• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded Review Thread

Griss

I just couldn't enjoy it on Vita. I'm willing to give it another chance though. A visual masterpiece. Stunning art and design.

Unfortunately, like all MM games, it comes off as more than a bit 'twee' to me, in a forced way. Especially the narration of their games. But the art is charming as hell.

Oneself

How can it be "better than the original" and get 7s ... Weird. Anyways, can't wait to get my hands on it next tuesday!!!

Mifune

Mehmber
I won't have time to play much but I'm still buying it to show support. People buy your quirky games, Sony! Please make more of them!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
No surprises here. It was a fantastic game on the Vita.

I played the PS4 version at E3 this year, and it was also just as charming, fun, and creative as the Vita version. I didn't have any problems with the tweaking of some of the mechanics for the PS4 touchpad.

I'm very tempted to pick this up, because it deserves more support, but my gaming budget for September is stretched very thin!

braves01

Banned
Is it still mostly a tech demo, or have they added new levels and stuff expanding on the original ideas from the Vita game?

eFKac

settled on 81 after 20 reviews, a bit lower than I expected but still very good.

Can't wait to play it for the first time.

I've no idea what people expect sometimes! 81 on Metacritic is an outstanding score for something like this. There are tons of very high scores, and even the "low" scores are still ultimately pretty high! XD

Carnby

What's the difficulty level of the original game? Could a four year old who is good at lego games enjoy Tearaway?

Floex

It was never mostly a tech demo, but the game is said to be about 50% new content.

Just of interest where have heard this? Played the majority of the game earlier in the year and this was definitely not true case unless they added alias of content at the last minute.

IGN review seems pretty silly. Never got to finish it on the Vita, so I'm all over this.

Not at all impressed with the way IGN's reviews have gone the past few years. Not to say it was ever my first source for reliable reviews, but they've really gone downhill.

As for the game, it was superb on Vita, kinda tempted to play it again, on PS4. However, day one'd it last time, this time I'll wait for a sale.

PaypayTR

Banned
I got pretty bored on PSVITA tbh.Combat mechanics pratically dont exist and camera integration thing in 2-3 minutes every time bored me to death. I liked some kinda stuff they did with back (rear pad) but thats it. Its pretty boring game to me but tastes i guess

Ridley327

What's the difficulty level of the original game? Could a four year old who is good at lego games enjoy Tearaway?

I'd say so. It's a very forgiving game, and the only difficulty that you would run into is going for the very few "don't die in this section" trophies.

Yes, but apparently Unfolded has waves of enemies that the original didn't have. I don't know how coordinated a 4-year-old is, but the enemies in the original were basic and could be defeated by jumping on them or throwing things at them (one button to pick up, aim, then one button to throw).

There was some timing-sensitive platforming later on in the game, so not sure how a 4-year-old would handle that.

The gsme is worth it for the soundtrack alone!

I'd completely forgotten about this - loved it on Vita so I'm definitely getting it on PS4. Looks like I have enough credit with Game to cover the cost entirely so I think that's me sorted.

Just of interest where have heard this? Played the majority of the game earlier in the year and this was definitely not true case unless they added alias of content at the last minute.

A quick search shows the "50% new content" tag coming out of last year's Gamescom after its reveal. Some of the reviews I've seen mention it as well; the reviews don't say "we counted and yup, it's at least 50% new!", what they say is that there is tons of new content.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Eh, he kinda has a point. The only truly good LBP game was the Vita one and MM didn't make it. I think calling Tearaway the only good MM game, or at least the only great one, is a fair statement. LBP2 was alright I guess.

Amir0x

Banned
Man glad to see this is apparently great. The original is one of the best games I've ever played, and I am eager to see how they turned the concept on its head to adapt it for PS4.

LBP was always fun as a multiplayer sandbox, I found it difficult to bother judging as a platformer, personally. I found Tearaway to be proof they could make something tighter while still very creative, so I'd probably still agree it's their best game without really dumping on LBP.

There is no consequence to death in the game. There are no limited lives. And if you die in some places, you actually respawn at the NEXT checkpoint, instead of the last. So yeah, I think it'd be fine.

Placiibo

Banned
Not at all impressed with the way IGN's reviews have gone the past few years. Not to say it was ever my first source for reliable reviews, but they've really gone downhill.

As for the game, it was superb on Vita, kinda tempted to play it again, on PS4. However, day one'd it last time, this time I'll wait for a sale.

Same boat. I thought IGN was too hard on LBP3 too. I remember they admitted their review was based on the pre-day 1 patch which fixed most of the issued they were criticizing.

So in sum, why does IGN hate Media Molecule these days?

will likely get this down the road. loved the visuals & gameplay on the vita, but, man, i hated the 'clever' narrators big time. first lbp2, then this: why does media molecule see the need for these oh-so-witty characters/narrators? they're like the complete opposite of 'charming'...

IvanJ

Banned
Loved it on Vita, and will surely play it on PS4, but this game looks to be a lock for PS+ ssometime next summer, so I'll just wait it out.
Glad it's getting good reviews, I expected that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Vita game was a tremendous experience, really glad more people will get to play it!

Hopefully it sells well, too. I want MM to have as much money as possible for Dreams.

Top Bottom