• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Yes, the front "explorer" can't jump, but the ship as a whole can. Heck, they show the whole ship doing a jump in the first article.
CO_Beauty_Supercollider.jpg

Though I must say, the concept of a jumpless exploration craft amuses me. More like a scout than exploration.

aliengmr

By the end of this year we should see a good amount of stuff that's coming. That's what I'm waiting for, if 2016 rolls around and there hasn't been much shown, I'll start to be concerned.

I want to see more of this:
Starliner_actionshot2_compFlat.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
It's the opposite - think of it like the Constellation with the Merlin docked. The body has the jump capacity, and the head (Explorer) can detach to do quick local activity. When finished, the Explorer attaches to the front again and the whole ship can jump out.

Ah. I misread, the ship won't be available as an exploration only ship. Hence not offering explorer pods standalone.

DrBo42

Yes, the front "explorer" can't jump, but the ship as a whole can. Heck, they show the whole ship doing a jump in the first article.

Though I must say, the concept of a jumpless exploration craft amuses me. More like a scout than exploration.

It's a pretty cool idea, I dig it. Looks great too. But yeah the head section is more of a scout, making the actual exploration ships like the constellation the more efficient choice as they should be.

Zalusithix

Ah. I misread, the ship won't be available as an exploration only ship. Hence not offering explorer pods standalone.

It's not really an exploration ship in general. That's the Carrack's domain. The "exploration" is more studying an existing system type than charting into the unknown. Seems to be you'd send your Carrack out to find new places/routes and do rough cartography. After that you'd send your combat ships in to lock the area down, and then pull the Endeavor in to do detailed analysis.

DrBo42

It's not really an exploration ship in general. That's the Carrack's domain. The "exploration" is more studying an existing system type than charting into the unknown. Seems to be you'd send your Carrack out to find new places/routes and do rough cartography. After that you'd send your combat ships in to lock the area down, and then pull the Endeavor in to do detailed analysis.

Wow. Have they spoken of exploration being that involved or is that speculation?

Zalusithix

Wow. Have they spoken of exploration being that involved or is that speculation?

Mostly a merger of what has been said in various channels.

The Endeavor can find points of interest within a solar system, but is weakly armed and not something you'd put in harms way. Sending it somewhere when you're not sure what's on the other side, isn't the best of ideas. The Carrack, on the other hand, is designed to find jump points and map them. It's also quite sturdy and designed for long treks into the unknown. You could substitute the Carrack with another exploration craft in the example, but the Carrack is the "big" one, so I used that.

At any rate, before you can get to a place, you have to have know where a sufficiently large jump point leading to the location is, and have it mapped. True exploration craft are designed to both find and map them. The mapping/charting in particular is supposed to be an active process. In addition to the exploration craft needing specialized computers to map it, you need to pilot the ship through it which is supposed to require quick reflexes. Failure can damage or destroy the ship. Once the point is successfully mapped, other ships will be able to safely traverse it if they have the data.

Thus the true exploration craft -> lockdown -> science craft sequence.

DrBo42

Mostly a merger of what has been said in various channels.

The Endeavor can find points of interest within a solar system, but is weakly armed and not something you'd put in harms way. Sending it somewhere when you're not sure what's on the other side, isn't the best of ideas. The Carrack, on the other hand, is designed to find jump points and map them. It's also quite sturdy and designed for long treks into the unknown. You could substitute the Carrack with another exploration craft in the example, but the Carrack is the "big" one, so I used that.

At any rate, before you can get to a place, you have to have know where a sufficiently large jump point leading to the location is, and have it mapped. True exploration craft are designed to both find and map them. The mapping/charting in particular is supposed to be an active process. In addition to the exploration craft needing specialized computers to map it, you need to pilot the ship through it which is supposed to require quick reflexes. Failure can damage or destroy the ship. Once the point is successfully mapped, other ships will be able to safely traverse it if they have the data.

Thus the true exploration craft -> lockdown -> science craft sequence.

Sounds good, thanks for the info.

CHC

So forgive me if it's like a running joke at this point, but.... when IS Squadron 42 (approximately) planned for release? Very hard to find anything concrete but I'm guessing "Autumn 2015" ain't happening....

So forgive me if it's like a running joke at this point, but.... when IS Squadron 42 (approximately) planned for release? Very hard to find anything concrete but I'm guessing "Autumn 2015" ain't happening....

We will likely get an updated roadmap at citizen con next week.

Don't forget that we haven't seen much from Foundry 42 so it's hard for us to guess. Based on precedence though, I would hope for first half of next year. Initial release is only the first 10 missions, so it won't be the entire campaign at once which likely helps production to get it out sooner though.

CHC

Don't forget that we haven't seen much from Foundry 42 so it's hard for us to guess. Based on precedence though, I would hope for first half of next year. Initial release is only the first 10 missions, so it won't be the entire campaign at once which likely helps production to get it out sooner though.

Great. I'm mainly looking forward to the single player portion of things for the time being, so the release of that is most likely when I'd put some money down. Thanks.

DrBo42

As someone that doesn't really keep track of Star Citizen events it seems like they have one of these every 2 months.

Kurosori

Banned
In the letter from Freyermuth:

And then you verified an unidentified employee by examining his "company ID card with the name blocked out." You might be interested to know that CIG does not issue any company ID cards at any of its studios!

And bim Escapist!

epmode

And then you verified an unidentified employee by examining his "company ID card with the name blocked out." You might be interested to know that CIG does not issue any company ID cards at any of its studios!

Amazing.

You know, next week on saturday... I am gonna run my comp to my TV, sit with some beers, and watch the live stream. How are you guys gonna do it?

It will be crazy... that is for certain. I am interested to see how the greater gaming community reacts to a trailer, gameplay reveal or otherwise. Hopefully with less condescension.

Let's hope I do not have an aneurism and die right before they reveal SQ42 just because the universe loves to spite me.

fark_2ycx3coubnc7z-doxexem.gif

phoenixyz

You know, next week on saturday... I am gonna run my comp to my TV, sit with some beers, and watch the live stream. How are you guys gonna do it?

It will be crazy... that is for certain. I am interested to see how the greater gaming community reacts to a trailer, gameplay reveal or otherwise. Hopefully with less condescension.

There is going to be a huge curtain. Drum roll, light show. And then it opens. CR in a tailored suit is standing in front of 20 Ferraris and a huge yacht und announces Star Citizen is canceled.

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

Outrun

CIG understands that if they do not control the public perception of this game, the amount of backers contributing for this game is going to dry up. And the problem that they face with their expanding scope is that they need a continuous flow of money.

Rightly or wrongly, perception is turning against this project. I hope that in the coming weeks CIG provides a concrete date for SQ42 and SC.

This is the only way to shut up naysayers. CIG is not a large and financially-secure enough entity (like Valve or Blizzard) to say that "the game will be released with it is ready"

I hope that they pull it off.

Daedardus

There is going to be a huge curtain. Drum roll, light show. And then it opens. CR in a tailored suit is standing in front of 20 Ferraris and a huge yacht und announces Star Citizen is canceled.

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

Ferraris? You can be sure he bought a whole fleet of Tesla Model Xs.

I think it will be all revealed that
Chris Roberts is actually Derek Smart.

KKRT00

Maybe repair bears? :p

I'm trying to organize free time next saturday to watch the stream, but its getting harder and harder ;/

-----
Rightly or wrongly, perception is turning against this project. I hope that in the coming weeks CIG provides a concrete date for SQ42 and SC.
Yeah, not going to happen. Also it would not shut the naysayers at all.

elyetis

I hope that in the coming weeks CIG provides a concrete date for SQ42 and SC.
If by concrete you mean a broad "Q1 2016" which end up delayed, I guess that's possible.

I mean... were are still waiting for Star Marine, let's be real, we can't allow ourself to have any expectation from them when it comes to release date. So let's be happy we will get to see some really cool stuff at citizen con, and hope that they at least get to release baby PU and star marine before then end of the year.

Then enjoy the wait till Arena Commander 2.0 and first part of SQ42 hopefully in the first half of the year. ( and cry in a corner at the Oculus CV1 release about the complete lack of work on VR support, and nvidia not releasing it's new cards soon enough )

inky

There is no way S42 is coming out before Q4 2016, m8s. Chris will want it to be absolutely perfect.

If legal action is taken against the Escapist you should revise that prediction my dear Zabo. Millions won in that lawsuit could result in even more feature creep ;P

CIG understands that if they do not control the public perception of this game, the amount of backers contributing for this game is going to dry up. And the problem that they face with their expanding scope is that they need a continuous flow of money.

This is the only way to shut up naysayers. CIG is not a large and financially-secure enough entity (like Valve or Blizzard) to say that "the game will be released with it is ready"

I hope that they pull it off.

But what if they don't? How about they don't give a release date for SQ42 or the persistant universe...yet they provide...

Customizable avatars for the PU/Social Module
FPS module
Arena Commander 2.0
More areas like Arctec

Will that result in public opinion allegedly eroding?

I'm gonna be right there in the crowd :D

I've had to warn my SO that it's going to be goofy, it's going to be cringy, there will be technical issues, and it wont start until it's at least 30 mins late. But hey, that's what it's all about!

aliengmr

I'm not sure that I should be hopeful or worried that this might be the case... At least not before I see a gameplay trailer of SQ42.

Its really one of the main problems, they keep trying to perfect everything when they should be getting it out there, bugs and all.

Geist-

Its really one of the main problems, they keep trying to perfect everything when they should be getting it out there, bugs and all.

Everything that's not SQ42 I agree completely. Give us everything, regardless of polish, as that's the reason I backed so early.

However I have a feeling that Chris and other devs have a hard time giving a product that doesn't work well or feel fun to the public. I mean, just look at what happened with Arena Commander.

Also, DiscoLando just posted this in response to disclosing financial records.
CIG Disco Lando | DiscoLando-CIG said:
1) Imagine you live a responsible fiscal life (whatever that means, it's kinda part of the problem here.)

2) Now imagine your parents saw your bank records, your grandparents, your significant other, their parents and grandparents...

3) Would they all have the same opinion of how you spent your money? Would any of them NOT have a single criticism of how you spent your money? They care about you, so they will always find someway in their minds for you to improve on how you're doing things.

4) Which one of them would be right? You, who are spending the money for you, or them, people who care about you and only want what's best for you, but don't live your life and know your requirements?

5) Ask 200 people what responsible fiscal spending is, and get 300+ answers.

6) Now imagine you do this with nearly ONE MILLION parents who care about you. And the press.

Also, DiscoLando just posted this in response to disclosing financial records.

Funny thing about this. I just had a discussion with a family member about this. I pay all my bills but also have enough to spend on items I find are worth it. Mostly in part because of my job. While they had a criticism of what I spent my money on, I had to remind them on the amount of times they said they wanted what I had, and how often the cheaper alternative for them either broke or went unused.

It is easy on the outside to assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom