• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't we generally comparing apples to oranges with SF5 and Tekken 7's visuals? Sure, they are both high profile fighting games that inevitably are going to look great at home once they are 100 percent complete, but I always thought Street Fighter was going for more of a cartoony aesthetic compared to Tekken which seems like it is attempting a more realistic approach. Isn't it like comparing Mortal Kombat X to Guilty Gear in a sense?

Pachimari

I find it weird that I'm more excited about Street Fighter V, than Tekken 7, having been a huge Tekken fan since Tekken 2. So many years. Of course I'll get Tekken 7, and if I like what I like in the betas of SFV, I'll get that one as well. It just looks so stylish, colorful and beautiful.

Sayah

Nice work with those T7 gifs, Sayah! ( '.')b

Thanks. I hadn't touched photoshop in a long time and thought why not. I made a few more Tekken 7 gifs. Here's the full compilation.
Edit: Full credit to Kane and S.T.L for posting high quality videos.
Intros-4.gif

Tekken-7-1.gif

Tekken-7-7.gif

Demonstration of:

Slowdown
http://gifyu.com/images/Tekken-7-4.gif

Power Crush
http://gifyu.com/images/Tekken-7-5.gif

Rage Art
http://gifyu.com/images/Lili-4.gif

Aren't we generally comparing apples to oranges with SF5 and Tekken 7's visuals? Sure, they are both high profile fighting games that inevitably are going to look great at home once they are 100 percent complete, but I always thought Street Fighter was going for more of a cartoony aesthetic compared to Tekken which seems like it is attempting a more realistic approach. Isn't it like comparing Mortal Kombat X to Guilty Gear in a sense?

Well, of course they both have different art styles but I wouldn't say it's the equivalent of comparing Xrd to MKX.

They are still using 3D models in both SFV and T7. I just think SFV does a better of job of keeping the iconic look but still updating the character models substantially. If every character looked as good as the first gif I posted above, then I would agree with ZTS and definitely say Tekken 7 has better character models than SFV. But unfortunately, that's not the case overall and I pointed the specific issues on the last page with some of the character models. But the game is still in development and receiving constant incremental updates so I'm hoping everything is nicely fleshed out by the time we see it on consoles.

Dereck

A little while ago I was chatting with AAK about what we want from Tekken. I had a bunch of ideas, I'll just post one of them.

After Tekken 4 ended, Law lost his restaurant, Marshall China, and he hasn't had a restaurant since then, IIRC.

In Tekken 6, he gets deported back to the USA, and he teams up with Steve and Paul, and wins the tournament. We don't know Law's story in Tekken 7 yet, but judging by T6's ending, he probably paid for Paul's totaled bike and Forest's hospital bills. My idea somewhat requires that T7 or T8 has a timeskip, preferably any amount of time over a year, for this to make sense. My issue with Law in T7 is that his appearance does not show anything about the character storywise. He's worn the same outfit since T5, so, besides the reasoning behind this from the creators, why would Law wear the same costume for almost 10 years? Here's why, it's because there is no timeskip between T4 and T6, kind of odd when you think about it.

The characters in T4 are either several months older or a year older in T6, why would they switch costumes in 3 months? This is why I think T7 needs a timeskip. Without the timeskip, it leaves little reason for the characters to change. In T7, Law wears gold pants, but why doesn't he wear his dojo training uniform? At the end of T4, it's said that after his Marshall China goes out of business, he opens up his dojo again. Why isn't Law wearing his dishwashing uniform? You could say, well, "Law wears his dragon pants whenever he fights". See, this is what makes T7 less organic. It would be cool to see a Japan stage in T7, (hypothetically since he doesn't work there anymore), and the stage shows the restaurant where Law washes dishes, and he's wearing his dishwashing uniform. So it's almost like, in T6, if you went to Japan and challenged Law to a fight, do you think he packed his dragon pants in a duffle bag just to go to work and wash dishes? Probably not. He would maybe take his white coat off, and fight you right outside the restaurant. This idea is too T4-ish to ever happen, but it adds more character to Law. Right now Law is just a guy that looks like Bruce Lee, but, beyond just this one character trait, he is a dojo owner, and a restauranteur. It's OK if the story mode outlines that, but what is not OK to me is when the actual game (in-game), ignores it.

If there was a timeskip after T6, that would mean that Forest Law would have been able to get out of the hospital, train again, and get back into the tournament. Why would Marshall be in T7 if he paid for Paul's bike and got Forest out of the hospital? Yeah, you could just make up another reason for Law to want more money, that's part of Namco's job. However, It would be more interesting to see Forest in another game since he was introduced in an earlier one.

Back to the costume I was talking about earlier, the costume is this one.

9R06BvP.jpg

Here's another question, why is Law wearing wrist wraps? Is it to protect his wrists from dishwater? Probably not. The costume itself is begging for a (fighting version). Law is 2 seconds away from taking his coat off, and boom, that's a 2P costume, right there. I don't need to imagine it either, because it already exists!

marshall-law-tekken5dr-story-artwork2.jpg

My ideas aren't so ridiculous, because they take from the previous games, this is material from the story mode, why not capitalize on them?

And, this is just one character from Tekken 7, what about the other ones? Here's another small example. Asuka

Asuka entered Tekken 5 to find out who injured her father, right? Well, after that's over, her storyline is reduced to a Lili rivalry. What happened to her father? Wouldn't it be cool to see an old man Kazama fighter in a new Tekken?

I just found this from her bio.

Asuka is a substitute teacher at her father's dojo.
44gPxsj.jpg

Well, I had no idea, Tekken has never made it important for me to know this, where is the evidence of this?

WxfftkP.jpg

Is that supposed to be it? Because remember, that's an outfit from T5. a 10 year old game. And to put the cherry on top of how bland they've made Asuka by this point, Asuka is 17 years old, still. She's been 17 years old for 10 years, remember, there's no time skip from T4-T6. Are they just gonna stop doing timeskips so that the characters can remain stagnant? I hope not.

We are all past the point of wanting certain things from T7 that Namco has already stated that we aren't going to get, so, in the mean time I'll just make up fantasy scenerios and wishlists.

Numb

Nice write up man. Namco just doesn't care and it has gotten beyond annoying. They create scenarios and ignore the impact it should have in the sequels unless it is another mishima doing something crazy again.
Asuka with that outfit was awesome and it was sad to see it was removed in Tekken Tag 2.
The default clothes she had never looked good to me and all her alts were actually amazing. That geisha outshit is still brilliant.

Sayah

Nice write up.

I agree with the timeskip.

I would be even happier with a Tekken 3-style timeskip where we get a bunch of new cool-looking characters and only a few returning ones. Tekken 3 is the best selling one in the franchise and that's part of the reason. It provided that new, rejuvenated look.

Unfortunately, Namco's taste in new designs currently is not the most pronounced at the moment. You would have thought SoulCalibur V demonstrated this point enough but Tekken 7 took their new designs even further into an abyss. lol.

Sayah

LOL Tekken Zaibatsu.

I try to login after many years and I don't even remember my username or password. I dig up an old thread I remembered posting in to find my username and then tried different password combinations. None of them worked.

Edit: Just found there actually is a "forgot password" option but the e-mail I linked with my account is old and I don't remember that e-mail's password. :lol. As luck would have it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The lack of a time skip is pretty ridiculous when you consider that Jin is supposed to have waged war on the whole world in Tekken 6. Building an army like that can't happen overnight, and that's just considering the things that happened before the war.

CSX

Isn't a lot of Tekken 7 outsourced? Also Unreal Engine has always had horrible hair.

Asset creations I believe were outsourced to an Indian company. Focus was on the stages. Not sure if the company did character models as well. Too lazy to google but it was mentioned in some article about how a lot of big companies are outsourcing a lot of game development to India and Namco- Tekken 7 was on that list.

Sayah

Asset creations I believe were outsourced to an Indian company. Focus was on the stages. Not sure if the company did character models as well. Too lazy to google but it was mentioned in some article about how a lot of big companies are outsourcing a lot of game development to India and Namco- Tekken 7 was on that list.

It is definitely a whole lot cheaper to get this sort of stuff done in India. If they created the stage assets, then they did a great job.
If they were responsible for customizations, then let me take back my accolade for them. lol.

lupinko

It is?

I thought they only outsourced the customizations. But this time, they're reusing a lot of the TTT2 stuff so I don't know.

Also, here's a Counter Hit Katarina combo for you. :)

http://gifyu.com/images/Katarina-1.gif

Edit: I'm on a gif creating binge. I can't help myself. lol.

Tekkken-7.gif

Ooo, thanks. The damaging juggle I do is the launch (so usually off 4 sweep), b1,b1,df1,1,2, dash > knee. The lazy version that does slightly less damage is the b11(which iirc launches for you to hit 1,2 with),1,2, dash > knee.

And off her hop kick uf4,4,4 you can do df1, 1,2, dash into knee.

There are trickier combos I've seen Japanese players do with the dash horizontal chop (that's done with 1 and causes an opponent spin).

Sayah

Ooo, thanks. The damaging juggle I do is the launch (so usually off 4 sweep), b1,b1,df1,1,2, dash > knee. The lazy version that does slightly less damage is the b11(which iirc launches for you to hit 1,2 with),1,2, dash > knee.

And off her hop kick uf4,4,4 you can do df1, 1,2, dash into knee.

There are trickier combos I've seen Japanese players do with the dash horizontal chop (that's done with 1 and causes an opponent spin).

I was playing on stick with her and going from b1 to f was a motion stick gave me a hard time with. But I once I am playing this game on pad, I am sure I will like her even more than I already do.

