• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 has been the best year for John Cena

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Owens is hardly a newbie. He looks like a star because he is. Just because someone isn't wrestling in WWE doesn't mean they are anewbie.

Also as much as I have hated on Cena his work this year has been great.

Owens absolutely held his own, but if Cena said 'yeah, nope' then it'd mean nothing. For all his flaws, Cena's not even slightly selfish in losing. Punk, Bryan, Owens, he put them all over like a boss.

Nice thought out post.

Here's where I feel how the two vastly differ. If you go back and watch that '92 Royal Rumble, Flair SELLS the challenge of surviving the ring against bigger men having come into the ring at No. 3. He SELLS the difficulty, you see the wheel turning, he's looking for windows of opportunity with chaos surrounding him. It is classic storytelling and, imo, marks one of the best spots to point in that regard.

So, with that being said, and having now caught up to some RR of the paast few years, no other wrestler has come close to inserting that layer of storytelling into a match, least of all Cena. Cena cannot carry a story the way Flair did and we all know how important it is to sell a story in the program.

I see your point, but I don't think it works. Flair's role in the 1992 RR was "sneaky heel who is the best, but has to be wily to survive."

Cena's role generally is much different. It's "superhuman who always fights back against the odds and finds that courage deep inside when things look bleakest to overcome his challenges."

Even face Flair's greatest match where he was playing a role like that (against Vader at Starrcade '93), he still was playing that role as Flair, which means eye pokes, ball shots, flash pins, and out-thinking the opponent rather than firing up after a long selling period and using physical strength and determination to beat the odds.

I just don't think they're asked to do the same thing in the ring, so I find that specific comparison that you are making to be hard to make.

hlhbk

Owens absolutely held his own, but if Cena said 'yeah, nope' then it'd mean nothing. For all his flaws, Cena's not even slightly selfish in losing. Punk, Bryan, Owens, he put them all over like a boss.

Don't worry from 2005-2010 Cena buried enough people to fill a career.

TxdoHawk

As one of the biggest "Super Cena, lord of the Little Jimmies" haters on the planet, credit where credit is due, the man is doing much better this year.

Fox318

Then he got his win back and main evented PPVs and shows while they held a toy title.

All of the big stars had to say no to Vince about certain ideas and angles. Austin did, Hogan did, even Bret did.

Cena's legacy was that he will forever be known as a yes man. A man who never said no to Vince's shitty humor or last minute bad booking. Its not that he never wanted to lose its that he always got his win back in a way that destroyed the push of somebody else.

The only talents that managed to come out of a Cena feud ok in the end are Edge and The Rock.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Fat Boy Owens isn't a star yet but Cena handed it to him on a silver platter. Very generous, and Owens absolutely needed it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Might I also add that every time Cesaro's career looks like it's hit rock bottom. he faces Cena and Cena says 'fuck this shit' and Cesaro is given permission to look like a main eventer for an evening.

Fox318

Fat Boy Owens isn't a star yet but Cena handed it to him on a silver platter. Very generous, and Owens absolutely needed it.

GTwXx1P.jpg

Kevin you need to stop going to the Arby's telling the employee that you are ordering food for 20.

Heroman

Banned
Not from 2005-2010 and probably not entirely his fault, but he's had a pretty negative effect on Zack Ryder, the whole Wyatt family, and Rusev.

Has more to do with the booking than anything, though.

Vince had a negative affect on ryder not cena, Rusev was dumb to stay on tv when he broke his foot and Wyatt was booked very stong post cena.

I hesitate to call Cena a great performer because a lot of what he does seems so sloppy. A lot of his moves look either awkward or weak and the heavens themselves can hear that guy calling his spots.

Not from 2005-2010 and probably not entirely his fault, but he's had a pretty negative effect on Zack Ryder, the whole Wyatt family, and Rusev.

Has more to do with the booking than anything, though.

Yeah, that's not really him. Vince was never going to push Ryder and was the dude who broke up the Wyatt Fam.

Vince also wants to break Lana off from Rusev, so Rusev's de-push was on the way. Plus, Rusev fits the "foreign monster challenges top patriotic babyface" formula that Vince loves and has returned to many times over the years.

Cena's admitted that he should have pushed more for the Nexus to win at key points in that feud.

