• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin's Creed Unity

daninthemix

Just got around to playing this. Have done the main quest and quite a lot of side content. One thing that really annoys me is how so much of the critical attention was directed at bugs rather than the desperately flawed, non-evolving gameplay. As a result, most of the reviews are now irrelevant since the bugs and performance were fixed by patches to a certain extent. Runs fine for me, anyway, and goes to show how much stock games reviewers place in that all-important launch week.

As to the game itself, as someone who's been playing this series since 2007 - and always equal parts amazed and irritated by it - I have to paraphrase Homer Simpson:

"Same old garbage".

The three components of the game - traversal, combat and stealth - are all equally flawed, as they have been in every entrant in this series.

Parkour is as unreliable as ever. The addition of the 'down' button is very much appreciated, but Arno is just as likely as his predecessors to suddenly get stuck on a bucket or washing pole and refuse to move, whether or not you're in the middle of some timed mission objective or trying to escape ten pursuers. As has been repeatedly noted, entering building windows is particularly troublesome as Arno will seemingly clamber every which way except inside the damn thing.

Combat is worse than before. Sometimes I want to shoot an enemy before he sees me, but even after pressing the button nothing happens because the game is 'transitioning' into the combat state, so Arno has to get his sword out, assume his stance etc. Equally, the game seems reticent to let me get on with my life long after combat has ended because I haven't performed some finisher on the last enemy, so we're still in the combat state. Often I can't interact with things because "combat is nearby" even if that combat has nothing to do with me. The camera regularly locks itself into a position that doesn't show enemies who are attacking me. The dodge function frequently fails to work when I most need it - trying to avoid the pinpoint sniper fire of enemies whose accuracy is not congruent with the weapons of their era. The fact that Arno insists on performing a long-winded finisher on each and every enemy before allowing me to easily move onto the next is as galling as it is boring. Exercising agency over who Arno attacks seems to be, for the most part, impossible. I also hate how two or more enemies will attack in short sequence, meaning you have to parry again and again, without having time to get any jabs of your own in. Seems like a way of just stretching out combat yet further, when it’s already flabby to the point of crapulence.

Many problems stem from the introduction of the character development systems. Because of those ill-conceived, half-baked mechanisms we now have to earn our way to basic abilities that were always present in prior assassins, and we have to grind our way through a nonsensical gear ladder in order to maintain par with an arbitrary difficulty system that assigns enemies a 1-5 star rank. If your gear is ranked lower than the enemy's, trying to fight them is often an exercise in futility, regardless of how immersion-breaking it is seeing an enemy receive twelve sword thrusts to the face and lose no health. Frustrated players may well be tempted into spending real money to shortcut the arduous gear tree, and this was absolutely Ubi’s intention. Why give players a difficulty selection when you can get them to pay more money instead?

The most fun comes from using berserk blades to cause enemies to fight each other. Brilliantly, if you hit a couple of enemies with berserks, the effect will often, somehow, spread to other enemies, resulting in a brawl of crazies which you can watch from the rooftops. Fantastic fun, as it was in Black Flag, but here Ubi are absurdly stingy with the blades – until you upgrade Arno’s gear you just get 2, and they’re expensive to replenish. It speaks volumes as to Ubi’s priorities – take the single most fun thing from the previous game and heavily ration it, in an effect to emphasise the character progression system and microtransactions lurking behind it.

The addition of a dedicated stealth button is good, but why oh why does merely running down the street attract so much attention from guards? It’s like the game was either designed by or for people suffering from ADD, who can’t bear to go more than 10 seconds without combat. That might be tolerable if the combat was good, but it isn’t. It’s execrable.

Regarding the optional content, I thoroughly enjoyed the detective missions. They were a lovely change of pace (no combat, thank heavens). I might’ve enjoyed the Nostradamus enigmas for the same reason, but they were too hard. Couldn’t figure them out, and using a guide for them just seems to defeat the point so I skipped them. I also skipped the rift missions as the glitchy visuals and time pressure don’t gel well with the capricious parkour (for the same reason, timed objectives during the main quest were also frustrating). The Paris stories and other random sidequests are enjoyable for the most part, and some of them are surprisingly long.

The collectibles are laughable, of course, but you can ignore them if you like (though it would be nice if the game had customisable map filters like Far Cry 4). I don’t get why the difficulty of a chest doesn’t seem to correlate with the quality of its contents. Nor why every red chest is guarded by three or four enemies. It makes no sense that the full-time job of those four people is to guard a treasure chest sitting in a courtyard. Combat! Have you had some in the last thirty seconds? No? Here’s some more! Oh Ubi. Calm down. The fact you have to earn three skills in order to unlock all of the chests was poorly thought out, as you’ll end up simply passing a lot of locks that you won’t bother returning to.

Amazing world, troubling gameplay. Same as always, same as it’s been for the past 8 years.

The combat and forced levelling really put me off, the level requirements were very clearly a way to force people to keep playing longer or fork over $$$ for microtransactions to speed up the process.

kyser73

I'm through the first bit and haven't been back to it for months. Thinking of trading it for another copy of Black Flag which I enjoyed immensely and regret trading for NFS Rivals.

I recently played Black Flag which was the first in the series I played properly since Brotherhood (dabbled in some others but never finished them), and the on-foot stuff is still so crap. I loved the sailing sections, but the on-foot controls are poor, the combat is so stale and has been far superseded by Arkham Asylum six years ago, and the core aspects of the game are so horrible repetitive and haven't evolved at all since ACII. The whole series needs a couple of years off and some gameplay systems to be re-built from the ground up.

I expect it will take Ubi a few more entries to realise this, at which point they'll have built Watch Dogs into an annual franchise to buffer AC's fiscal failings anyway,

Ace001

I'm interested in playing this for the French history, however, after reading the impressions here, I won't be paying much for it

Regarding the optional content, I thoroughly enjoyed the detective missions. They were a lovely change of pace (no combat, thank heavens). I might’ve enjoyed the Nostradamus enigmas for the same reason, but they were too hard. Couldn’t figure them out, and using a guide for them just seems to defeat the point so I skipped them.

Yeah, I enjoyed these, too. I got a lot of the Nostradamus enigmas myself, but ended up having to use a walkthrough to finish them off.

At this point, I really don't think Ubisoft is interested in fixing anything about Assassin's Creed. The combat and traversal have been varying levels of bad since the first game, and I think they've reached the point where they're just expending as little effort as possible to keep churning out a game every year until they stop selling. Make the new city, think of a new mechanic or two to feature in trailers, call it a day. I'm going to be really interested to see how well Syndicate ends up selling this year.

This is the one that killed the series for me.

Frustrating (not fun) combat, wonky traversal (I didn't have much of an issue with previous games) and while it looked pretty I found this one more... chore-like than I have with any previous title despite Platinuming a bunch of them.

Oh - and they stripped the only competitive multi-player mode I've ever had fun with in favour for boring co-op missions where no one worked together.

RIP Assassin's Creed.

Edit: Oh and I bought it only about two months ago when it was SUPER cheap like I said I was after the reveal. Still wasn't worth it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I have to say that as a year long AC fan Unity is REALLY offputting to me. I just played the ENTIRE series in a row (yeah, I'm crazy) and had fun with every single entry. But now that I'm on Unity I can't get myself to continue playing it even though the graphics are absolutely amazing.

I can't say what I dislike more on this game. The half-baked story with barely any proper introduction? The absolutely horrible combat (why change the fluidity of the fighting when you change NOTHING else??)? Forced Coop shit popping up everywhere? The disastrous gear upgrading (it becomes so friggin obvious Ubi wants me to spend more real money on this game...)?

I can't even.... I mean, I even loved AC3 but Unity has really taken the wrong direction. I do appreciate that they tried to do more assassination missions but it does feel very misplaced because they haven't properly adapted the controls for this kind of gameplay.

I still plan to force myself through this but I really hope they retrace on a lot of things with Syndicate or otherwise Ubisoft has lost me.

velociraptor

I've had this game sitting in my Steam library since launch as I was worried my measly GPU wouldn't handle it. Might give this a spin tomorrow. Is this actually as bad as everyone has said? I've actually enjoyed most AC games, including the universally despised ACIII. Black Flags felt like the most boring one however.

I'm through the first bit and haven't been back to it for months. Thinking of trading it for another copy of Black Flag which I enjoyed immensely and regret trading for NFS Rivals.

Not sure if you have Xbox one, but Black Flag is actually free till the end of the month with games with gold.

Man, if only Ubi would just take their sweet time to make the ultimate AC.
Make the controls as smooth as possible, make the assassinations as freeform as Hitman or Dishonored, create meaningful quests and side-quests like The Witcher 3, don't shove all these marker icons and collectibles in my face and stop with the insane hand-holding and those awful instructions in caps and highlights, treating us like idiots.

If only.

I'm planning to wait for this to hit €5, then buy it and just enjoy walking around Paris and not play the missions or anything. Sort of treat it like a history/geography book.

Because it sounds like the "game" part is something I want nothing to do with.

daninthemix

Oh - and they stripped the only competitive multi-player mode I've ever had fun with in favour for boring co-op missions where no one worked together.

Forgot about that. If you don't do the co-op missions, as far as I can tell you won't have anywhere near enough sync points to fully upgrade your character. That's another thing that annoyed me about the upgrade system.

I'm planning to wait for this to hit €5, then buy it and just enjoy walking around Paris and not play the missions or anything. Sort of treat it like a history/geography book.

Because it sounds like the "game" part is something I want nothing to do with.

Yep, sounds like a plan. Good for an hour or two's historical tourism and that's about it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The combat and forced levelling really put me off, the level requirements were very clearly a way to force people to keep playing longer or fork over $$$ for microtransactions to speed up the process.
If this was true than they wouldn't have put into a mission that can be completed in 5-10 minutes which also gives you a ridiculous amount of money(accessible from the second you can customize Arno), or a shit ton of chests around the map, or give you tons of high level gear by playing co-op missions solo or co-op, heck you don't even have to do that, play the main campaign will give you money. Upgrading the Cafe Theatre also gives you money. Seriously by the end of the game you had more than enough money for gear.

Khayam

Banned
I loved the whole gameplay of the game.

This is a big step from Black Flag which had the shittiest gameplay (not talking about naval warfare). In Unity, you actually feel like you're an assassin and you have a lot of tools to do what you want.

Some stuff is missing, there are a few times when the parkour doesn't behave but AC is one of the few games that is trying to do something different about movement in a video game. When you see how barebones and simple is the parkour system of Shadow of Mordor, you understand just how much effort went into making the parkour system of ACU an actual thing.

The writing of the game was horrible though...

It was the Assassin's Creed I enjoyed the most since Brotherhood. Hell, it was the only AC I even *played* past the first two hours after Brotherhood.

Did almost everything on it, except for two achievements.

Felt like a good effort with most things almost greatly executed. Lots of polish needed here and there and the engine definitely needs some work.

To me the formula, even with the little innovations here and there is tired and somewhat dead (insert nothing to see here.gif). Probably Unity was my last AC and it was a fair goodbye.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The combat was awful. I never really had that many issues with the previous games' combat, but in Unity their attempt to 'fix' it made it truly horrible.

codhand

pointless collectibles and walled-content aside, the story missions are way better than Black Flag. also the combat and traversal are objectively better.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I actually liked the game quite a bit, but its clear that microtransactions negatively affected the game design.

As you said, requiring you to take the long path to upgrade your gear AND having an insanely ridiculous amounts of collectibles, which were required for the platinum trophy.

What was worse is that the viewpoints would reveal MOST, but not all of the collectibles, which seemed like a way to get you to buy the reveal all map.

Don't even get me started on that fucking frustrating as all fuck lockpicking. I know its easy for some, but when you have slow reflexes like me, its hard.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
pointless collectibles and walled-content aside, the story missions are way better than Black Flag. also the combat and traversal are objectively better.

How was it "better"? It may have been harder in all the wrong ways, but I can't say it was better. They just threw ridiculous amounts of enemies at you.

It's probably my favorite in the series since 2. Also if you simply bolster your cafe up a bit you get more than enough money almost immediately.

codhand

How was it "better"? It may have been harder in all the wrong ways, but I can't say it was better. They just threw ridiculous amounts of enemies at you.

for one they took out "insta-fail" states, and pointless "tail" missions

people like black flag because of the sailing, that clouds their memory of how shit single player story missions were

daninthemix

for one they took out "insta-fail" states, and pointless "tail" missions

people like black flag because of the sailing, that clouds their memory of how shit single player story missions were

That was an improvement, although a couple of missions were still time-sensitive, like the one where you have to chase the boats. I remember thinking to myself "the parkour still isn't good enough for any sort of time-sensitive challenge", which is why the rift missions are rather dull.

Jigorath

Banned
Just look at all this useless crap on the map.

assassins-creed-unity-44.jpg
WHO FINDS THIS FUN

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm grateful for this game breaking my addiction to this franchise.

I knew they were bad, but I kept buying them. Something about this game though, even well before the disastrous release looked really off to me, so I ended up not getting it.

Since then I've ignored Rogue and what I've seen of Syndicate holds no interest to me. I think I'm actually free of this.

FREEDOM!

daninthemix

Just look at all this useless crap on the map.

WHO FINDS THIS FUN

Like I said, Far Cry 4 has the perfect map. Of the 50 or so different icon types, you can enable or disable each one, and your preference is saved. Don't Ubi studios and directors talk, or something?

With a map as busy as this one, the crappy choices you get (missions, everything, "selective", etc) just aren't nearly enough. I should be able to hide all the co-op missions. All the collectibles, etc.

I just started playing Rouge on PC. SUCH a better gamer...seriously. Better story, starts like AC4 then you end up in a small city..so has the best of both worlds. AC2 and AC4. Runs sooo much better than unity.

Dcube

Agreed, for all I hoped the jump to new hardware would bring out some changes it was just the same old crap. Makes me want to vent too.
The combat feels clunky, animations broken all over the place, no fluidity. Firing a pistol at some enemies point blank and they still roll away.
No human shield stuff to block bullets, enemies that fire old timey pistols into a huge crowd of civilians within a second of taking aim and still manage to snipe your ass from across the map.
The parkour I thought would be finally fixed with the run up / down button was just crap, climbing in windows being a particular nightmare. The run and climb buttons need to be separated.
Running should mean that when I want to sharp turn into an alley or through a house to avoid soldiers, the run button should help you around corners and past objects, not take you running up and climbing a damn building because you were just too close to the wall.
If I want to do that, I should hold a button to make it happen. Too much of this game is on a crappy autopilot.
I liked the gear system until I found out it was just the same equipment over and over with new tiers for more money.
Then there is some of the worst AI I have every seen in a game my God.
I could just go on with this game, as a fan of the series it just hurts to see so much potential wasted.
Instead of the same game getting minor changes and new scenery we need a complete overhaul of the basics. It feels clunky, like some monster stitched together from mismatched parts, it needs to flow. It could be so fun....

daninthemix

Firing a pistol at some enemies point blank and they still roll away.

Lucky you that your pistol shot even registered! Soooooo many times, I've tried to sneak in a shot before entering combat but it was too late. Combat state initiated. Arno slowly puts his pistol away. Slowly gets out his sword. Slowly assumes his fencing stance. Slowly does everything. Several seconds in which my input is completely ignored every single time combat occurs.

It was the Assassin's Creed I enjoyed the most since Brotherhood. Hell, it was the only AC I even *played* past the first two hours after Brotherhood.

Did almost everything on it, except for two achievements.

Felt like a good effort with most things almost greatly executed. Lots of polish needed here and there and the engine definitely needs some work.

To me the formula, even with the little innovations here and there is tired and somewhat dead (insert nothing to see here.gif). Probably Unity was my last AC and it was a fair goodbye.

A friend of mine read this post and gifted me Chronicles: China.

Now THAT'S an Assassin's Creed game I CAN and WANT to play. Pretty awesome!

I can slog through just about any Assassins Creed. I can turn my brain off and just run around collecting stupid crap all over the map. Unity was my tipping point. It's so goddamn boring that I tossed it after a few hours. Coming from the excellent Black Flag, this game was a colossal disappointment.

antitrop

Like I said, Far Cry 4 has the perfect map. Of the 50 or so different icon types, you can enable or disable each one, and your preference is saved. Don't Ubi studios and directors talk, or something?

My favorite thing about Far Cry 4 is that they didn't force me to 100% the game for the Platinum Trophy. I got it at like 75% or so.

That is something that I was really worried about after Unity, there was such a huge focus on how buggy the game was that there were nearly no complaints about how boring the gameplay was. Now with the new game coming up, it seems like its the same old crap, nothing new, but hey this time it works so it's okay right?

Teddified

I'm going through it currently right now, and I really wish i could map the counter/parry button to triangle. That would make things a bit easier for me.

I'll probably end up doing mostly everything in it, except for the co-op trophies since I'll probably just do all the missions solo. But I wasn't really engaged in the story at all until like the 6'th sequence and even then there's just something about it or the presentation that bothers me I can't really pinpoint it. Also the whole sync points thing is silly, I'd rather just have abilities staggered through out the story then having to do co-op missions while also searching for collectables in them.

Overall it's just somewhat of a disappointment to me. If I had to rate it it would probably be like a 7/10 to me so far, and I don't see that changing as I continue in the game. The Co-op stuff really just grinds my gears and just kinda seems forced. I'd rather those missions have been just single player and that Arno actually talked and interacted with people during them and the other side missions.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Rogue > Black Flag > Unity in my opinion.

I played Unity after the majority of bugs and glitches were fixed and it was just boring the majority of the time. Not a bad or horrible game as I have played worse but coming off of Black Flag, it was a disappointment and between the two AC games that were released in 2014, Rogue was the better one.

Black Flag was excellent but had way too many eavesdropping missions. Rogue was better because the story and characters were better, there's a connection between Rogue and Unity that they amazingly fucked up in Unity and there's no eavesdropping missions at all in Rogue. I don't think that there were any in Unity either but it just wasn't fun.

Hoping Syndicate will be better but I highly doubt it. What I really wish Ubisoft would do is make a new IP based on Black Flag's and Rogue's ship battles because they were so much fun to play.

EBE

I've got the entire upper half of the map completely free of chests and all side quests.
It's been a slow burn.

I have to say that as a year long AC fan Unity is REALLY offputting to me. I just played the ENTIRE series in a row (yeah, I'm crazy) and had fun with every single entry. But now that I'm on Unity I can't get myself to continue playing it even though the graphics are absolutely amazing.

I can't say what I dislike more on this game. The half-baked story with barely any proper introduction? The absolutely horrible combat (why change the fluidity of the fighting when you change NOTHING else??)? Forced Coop shit popping up everywhere? The disastrous gear upgrading (it becomes so friggin obvious Ubi wants me to spend more real money on this game...)?

I can't even.... I mean, I even loved AC3 but Unity has really taken the wrong direction. I do appreciate that they tried to do more assassination missions but it does feel very misplaced because they haven't properly adapted the controls for this kind of gameplay.

I still plan to force myself through this but I really hope they retrace on a lot of things with Syndicate or otherwise Ubisoft has lost me.
This is exactly how I was and how I left odd...it was my favorite series...but lack of Rogue on current gen and Unity really left bad tastes in my mouth. I just bought an X1 and might replay 4 there since I have no achievements on this console...maybe that'll rekindle the flame...but God Unity is utter shit no matter what snake oil Eden tries selling you.

daninthemix

Uggh, Dead Kings seems to be even worse than the main game. Much buggier in terms of collision errors, areas where Arno JUST WON'T MOVE, and a couple of times he's stopped responding to all but directional input so I can no longer parry or evade enemy attacks!

