• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin's Creed Unity

d9b

Banned
Pretty game, but boring with mediocre story. Because of how dissapointing it was , I'll avoid next AC like plague.

daninthemix

On Arno:While they didn't exactly foreshadow that he'd be exiled from the brotherhood, (which is why it was surprising), it makes sense given his interactions with the members of the council. I mean aside from the fact that they were pissed that his actions led to the death of Bellec and Mirabeau, (bringing Elise to the brotherhood's base), there is a LONG stretch of time where he is doing what he wants with Elise and taking out targets without permission. Being able to walk back into the hideout was likely a gameplay mistake not canon to the story.

The biggest modern day twists of the story were reduced to text files. The audio files are still in the game technically.

You can find out about some of the story changes here.

I have to say I've never had issues with AC's story, in fact I've always found it rather intriguing, even the whole precursors thing. Heck, last night I was even enjoying wandering around the Abstergo offices in AC Rogue, hacking computers for lore.

World + story = great
Gameplay = teethmarks in my own fist

Jolkien

On Arno:While they didn't exactly foreshadow that he'd be exiled from the brotherhood, (which is why it was surprising), it makes sense given his interactions with the members of the council. I mean aside from the fact that they were pissed that his actions led to the death of Bellec and Mirabeau, (bringing Elise to the brotherhood's base), there is a LONG stretch of time where he is doing what he wants with Elise and taking out targets without permission. Being able to walk back into the hideout was likely a gameplay mistake not canon to the story.

The biggest modern day twists of the story were reduced to text files. The audio files are still in the game technically.

You can find out about some of the story changes here.

Thanks I'll make sure to listen to these.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Can someone explain to me why syncing a viewpoint does NOT show you all activities in that area you just revealed? Or am I missing something? This makes me outright angry. What the fuck is this shit?

Fractal

Banned
Can someone explain to me why syncing a viewpoint does NOT show you all activities in that area you just revealed? Or am I missing something? This makes me outright angry. What the fuck is this shit?
You need to buy a Time Saver Packs, they'll reveal the chests and other collectables. They cost Helix points which typically cost real money, but you should be able to get some from Uplay for free (on PC, can't say about other platforms), and you get some as you progress in the game. All in all, it's their little attempt at introducing microtransactions.

GeoGonzo

You need to buy a Time Saver Packs, they'll reveal the chests and other collectables. They cost Helix points which typically cost real money, but you should be able to get some from Uplay for free (on PC, can't say about other platforms), and you get some as you progress in the game. All in all, it's their little attempt at introducing microtransactions.
No joke, that was the last straw for me. Even if I -didn't- need to pay real money to unlock videogame maps due to the Helix points that the game gives you... that whole thing reeked. Worse than the companion app bullshit back then, I'd say.

Fractal

Banned
No joke, that was the last straw for me. Even if I -didn't- need to pay real money to unlock videogame maps due to the Helix points that the game gives you... that whole thing reeked. Worse than the companion app bullshit back then, I'd say.
I decided to buy the game only after the companion app was removed, no way I'd bother with it. Finished it only a few days ago (100% completion)... though I had no idea about those Time Saver Packs. Managed to get them for free, but yeah... it wasn't a pleasant surprise.

daninthemix

I decided to buy the game only after the companion app was removed, no way I'd bother with it. Finished it only a few days ago (100% completion)... though I had no idea about those Time Saver Packs. Managed to get them for free, but yeah... it wasn't a pleasant surprise.

100% completion??? May I ask how many hours that took, and how many of those were enjoyable?

Fractal

Banned
100% completion??? May I ask how many hours that took, and how many of those were enjoyable?
I can't find the exact number of hours because I uninstalled it, but it's around 50, DLC included. Also, it wasn't really a chore since the world is beautiful and really pleasant to explore. AC3 was much more of a chore in this regard.

That said, the biggest problems I had with the game were the imprecise movement (windows!) and too much forced combat, like you said. I much prefered the counter and streak based combat from the previous titles since you could get rid of the enemies much quicker, and brutal animations were a nice touch.

daninthemix

I can't find the exact number of hours because I uninstalled it, but it's around 50, DLC included. Also, it wasn't really a chore since the world is beautiful and really pleasant to explore. AC3 was much more of a chore in this regard.

That said, the biggest problems I had with the game were the imprecise movement (windows!) and too much forced combat, like you said. I much prefered the counter and streak based combat from the previous titles since you could get rid of the enemies much quicker, and brutal animations were a nice touch.

Yeah that's the thing - because both movement and combat are flawed, I could only manage a 50% completion before uninstalling in disgust. Yes the world is beautiful but that only goes so far when the actual gameplay mechanics are so adversarial to fun.

Fractal

Banned
Yeah that's the thing - because both movement and combat are flawed, I could only manage a 50% completion before uninstalling in disgust. Yes the world is beautiful but that only goes so far when the actual gameplay mechanics are so adversarial to fun.
That's understandable... but for me AC games are those games you come back to despite all the flaws, which are plentiful. You could say I've grown accustomed to the shortcomings.

That said, I'm starting to get burnt out on the series, think it might soon be a time to move on. We'll see how Syndicate turns out...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Disgusting. I thought this time saver shit was some cheat or something that lets you automatically complete those missions you buy.

I just checked in game. In total you need 600 helix points for all the time savers. I was able to get 200 additional points via Uplay for free. Some I already had ingame. However, it was not enough to unlock all time savers. I still need some 180 helix points to unlock the remaining two. Makes me want to puke...

After all those years I supported this franchise....

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wanna push this back up because I'm having an absolute crazy turnaround for this game. It's almost on Dark Souls level.

I didn't really like the game for a long time. Around 2/3 of it I could barely do one story mission before I had to play something else. But in this last 3/3 something clicked, idk. I finished the game (like the ending btw. as it was unexpected
I expected a happy ending of some sort
), restarted it immediately and now I'm fucking loving it for some reason.

I think the biggest problem of this game is that they scaled down the tutorial way too much. As someone who came straight from the old parts I struggled with all the new aspects. But once I got it, the new traversal system is fucking amazing. I find myself jump around the rooftops just for shits and jiggles because it really feels good. Animation work is just amazing in this game.
The combat is also not that bad imo once you realize that, unlike for the older AC games, you are not meant to fight hordes of enemies and if they gang up on you it's better to just reload.

I also think that the story is more clear the second time around because the game throws so many characters at you, I found it really hard to follow the events. Kinda like in Game of Thrones.

Oh, and about those time saver packs... I couldn't find out how you actually earn those helix points to buy them (I guess I got them with perfect synch or something) but I do think that you can get enough points in the game to buy all packs without having to invest real coin. It's still a shitty practice and I hope Ubi learned something because of the backlash but yeah, it's not THAT bad in the end.

Anyway, after bitching so much about the game I kinda feel stupid to say now that I ended up liking it but that's just how I feel.

Anyone else had this change of mind for ACU?

Ceadeus

I think the game looks stunning. It's impressive, really. It looks and sound good.

But damn, everything else is barelly ok.

The framerate makes the game unplayable.

SentryDown

It’s like the game was either designed by or for people suffering from ADD, who can’t bear to go more than 10 seconds without combat.

Why do gamers feel the need to include offensive messages to game developers when they don't like what they did ? That's unnecessarily rude sir.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think the game looks stunning. It's impressive, really. It looks and sound good.

But damn, everything else is barelly ok.

The framerate makes the game unplayable.
Playing with 60 fps mostly on PC. :)

Why do gamers feel the need to include offensive messages to game developers when they don't like what they did ? That's unnecessarily rude sir.
What he says it's also untrue btw.
You can mostly avoid combat in this game. There are tons of these bullies on the streets but you can always just run by them. They'll spot you, but they'll usually never attack if you just keep running. And the normal French soldiers will never attack you except if you kill someone in front of them.

Montresor

What he says it's also untrue btw.
You can mostly avoid combat in this game. There are tons of these bullies on the streets but you can always just run by them. They'll spot you, but they'll usually never attack if you just keep running. And the normal French soldiers will never attack you except if you kill someone in front of them.

I find what you're saying to be incorrect, because I found that a lot of the red chests are guarded by red guards and require fighting to get to. The co-op missions also require a ton of fighting too.

I loved the first 40 hours of the game and would've given the game a 4.5/5. But then I kept playing and playing to get the 1000/1000. Collecting the chests and doing the co-op missions was such a soulless monotonous grind. It's turned me off AC completely. I now give the game a 2/5 overall and I'm skipping both Rogue and Syndicate.

The most fun comes from using berserk blades to cause enemies to fight each other. Brilliantly, if you hit a couple of enemies with berserks, the effect will often, somehow, spread to other enemies, resulting in a brawl of crazies which you can watch from the rooftops. Fantastic fun, as it was in Black Flag, but here Ubi are absurdly stingy with the blades – until you upgrade Arno’s gear you just get 2, and they’re expensive to replenish. It speaks volumes as to Ubi’s priorities – take the single most fun thing from the previous game and heavily ration it, in an effect to emphasise the character progression system and microtransactions lurking behind it.

It's a bit tin foil hat to suggest the reason Ubisoft ration the berserk blades is because Ubisoft is trying to ration fun.

Wouldn't it make more sense to assume the reason behind rationing them is because berserk blades are - as Black Flag proved, and as you've described - far too powerful? They're still too powerful in Unity, they make almost every assassination mission or combat scenario a breeze. Add in smoke bombs, for whenever something does somehow go wrong, and you can go through the game without a scratch.

I agree with the rest of your post though. I think Unity is why I'm so apathetic towards Syndicate.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
One thing that really annoys me is how so much of the critical attention was directed at bugs rather than the desperately flawed, non-evolving gameplay.

I have been saying this since I played it last December. It's such an incredibly dull game with an inconsequential story that goes absolutely nowhere. In the grand scheme of AC's story I have no idea what that game achieved. They are clearly making it up game-by-game now after they fucked up AC3's ending.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I have been saying this since I played it last December. It's such an incredibly dull game with an inconsequential story that goes absolutely nowhere. In the grand scheme of AC's story I have no idea what that game achieved. They are clearly making it up game-by-game now after they fucked up AC3's ending.

Same. People made a mountain out of a (relative) molehill with the bugs and ignored the fact that even if it had been technically flawless it still wouldn't actually have been very fun to play.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I find what you're saying to be incorrect, because I found that a lot of the red chests are guarded by red guards and require fighting to get to. The co-op missions also require a ton of fighting too.
The chests are usually guarded by now more than two guards, which can be killed easily...
Never did any coop missions so I can't comment on that.

I loved the first 40 hours of the game and would've given the game a 4.5/5. But then I kept playing and playing to get the 1000/1000. Collecting the chests and doing the co-op missions was such a soulless monotonous grind. It's turned me off AC completely. I now give the game a 2/5 overall and I'm skipping both Rogue and Syndicate.
Well, I guess it can get monotonous if you just focus on the filler. I currently keep switching around between chest, assassination missions, homicide cases and the Nostradamus riddles so it doesn't really get boring.

Montresor

The chests are usually guarded by now more than two guards, which can be killed easily...
Never did any coop missions so I can't comment on that.

Well, I guess it can get monotonous if you just focus on the filler. I currently keep switching around between chest, assassination missions, homicide cases and the Nostradamus riddles so it doesn't really get boring.

It may be different on the PC version then. On the XB1 version, there were almost always 3-4 red guards at every red chest.

Here's how I felt about Unity in the honeymoon period (first 40 hours). I loved the game. I was ecstatic about it: initial review

Here's how I felt about Unity after playing another 55 hours. I went from a 4.5/5 to a 2/5 and I don't want to play any AC games anymore: final review

Trashbat

Having just returned from a break to Paris, I fired it up last night (ps4). Incredible how well they captured the visual look of the city.

Shame its still a boring story, with poor controls and horrible pop-in. I just can't bring myself to finish it - especially when i open that cluttered map

Have played all the others; generally a big AC fan, so here's hoping Syndicate is an improvement.

Alx

Having just returned from a break to Paris, I fired it up last night (ps4). Incredible how well they captured the visual look of the city.

Shame its still a boring story, with poor controls and horrible pop-in. I just can't bring myself to finish it - especially when i open that cluttered map

Have played all the others; generally a big AC fan, so here's hoping Syndicate is an improvement.

Playing the right episode of AC just after having visited the real thing is a great experience indeed. I remember how I appreciated ACII after coming back from Florence and Venice (even if the city reproduction was approximative). Istanbul was great too.

Yasae

Banned
My views have also slightly diminished. 7/10. The later missions where you have to hop around precisely show more than a few of the weaknesses to the weighty parkour. The game's okay. I'm dog tired of this series though. It needs to disappear and re-emerge an entirely different genre in 2020 or something equally extreme.

Canadian

I recently started playing AC: Unity and I'm having a fun time with it. I've played through the entire series so far and enjoyed them all.

While I did enjoy the sailing in Black Flag I missed exploring a big open city. Paris looks great and there are a few technical issues, character pop ins and some slowdowns but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. I feel the game has improved in its three areas: parkour, stealth and combat compared to previous games, parkour getting the biggest improvement.

I'm looking forward to putting in more time and seeing how my feelings change about the game over time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
While I did enjoy the sailing in Black Flag I missed exploring a big open city.

Yeah, Black Flag's largest locations don't even compare favourably to 3's (ignoring the ocean and frontier, respectively), which was disappointing, especially after watching a promo video within which it was stated the design of Havana was inspired by 2's Venice. All things considered, I think Unity is the best entry since 2/Brotherhood, but I'll admit my opinion is coloured by the fact it's the first AssCreed since the Ezio trilogy that offers a well-realised city to run around in.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I recently started playing AC: Unity and I'm having a fun time with it. I've played through the entire series so far and enjoyed them all.

While I did enjoy the sailing in Black Flag I missed exploring a big open city. Paris looks great and there are a few technical issues, character pop ins and some slowdowns but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. I feel the game has improved in its three areas: parkour, stealth and combat compared to previous games, parkour getting the biggest improvement.

I'm looking forward to putting in more time and seeing how my feelings change about the game over time.
I noticed that too but tbh I have a hard time blaming the game for it. At times there are so many people on the street it's mind boggling. I can't believe that despite this it looks that good. I mean, I already finished the game and I still find myself occasionally putting the controller down and marvel about the graphics. Nothing else I've seen has come close so far.

SomTervo

I'm a big Unity fan (I think the world immersion made up for the shortcomings for me) but I really enjoyed this post.

As much as I like Unity, they need to fucking sort their shit out. The series' potential has always been stratospheric. They've never realised that.

Just FYI

- I liked combat because it made it more challenging, even if it was still badly paced and had issues like camera
- I found the parkour 100% fine (very rarely got stuck on objects and learned to handle windows with consistent finesse)
- the story missions were still basically shit. Lots of the side missions are amazing though - you just need to find them/unlock them
- story was mostly a waste of time but I love that they cut out the bullshit modern day stuff
- the simulation... holy shit

IISANDERII

I've played a couple of hours but can't do any more. It's just a hassle getting through the city and finding shit in your base is a chore. There's too much little crap. The city looks great, many citizens and revolution happening etc but it doesn't amount to much, only obstacles you need to bypass.

And then it often tells me to upgrade my stuff before I can do a mission or something. You can bypass it but then I die in one swipe of their swords and it checkpoints me way across Paris

FFFUUU-.png

I think that sapped my last ounce of will. Black Flag was excellent, did every single side mission too and legendary ship. I even finished AC3. But this...I can't do this sir

Yeah it's really over for me with this series.
I loved AC2, but everything after that has just been a letdown.
I do like aspects of it and i love the city. But the game is such a mess.

Shutts

Neo Member
So it's $20 on US PSN. What's the current state of Unity on the PS4? Did they manage to sort out most bugs and framerate issues?

Is it worth it?

Rymuth

Borrowed it from a friend, so I'm not in a position to complain about wasting my money on this drek.

The best thing I can say about the game it is that it brought back Assassinations. Unity and the FIRST AC were the only games where there were some preparations involved. The set-up for the confessional assassination or the graveyard patrol ones were decent and better than anything the series shat out after AC1.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Borrowed it from a friend, so I'm not in a position to complain about wasting my money on this drek.

The best thing I can say about the game it is that it brought back Assassinations. Unity and the FIRST AC were the only games where there were some preparations involved. The set-up for the confessional assassination or the graveyard patrol ones were decent and better than anything the series shat out after AC1.
Jup. I just wish they had more perfect assassinations like the very first one for instance. You know, so that you get a special cutscene. For the first assassination you could
hide in that confessional box and then kill the guy
. Thought that was very neat. Shame they didn't put in more or this....

I know these games are kind of gameplay garbage but the art and atmosphere is so tremendous in them that it keeps me all the way through. Does Unity keep with that tradition? I was thinking about picking it up since it's really cheap now and Syndicate is a month off.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So it's $20 on US PSN. What's the current state of Unity on the PS4? Did they manage to sort out most bugs and framerate issues?

Is it worth it?
Yes but Syndicate comes out in a month so might be worth it to hold off and just play

Jup. I just wish they had more perfect assassinations like the very first one for instance. You know, so that you get a special cutscene. For the first assassination you could
hide in that confessional box and then kill the guy
. Thought that was very neat. Shame they didn't put in more or this....
They're doing more of this for Syndicate thankfully. I know of one particularly clever one that I won't spoil.

I know these games are kind of gameplay garbage but the art and atmosphere is so tremendous in them that it keeps me all the way through. Does Unity keep with that tradition? I was thinking about picking it up since it's really cheap now and Syndicate is a month off.
Unity not only is the most amazing looking AC game, it's one of the best looking games ever. Especially if you have a good pc. Best cinematography too.

Unity not only is the most amazing looking AC game, it's one of the best looking games ever. Especially if you have a good pc. Best cinematography too.

I'd be playing on PS4, and I don't really mean graphics so much as atmosphere. Unless that's what you're referring to as well. By atmosphere I mean a culmination of art, graphics, music, mood setting, etc.

Crossing Eden

I'd be playing on PS4, and I don't really mean graphics so much as atmosphere. Unless that's what you're referring to as well. By atmosphere I mean a culmination of art, graphics, music, mood setting, etc.
Well, yes. The only caveat is that there's no ambient music, (Austin Wintory + Lydia Andrew thankfully fixing this in Syndicate). I'd say that honestly no other city gives you such a good sense of place. Unless you're talking about W3, which has the best country side ever. >.>

Well, yes. The only caveat is that there's no ambient music, (Austin Wintory + Lydia Andrew thankfully fixing this in Syndicate). I'd say that honestly no other city gives you such a good sense of place. Unless you're talking about W3, which has the best country side ever. >.>

I'll still pick it up, I guess these things are subjective anyway. At least I can look forward to nice graphics if anything :p

Sami+

Absolutely hated it, felt ripped off at $20. Gameplay was trash, story was trash, graphics were mediocre. Every once in a while there's a good idea but they're few and far between. Series dropped like a fucking rock after Patrice got fired and never recovered.

AC1 is still my favorite for its setting and story, and introducing all the mechanics that were novel at the time.

Source for the bolded text? I'd love to see confirmation of this. I know Wintory is composing the game, which is by itself very exciting, but I'm eager to hear something one way or the other on ambient music specifically.

red36

Neo Member
Personally I felt it was the best AC i've ever played, thought It's quite close with Black Flag.

The atmosphere of the french revolution is amazing, the combat sort of fixed the lolwutriposte mechanics of the previous games. For me these were the 2 most important things. In general I felt Arno was a pretty likable AC main character.

Mainly though, for me as a history buff, I really enjoyed the setting. The setting, along with the lighting, was really nailed by the art team. I got the game 1 year after release, so I never took issue with the bugs as I experienced zero bugs. PC release.

Crossing Eden

Article that explains how it works.

Example
But you can hear an example here.

Also there's a comment from the man himself on the composer video but it's unlisted and i'm having trouble finding it. ._.

Very interesting - thanks for the link. Not trying to be obstinate, but it looks like the information in the link alludes to something more akin to Black Flag's or Rogue's shanties. While still very cool, I'd also like to see a return to an ambient music system à la II or Brotherhood. Unfortunately, I can't watch the video in the link at the moment - does it look like we'll be seeing the latter in addition to the former (ambient music as well as situational crier or pub "shanties")?

Crossing Eden

Very interesting - thanks for the link. Not trying to be obstinate, but it looks like the information in the link alludes to something more akin to Black Flag's or Rogue's shanties. While still very cool, I'd also like to see a return to an ambient music system à la II or Brotherhood. Unfortunately, I can't watch the video in the link at the moment - does it look like we'll be seeing the latter in addition to the former (ambient music as well as situational crier or pub "shanties")?
Yes.

Iceternal

Personally I felt it was the best AC i've ever played, thought It's quite close with Black Flag.

The atmosphere of the french revolution is amazing, the combat sort of fixed the lolwutriposte mechanics of the previous games. For me these were the 2 most important things. In general I felt Arno was a pretty likable AC main character.

Mainly though, for me as a history buff, I really enjoyed the setting. The setting, along with the lighting, was really nailed by the art team. I got the game 1 year after release, so I never took issue with the bugs as I experienced zero bugs. PC release.

It's absolutely terrible all around except for the graphics when they're not buggy.

Level design is an abomination , the enemy AI is atrocious and the story just bland and unfulfilling.

Yoday

I'm a huge AC fan, but I had skipped AC1 after the mediocre reviews, and got into the series with AC2. I tried AC1 briefly about six months after it came out, but it got extremely repetitive and I just stopped playing. Last week I decided to give it another shot and committed to finishing it with the aim being a full 1000 achievement points. When going into the game I had this idea that AC1 had such amazing and open assassinations that require preparation, as that is something I have seen from a fair number of people that hold that game up as the best in the series. I made it a point to do every single side mission and preparation mission leading up to each assassination, and I've got to say that I don't know what in the world you guys are talking about when it comes to how awesome these assassinations are.

First off is the preparation. Unless I am missing something here the preparation is really just an illusion. The "preparation" is nothing more than six extremely bad and extremely repetitive side missions leading up to the assassination that ultimately mean next to nothing. As for the assassinations themselves, they tend to go in one of two very basic ways. The first method is to just rush in killing everything in your path, and this ends in either a standard fight with the target or a chase with the target. The other way is that you try and approach the target without being detected, allowing you to stealth assassinate him. The stealth approach is the most interesting, but there is nothing unique about the stealth kills or how you do them. Even worse is the fact that the game doesn't have air assassinations, so even if you find an advantage point above your target you have to drop and climb down slowly so that you aren't heard, and then stab the target in the back. Doing that is probably the most interesting way of assassinating a target in the entire game, and that is only possible with targets that aren't surrounded by guards.

I have to imagine that nostalgia plays a huge role in the appeal for people that hold AC1 up as a high point in the series, because the game is super simple in every single aspect, and super repetitive on top of that. I know the huge jump from AC1 to AC2 is often brought up, but honestly I think it is a much bigger jump than most people even remember. And I'm sorry, but the assassinations just aren't what I think some people remember them to be. Comparing the assassinations in AC1 to what they did in Unity, as I have seen many people do, is just...no.

A lot of the same could be said for AC2 at this point too though. There are so many people that say "the series hasn't been good since AC2", or "AC2 is still the high point in the series". While I still enjoy the game, as I do all AC games, the series has progressed in gameplay a hell of a lot since AC2, and I think people are letting nostalgia color their views way too much.

red36

Neo Member
It's absolutely terrible all around except for the graphics when they're not buggy.

Level design is an abomination , the enemy AI is atrocious and the story just bland and unfulfilling.

Opinions, man. Everyone has em :). Clearly I posted in this thread expecting some rebuff to my opinion, but yeah. AI seemed on par with AC, and the level design was better than previous games in my experience. I remember maybe 1 design from AC1, but after that nothing sticks out, meanwhile with ACU several do. The story I enjoyed as much as the others, which albeit were not altogether impressive to me.

Top Bottom