My point is, however, that Cena hasn't buried anyone. From reports, he's a company man that does whatever they tell him. It's only in recent years that he has become more proactive in giving fresher dudes competitive matches to elevate them, and in fact even before that, he was the most giving main eventer the WWE has ever had except for The Rock. Cena's lost to RVD, Bryan, and Punk cleanly in order to try and elevate them and then went down a level to try and put guys over via the U.S. Championship open challenges, which is an angle that is likely ending in less than a week with Cena putting Owens over cleanly. Did Hogan ever do that much for that many people during his main run? Did Austin? Did Bruno?

No. Cena should get way more credit for being willing to drop falls, especially cleanly, than he does. And of course, why does it mean so much for Cena to drop a fall cleanly now? Because he almost never lost for years and years!

As great as he's been, he's still the face of repetition in WWE for me, I know people have come up with all these fancy titles for periods since the Attitude era but for the past decade, it's all been the Cena era in the eyes and I desperately want a new era to begin.

Of course, I say that but when Cena does retire, we'll probably still have people like Orton and Sheamus knocking about, with the amount of television we're fucked when it comes to repetitiveness despite who the big stars are, I mean just look at how WrestleGAF soured on Daniel Bryan near the end.

And then he tries to come out an pretend that the boos don't bother him, and tries to get a few cheap pops. But I know, I know that late at night when hes looking in the mirror, it bothers him. It bothers him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And then he tries to come out an pretend that the boos don't bother him, and tries to get a few cheap pops. But I know, I know that late at night when hes looking in the mirror, it bothers him. It bothers him.

No, he turns every crowd on his side. Like that "hostile Chicago crowd" he had eating out of his goddamn hand. He's truly a master at talking, and can do anything he wants with a group of people, whether they're mad at him or not.

He's the real deal, pal.

bigkrev

He may be one of the sloppiest long term main eventers of all time, but he puts so much effort and never takes a night off. For someone who "sucks", he sure has had a ton of great matches in his career.

Don't worry from 2005-2010 Cena buried enough people to fill a career.

Name names, don't just shitpost

bigkrev

Wade Barrett absolutely should have won the title off of him when Nexus was red hot, but Cena nixed it.

....Cena wasn't the champion. Sheamus was the champion when the Nexus angle happened, the Orton won it in September, and then Miz won the title from Orton at Survivor series. Cena wouldn't get the title back till the middle of 2011, and by then it was the CM Punk Nexus (and we went right into the Punk-Cena feud).

They had 2 singles matches- one at Hell in a Cell (Barrett won), and a blow-off at TLC (which Cena won)

Yeah, this year has probably been my favourite of Cena's career. This US Champ run has been fantastic.

I still haven't had a chance to watch either Cena vs. Cesaro match.

hlhbk

No, he turns every crowd on his side. Like that "hostile Chicago crowd" he had eating out of his goddamn hand. He's truly a master at talking, and can do anything he wants with a group of people, whether they're mad at him or not.

He's the real deal, pal.

Lol!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. HHH is one of the greatest of all time. Cena isn't in his league.

Cena is a LONG stretch better than HHH on every single level. All of them. There's nothing HHH can do better than Cena, except put over little Danny Bryan. HHH did a good job of making people believe that woolly little shit was believable.

hlhbk

He may be one of the sloppiest long term main eventers of all time, but he puts so much effort and never takes a night off. For someone who "sucks", he sure has had a ton of great matches in his career.

Name names, don't just shitpost

Uh everyone he faced until very recently came out looking worse for it.

hlhbk

Cena is a LONG stretch better than HHH on every single level. All of them. There's nothing HHH can do better than Cena, except put over little Danny Bryan. HHH did a good job of making people believe that woolly little shit was believable.

Nice troll post.

He is having the best matches of his career but still stuck in the same old "CenaWinsLOL" feuds.

But now he is chewing up and spitting out NXT people which is a bit of a bummer.

Bubba T

Because Cena and Flair are not even in the same universe. Their names should never be mentioned one after the other.

This would be the biggest travesty in the history of the sport. I would put an astrix next to Cena's name for ever. It would be The Barry Bonds treatment. I would not acknowledge it, non of you should either.

hqdefault.jpg

RP912

Banned
No lie Trips became Shao Kahn during his match with Bryne. How Bryan going to let the most predictable wrestler in the world outshine him in a shoot fight? Disgusting :/

Fox318

HHH was a better worker than Cena but he also had the advantage of invading management and having a move that WWE talent was contractually not allowed to kick out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom