galaxy. Have the latest Nvidia driver: 353.30. Scoured the net and followed this setup for my settings:

Post Processing
Motion Blur: Off
Blur: Off
AA: Off
Sharpening: Low
AO: None
Depth of Field: Off
Chromatic Aberration: Off
Vignette: Off

Video Settings
Vsync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Resolution: 1366x768
Display Mode: Borderless Window
Number of background characters: Low
Shadows: Medium
Terrain quality: Low
Water quality: Medium
Grass: Medium
Textures: High
Foliage range: Low
Detail level: Low
Hardware Cursor: On

Been working on this for a few hours and have only been able to reach the first bar through all my testing and retesting of my settings and I still can't find the issue.
EDIT: No real change switching to the 353.06 driver either

That seems really wrong. I'd start from scratch on everything. Clean install for your drivers and verify the integrity of your game install. The 353.30 drivers are game-ready drivers for Batman and offer no notes for Witcher 3 unless you are running SLI. I'd either keep 353.06 or the 353.38 hotfix drivers. Roll back any OC you have going on. I have a 770 too and these are the settings I use. I get ~45 fps in cities and 55-60 elsewhere.

You aren't running this on a laptop, are you? I only ask because of the res you are using. Is it native? Also, try running the game using the witcher3.exe rather than using the GoG client.

That seems really wrong. I'd start from scratch on everything. Clean install for your drivers and verify the integrity of your game install. The 353.30 drivers are game-ready drivers for Batman and offer no notes for Witcher 3 unless you are running SLI. I'd either keep 353.06 or the 353.38 hotfix drivers. Roll back any OC you have going on. I have a 770 too and these are the settings I use. I get ~45 fps in cities and 55-60 elsewhere.

You aren't running this on a laptop, are you? I only ask because of the res you are using. Is it native? Also, try running the game using the witcher3.exe rather than using the GoG client.

Not a laptop but a TV monitor instead of a computer specific monitor.

Alright here's the story. Could lie to you but the truth is my freaking HDMI wasn't plugged into my NVIDIA Card and was instead attached to the motherboard's port. Used the wrong port when I unplugged and replugged the rig after moving it. Using the current Nvidia drivers and running through GOG Galaxy again and now the game runs like melted butter. Even scrolling the menus is slicker. Thanks for the help and sorry for wasting time lol

LordAmused

Since the hotfix, I haven't had a single CTD with or without an OC on my 970. Everything is smooth and stable.

Since the hotfix, I haven't had a single CTD with or without an OC on my 970. Everything is smooth and stable.

I've just noticed my game keeps defaulting to borderless fullscreen which is what's causing my ctds. Been playing the game for over an hour now with no ctds to speak of. Happy times.

Not a laptop but a TV monitor instead of a computer specific monitor.

Alright here's the story. Could lie to you but the truth is my freaking HDMI wasn't plugged into my NVIDIA Card and was instead attached to the motherboard's port. Used the wrong port when I unplugged and replugged the rig after moving it. Using the current Nvidia drivers and running through GOG Galaxy again and now the game runs like melted butter. Even scrolling the menus is slicker. Thanks for the help and sorry for wasting time lol

Lol, well glad you figured that out quick. I probably would have been going banannas uninstalling everything and doing a clean install of my OS.

I just turn my OC if I'm playing Witcher 3 :/ Not sure why this is the only game it is crashing with.

After making sure the game is running fullscreen I can play the game without any crashes with my overclock on. :) Played around 4 hours and not a single crash. Had about 3 within minutes of loading up the game when it was in Borderless.

What are the max settings I can run while maintaining 1080p@60 with a GTX670? I'm only able to get 40-50ish when I turn stuff down to medium. It's just not that powerful enough I suppose.

What are the max settings I can run while maintaining 1080p@60 with a GTX670? I'm only able to get 40-50ish when I turn stuff down to medium. It's just not that powerful enough I suppose.

Turn down your resolution to 900p if you don't mind the blur.
I tried it and it's not really noticeable for me, in fact, and performance boost is quite huge. But I'm playing the game 2 meters away from my TV.

Piggus

Alright, I'm getting a REALLY annoying problem that's keeping me from progressing. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue...

During the battle of
Kaer Moren
, when you
open the gates
, there's a cutscene. Just before
younger witcher dude is about to get stabbed after he's knocked over
, my PC shuts down and then starts back up a few seconds later. I've tried disabling one of the GPUs, increasing the power limiter, etc. It always shuts down at the exact same moment. Any ideas?

How do I make it to where Geralt has no weight limit? This is driving me crazy. I'm 100 hours in and I'm tired of having to stop all the time to drop / sell stuff

d3vnull

Alright, I'm getting a REALLY annoying problem that's keeping me from progressing. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue...

During the battle of
Kaer Moren
, when you
open the gates
, there's a cutscene. Just before
younger witcher dude is about to get stabbed after he's knocked over
, my PC shuts down and then starts back up a few seconds later. I've tried disabling one of the GPUs, increasing the power limiter, etc. It always shuts down at the exact same moment. Any ideas?

Had/have the exact same problem. To "fix" it I just pressed SPACE to skip the scene and watched it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CwM8PXSzK4 here it is

Sanctuary

How do I make it to where Geralt has no weight limit? This is driving me crazy. I'm 100 hours in and I'm tired of having to stop all the time to drop / sell stuff

Unless you're talking about an ini edit, you don't. You can get his limit up to 160 though. There's a rumor (?) that at level 27+ you can get a bag that raises it to 200. Why are you so heavy anyway? Sell all of your weapons, armors, junk and most everything else that you have over a ten count of.

Does anyone playing on a plasma even bother with AA in this game? I have it off for performance reasons, and the only time I notice aliasing is if I'm trying hard to find it.

LilJoka

Unless you're talking about an ini edit, you don't. You can get his limit up to 160 though. There's a rumor (?) that at level 27+ you can get a bag that raises it to 200. Why are you so heavy anyway? Sell all of your weapons, armors, junk and most everything else that you have over a ten count of.

Does anyone playing on a plasma even bother with AA in this game? I have it off for performance reasons, and the only time I notice aliasing is if I'm trying hard to find it.

I'm on a pioneer kuro 42", I don't use AA.

Top Bottom