I'll be so glad to have this game uninstalled and out of my life. Literally only Ubisoft has ever managed to inspire this kind of hatred in me.

The murder mysteries were really fun and I thought the recreation of France was gorgeous. As was mentioned, the movement was pretty poor and combat was janky, especially in multiplayer.

I still think Black Flag is the best AC since AC 2, but Unity was decent in its own right. However, it was still a game with next-gen detail but last-gen gameplay. That doesn't bode well these days.

Jolkien

So I just finished playing the game (grabbed it for 15$) and the only thing that comes to mind is confusion. Mind you I hated Assassin Creed 1, I haven't played a single one until Black Flag which I really enjoyed (even got the platinum for it since it was one of the three games I picked up on the PS4 release day)

For of all the story. Arno suddenly
gets kicked out of the brotherhood with no warning from the plot whatsoever. And even if you just got ban you can still walk in their place no problem at all.and then he magicly ends up back as a Master Assassin after a few year (When he and Napoleon go back to Germaine's corpse, why ? no clue)
There's plenty of other problem with the story but those two spot really jumped at me,

The whole game served no purpose it seemed,
the people in real life wants you to find a sage for the triple helix stuff ok alright. Then the ending makes this irrelevant since they can't use it and they briefly mention it when the credits roll. I was really disappointed when I saw you get the sword at the end and it's effect is gone

On the good side the art direction was really good I loved how Paris was depicted, the building had great details, especially the interior. The traversal was working great when it was doing what I wanted, I saw the tips about holding L2 while free running to enter a building so many time when I was fighting to get inside a god damn window or to stop sticking on a tiny ledge so I could step on the roof to go shank a sniper The finisher animation looked really cool especially the double assassination while sprinting. And when you bring a guy to his knee and you jump on a wall right behind the guy and impale it on your blade. Combat mechanic felt way worse than Black Flag I hated the new parry mechanic. Got hit a lot of time when I'm sure I pressed circle in time and sometime you get hit then you stagger then get hit again.

I did not bother with the collect-a-thons thankfully you can filter the map with missions only. Did a few side missions, saw that their story sucked. I only did the murder solving one they were a nice change of pace.There is still a lot of time where the frame rate tank on PS4 but those technical thing don't make or break a game for me I just noticed them.

Really by the book experience a 6/10 for me, and I'm glad I only paid 15$ for it. IMO Ubisoft need to really step up their game in writing department, their AI really need works and micro-transaction policy too (seriously pushing their HACK resources or whatever for up to 100$... disgusting).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
For of all the story. Arno suddenly
gets kicked out of the brotherhood with no warning from the plot whatsoever. And even if you just got ban you can still walk in their place no problem at all.and then he magicly ends up back as a Master Assassin after a few year (When he and Napoleon go back to Germaine's corpse, why ? no clue)
There's plenty of other problem with the story but those two spot really jumped at me,

The whole game served no purpose it seemed,
the people in real life wants you to find a sage for the triple helix stuff ok alright. Then the ending makes this irrelevant since they can't use it and they briefly mention it when the credits roll. I was really disappointed when I saw you get the sword at the end and it's effect is gone
On Arno:While they didn't exactly foreshadow that he'd be exiled from the brotherhood, (which is why it was surprising), it makes sense given his interactions with the members of the council. I mean aside from the fact that they were pissed that his actions led to the death of Bellec and Mirabeau, (bringing Elise to the brotherhood's base), there is a LONG stretch of time where he is doing what he wants with Elise and taking out targets without permission. Being able to walk back into the hideout was likely a gameplay mistake not canon to the story.

The biggest modern day twists of the story were reduced to text files. The audio files are still in the game technically.

You can find out about some of the story changes here.

Top Bottom