Here's where I got the combo from btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SGGqao7R7E#t=2m20s

Yeah, they're definitely improving some stuff with the character models.

Like Lili's face looks pretty bad in TTT2, slightly better in TR and seems to be much better in T7.

And it's pretty obvious it's still being worked on. I guess that's one good thing coming out of the endless console delay. Can make it look better.

tumblr_mo9cvnY8Te1svn9hfo1_400.gif

I prefer Lili to look like a human rather than a DOA-esque doll, thank you.

Numb

This is Lili's best look. They should try to get the in-game model as close to this as possible.
This is my fav Lili aswell
Eh, her eyes look kind of glassy and unnerving. Plus there's so little detail. I thought she looked better in the intro.

They should give her like... two freckles.

Everybody looked amazing in that intro.
Look at my boy Jinpachi. He has a completely different beard with strands and stuff.
tumblr_m6ks49nIib1rnbk4so1_500.gif

Sayah

Eh, her eyes look kind of glassy and unnerving. Plus there's so little detail. I thought she looked better in the intro.

They should give her like... two freckles.

That intro Lili is pretty much the same. The ending CG was just lower quality compared to the intro. But I like the eyes in the ending.

This is my fav Lili aswell

Look at my boy Jinpachi. He has a completely different beard with strands and stuff.

I wish Jinpachi could be in Tekken 7.

Numb

That intro Lili is pretty much the same. The ending CG was just lower quality compared to the intro. But I like the eyes in the ending.

I wish Jinpachi could be in Tekken 7.

He already released his awesomeness on everybody and especially on Heihachi.Knocked him out with what seemed like his sexual powers from his crotch. Mission complete. I still want him tho.
KezbjZ.gif

Crotch powers!!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I guess I just find the unusual shade of blue and that small-pupils-to-gigantic-irises ratio to look a little unsettling.

Yeah, they always go all-out with the intro CG. Though I'm still waiting for one to top Tekken 5's awesome double decker intro sandwich.

Sayah

He already released his awesomeness on everybody and especially on Heihachi.Knocked him out with what seemed like his sexual powers from his crotch. Mission complete. I still want him tho.

I would take Jinpachi, Miguel, Zafina over Gigas, Josie, and Lucky Chloe any day. But that's just me.

I guess I just find the unusual shade of blue and that small-pupils-to-gigantic-irises ratio to look a little unsettling.

That's what I find cool. haha.

Sayah

I know one family that won't be buying Tekken 7 because it has Devil Jin in it.

I hope we get some new character reveals soon. Who is guaranteed to come back that isn't on the roster yet? Lei, Nina, Julia, and Bears?

Nina is obvious.
Not too sure about Lei, Julia, or Bears tbh.

Edit: Also, if we get bears or roger, I want that next-gen fur technology.
Don't y'all know that Nina jumped ship?

hqdefault.jpg

LMAO!!!!

The video has terrible quality but I did what I could anyway.

Here you go.

http://gifyu.com/images/Untitled-24dadd.gif

If anyone else needs any gifs done, let me know while I'm on this photoshop binge.

Numb

Don't y'all know that Nina jumped ship?

hqdefault.jpg

Something like that.

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/622293862233436160

Don't know if "other tournaments" have happened yet.
Fantastic.
T7 already has alot of new character but i wouldn't mind another 2 or so. The more simple and cleaner they are the better. No weird stuff.

Ken is getting a face lift im sure. Please give Birdie a diffrent alt body or hide all that.

You bring up something interesting, I've got ideas about this, and how they tie into Tekken.
Would like to hear.

Sayah

You bring up something interesting, I've got ideas about this, and how they tie into Tekken.

Miguel and Jinpachi easily tie in with the ongoing story.

I don't think Miguel ever got revenge for his sister? So he still has reason to seek out Jin.
Jinpachi is very much tied to the whole family drama. If dead mama mishima can make a resurgence, then he can too.

Though, Zafina's story is more specifically tied with Tekken 6 and the events with Azazel and her story doesn't seem to have much more purpose beyond that. Still, they can come up with something for her.

I would take Jinpachi, Miguel, Zafina over Gigas, Josie, and Lucky Chloe any day. But that's just me.

Leave Josie alone D=

I'd take Jun and Kunimitsu over Gigas and Claudio or Lucky Chloe myself <.<

I'm surprised Jaycee hasn't made it in yet. Seems like such an obvious pick.

Sayah

Leave Josie alone D=

I'd take Jun and Kunimitsu over Gigas and Claudio or Lucky Chloe myself <.<

I'm surprised Jaycee hasn't made it in yet. Seems like such an obvious pick.

I am actually fine with Josie but I would take Zafina or Kunimitsu over her any day.

Not at all a fan of Gigas design, though. I don't want to see his butt while I'm doing combos. It's gonna be so distracting. lol.
http://gifyu.com/images/Teeeeken.gif
He also has teeth apparently. Wonder if there's a human in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom